Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Mumha wrote: »
    Also on Washington Street, it appears a Rotisserie is about to open, and the sign says Rotisserie Meats rather than just chicken.

I noticed that too. Spitjack, it's called. I'm undecided about whether I like that name in connection with food :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

nerwen wrote: »
    I did try Huckleberry's donuts and they were really nice, not too overboard with the glaze, which is my preferred way. The cinnamon sugar one was awesome, but the custard creme was really more of a custard sauce and there was custard eeeeeverywhere.

The problem I have with Huckleberry's is the price, sure they are fairly tasty, but when I'm in the America and I go to Dunkin's, I buy 3 donuts and a coffee. 3 donuts and a coffee cost €12 in this place.

€3 is a lot for a single donut, saying that though the place is doing well and is selling out everyday so the rest of their market obviously don't think the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 IrishBelle

Moved to Cork just over a year ago, and I have to say that boy does this city know how to do good food! So much choice!

Went to Barry's in Douglas last weekend, and the food was really good. As was the service.

Any suggestions where to go next? Mind you, judging by the last few posts I really should have tried Orso by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

We also went to Barry's recently and found it very good...clean plates all round and lovely staff..colouring available for the children also which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I tried a good few different types of doughnut from the Ali's kitchen in Paul St, I had heard they were amazing. I wouldn't be a fan at all, way too sweet and overfilled for my liking. The filling totally takes over the doughnut. I felt the same when I tried the doughnuts in Aungier Danger in Dublin. This fad is not for me I have to say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

IrishBelle wrote: »
    Moved to Cork just over a year ago, and I have to say that boy does this city know how to do good food! So much choice!

Went to Barry's in Douglas last weekend, and the food was really good. As was the service.

Any suggestions where to go next? Mind you, judging by the last few posts I really should have tried Orso by now!
    Eco's next door to Barry's is nice too! Big portions and tasty food at decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 IrishBelle

Thanks, that will be going on the list! The list is lengthy at this point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

ncmc wrote: »
    I tried a good few different types of doughnut from the Ali's kitchen in Paul St, I had heard they were amazing. I wouldn't be a fan at all, way too sweet and overfilled for my liking. The filling totally takes over the doughnut. I felt the same when I tried the doughnuts in Aungier Danger in Dublin. This fad is not for me I have to say!
    I feel the same about Aungier Danger. They're just too much. I haven't tried Huckleberry's (or Ali's Kitchen) but I saw pictures of them online and they look like they have the same issue as Aungier Danger; overfilled and too big.

Offbeat Donuts in Dublin is an example of the trend done right. Not too big, not overfilled, very fresh and not too sweet. (Depending on which one you get, obviously!) A box of 3 (because why would you not get a box of 3?) costs €6, which is not excessive given the quality.

Hopefully the new place in Cork is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

ncmc wrote: »
    Eco's next door to Barry's is nice too! Big portions and tasty food at decent prices.

It was only in recent times that I found out that Eco is owned by Dave Halpin, who had the wonderful Halpins Restaurant in Cook Street (where La Gourmandaise is now). I used to love the Stuffed Chicken breast and the Chicken Curry ...mmmm hungry now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

We tried 12 Tables in Douglas today for lunch. The pulled pork sandwich is very good although it is served in a burger bun. Service friendly and plenty of staff. I think it should state that it is a cafe outside. I knew it only opened by day but I thought there would be a bit more choice on the menu. Basically it's burgers, a few salads, cakes and coffee. Not really a restaurant IMO. It's really noisy in there too. We had to shout to hear each other. The concrete floor and loud music didn't help.

• Advertisement

Had brunch in the white rabbit BBQ today, holy god the blueberry pancakes with blueberry maple syrup are amazing :eek:

Had the potato hash too which was good but not on the level of the pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

To weigh in on the doughnuts conversation - as a fan of Dunkin Donuts when in the states I really felt a place similar to Aungier Danger would do well in Cork and I'm glad to see that's the case - on the pricing, Huckleberrys are first to the market and selling out so power to them, good to see some competition which may change that - again, that's no harm, once the market isn't saturated resulting in closures down the line.

Rotasarie Meats sounds unreal, can't wait to hear more on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

D'Agger wrote: »

Rotasarie Meats sounds unreal, can't wait to hear more on that!

And according to the blurb, they went to Spain to learn how to do the chicken their way. I'm sure anyone who has seen the rotisserie units at Spanish markets will have had the same thought I had that this would go down very well in Ireland. That said, a small takeaway unit in the right location, would do the job too. Speaking of which, I'm surprised Lennox in Bandon Road haven't made more of their Rotisserie oven, especially when it comes to using different flavours....there's a market there imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I was at the Silver Key the other night and I was very impressed by the place. We were a group of 6. Every one of us ordered something different and we all really enjoyed our food. There was nothing left on the plates. The staff were really nice aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I was at the Silver Key the other night and I was very impressed by the place. We were a group of 6. Every one of us ordered something different and we all really enjoyed our food. There was nothing left on the plates. The staff were really nice aswell.

Great place, the Silver Key. My mum and dad love it, they go so often the staff know them by now! We were there Saturday night again and food was lovely as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

We went to Holy Smoke at the weekend, had been there a while back and food was great but service poor enough. They had just opened then though so said we'd try it again. This time, food was good, service still a bit all over the place...We got burnt ends as a side the last time and they were amazing, brisket with excellent caramelised crunchy bits, so I got it again as a main but it wasn't as good. Overall pretty good but wouldn't be in a mad rush back. Espresso martini was good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just wondering, where did you park, if you drove? It can be painful to get anything there with the chipper and bookies.

Just wondering, where did you park, if you drove? It can be painful to get anything there with the chipper and bookies.

Parking is mad there. There were a few spaces on churchyard lane so we were lucky to get a space down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Parking is mad there. There were a few spaces on churchyard lane so we were lucky to get a space down there.

Ah.. that's what I was hoping you wouldn't say.

It's double yellow the whole way there, because it's so narrow. There are disabled and elderly residents, and there have been problems with ambulances unable to get there.

Just a heads up, a couple of them are really annoyed about it, and they have started calling the gardai everytime they are blocked in. Cars parked there, and in the bus lane nearby are getting fined.

Try ardmahon, or across the road in beaumont instead... much wider there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

pwurple wrote: »

It's double yellow the whole way there, because it's so narrow. There are disabled and elderly residents, and there have been problems with ambulances unable to get there.

Just a heads up, a couple of them are really annoyed about it, and they have started calling the gardai everytime they are blocked in. Cars parked there, and in the bus lane nearby are getting fined.

Absolutely pwurple! I'm from that area and it is so important to be careful about parking legally there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

pwurple wrote:

The major problem is people who are not from the area, parking there and getting the bus in to town. I seriously don't know how it is not policed in some way yet, it is happening for years and years. Council probably own the land, so yeah people can park there. But in my opinion the council have a duty to people to allow them enjoy the businesses in the area and a duty to the businesses who are paying hefty rates to facilitate some sort of customer parking. Aswell as a duty to residents who are being infringed upon. All of which can be solved easily imo.

I'm only 5 mins drive away from there and have many a time been put off going there in bad weather by having to park so far away. Also the cycle Lane is not for parking!!!! Grrrr!!!!

Anyway back on topic. Was in Son of a bun last week and amazing as always. Also went to rising sons and had their tenner pizza+pint deal, great value and gorgeous pizza again

I'm not from the area but to be fair where we parked was down at the very end by where it meets well road. No way would we have parked on a double yellow or blocked anyone in. Or at least I dont think there's a double yellow down there. But I can totally understand residents not being impressed.

Good to know about Ardmahon and Beaumont though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

OK.... was in Cafe Depeche last week - one of us got a decaff coffee and asked for a pot if hot water - so reg americano is €2.60 = the decaff was €3.10 (xtra for a decaff) and €1.50 for a pot of hot water!!!!! I kid you not. I thought it was so bad that it was hilarious.. jaysus won't be going there again...

My mate only drinks decaff and always gets a pot of hot water with it to stretch it out.. never noticed a diff in price b/t reg/decaff - and never charged for hot water in a cafe!! Scandalous!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

sporina wrote: »
    OK.... was in Cafe Depeche last week - one of us got a decaff coffee and asked for a pot if hot water - so reg americano is €2.60 = the decaff was €3.10 (xtra for a decaff) and €1.50 for a pot of hot water!!!!! I kid you not. I thought it was so bad that it was hilarious.. jaysus won't be going there again...

My mate only drinks decaff and always gets a pot of hot water with it to stretch it out.. never noticed a diff in price b/t reg/decaff - and never charged for hot water in a cafe!! Scandalous!

That should be one for Neil! Would be interesting to see what they say

sporina wrote: »

The owner is a misery guts its well known around the street.

rob316 wrote: »
    The owner is a misery guts its well known around the street.

ahhhhhhh i see... emmmmm....

my mate and i were joking about steeling a cup and saucer.. just for the laugh.. obv we didn't - it was more of a funny thought/fantasy.. a tiny part of we would have loved to do it just out of boldness... not our style though..

the place was v busy though.. so regardless of our experience and the rep of the owner.. it seems to do well.. era let them at it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The coffee is excellent and the staff friendly. Never order hot water so never bothered me. It is expensive full stop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciara11

Bringing up Cornstore again but feel i have to, I have been there numerous times in the past and it was excellent. Was there at weekend with 2 kids and 5 adults. Overall, i think prices are similar but portion sizes down and not as tasty. I got duck breast and there were 4 small slices, hardly any veg that was supposed to be on plate, and was advertised to be roast potatoes and they were bland, and soggy... the seemed like the vacuum pack pre-packaged potatoes. General consensus was not that great on taste. Front of house service very inattentive, no one checked on us at any stage. Kids food came out and then long gap for adults. one adult had starter and once that was cleared it took about 30 mins for mains and we had already waited about 30 mins for that one starter . one order was wrong supposed to be chips instead of mash, error was pointed out and chips given.. charged for chips.
    OVerall very disappointed as I had really loved dining there. sad to say wont be going back , Maybe its a more recent thing - all the recent reviews on facebook are poor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciara11

As for DeCaf.. once i was charged 3e for an americano never gone back. ridiculous

• Advertisement

Ciara11 wrote: »
    Bringing up Cornstore again but feel i have to, I have been there numerous times in the past and it was excellent. Was there at weekend with 2 kids and 5 adults. Overall, i think prices are similar but portion sizes down and not as tasty. I got duck breast and there were 4 small slices, hardly any veg that was supposed to be on plate, and was advertised to be roast potatoes and they were bland, and soggy... the seemed like the vacuum pack pre-packaged potatoes. General consensus was not that great on taste. Front of house service very inattentive, no one checked on us at any stage. Kids food came out and then long gap for adults. one adult had starter and once that was cleared it took about 30 mins for mains and we had already waited about 30 mins for that one starter . one order was wrong supposed to be chips instead of mash, error was pointed out and chips given.. charged for chips.
    OVerall very disappointed as I had really loved dining there. sad to say wont be going back , Maybe its a more recent thing - all the recent reviews on facebook are poor too.

never had a good experience in Cornstore either - been 3 times.. won't again - some love it - diff strokes for diff folks and all that..
    Ciara11 wrote: »
    As for DeCaf.. once i was charged 3e for an americano never gone back. ridiculous

i was talking about Cafe Depeche in my post.. ; not sure if you were referring to that by your DeCaf post?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement