Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciara11

sporina wrote: »
    never had a good experience in Cornstore either - been 3 times.. won't again - some love it - diff strokes for diff folks and all that..

i was talking about Cafe Depeche in my post.. ; not sure if you were referring to that by your DeCaf post?

Oh sorry i misread i was referring to DeCaf in the centre where TK Maxx is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ciara11 wrote: »
    As for DeCaf.. once i was charged 3e for an americano never gone back. ridiculous

That'll be the Benny Tax.

Someone has to pay for The Bodega!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭sporina

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Anybody know when Boojum is opening?

Thursday. Free burrito and T Shirt for the first 300 through the door.

What about Bunsen? Any update there?? Or is it even still happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Guys whats the name of the new Asian place that opened where wild west wings was ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Guys whats the name of the new Asian place that opened where wild west wings was ?.

Is it like Makuna I think?

Very nice by the way, had a great pad thai in there last week.

Oh My Donut, the new one on Washington street, I did not look. Donuts are actually sickly sweet. Huckleberrys is good but the American style still hasn't been nailed down. I could eat 3 or 4 dunkins but I could barely eat one of the donuts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Is Benny behind De Caf?

kcb wrote: »
    Is Benny behind De Caf?

Yap :).

They have a De Caf in the the poor relation as well ;).

Yap :).

They have a De Caf in the the poor relation as well ;).

That's that on the list of places to avoid so!

For coffee I think it's hard to beat Warren Allen at the moment. It's good to have a decent coffee shop on Maylor St.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was back home for the weekend

Makan Asian Street Food on Washington St - really liked this place. Good food, well priced. The double cooked Korean spicy chicken wings are tasty. Definite Gochujang flavour.

Jacques on Oliver Plunkett St - one of my favourite lunch stops in the city. Fantastic grilled toastie with Jack McCarthy's black pudding and Coolea cheese, plus tart of the day. Homemade spiced carrot cake also excellent. The staff there were so nice to an elder couple who came in and just wanted ham & cheese toasties.

Greenes on McCurtain St - Had a family celebration dinner there. Really enjoyed the food but the lighting and decor could do with a bit of work to match the standard of the food. And the wine list was disappointing for the same reason. But top marks again to the food - spiced beef with Coolea cheese fondue to start, pan-fried John Dory with sea greens and lardons followed by woodruff pannacotta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

dudara wrote: »
    Was back home for the weekend

Makan Asian Street Food on Washington St - really liked this place. Good food, well priced. The double cooked Korean spicy chicken wings are tasty. Definite Gochujang flavour.

Jacques on Oliver Plunkett St - one of my favourite lunch stops in the city. Fantastic grilled toastie with Jack McCarthy's black pudding and Coolea cheese, plus tart of the day. Homemade spiced carrot cake also excellent. The staff there were so nice to an elder couple who came in and just wanted ham & cheese toasties.

Greenes on McCurtain St - Had a family celebration dinner there. Really enjoyed the food but the lighting and decor could do with a bit of work to match the standard of the food. And the wine list was disappointing for the same reason. But top marks again to the food - spiced beef with Coolea cheese fondue to start, pan-fried John Dory with sea greens and lardons followed by woodruff pannacotta.

Sounds like you had a great weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

dudara wrote: »
    And the wine list was disappointing

The story of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Ciara11 wrote: »
    Bringing up Cornstore again but feel i have to, I have been there numerous times in the past and it was excellent. Was there at weekend with 2 kids and 5 adults. Overall, i think prices are similar but portion sizes down and not as tasty. I got duck breast and there were 4 small slices, hardly any veg that was supposed to be on plate, and was advertised to be roast potatoes and they were bland, and soggy... the seemed like the vacuum pack pre-packaged potatoes. General consensus was not that great on taste. Front of house service very inattentive, no one checked on us at any stage. Kids food came out and then long gap for adults. one adult had starter and once that was cleared it took about 30 mins for mains and we had already waited about 30 mins for that one starter . one order was wrong supposed to be chips instead of mash, error was pointed out and chips given.. charged for chips.
    OVerall very disappointed as I had really loved dining there. sad to say wont be going back , Maybe its a more recent thing - all the recent reviews on facebook are poor too.

I've only been to the Cornstore twice, once in Cork about 4 years ago, and once in Limerick 2 months ago. Both occasions, while the food was tasty, it was overpriced for the meagre portions served.

Someone mentioned Brick Lane here a while back. I rang to book but you can't book for two. Do you think we'd get a place at about 7pm on Saturday? It's for a birthday so I don't want to end up walking around looking for something.

happyday wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Brick Lane here a while back. I rang to book but you can't book for two. Do you think we'd get a place at about 7pm on Saturday? It's for a birthday so I don't want to end up walking around looking for something.

what are you looking for? cuisine type? atmosphere? price? etc..

sporina wrote: »
    what are you looking for? cuisine type? atmosphere? price? etc..

A nice meal for two. Relaxed atmosphere. Good choice of food and good service. I'd be very happy to get all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

happyday wrote: »
    A nice meal for two. Relaxed atmosphere. Good choice of food and good service. I'd be very happy to get all that.

Gallaghers is a cosy spot for food in town. Relaxed, it's a gastropub type place. Burgers, chicken, steak. Link here. http://www.gallagherspubcork.com/

For a bit more fancy, Club Brasserie is nice for two I think. It's atmospheric, like a 'club' I guess. Dark walls, not a lot of light. Crowd is older than gallaghers, 30's and up I'd say.
    http://www.theclubbrasserie.com/?portfolio=evening-menu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

Boojum opened today I believe - any reports ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

whatever76 wrote: »
    Boojum opened today I believe - any reports ?!

Yup, I went and had soft tacos, beef and pork. Preferred the pork, overall I'd say it was good but I don't get the people raving. It was 3 soft tacos for €8 like, and they were fine.

I'll probably go again if I'm nearby and wanting a quick meal.

nerwen wrote: »
    Yup, I went and had soft tacos, beef and pork. Preferred the pork, overall I'd say it was good but I don't get the people raving. It was 3 soft tacos for €8 like, and they were fine.

I am going to Try it myself next week when I hope the hype dies down.

As i am quite a fan of burritos and blues who's Chicken burrito and bottle of water is only 6 euros and is always fantastic so Boojam needs to be good for me to come back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

nerwen wrote: »

It's the best takeaway burrito you'll get.

But it is still a takeaway burrito... I enjoy it, but I won't be losing my mind over it.

But, it is a nice option for a lunch every now and then - beats a chicken roll!!
    I am going to Try it myself next week when I hope the hype dies down.

As i am quite a fan of burritos and blues who's Chicken burrito and bottle of water is only 6 euros and is always fantastic so Boojam needs to be good for me to come back

Have to say I don't get the burritos & blues love at all. Place has a constant queue out the door (though, tbf, the queue starts AT the door so...) but the staff are inept and ignorant and the food is cold more often than not in my experiences. I gave it a few goes after recommendations from friends and I won't eat there anymore.

Have to say I don't get the burritos & blues love at all. Place has a constant queue out the door (though, tbf, the queue starts AT the door so...) but the staff are inept and ignorant and the food is cold more often than not in my experiences. I gave it a few goes after recommendations from friends and I won't eat there anymore.

I dont find any issues with the staff in there. As someone who used to work in the industry its very hard to be fake nice and try and make a burrito and make sure the queue outside the door gos down. I just wont my burrito and i am happy.

My girlfriend is a extremely fussy eater and she loves going here for lunch as she loves a steak burrito with cheese sauce.

But still the best Lunch i think in the City is in Sago. There 7 euros currys are to die for and so so tasty and have meat in them.

I also love sober lane for a take away on dliveroo there burgers are so nice and there home made wedges as well :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Went in to Boojum yesterday. Had it a few times in Dublin and thought it was savage but yesterday it was only ok. La Calavera in Douglas is much tastier in my opinion.

Anyone recommendations for places with really good wine lists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

limnam wrote: »
    Anyone recommendations for places with really good wine lists?

First world problem, but it's not a big wine scene in Cork I find! Zamora was really good, but it closed.

L'attitude 51 is a wine bar, and has great stock, and they are great for recommendations. Will give you a taste as well if you ask before you buy. Food is tapas, so might not be what you are after?

Old school places like Flemings are a decent bet.

And there are some in Kinsale, try Bastion.

pwurple wrote: »
    First world problem,

:o
    but it's not a big wine scene in Cork I find! Zamora was really good, but it closed.

Yep it's closure is still a mystery to me.
    L'attitude 51 is a wine bar, and has great stock, and they are great for recommendations. Will give you a taste as well if you ask before you buy. Food is tapas, so might not be what you are after?

I really enjoy Lat, I just always find it difficult to get a space. Even mid-week it's always jammed.

Old school places like Flemings are a decent bet.

And there are some in Kinsale, try Bastion.

Not been to either but I think I've seen you mention Bastion a few times so it's on my list.

Looking into Flemings.

Is Annies still closed?

I'd imagine Italee, Dolce Vita or one of the Spanish tapa places would have good wine.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Finally a Boojum comes to Cork!:D Is it all it's cracked up to be? Where is it exactly?

Will this event be marked by a day off work for Corkonians and a fiesta?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

kcb wrote: »
    Is Annies still closed?

I'd imagine Italee, Dolce Vita or one of the Spanish tapa places would have good wine.

Annie's is open. I was there before Christmas for lunch.

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    Annie's is open. I was there before Christmas for lunch.

annies is dodgy as hell now - avoid.. bad experience recently..

Yeah Zamora - what a loss - really miss it - no idea what happened - it was busy.. but ya never know..

I love the wine selection in ORSO,,..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement