Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Finally a Boojum comes to Cork!:D Is it all it's cracked up to be? Where is it exactly?
    Its on Winthrop Street where Gino's used to be. I passed it twice on Thursday and once on Friday and each time the queue was back to the door so I'd say their opening is certainly doing well. I havent tried it yet myself though, I'll wait for the queue to die down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Zamora was owned by two wine shop guys, which is why the wine list was great!
    Good chefs are expensive to employ, I'd say the finances didn't work. Chef's who run their own places underpay themselves I reckon... all guessing on my part there btw.

The hotels as well have better wine lists. Always forget them, oops. Hayfield manor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭sporina

pwurple wrote: »
    Zamora was owned by two wine shop guys, which is why the wine list was great!
    Good chefs are expensive to employ, I'd say the finances didn't work. Chef's who run their own places underpay themselves I reckon... all guessing on my part there btw.

yeah i heard the same - they are bound to open something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Star Anise has a very good wine list.
    The owners partner was a wine rep for years.
    They are into their wine.

Star Anise has a very good wine list.
    The owners partner was a wine rep for years.
    They are into their wine.

fab restaurant too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The Cork Boojum is not at the standard of there other shops yet, I'm sure it will improve over time

We had a nice lunch/brunch in Fenn's quay at the weekend. They do brunch on saturday, which was news to me, so maybe it will interest you good people.  

I had spiced beef with fried potato, spinach and a poached egg. Yum. Highly recommend it. 

Got pancakes for the kids, they scoffed them down. The pancakes were a little unusual I thought. Very tall, taller even than american ones. More like a wide scone than a pancake. Fenn's quay is lovely for children actually, they do half portions of everything on their ordinary menu, rather than the crappy 'chips and nuggets' offerings you get some places.
    Anyway, everyone was happy out. They'd a good few specials going as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,586 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Clancys has closed, ate there a few times and liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Bunsen hiring at the moment, won't be long now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

sozbox wrote: »
    Bunsen hiring at the moment, won't be long now

Do we know where it's going yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Do we know where it's going yet?

No idea. Can't find any info on location

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Clancys has closed, ate there a few times and liked it

well i don't like to see businesses go under but I heard the staff were informed via text at 3am. From the deplorable experience I had with management in there - I am not surprised by this - terrible. I feel sorry for the staff. I won't miss it though cos I have not stood in it since that night in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Any suggestions for good places to eat with a toddler around the city - has to have space for them to roam a bit. Feels like a long time since I've been anywhere other than Milano's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

okedoke wrote: »
    Any suggestions for good places to eat with a toddler around the city - has to have space for them to roam a bit. Feels like a long time since I've been anywhere other than Milano's.

There's a decent cafe in The Opera House. Not a lot of seating but good grub and plenty of open space for toddlers. The Clarion (Clayton) is another option. Food probably average but loads of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

kcb wrote: »
    There's a decent cafe in The Opera House. Not a lot of seating but good grub and plenty of open space for toddlers. The Clarion (Clayton) is another option. Food probably average but loads of space.

Opera House is a good suggestion thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

kcb wrote: »

Was at the Cara O'Sullivan show on Sunday evening and passed by the café...looked nice.

okedoke wrote: »

Market lane provides colouring pencils. I like italee as well for lunchtime for children. Speedy service is the key! ;)

I have smallies myself, and try my best to keep them contained to the table. I bring a pack of colouring stuff and stickers in my bag for it.

People are walking around with hot things in restaurants, I don't want tea or coffee landing on their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

The Crawford is lovely for lunch as well and child friendly !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have smallies myself, and try my best to keep them contained to the table. I bring a pack of colouring stuff and stickers in my bag for it.

People are walking around with hot things in restaurants, I don't want tea or coffee landing on their head.

I was going to say something along those lines but as I don't have kids I decided not to. I'm glad a parent did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Last week I noticed a new place going in beside Greenes. I didn't seem to be too far off opening. Does anyone know whether or not it has opened yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Seriously guys, keep on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

<SNIP>

What did I JUST say???? On with the recommending of restaurants please....for food....

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Lemag wrote: »
    Last week I noticed a new place going in beside Greenes. I didn't seem to be too far off opening. Does anyone know whether or not it has opened yet?

It's Cask, a new cocktail bar that will service small plates/tapas as well. Opening next week by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Went to Raymond's in Midleton . great feed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Early bird in Donovans Midleton recently. Cracking value and great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 IrishBelle

I would say the food in the cafe at the Opera House is very good, much better than average. The service was fantastic too. It is quite small though, which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Could someone suggest somewhere nice in the City Centre for a midweek birthday lunch? Tend to head to Market Lane which is excellent but fancy a change.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Could someone suggest somewhere nice in the City Centre for a midweek birthday lunch? Tend to head to Market Lane which is excellent but fancy a change.

How about the restaurant side of the farmgate upstairs in the market?

Club brasserie

Gallaghers

Liberty grill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

We had a nice lunch/brunch in Fenn's quay at the weekend. They do brunch on saturday, which was news to me, so maybe it will interest you good people.  

I had spiced beef with fried potato, spinach and a poached egg. Yum. Highly recommend it. 

I love the brunch on Saturday in Fenn's, I almost always have some variation of the fried potato too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

mimihops wrote: »
    It's Cask, a new cocktail bar that will service small plates/tapas as well. Opening next week by all accounts.
    Mccurtain street filling up with some nice restaurants/bars - quite a trendy part of the city now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement