Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

I decided to pop into the Groves in Blackpool again after reading the piece on the best breakfast in Cork in the Echo.
    It was very busy which I thought was a good sign, I was wrong.
    The table service was bad, had to take my order twice, and the toast, coffee, food was literally thrown across the table, no joke.
    The breakfast was a massive let down, overcooked egg, rasher and plate covered in mushroom juice.
    The place itself need a massive clean and a few Euro spent on it.
    My takeaway from it was I trust reviews on here more than the Evening Echo!

In other news I see a lot of coffee recommendations in the last few pages, would these coffees be better than my current favorite Filter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

11214 wrote: »
    I decided to pop into the Groves in Blackpool again after reading the piece on the best breakfast in Cork in the Echo.
    <->

In other news I see a lot of coffee recommendations in the last few pages, would these coffees be better than my current favorite Filter?

From his list I would choose "Silver Key" as best pub breakfast.

Filter is already great, I had guest from abroad here and they were surprises how good the coffee in Cork was compared to their home. Some year ago there was already a discussion about best coffee in Cork and filter was among the recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

11214 wrote: »
    It was very busy which I thought was a good sign, I was wrong.
    The table service was bad, had to take my order twice, and the toast, coffee, food was literally thrown across the table, no joke.
    The breakfast was a massive let down, overcooked egg, rasher and plate covered in mushroom juice.
    The place itself need a massive clean and a few Euro spent on it.
    My takeaway from it was I trust reviews on here more than the Evening Echo!

That is a god awful list in d'Echo. Unusual choice of a person to write too - a radio presenter rather than a food writer/blogger?

Not sure how much weight I'd put in any list that has Wetherspoons included in the pub grub section, though.

Nice shout for Tara's Tea Rooms but beyond that...

For me, if it's breakfast, I'm looking at (in no particular order!) The Parlour, the Bookshelf (Elysian or South Mall), Good Day Deli and Spitjack. Any other recommendations?

Is Liberty Grill still as popular as ever? Always enjoyed my meals in there, just never thought it was worth the queue on a Saturday morning. Think it is better/has more variety for lunch and dinner too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

That is a god awful list in d'Echo.

Agreed, totally misinformed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That is a god awful list in d'Echo. Unusual choice of a person to write too - a radio presenter rather than a food writer/blogger?

Not sure how much weight I'd put in any list that has Wetherspoons included in the pub grub section, though.

Nice shout for Tara's Tea Rooms but beyond that...

For me, if it's breakfast, I'm looking at (in no particular order!) The Parlour, the Bookshelf (Elysian or South Mall), Good Day Deli and Spitjack. Any other recommendations?

Is Liberty Grill still as popular as ever? Always enjoyed my meals in there, just never thought it was worth the queue on a Saturday morning. Think it is better/has more variety for lunch and dinner too.

I'm a big fan of Ali's Kitchen, its well worth a try. The River Lee is another great spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

De Calf in the cornmarket centre is good for breakfast and reasonably priced. Love the pancakes and french toast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Velo is nice too, bit on the pricy side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

Velo is nice too, bit on the pricy side though.

Nice you are right , but the prices have gone mad over the last few weeks

rob316 wrote: »
    De Calf in the cornmarket centre is good for breakfast and reasonably priced. Love the pancakes and french toast

Are the pancakes American style or more crepe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

What is docklands like? Can't see much as their website is down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

The Groves in Blackpool is an absolute kip, don't know how anyone from the Echo recommended it.

northgirl wrote: »
    Are the pancakes American style or more crepe?

American style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Dbu wrote: »
    Nice you are right , but the prices have gone mad over the last few weeks
    As a result of the Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lets be clear VAT changes happen Jan 1st 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

CptMackey wrote: »
    What is docklands like? Can't see much as their website is down.

Yeah. Odd that they have no website. Was planning on going there recently but decided on elsewhere that had online menus to check in advance.

Another example of places not getting the simple stuff right. And then they wonder why they are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Water John wrote: »
    Lets be clear VAT changes happen Jan 1st 2019.
    Not sure if true but I heard places put up prices already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

The Groves in Blackpool is an absolute kip, don't know how anyone from the Echo recommended it.

Try read the reviews if you get a chance, utter bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I can understand any business adjusting prices by say 5%, that's 50 cent on a €10 breakfast or light lunch. Price jumping is another matter.

Similarly the VAT increase will mean 45 cent on a a €10 breakfast or light lunch, next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Looks like Wildways won't be returning on Prince's Street. Saw a banner up in the window last week to the effect of "Coming soon, new pizzeria" with the rather unappetising title of "Burnt".:confused:

byronbay2 wrote: »
    with the rather unappetising title of "Burnt".:confused:

Moronic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Booked in for Isaacs tonight. Looking forward to trying the steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mardyke wrote: »
    Yeah. Odd that they have no website. Was planning on going there recently but decided on elsewhere that had online menus to check in advance.

Another example of places not getting the simple stuff right. And then they wonder why they are struggling.

For the crime of having a website under development? It’s hardly their primary business is it?

Also, from Harolds, to Club Brasserie, to their newest incarnation Docklands, those guys have to surely among the most successful restaurant owners in the city. My parents used to go there when I was a kid, so that’s at least 30 years of longevity there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Had brunch in the Bookshelf in the Elysian today. Was fab! Really nice place and the food was lovely. Great brunch menu too. Staff were all lovely. We were waiting a while for our food (but not much longer than other busy places) and the manager came over being very apologetic and offered us each a free coffee. Thought it was a nice touch as we didn’t complain about the wait or anything.

Will be back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

pwurple wrote: »
    For the crime of having a website under development? It’s hardly their primary business is it?

Also, from Harolds, to Club Brasserie, to their newest incarnation Docklands, those guys have to surely among the most successful restaurant owners in the city. My parents used to go there when I was a kid, so that’s at least 30 years of longevity there?

Harold’s in the east village where Ramen is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Harold’s in the east village where Ramen is?

Yep Harolds Douglas, then Citrus then Club Brasserie which is now the wonderful Docklands.

Before Harolds, Harold Lynch was chef at Lovetts on Churchyard Lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yep Harolds Douglas, then Citrus then Club Brasserie which is now the wonderful Docklands.

Before Harolds, Harold Lynch was chef at Lovetts on Churchyard Lane.

I worked in both his restaurant, house and his Wife’s clothes shops in a previous job. Lovely people, often wondered what they were at these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I worked in both his restaurant, house and his Wife’s clothes shops in a previous job. Lovely people, often wondered what they were at these days

They are that, Beth is terrific as front of house, doing a decent trade by the sounds of it too which is great !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

Went to Da Mirco the weekend - highly recommend !

Food simple but done really well and v tasty . Mirco himself is lovely and certainly lives to his ethos !!
    Nice atmosphere as well … hope it does well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

Outsirlde the city but we ate in The Pepperstack at Rosie's pub in Aghada at the weekend.
    Food and service was very good.
    Most people in the group had soup which was lovely, I had wings which weren't great, fried too long and served with a small bowl of sauce to did them in.
    Everything else was really nice tho, the chicken supreme with mash and bacon was probably the best although the roast pork and beef were lovely too.
    For dessert, I had a brownie which was probably the nicest one I've had, very light after a big meal. Others had apple tart, ice cream and raspberry rulade and they all got devoured.
    3 courses for €25 which was good value.

• Advertisement

Dwyer's of cork a new pub opening where Rachel's was. As I told everyone it was closing and wasn't reopening. Monty has lost a fortune on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement