Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Speaking of openings.

Has anyone heard anything about five guys coming to Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Went to Greene's last Saturday with a few friends, first time there but wow, loved it. Everything about it was excellent, food, brilliant service and very reasonably priced I felt (went for a set menu which was very extensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

12 Tables in Douglas is a nice spot for lunch. They have a limited enough menu but it's done well and tasty. They don't have a wine license but I understand that may be on the way.

The only thing is it's quite noisy! It's a concrete floor and tends to make sounds reverberate a lot. Oh and their waiting staff, while lovely, seem a little inexperienced and not that professional. For example, it's a small thing, but we were interrupted 4 times last week over lunch to ask if everything was ok. A little intrusive in a 50 minute lunch break ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ate in Orso Friday night, first time trying their evening menu, having only been in for lunch once before (quite some time ago also). Tried the chicken dish which came with Brocollini, kale, yogurt & corriander sauce plus some cauliflower bake on the side - was delicious.

Staff were lovely, music was brilliant, food was top notch, only had a sip of the red recommended by the gentleman manning the bar as I was driving but it was delicious. So it was a lovely experience overall, more comfortable seating would be my only gripe but I've a poor back & realistically, given the space available that's not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Any recommendations for breakfast /brunch? For a group of 5. Somewhere they won't mind us sitting and chatting for an hour or two.

• Advertisement

happyday wrote: »
    Any recommendations for breakfast /brunch? For a group of 5. Somewhere they won't mind us sitting and chatting for an hour or two.

Brick lane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Some brunch suggestions in this thread as well
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057692281/2/#post102291448

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Looking at getting a good early breakfast tommarow in the In the city center where would be the best place to go for one?. As my dad is down for the morning and loves a nice fry will I like pancakes ha

Is it hard to get into the lib grill early in the morning?.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Looking at getting a good early breakfast tommarow in the In the city center where would be the best place to go for one?. As my dad is down for the morning and loves a nice fry will I like pancakes ha

Is it hard to get into the lib grill early in the morning?.

Liberty Grill is usually fine to get into on a weekday morning, provided you're not too late. If you're there before 10.30 you should be fine. Your dad won't be able to get a fry in there though. Fenn's Quay would do both I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Best fry IMO is the farm gate in the market but I don't believe they do pancakes :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Heidi's cafe/bakery in Cobh, amazing breakfast and even better cakes.
    You definitely won't feel rushed and the staff are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ngunners

Tara's Tea Room on MacCurtain Street. Nice fry. Delicious pancakes.

I should have said we have two vegetarians in the group. Is Brick Lane and Heidi's good for them too?

ngunners wrote: »
    Tara's Tea Room on MacCurtain Street. Nice fry. Delicious pancakes.

Always forget about this and also a lovely pot of tea...in a tea pot...

I should have said we have two vegetarians in the group. Is Brick Lane and Heidi's good for them too?

Brick lane will be fine not sure about Heidi's

Sure they'll have eggs....:D

limnam wrote: »
    Brick lane will be fine not sure about Heidi's

Sure they'll have eggs....:D

They are very particular... and they deserve a nice breakfast too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

The veggie brunch in Brick Lane is fab! Menu is here. Also Decalf cafe do a great brunch with veggie options. The Sextant also have some nice veggie options. Menu here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Sorry for the late reply, I know the manager of Heidi's has experience of catering for vegetarians.
    Don't think there's a veggie breakfast option though but they are very accommodating.

Thanks everyone! Some very good options there. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Another donut shop opening on Washington Street, oh my donut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

had dinner in ORSO last weekend - divine from start to finish - the food/wine/service - consistently sublime :):):)

sporina wrote: »
    had dinner in ORSO last weekend - divine from start to finish - the food/wine/service - consistently sublime :):):)

You can't book there, can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Sadly not! But it is totally worth the wait.

I've walked straight in and gotten a table between 5pm and 6pm on Saturdays in the past, but have been told I'd have 90minute+ waits just after that time.

no but i was there at 7 - there were no tables free until 7.30 - they took my number - we went to the imperial for a drink and they rang at 7.30 as a table was ready; prompt! And we were not rushed even though there were people in looking for tables all night.. we were there till 10pm... I will be back soon.. soo many flavours .. too many to try on one night..

Sounds lovely. I'll have to give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

rob316 wrote: »
    Another donut shop opening on Washington Street, oh my donut

It's gas the way fads like this come and go. Must try one all the same.

It's gas the way fads like this come and go. Must try one all the same.

donuts schmonuts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »
    donuts schmonuts

I'm the same.
    Quite like a plain donut, would even stretch to a cream donut but having said that, I think I last had a donut in 2014!

I'll quite happily go to my furnace without ever having experienced a glazed/iced/flavoured donut.

However, I wish them well in their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I did try Huckleberry's donuts and they were really nice, not too overboard with the glaze, which is my preferred way. The cinnamon sugar one was awesome, but the custard creme was really more of a custard sauce and there was custard eeeeeverywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Also on Washington Street, it appears a Rotisserie is about to open, and the sign says Rotisserie Meats rather than just chicken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement