Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

whatever76 wrote: »
    sorry hijacking cork city thread - any recommendations for early Sunday tea in Fermoy/Mitchelstown direction ( not corbett court ha ! ) ?
    Fermoy and Mitchelstown are chronically short of decent places to eat, there's honestly nowhere that I would feel confident recommending. The Forge was decent enough, but it closed down recently. At a push, The Grand is probably the best of a bad bunch, but it is very hit and miss. There is an Italian in Mitchelstown that is pretty good, Galileo's. Think it is BYO wine too.
    sporina wrote: »
    we always go to The Hunters Rest in Mitchelstown when we are in that area... they do a great steak sandwich etc...
    God I couldn't disagree more with this, any time I have been to Hunters Rest it has been very poor. It's been a while since I've been, so unless it has improved recently. But it always struck me as somewhere with far too vast a menu and suspiciously quick service, which leads me to believe everything is just reheated.

Hannah’s in Fermoy is very tasty. Reminds me of Perry St
    Hanna's is only open til 5 on a Sunday, it only does evening meals Thurs-Sat. It depends what the OP is looking for and what time, but if a cafe would suffice, the Hanna's is a great choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭sporina

ncmc wrote: »
    Fermoy and Mitchelstown are chronically short of decent places to eat, there's honestly nowhere that I would feel confident recommending. The Forge was decent enough, but it closed down recently. At a push, The Grand is probably the best of a bad bunch, but it is very hit and miss. There is an Italian in Mitchelstown that is pretty good, Galileo's. Think it is BYO wine too.

God I couldn't disagree more with this, any time I have been to Hunters Rest it has been very poor. It's been a while since I've been, so unless it has improved recently. But it always struck me as somewhere with far too vast a menu and suspiciously quick service, which leads me to believe everything is just reheated.

Hanna's is only open til 5 on a Sunday, it only does evening meals Thurs-Sat. It depends what the OP is looking for and what time, but if a cafe would suffice, the Hanna's is a great choice.

well not tried anywhere else in M'town.. it suits us after a day on the hills near by..
    depends what OP is looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

maybe not fine dining - was never there... but the new offering is gonna be a step below apparently - or more casual.. so if it was bad then, well i dread to think what the new place will be like in terms of what they offer.. thats what i mean

In fairness, if you never went to Rachel's, it's a bit harsh to be dreading what the new place will be like. I hadn't been to Rachel's either, didn't like that they didn't have prices online, but might give this new place a shot.

In fairness, if you never went to Rachel's, it's a bit harsh to be dreading what the new place will be like. I hadn't been to Rachel's either, didn't like that they didn't have prices online, but might give this new place a shot.

i didn't go because almost everyone i know who went would not recommend it.. and the main feedback was that the food was no where worth the money (not to mention other complaints)..

hence my post

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

whatever76 wrote: »
    sorry hijacking cork city thread - any recommendations for early Sunday tea in Fermoy/Mitchelstown direction ( not corbett court ha ! ) ?

How ridiculously overrated is Corbett court!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

How ridiculously overrated is Corbett court!
    I know someone who worked in Corbett Court and the stories she told me where just shocking. Food cooked at the start of the week and just reheated as the week went on, breakfast items cooked by the night porter and left sitting out for inadequate storage facilities etc. Last time I was there, I ordered pasta and it came out steaming hot literally 5 mins later. No way the pasta could have been cooked fresh. Whatever about reheating sauce, I would at least expect the pasta to be fresh. It’s also gotten quite expensive in recent times, especially given the standard of food. The car park is always jammed when I pass though! Seems inexplicable to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

maybe not fine dining - was never there... but the new offering is gonna be a step below apparently - or more casual.. so if it was bad then, well i dread to think what the new place will be like in terms of what they offer.. thats what i mean

You see I read it as a decor change. It was echoey and noisy in there with the decor, you couldn’t really hear your companions. The service was a bit stiff for the food, which was simple food.

Booths, fabric and a more relaxed manner of service was what I understood.

Dreading going into a place you’ve never been is a bit much.

pwurple wrote: »
    You see I read it as a decor change. It was echoey and noisy in there with the decor, you couldn’t really hear your companions. The service was a bit stiff for the food, which was simple food.

Booths, fabric and a more relaxed manner of service was what I understood.

Dreading going into a place you’ve never been is a bit much.

it was a figure of speech..

anyway i imagine that the food will also be more casual as quote "less formal dining experience" and "new menu offerings"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Rachels was still pitched as a high class place in fairness. Some of the menu items were simple but it was aiming at the bigger spending customers. Went once and didn't rate it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

ncmc wrote: »
    I know someone who worked in Corbett Court and the stories she told me where just shocking. Food cooked at the start of the week and just reheated as the week went on, breakfast items cooked by the night porter and left sitting out for inadequate storage facilities etc. Last time I was there, I ordered pasta and it came out steaming hot literally 5 mins later. No way the pasta could have been cooked fresh. Whatever about reheating sauce, I would at least expect the pasta to be fresh. It’s also gotten quite expensive in recent times, especially given the standard of food. The car park is always jammed when I pass though! Seems inexplicable to me.
    Agree, the microwaves are on full blast in that kitchen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Finally ate in The Bookshelf in the Elysian for some brunch this weekend and have to say that it's a really cool space, coffee was top notch, I thought the food was grand, not particularly brilliant although the menu seems very good, I'll be back to try one or two more things. I'm not sure how long they're open but the staff made a couple of mistakes and was close to complaining for how we were spoken to at one point but by the time I went to pay I figured it would have been pedantic so left it off, nothing too serious but small kinks in service I would say.

I'll try the food again but thought it was only okay for the price & the service could do with some minor improvement, I'll definitely head back to give it another bash, maybe try the evening menu instead of brunch, reckon it would be a good spot to start a night out with some cocktails.

Went to Ali's Kitchen for brunch recently. Pretty good. Nothing amazing. Would go back but wouldn't go out of the way to.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

D'Agger wrote: »
    Finally ate in The Bookshelf in the Elysian for some brunch this weekend and have to say that it's a really cool space, coffee was top notch, I thought the food was grand, not particularly brilliant although the menu seems very good, I'll be back to try one or two more things. I'm not sure how long they're open but the staff made a couple of mistakes and was close to complaining for how we were spoken to at one point but by the time I went to pay I figured it would have been pedantic so left it off, nothing too serious but small kinks in service I would say.

I'll try the food again but thought it was only okay for the price & the service could do with some minor improvement, I'll definitely head back to give it another bash, maybe try the evening menu instead of brunch, reckon it would be a good spot to start a night out with some cocktails.

Had dinner there last week - really tasty! Thought the menu was a bit limited for dinner options, but what we ordered was great. Can only say positive things about the staff - found everyone we dealt with very friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 fuzzyduck4

Any reports from Ichigo Ichie?

I went here a few weeks ago, while I was very impressed with it and I thought every course was very unique I have a few reservations about the place. A lot of the dishes werent to my liking, this just my own preference and not a reflection of the place, 3 or 4 of the dishes were japanese broth /soup which I found difficult to enjoy. The fish/duck on the menus were both exceptional 10/10. Overall if I had a friend coming to Cork I'd have to recommend either Greenes/Jacques or Market Lane over Ichigo Ichie, but again thats just my own preference. Id be inclined to give it 7 or 8 /10, but would not be inclined to return..

fuzzyduck4 wrote: »
    I went here a few weeks ago, while I was very impressed with it and I thought every course was very unique I have a few reservations about the place. A lot of the dishes werent to my liking, this just my own preference and not a reflection of the place, 3 or 4 of the dishes were japanese broth /soup which I found difficult to enjoy. The fish/duck on the menus were both exceptional 10/10. Overall if I had a friend coming to Cork I'd have to recommend either Greenes/Jacques or Market Lane over Ichigo Ichie, but again thats just my own preference. Id be inclined to give it 7 or 8 /10, but would not be inclined to return..

I know exactly what you mean. I felt some of the dishes were a little unpleasant in the texture and flavour. It was certainly challenging at times. I had a very tough piece of duck also.

At the time I though I wouldn't return. I now want to try again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

fuzzyduck4 wrote: »

Yes, some of the asian textures can be a funny texture for us westerners. I found the daikon to be a weird texture at first.

BUT, I really much prefer the authenticity to remain, rather than it be diluted to the mass Irish tastes. I want Italian restaurants to be how they eat in Italy, Thai food to blow my head off and not to be made 'mild', Indian to be as spicy and full flavoured as it really should be, and Irish food to be our own dishes full of butter, rich fats and cabbages. :)

This is the very best thing about ichiego ichi. It's whole-heartedly what it says it is... Japanese food, by a Japanese man living in Ireland, using the ingredients here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, some of the asian textures can be a funny texture for us westerners. I found the daikon to be a weird texture at first.

BUT, I really much prefer the authenticity to remain, rather than it be diluted to the mass Irish tastes. I want Italian restaurants to be how they eat in Italy, Thai food to blow my head off and not to be made 'mild', Indian to be as spicy and full flavoured as it really should be, and Irish food to be our own dishes full of butter, rich fats and cabbages. :)

This is the very best thing about ichiego ichi. It's whole-heartedly what it says it is... Japanese food, by a Japanese man living in Ireland, using the ingredients here.

+100
    So many restaurants start off good and end up being rubbish by pandering to conservative tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Went to RUM last night, wont be going back for food. While they claim to be a tapas place, there aren't many Spanish dishes on the menu. It does include stir fry, burgers, steak, and a cream carbonara however. Tried the patatas bravas, which were boiled potatoes served in a slightly sweet tomato sauce covered in fake parmesan. Had some other small dishes, all were mediocre, except the Spanish fries - they were so salty they were practically inedible.

Decent cocktails though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

nerwen wrote: »
    Went to RUM last night, wont be going back for food. While they claim to be a tapas place, there aren't many Spanish dishes on the menu. It does include stir fry, burgers, steak, and a cream carbonara however. Tried the patatas bravas, which were boiled potatoes served in a slightly sweet tomato sauce covered in fake parmesan. Had some other small dishes, all were mediocre, except the Spanish fries - they were so salty they were practically inedible.

Decent cocktails though.

I’d allways be wary of a place that has closed and re-branded before re-opening again,several times, like that premises has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Where or what is rum?
    (not that I'm likely to go after the above review)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Went to West cork burger today.

Lovely burger they never a disappointment.

But I got barely any chips after paying for them with my burger. I had to other more as I got so little. The 2nd ones were as bad as the 1st could nearly count the chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Markcheese wrote: »
    Where or what is rum?
    (not that I'm likely to go after the above review)

It’s on Marlborough street near the old Clancy’s

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Short changing an Irish person on their spuds is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Something new going into the old meatball place. Want to be very good that unit is a graveyard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Water John wrote: »
    Short changing an Irish person on their spuds is not a good idea.

Tell me about it I love their burgers they are so tasty and nice but you barely get any chips.

I know their fresh chips but when you see kids getting more chips with there burgers then myself and my girlfriend you know who are fully grown audits !!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

rob316 wrote: »
    Something new going into the old meatball place. Want to be very good that unit is a graveyard

The Hugenots are haunting that place, nothing ever works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Spitjack for breakfast this morning. Very good, with very attentive unobtrusive service. Small point, the tea cups were bowl shape, very wide at the top and tea cooled very quickly. Food, was very tasty.

was in Bantry and Kenmare for the weekend..

Lunch in The Stuffed Olive was delicious.. salads for lunch followed my not so ordinary bakewell bun - it was divine..

Dinner in The Maritime.. the nicest Seabass I have possibly ever had.. omg i can still taste it now.. sweet and so fresh..

Lunch in PF McCarthys Kenmare, Broccoli and Shallot soup with homemade brown bread.. simple food done well - twas medicinal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

Just saw that Wow Burger is closed.

Didn't even make it the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

ThePott wrote: »
    Just saw that Wow Burger is closed.

Didn't even make it the year.

Their chips were lovely, burger was fair,needed more seasoning. It seems we're at peak burger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement