Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

kcb wrote: »
    Avoid Cornstore. Aswell as being a terrible restaurant, parking is tricky around that part of town.

With a toddler and a large group I'd head to Republic actually. It worked out well for our similar group recently.

Or else somewhere outside city centre with parking.

In your opinion. Have had some fine meals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

kcb wrote: »
    Avoid Cornstore. Aswell as being a terrible restaurant, parking is tricky around that part of town.

With a toddler and a large group I'd head to Republic actually. It worked out well for our similar group recently.

Or else somewhere outside city centre with parking.

I'd agree with this, well at least the part to avoid it but more to do with the little one. If you have a pram etc it can be very tight in there and parking is a bit of a pain but that can be the same for most places so I wouldn't worry about that too much if you're parking in one of the big lots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Another vote for avoiding Cornstore. Odd when places try to be thai, indian, irish, french, american and italian all at the same time. They get nothing right.

My place for kids is usually Italee cafe on oliver plunkett street. Real italian food, doesn't break the bank, nice little nutella biscuits for 70 cent afterwards and the children think they have had a massive treat. Only open at lunchtime, and not sundays.

Market lane is good too if you can get in, they have the colouring sheets and make a big deal of them.

Blackrock castle is the same crowd, same menu as market lane for chilren I think, same colouring thing. Very welcoming. Parking is there. This would be my top pick for a mixed group. Not crazy money, lovely setting.

I like wagamamas with children too, novelty thing with the noodles really, but probably not for older crowd.

Milano's... i've been in there once. It's the pizza express chain from the Uk. Absolutely mental for children. They run riot, racing around, very noisy etc. If your children are noisy etc, then that's the spot for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

limnam wrote: »
    I'd agree with this, well at least the part to avoid it but more to do with the little one. If you have a pram etc it can be very tight in there and parking is a bit of a pain but that can be the same for most places so I wouldn't worry about that too much if you're parking in one of the big lots.

Park at Grand Parade if looking for easy access as only a few minutes walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ah the usual Cornstore discussion is back. Never had a bad meal there myself I must say. But it ain't "cool" to like a large chain restaurant so it always gets a knocking here.

I tend not to go back to a place after I get a bad meal there. Have been to Cornstore a few times now and would still go back. I find it very similar to Market Lane which gets rave reviews always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ludo wrote: »
    Ah the usual Cornstore discussion is back. Never had a bad meal there myself I must say. But it ain't "cool" to like a large chain restaurant so it always gets a knocking here.

I tend not to go back to a place after I get a bad meal there. Have been to Cornstore a few times now and would still go back. I find it very similar to Market Lane which gets rave reviews always.

Ya I've been to the Cornstore twice, couldn't knock it to be honest. Maybe I was just lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Anderson is not punishing mvg enough when he starts slowy on his own throw.

pitty

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Not been a big fan of the Cornstore food (though only been twice!), but their cocktails are absolutely smashing, highly recommend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

nerwen wrote: »
    Not been a big fan of the Cornstore food (though only been twice!), but their cocktails are absolutely smashing, highly recommend! :D

The first few times I went to the Cornstore I was really impressed but the last two times, it was average.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    The first few times I went to the Cornstore I was really impressed but the last two times, it was average.

The food or the drinks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ludo wrote: »

I really hate this kinda bullsh1t.
    The idea that if people don't like somewhere that you do, then they're just sheep trying to act cool.

Same kinda bullsh1t comes up over Ramen. I dislike Ramen because of the really cheap ingredients, the lack of care with which the food is put together and the bland flavour. Oh, but I'm dead cool!

Give it a rest, have confidence in your own opinions and respect other people's.

BTW I haven't been to Cornstore in several years but the last meal I had there was good.

I really hate this kinda bullsh1t.
    The idea that if people don't like somewhere that you do, then they're just sheep trying to act cool.

Same kinda bullsh1t comes up over Ramen. I dislike Ramen because of the really cheap ingredients, the lack of care with which the food is put together and the bland flavour. Oh, but I'm dead cool!

Give it a rest, have confidence in your own opinions and respect other people's.

BTW I haven't been to Cornstore in several years but the last meal I had there was good.

It's not that though. I like the Pad Thai in Ramen, I though that Ramen Pad Thai was better than Chilli Padi, and I got a world of nonsense telling me how I am wrong. It's opinion, it works both ways.

It's not that though. I like the Pad Thai in Ramen, I though that Ramen Pad Thai was better than Chilli Padi, and I got a world of nonsense telling me how I am wrong. It's opinion, it works both ways.

There's a different between people disagreeing with your opinion as opposed to trying to insist that you are forming the opinion just to be fashionable/cool/hipster/etc.

While many might think you were wrong, I bet no one insinuated that your opinion was made up for populist reasons.

Ramen is flying anyway. Still love the Pad Thai.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ramen Kao Phad with extra chicken (because the extra euro is worth it - they're scanty with meat portions imo) is top notch, not much on the menu stands out to me however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ramen is very good, the 6b46 is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Ramen Kao Phad with extra chicken (because the extra euro is worth it - they're scanty with meat portions imo) is top notch, not much on the menu stands out to me however.

Never knew about this. The lack of meat in the dish is ridiculous.
    Ramen is very hit and miss tho. Got the rendang one day on the 6 before 6 deal and it was one of the nicest "curry" dishes I'd ever had. Went back another day and paid full whack and it was like they spilled a whole jar of salt into it. It was disgusting. I'd have returned it if I'd been eating there but it was takeaway and went in the bin.
    The pad Thai is really good. Got it a few times and its never disappointed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

this thread is really more of a "restaurant review" thread as oppose to "restaurant recommend" thread - mod's i think you should change - maybe have two - but at the moment - if someone was looking for a recommendation, I think it would be a challenge for them to navigate

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sporina wrote: »
    this thread is really more of a "restaurant review" thread as oppose to "restaurant recommend" thread - mod's i think you should change - maybe have two - but at the moment - if someone was looking for a recommendation, I think it would be a challenge for them to navigate

Lets not be pedantic and just call it Restaurant Discussion Thread or just leave it, who really cares.

rob316 wrote: »
    Lets not be pedantic and just call it Restaurant Discussion Thread or just leave it, who really cares.

well i think someone will are - ie if someone is looking for a restaurant recommendation and they come to this thread but find that they have to wade through all the arguments etc then its not so useful to them.. just my thoughts on it - it does not do what it says on the tin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

well i think someone will are - ie if someone is looking for a restaurant recommendation and they come to this thread but find that they have to wade through all the arguments etc then its not so useful to them.. just my thoughts on it - it does not do what it says on the tin

Usually people looking for recommendations ask on the thread and people respond.

bee06 wrote: »
    Usually people looking for recommendations ask on the thread and people respond.

yeah i get ya - but more often than not, the responses turn into a discussion thus leaving the person looking for the recommendation none the wiser...
    i am just saying that there might be scope for more than one thread here

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

Any chatter about Aroi? I was waiting months for them to reopen then saw their twitter saying they were not reopening :( Weird cause I passed there a few times and saw a lot of activity.

renov8 wrote: »
    Any chatter about Aroi? I was waiting months for them to reopen then saw their twitter saying they were not reopening :( Weird cause I passed there a few times and saw a lot of activity.

Work appears to have stopped

yeah i get ya - but more often than not, the responses turn into a discussion thus leaving the person looking for the recommendation none the wiser...
    i am just saying that there might be scope for more than one thread here

Mods? Perhaps a discussion thread for a sticky post for top recommendations coming out of this thread with categories such as:

Breakfast / Brunch
    Quick Bites
    Lunch
    Early Bird / Dinner
    High End Dinner

Or is that opening a can of worms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

got a takeaway from quinlan's seafood. was alright but very expensive for what i got. and they forgot the chips from my cod and chips!

7Yk0F7Gl.jpg
    AVibFKGl.jpg
    xwsvhUil.jpg

those prawns, 2 slices of bread and cup of salad was €13! crazy price, but still tasted good. cod and mushy peas were nice. should have went back about the chips but lazy. cod and 'chips' were €11. is that pricey? i think it is

still think holy smoke is the best place in Cork right now. that platter is delish, pulled pork was nicer than burnt ends this time. and bonemarrow mash as good as ever.
    zZRBpFfl.jpg
    flat iron steak was great as well. as good as elbow lane. bit pricey for the size of it, €13, but you gotta pay for quality and this was.
    SCncAEEl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do you find the stuff gets cold very fast on those metal trays in holy smoke. Maybe I don't eat fast enough! :)

I never got a takeaway from quinlans, so I have to ask what is on those prawns? They are swimming in it.

No need for spliting thread into recommendation categories surely... other ratings websites do that. This place has the personal touch. sure places change like lightening at the moment. I would have been recommending Zamora up til it closed, and augustines, and aroi. Gone gone gone.

And there are loads of new places planned in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

pwurple wrote: »
    Do you find the stuff gets cold very fast on those metal trays in holy smoke. Maybe I don't eat fast enough! :)

i eat faster than anyone i know so never noticed
    I never got a takeaway from quinlans, so I have to ask what is on those prawns? They are swimming in it.

that's the garlic butter i presume. tasty enough, especially soaking up with the bread. but not worth €13 unless prawn prices have skyrocketed

No need for spliting thread into recommendation categories surely... other ratings websites do that. This place has the personal touch. sure places change like lightening at the moment. I would have been recommending Zamora up til it closed, and augustines, and aroi. Gone gone gone.

I'm talking about for the sticky i.e. first post - make it easier for newbies to consult, just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anybody know when Boojum is opening?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement