Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oo those are good, yoink!

another one I find good is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3S4dBk4E1g

and of course chem bros, muse...

and i know, i know...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zea96HQ5Xw&feature=related
    but it's good as well

edit: sash are good in general for it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL_1nJ9y1Iw&feature=related

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

W5D2 done - managed to run for 8 minutes straight twice and did a pretty decent sprint for the last four minutes of the last jog, even doing a bit of a fist pump and "Rocky" cheer when I thought nobody was looking.

God, I hope nobody was looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

** i saw you** :P

Ramette wrote: »
    ** i saw you** :P

It was epic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

bluewolf wrote: »
    a/r/t forum has a leixlip 5k in may, sounds good?
    I've heard great things about that but as I'm in galway it's a bit out of the way for me. Considering doing the 5k Ray D'Arcy and Todayfm are organising, there's one in Galway.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I've heard great things about that but as I'm in galway it's a bit out of the way for me. Considering doing the 5k Ray D'Arcy and Todayfm are organising, there's one in Galway.

When is that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

When is that on?
    6th of April. Link here although information is sparse at the moment. They haven't mapped a route yet. But hey, it's only a fiver to enter and you get a free tshirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

W3D3: 18mins - 1.20miles
    W4D1: 22mins - 1.65miles

So I just completed day 1 of week 4. Did not think I would manage it! My legs were sore today because I focused on legs in yesterdays circuit training.
    But I pushed through and forgot about it shortly.

My fav thing to do when running is to have a Britney Spears concert (don't judge, I love her! :D) on my ipod. Her songs are perfect to run to and I keep looking at her body and think I could have that if I just keep going.

Right now, I'm sitting on the couch after my shower. Life is good. :)

a/r/t forum has a leixlip 5k in may, sounds good?

link pwetty please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Was at the physio last night, injured myself running Barcelona (left ITB is acting up). Am currently not allowed to run until I see the physio again this day next week. Doesn't look like I'm going to be racing the MSB 5k as an all-out effort anyway.

/whine

Was at the physio last night, injured myself running Barcelona (left ITB is acting up). Am currently not allowed to run until I see the physio again this day next week. Doesn't look like I'm going to be racing the MSB 5k as an all-out effort anyway.

/whine

:eek: I hope we are going to obey the physio orders ????

Ramette wrote: »
    :eek: I hope we are going to obey the physio orders ????

We are, but we aren't going to be happy about it. Not running? Does not compute. :pac:

We are, but we aren't going to be happy about it. Not running? Does not compute. :pac:

Indeed "Rainbow Kirby" and "not running" do not belong in the same sentence!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Didn't say anything about not cycling though... ;)

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Didn't say anything about not cycling though... ;)

Oh you ;)

ITB injuries don't do too well with cycling either. There will be swimming done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Wow just found this thread and read the entire thing :)
    So great to hear the success that everyone is having. Gives me hope.

I started on Monday so I'm going out to do W1D3 in a while. Put on weight last year when I was doing the leaving cert so felt I needed to do something to get fitter. I don't think I've been required to run since about 5th year. College isn't helping with constant tea breaks and typical student food either :p.

Really enjoyed my previous two workouts even though I had to stop a few times during them but managed to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

W9 d2 done! Cant believe ive only 1 run left and I will have completed the programme never thought I would actually be able to run 30 mins without stopping! In feeling great right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

My favourite finishing song is black eyed peas - pump it. Something in it just really gets your feet moving. Well it does for me anyway. So no matter how tired I am, I always pick it up again for that one!

That's my running song too! I have it in my playlist about three times, it always pushes me on when I start lagging.

I'm finding week 7 really hard for some reason (probably all in my head). Stopped for a walk halfway through my run on w7d1, was furious with myself. Managed to finish today - and added 200m on to my distance - but jeez, it felt twice as hard as the 25min run at the end of week 6. I'm hoping the third run of the week goes better so that moving on to week 8 wont be so terrifying! Really looking forward to doing a 5k event in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I got my runners in the post today. I'm going to W3D3 again just to see what running with runners is really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

After Wednesday's crappy, windy run I REALLY didn't want to head out tonight. Had an awful day in work and the couch was calling to me.

SO glad I went out now!

Question: What do people do if you get stuck at a traffic light? I usually keep running on the spot but I'm sure I look like a total eejit :(

I just stop. It's never that long of a wait anyway.

Gauge wrote: »
    Question: What do people do if you get stuck at a traffic light? I usually keep running on the spot but I'm sure I look like a total eejit :(

I wonder that myself! I just stand there puffing and blowing!

First run with my new runners. Is it my imagination or are these runners make me run for longer without getting tired? My feet don't feel at all sore, just a little worked out and comfortable which I think is great.

I flew around although I did get very bet in the last minute of my last 3 minute run. I did 4.3k in just over 30 minutes according to google earth and my phone!

Yay! Now for dinner

First run with my new runners. Is it my imagination or are these runners make me run for longer without getting tired? My feet don't feel at all sore, just a little worked out and comfortable which I think is great.
    If you were in uncomfortable or unsuitable shoes before (which is the case for a lot of people starting Couch to 5k), then the right ones will make a big difference. It's a nice feeling :)

If you were in uncomfortable or unsuitable shoes before (which is the case for a lot of people starting Couch to 5k), then the right ones will make a big difference. It's a nice feeling :)

Its gorgeous. The air can get at my feet through the fabric and they don't feel sore anymore! :) I love my new shoes!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Hopefully going to start this up within the next week.

I want to have a fresh start, new week to get cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Did W1D3 yesterday morning in the rain and it was fantastic :D
    It was so refreshing and no other people around so I had the place to myself! I cannot believe I made it through the 1st week, so excited to start week 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

So not looking forward to today, been sick so haven't done anything since Monday so hopefully I won't be too bad and will complete it ! Will report back later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w1d3 done- delighted :)

Advertisement