Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

Amicus in Paul Street, Market Lane as mentioned and Clancys all do very decent food at reasonable prices. Free starter with a steak main in Clancys but don't go on a Sunday after 6 as there's live music that's shocking, the almost new born wouldn't be imressed with the racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

So I have an elderly aunt and uncle coming to Cork for a night and they wanna go to dinner. They are your typical meat and 2 veg type eaters; fish/chicken in particular.
    Can someone recommend a nice restaurant in the city where I could take them? Oh and nothing too expensive or formal or loud i guess.
    God its a tough one..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

sporina wrote: »
    So I have an elderly aunt and uncle coming to Cork for a night and they wanna go to dinner. They are your typical meat and 2 veg type eaters; fish/chicken in particular.
    Can someone recommend a nice restaurant in the city where I could take them? Oh and nothing too expensive or formal or loud i guess.
    God its a tough one..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056780235

thanks this thread is actually near enough my criteria.

So, I had considered all the places mentioned in that thread:

Currans - would be dubious about it - TA average recommendation of 54%?
    Amicus - very mediocre - too hit and miss..
    Strasbourg goose/Martket lane - too quick with the bill.. we wanna take our time..
    Clancy's - this is where I thought of originally but you can only eat in the bar - too noisy..

I think I will give Curran's a blast..

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Could try The Cornstore. Always thought that was good. Club Brasserie up by the Clarion is also good and suits most tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Blairs Inn is quite nice, the food is pretty traditional and it's not too far outside the city.

neddynasty wrote: »
    Could try The Cornstore. Always thought that was good. Club Brasserie up by the Clarion is also good and suits most tastes.

i wanna try club brassie myself.. not sure it would be up their street.

not mad on the corn store

I think Curran's will suffice..

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Club Brasserie is lovely, been there loads of times but don't think it's what you're loooking for on this occasion. Flying Enterprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

Or Eco in Douglas is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Market Lane, oliver plunkett street. that's where you should be going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

angeline wrote: »
    Club Brasserie is lovely, been there loads of times but don't think it's what you're loooking for on this occasion. Flying Enterprise?

I'd second the flying enterprise - I've eaten there a few times - upstairs i mean - and it's lovely. It has the typical meat and 2 veg like you mention but it's done well - or at least it was when I was there anyway! It's cosy too and they don't rush you

leahyl wrote: »
    I'd second the flying enterprise - I've eaten there a few times - upstairs i mean - and it's lovely. It has the typical meat and 2 veg like you mention but it's done well - or at least it was when I was there anyway! It's cosy too and they don't rush you

Yeah,,fab spot..

Pints are fierce expensive there though...

€4.70 for a Heineken..:eek:

Not that the OP wants beers..

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

€4.70 for a Heineken..eek.png
    Jesus, do they think they situated in Temple Bar in Dublin or something. Whats business like in the bar there with prices like that?

rebelden wrote: »
    Jesus, do they think they situated in Temple Bar in Dublin or something. Whats business like in the bar there with prices like that?

Like any other bar..It has busy days,and fairly quiet days.

I used to like going in there,,but I don't go in that often now.

Thomond Bar is €4.60......Another bar I used to like going into.

I can head to My local though and get Heineken for €4.00.

And that's exactly what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Sh1t. And no wonder.
    I wouldn't darken their doorstep. I also wouldn't go near Currans Restaurant.
    I had to walk out one evening when they couldn't prepare a meal without onions. Fact.

I hope for everyone's sake they have changed the (at the time) cook.

It was a few years ago though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I know its not the city but the Barn in Glanmire might fit the bill. I always found it old fashioned - which I love. Reminds me of going out for dinner with the family in the 80's - with desert cart and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

murphym7 wrote: »
    I know its not the city but the Barn in Glanmire might fit the bill. I always found it old fashioned - which I love. Reminds me of going out for dinner with the family in the 80's - with desert cart and all!

The Barn is lovely as well actually and should fit the bill in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I also recommend The Barn for this. Can't go wrong!

yeah the Barn would be lovely alright.. thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I have a question rather than start a new thread - Can we have another sticky one for restaurants. thats not my question this is...

has the Strausbourg goose changed a lot of their staff recently. I love the place but recently went in there (saturday last) and thought the service well it was cold.. The food was lovely except for the cheap breadrolls they are serving but they barely gave us a chance to look at the menu... Just pondering why it wasnt like this before. and another

has the Plaza changed hands too..Used to love the service in there and again went in and twas fairly shocking.

• Advertisement

you would have to question anywhere that can do a 3 course meal for €20.

where is the plaza?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

We have been there a few times before and service and food was fantastic it is just this time round. And the food I have to say if fab it is just the service, I would still go in there I was just wondering if there had been changes made.

The Plaza is in Ballincollig just by the cinema, nice cheap and cheerfull place but the Staff again were really nice and friendly but alas no-more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

F
    MrFrisp wrote: »

Like any other bar..It has busy days,and fairly quiet days.

I used to like going in there,,but I don't go in that often now.

Thomond Bar is €4.60......Another bar I used to like going into.

I can head to My local though and get Heineken for €4.00.

And that's exactly what I do.

How come I'm being charged 5 euro everywhere for pints/ bottles of cider? And I mean everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

I dont know Eternal, maybe wait for the change. Only joking, but is their establishments in the city centre charging 5 euro's a pint apart form nite clubs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I dont know Eternal, maybe wait for the change. Only joking, but is their establishments in the city centre charging 5 euro's a pint apart form nite clubs?
    Every pub I go into has charged me five euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

5e for a pint? jaysus are the prices after shooting up massively, these are celtic tiger prices.

Last time I was in cork I only paid 3.90 for a pint but that was at the end of last year I think or at the start of this year. Though it would be beamish / guinness i'd be drinking

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Pint bottles of cider are always more expensive , didnt they add a tax to them years ago to stop young lads buying flagons ?

Back on topic though - The Boardwalk maybe ? they do a reasonable lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Jacobs on the Mall have a pretty decent set menu for 35euro, cant go wrong with the place to be honest, I know its expensive off the set menu but even then i feel its worth it as there is loads of space really good food and nice staff/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

fionny wrote: »
    Jacobs on the Mall have a pretty decent set menu for 35euro, cant go wrong with the place to be honest, I know its expensive off the set menu but even then i feel its worth it as there is loads of space really good food and nice staff/

No wonder there's loads of space €35.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Sorry but 35e for a really good 3 course meal in a really nice highly rated place is worth it in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement