Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's a lovely little South Indian vegetarian café and take away just opened up in Cork. It's called Iyer's and is on Pope's Quay, just by the foot bridge. Had lunch there yesterday and was completely charmed by the place. Lovely owner/cook (Iyer); fantastic, fresh, light food; really well priced; calm, comfortable ambience. What's not to like? The menu, like the café is very small and, I think, changes daily. I'd imagine the menu will expand a bit but I hope not too much.
    I really want this one to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is that vegetarian indian place open in the evenings, or just for lunch?

pwurple wrote: »
    Is that vegetarian indian place open in the evenings, or just for lunch?
    Open til 7 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

A nice Mexican place would defo go down a treat. Loverly food. I used to love going to Cactus Jacks in Dubai have to say for a chain they had great stuff, i ponder what the Dublin one is like.

Anywho back to it. We went to Amicus on Paul Street over the Christmas and was very impressed with the food. They have the tastiest Taglitelle i have ever tasted, would go back just for that. The staff were'nt the greatest on the first greeting but warmed up a little.

I was never too impressed with the Douglas branch but have to say the Paul street one is worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 riya99

Yes indeed Iyer's on Pope's Quay is wonderful. Fresh ingredients, simply and authentically cooked. Lunch yesterday was superb. And the man himself so helpful and informative. Nice place, nice guy, great food.:P

• Advertisement

riya99 wrote: »
    Yes indeed Iyer's on Pope's Quay is wonderful. Fresh ingredients, simply and authentically cooked. Lunch yesterday was superb. And the man himself so helpful and informative. Nice place, nice guy, great food.:P

Spread the word, I really want this cafe to still be there this time next year.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

There's a lovely little South Indian vegetarian café and take away just opened up in Cork. It's called Iyer's and is on Pope's Quay, just by the foot bridge. Had lunch there yesterday and was completely charmed by the place. Lovely owner/cook (Iyer); fantastic, fresh, light food; really well priced; calm, comfortable ambience. What's not to like? The menu, like the café is very small and, I think, changes daily. I'd imagine the menu will expand a bit but I hope not too much.

do they have a website? fb? can't find anything on line..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Milly33 wrote: »
    A nice Mexican place would defo go down a treat. Loverly food. I used to love going to Cactus Jacks in Dubai have to say for a chain they had great stuff, i ponder what the Dublin one is like.

Anywho back to it. We went to Amicus on Paul Street over the Christmas and was very impressed with the food. They have the tastiest Taglitelle i have ever tasted, would go back just for that. The staff were'nt the greatest on the first greeting but warmed up a little.

I was never too impressed with the Douglas branch but have to say the Paul street one is worth it
    I don't think so, I got food poisioning from there, I'm a chef myself and I am guessing it was the chicken they gave me. Never again.

Quick recommendation for Blackrock Castle. Was there for dinner last weekend and it was lovely. Atmosphere is nice in both the old room with the fire, and the new glass room overlooking the observatory. Staff are efficient, and the food was very good. Same style as Market Lane in town (same people run both). Menus are online, but they change often enough, what I had last week isn't listed there.
    http://www.castlecafe.ie/

Looks like they do brunch too...

sporina wrote: »

Not yet. Only just opened.

• Advertisement

Funny, Iyer, himself, posted here stating that they just had started a fb page but it was a bit skeletal as yet. He also thanked me for my write up and wanted to offer me a coffee in return if I would identify myself.

Funny that his posts seem to be gone.
    Was he banned?
    If so, I don't see why. He wasn't shilling, just answering a query from this thread. Or he wasn't starting threads stating how great his restaurant is.
    Business owners post here openly all the time.
    Anyone know what the story is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Funny, Iyer, himself, posted here stating that they just had started a fb page but it was a bit skeletal as yet. He also thanked me for my write up and wanted to offer me a coffee in return if I would identify myself.

Was he banned?
    yup.
    you can see it in the banlist

Was he banned?
    If so, I don't see why. He wasn't shilling, just answering a query from this thread. Or he wasn't starting threads stating how great his restaurant is.
    Business owners post here openly all the time.
    Anyone know what the story is?

why was he banned? was he not allowed to reply to your post or?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

I was in there on Saturday. The decor is really lovely. The menu is small but adequate for a snack place. On Saturday the menu consisted of wadas, bondas, idilis, dosas and a few more items. His chutneys and sambar are excellent. I didn't try any of the coffess/teas or cakes but I was very tempted.
    I'm guessing most people wouldn't have a clue what half the menue is but Iyer is a very friendly guy and was happily explaining the menu.
    And if anyone could PM his FB link I'd really appreciate it.

why was he banned? was he not allowed to reply to your post or?
    It seems not.
    I've contacted the administrator who banned him but he hasn't replied and the Mod I contacted couldn't comments on a ban imposed by someone else.

Effing ridiculous that someone can't sign up to respond to a query about their business without being accused of spamming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I doubt you'll have much luck appealing it, beer. The poster's comments looked harmless to me, and I certainly would have allowed them, but the admins take a much harder line usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Wow!

A guy is brave enough to start a new business in the midst of a deep recession (depression?) and he gets banned for being customer-friendly!

Did he not get an opportunity to amend his post?

I appreciate that Boards is a big venture and hard to keep track of everything etc, but this seems way OTT.

I think a bit of reflection is called for here - it's not like the guy did any harm, and if his post was bannable, then I presume that many, many others are bannable too!

where is the restaurant anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 riya99

Pope's Quay - beside pedestrian bridge. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I popped in there today - it is lovely, and really nice food, too. Tiny place. I will be back often, I think.

• Advertisement

god i walked that way and looked for it - all i was see was a kind of african shop - and the bierhall, uncle petes etc but didn't see Iyers?

god i walked that way and looked for it - all i was see was a kind of african shop - and the bierhall, uncle petes etc but didn't see Iyers?
    Open your eyes. :eek:
    It is about three or four doors from the kind of African shop. To the right of the bridge - towards the church. Clearly visible from the bridge.

madrabui wrote: »
    I was in there on Saturday. The decor is really lovely. The menu is small but adequate for a snack place. On Saturday the menu consisted of wadas, bondas, idilis, dosas and a few more items. His chutneys and sambar are excellent. I didn't try any of the coffess/teas or cakes but I was very tempted.
    I'm guessing most people wouldn't have a clue what half the menue is but Iyer is a very friendly guy and was happily explaining the menu.
    And if anyone could PM his FB link I'd really appreciate it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iyers/131679390322337

Not much up on it yet, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Buzz84

Just looking if anyone could recommend a good restaurant for a group of hens 30 years plus.

Looking for somewhere that has a good atmosphere, serves cocktails, and is decent value.

Probably would prefer a steakhouse\European type menu that would suit everyone's taste.

I would think Soho would suit ye. The have the best steak I have tasted in a long time and they serve cocktails. I am sure if you say it is a hen also they will be ultra nice. The bar downstairs is a bit plebish/poser's but the restaurant is loverly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Or the Cornstore on Cornmarket Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Buzz84

What about Amicus?

Amicus is nice also but do they do cocktails n that.Not a fan of the cornstore now myself think tis a bit over-rated

Open your eyes. :eek:
    It is about three or four doors from the kind of African shop. To the right of the bridge - towards the church. Clearly visible from the bridge.

sorry i didn't go further than the bridge..

• Advertisement

Oh jeez not the cornstore, very hit and miss there. For the hen... Maybe la boqueria on bridge street, or market lane, or the electric. Food and drinks are consistently good in those. Is it a big group? I wasn't sure if it was a group of 30 people, or if you are in your 30's?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement