Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭sporina

54kroc wrote: »
    Is there a restaurant called Kitners near Paul St. ?

yes its on Carey's lane or french church street - i always get them mixed up. I was there a few months ago. I do not think that they are long open and it would seem they opened in a rush. Nice building but they had a lot of work to do at that time and menu was small and they were short staffed. The food was ok but I would not be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kethner's.
    Reopened in a new location last year after a 10 year or so break.
    Used to be good value for burgers, BLTs and the like.
    I've not tried the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've tried Kethners and it's really poor quality. Boring dishes and the food tastes pretty bad.

On the plus side, I tried the dim sum in Yuan Ming Yuan and it was excellent! Decent prices and 3 or 4 dishes would more than fill you. Obviously authentic too, as there a couple of tables of Chinese people there. And the menu was in Chinese and English!

Malari wrote: »
    I've tried Kethners and it's really poor quality. Boring dishes and the food tastes pretty bad.

On the plus side, I tried the dim sum in Yuan Ming Yuan and it was excellent! Decent prices and 3 or 4 dishes would more than fill you. Obviously authentic too, as there a couple of tables of Chinese people there. And the menu was in Chinese and English!
    +1
    Only decent Chinese in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

+1
    Only decent Chinese in Cork.

Is the Ambassador any good? I've actually never heard of the above restaurant but was just on their website and the menu looks good :)

I'm not really an expert on chinese food - don't ever go to chinese restaurants when I eat out but would like to try somewhere cos had chicken chow mein when on holidays a few years ago and it was divine!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Is the Ambassador any good? I've actually never heard of the above restaurant but was just on their website and the menu looks good :)

I'm not really an expert on chinese food - don't ever go to chinese restaurants when I eat out but would like to try somewhere cos had chicken chow mein when on holidays a few years ago and it was divine!

While I haven't been to The Ambassador in years,my memory of it is that it did good quality European Chinese at a pretty high price.
    For your standard chow mein and sweet and sour it is probably the best albeit most expensive Chinese restaurant in Cork.

If you want something a little more authentic, Yuan Ming Yuan is the only option I know of in Cork. (they will also do chicken curry with chips, if that's your thing but I would urge anyone going to try something that's not on every other Chinese menu).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

For me the best Chinese in Cork (out of the ones I have tried) it has to be Panda Mama (opposite oliver plunkett st at the bus station end), I would rate it as the 2nd nicest chinese I have been to (the nicest being in New York).

I can't say I have tried the Ambassador but I have heard bad reviews from it. Never been to Yuan Ming Yuan but I'll definitely try it out, I have walked past it and it has a nice 'feel' to it :)

*drool*

kingtut wrote: »
    Let me know when you are taking me :pac:

Myself and my friend are going for an Indian this weekend and I automatically assumed that it would be Bombay Palace but then she proceeded to tell me that she didn't like it the last time we went there - she thought it was very greasy :confused::eek: - so we're gonna try the Indian Palace - never been there before so we'll see...

Myself and my friend are going for an Indian this weekend and I automatically assumed that it would be Bombay Palace but then she proceeded to tell me that she didn't like it the last time we went there - she thought it was very greasy :confused::eek: - so we're gonna try the Indian Palace - never been there before so we'll see...

:eek::eek::eek: I can't say I ever found Bombay Palace greasy, in fact I find most other places are (and you see visible oil around the edge of the curry - major turn off).

Oh well, sure you can take me to bombay palace sometime :D

I have never tried the Indian Palace but I look forward to finding out what you think of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've been there a few times, really like it. Nice staff, nice food. One of my favourite restaurants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Paid a visit to Greenes last night.. Have to say it was lovely a tad overrated alright for the prices they charge but nice non the less. We had on of the living social deals had the beef encroute which was tasty shizzaazz...

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I've been there a few times, really like it. Nice staff, nice food. One of my favourite restaurants.

Really? I wonder have they improved since the time I was there. Once burned I don't tend to go back. Do you mind me asking what sort of food you get when you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Went to Luigis tonight. For what it is it does it really well. Lively, great drinks menu and very good wings and ribs. It's not fine dining but I really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Went to Rico's Pizzeria & Trattoria in the Mardyke Complex again over the weekend...

Absolutely top notch. Their pizza is on par with Novecento (which I believe is/was the best in Cork), tasty pasta and all for very reasonable prices. Nice relaxed atmosphere with good music!

What I like is that the portions are real Italian portions - just enough but not too much. Places like Rossini I think try to justify their high prices by giving you a mountain of pasta!

Great to have Rico's now along with La Dolce Vita, and Novecento (for takeaway), giving good options for Italian grub!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jonjoshelvey

What's Luigi's like?

What's Luigi's like?

As nonoperational said, it's not high-end stuff, but it's a good, fun, family-friendly restaurant. When I go I'd order the pizza, burger or fajita and they seem good value. If you are expecting top-notch paella you might be disappointed, for example ;)

The portions are huge as well, so often a starter will do me as a main course!

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Kind of on topic, what is the best restaraunt for a first date in Cork? I'd be willing to drive a bit outside it if needs be...Thanks Guys

mmm if you were going kinda cheap and cheerfull Scozzis perhaps. The prices arent too bad, they have a good selection and there is a bit of atmosphere in there. Amicus would be good aswell

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Milly33 wrote: »
    mmm if you were going kinda cheap and cheerfull Scozzis perhaps. The prices arent too bad, they have a good selection and there is a bit of atmosphere in there. Amicus would be good aswell

I'd say the date is long over, seeing as the post was made 2 years ago.

Luigi's is grand, but over-priced for what it is, IMO. If you get the early bird or something similar, it's a lot better value (naturally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I took a turn against Luigis a few years ago for some reason. But went there at Christmas time with work and really enjoyed it. Food and booze was very good. Maybe its because work picked up the tab I enjoyed it so much.

gimmick wrote: »
    I took a turn against Luigis a few years ago for some reason. But went there at Christmas time with work and really enjoyed it. Food and booze was very good. Maybe its because work picked up the tab I enjoyed it so much.

In my experience free food (and booze) usually tastes nicer :pac:

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    I'd say the date is long over, seeing as the post was made 2 years ago.

Luigi's is grand, but over-priced for what it is, IMO. If you get the early bird or something similar, it's a lot better value (naturally).

Haha how did I manage that one then!! Sure maybe they would like to go on another..Sorry my bad, i hit myself for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not a restaurant per se, but that Ginzeng asian take away in Mahon Point is brilliant. Shared a 10 share box last night and it could have fed 4 easy. Quite reasonable as well. Love if they did a delivery service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

gimmick wrote: »
    Not a restaurant per se, but that Ginzeng asian take away in Mahon Point is brilliant. Shared a 10 share box last night and it could have fed 4 easy. Quite reasonable as well. Love if they did a delivery service.
    It's a very simple place to grab a bite and better than a McDonalds but the food is what it is - quick chinese bite.

The Italian restaurant in Mahon is quite good for a simple meal too it's worth noting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

What's Luigi's like?

Complete crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

kcb wrote: »
    Complete crap.

Nope. Not at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

Faith wrote: »
    There's been a crazy number of threads recently looking for restaurant recommendations, so I'd like to start a specific thread for it. Please post below about your favourite restaurants - why you like them, what price range they are, what type of food they serve, if they have an early bird, opening hours if you know them, where they're located. If you could include a link to the website, that would be great. The more details, the better. This is not a thread to post negative reviews - there's a thread in the main Food & Drink forum for that if you like. Basically, I want this thread to be full of recommendations, not positive and negative reviews. That being said, you can disagree with a recommendation briefly if you really feel the need to, but you must have a really valid reason such as an awful experience, rather than "I don't really like the food" or "It's too expensive".

There's a wonderful little restaurant in Ballinasloe, they do amazing burgers, fries and have also begun to make pizzas. The food is tasty and tempting. I believe this fine establishment is called SuperMac's.

I was at Luigis for the first time myself at the weekend and while the ambiance and surroundings was nice the food was really average. The best part of the meal for me was the dessert.

Having said that, all my friends seemed happy with what they got so perhaps it was just what I ordered.

I also think it's a little bit pricy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭sporina

I was at Luigis for the first time myself at the weekend and while the ambiance and surroundings was nice the food was really average. The best part of the meal for me was the dessert.

Having said that, all my friends seemed happy with what they got so perhaps it was just what I ordered.

I also think it's a little bit pricy.

I think that i am officially sick of restaurant review threads. It would appear that everyone's standards are so different.
    I have been to Luigi's twice and it is low low quality! Low.

sporina wrote: »

That is based on your experience though, everyone is different it just seems that in this case most people who have been were satisfied.

I personally have not been but I might go at some stage, so far I am undecided :)

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    I think that i am officially sick of restaurant review threads. It would appear that everyone's standards are so different.

I know, I just said it was average :confused: it was just bland, boring especially the main course - I longed for Il Padrino/Liberty Grill/Electric while I was there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement