Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

paulgalway wrote: »
    How do you keep track of the distance covered?
    I'm running on a treadmill right now because I don't have any hi-vis gear for outdoors. Also prefer it starting because I can have my ipod on and not worry about safety. As my times/distances increase I'll probably use nike+ because there are some fantastic places to run here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hell yeah - even a mid-afternoon tLL coffee would be nice after it!

Am currently targeting Thursday for my first post-Barcelona easy run. We'll see...

As long as I can go and change after :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Supposed to be heading out for W1D2 today but really don't want to. All my muscles are still aching from day one. I can hardly walk, let alone run. What to do...
    I'm going to agree with bluewolf. Just go out and run. Your muscles will loosen up and you won't be in pain, trust me. You'll feel better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

:( It looks windy and cold outside....I really don't want to go for a run.....:eek: this is the first bit of laziness I've shown since I started this! :rolleyes::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Just back from day 1 of Ease into 10k, Week 4- starting from this week because the runs add up to 32 minutes... (4 eight minute runs with 1 minute walks in between) and it seems like the most logical place to start after finishing couch to 5k.

Second half was grand, first half SUCKED. I had to stop briefly twice in the first run because I was running against the wind. Just a bit annoyed about it seeing as last week I was able to go for 30 minutes without stopping!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

:( It looks windy and cold outside....I really don't want to go for a run.....:eek: this is the first bit of laziness I've shown since I started this! :rolleyes::o

You never regret the runs you do, you *do* end up regretting the ones you don't do! Out you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

You never regret the runs you do, you *do* end up regretting the ones you don't do! Out you go!

That is a great quote rainbow kirby! I am definitley gonna go out for my run now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Except when you mangle your knee or pull a hamstring or something :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ok
    so I ran for 10 mins no stopping, yuh!
    Then I ran the way back with the wind gusting so hard it was trying to drive me backwards :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I worked out I ran 3.5km in 20 mins, including a min of walking. That's not too bad I reckon, it's like 2.2. miles.
    Feeling a bit better about next week now :)

edit: oh, I stopped doing the programme specifically as I'm trying to work on distance etc, but that woulda been w8d2...

:) I'm quite content in bed with the heating on listening to the rain outside. I'll be out tomorrow morning I swear! :)

• Advertisement

:) I'm quite content in bed with the heating on listening to the rain outside. I'll be out tomorrow morning I swear! :)

:eek:
    That's bold!

Actually I know it doesnt sound nice to go out into, but it's quite pleasant running in the wind and rain :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    Actually I know it doesnt sound nice to go out into, but it's quite pleasant running in the wind and rain :)
    Makes you feel dead tough when your run is done :D

I have to get wicky jogging leggings and stuff. After my last run my clothes felt so heavy. I wish my runners would get here soon. My shoes aren't doing me any favors. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

I found it hard doing W3D2 tonight, but I did it!

I love when you get home feeling tired and grumpy, telling your OH on the treadmill to get off it already........... and finishing the programme bopping your head along to really crappy music and having a big grin on your face feeling very proud of yourself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Forced myself out to do W4D2! Glad i went out now and I got some chocolate in the shop on the way back to reward myself :D

I have to get wicky jogging leggings and stuff. After my last run my clothes felt so heavy. I wish my runners would get here soon. My shoes aren't doing me any favors. :rolleyes:

A tip: Capri pants (the 3/4 length leggings) will do you for the vast majority of the year in this country. Wear with a running jacket and long-sleeve wicking shirt during the winter, and with a t-shirt or vest top in the summer.

Set off for a windy run after my boyfriend left for work this morning. I wasn't very impressed as it was a bitter wind and I found it so hard to walk/run against. I was just about to go home out of sheer frustration when I ran and the wind caught my back and sent me flying down the path (I stuck to running around a park today)....it felt amazing. When I was almost finished this cute little dog came up to play, so I stopped for a second to give him a rub and his owner came over to me and said "gosh, you're running very fast considering that you are running against the wind well done." I dropped my semi bad mood immediately, I thought I was like te tortoise from the tortoise and the hare I seemed so slow, but obviously not to other people! :)

When I was finishing up my final walks Feeling Good by Muse came on and straight after that I'm so Tired by The Beatles. It's funny how my random button sometimes works to my moods! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Got a lovely running top yesterday for an absolute steal, I love the feel of it. Kind of looks like this:
    Adidas%20SNova%20Womens%20P45066.jpg

My knees are feeling a lot better so will repeat week 3 on Monday to get back on top of things.

I knew I wasn't imagining the explosion in the numbers of runners around lately, was reading a local paper today and there are so many running events coming up they had to make a "triathalon and marathon" section to fit them all in. Must research a few and sign up for one to keep me motivated.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Got a lovely running top yesterday for an absolute steal, I love the feel of it. Kind of looks like this:
    Adidas%20SNova%20Womens%20P45066.jpg

My knees are feeling a lot better so will repeat week 3 on Monday to get back on top of things.

I knew I wasn't imagining the explosion in the numbers of runners around lately, was reading a local paper today and there are so many running events coming up they had to make a "triathalon and marathon" section to fit them all in. Must research a few and sign up for one to keep me motivated.

a/r/t forum has a leixlip 5k in may, sounds good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Week two will be completed this evening, be there wind, rain, whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'm really not a fan of running on stupid uneven grass. Especially with the slightly dodgy muddy patches. I want my concrete back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

W2D2 completed today despite feeling like my legs were going to go from under me & that I would end up flying off the threadmill sprawled on the floor of the gym! I know my runners aren't the best, but I can't afford to buy a proper pair at the moment :( would doing it on grass be a bit easier on the legs? Might try running around a pitch on Sunday to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

w1d2 done :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

W2D3 done, will hopefully start week 3 on Sat. I believe it involves 3 min runs. augen14cy4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

W2D3 done, will hopefully start week 3 on Sat. I believe it involves 3 min runs. augen14cy4.gif

Don't worry, you're a lot more able than you give yourself credit for. It's all mind over matter! I thought 90 seconds would be hard this week, and I'm managing it, as did you, so you're well able to go for week 3!

went out for a fun sprint this evening. no pressure on distance or how many stops or time or anything, just flat out running til i was wheezing too hard, walk, repeat
    about 1.5km in total
    and it felt GREAT
    I love sprinting and stretching out my legs like that :D:D

cant walk now though :eek::eek::eek:
    lying on the couch in pain lol

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

W2D2 done! Gritted my teeth and got through it. It gets better right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Good for you Bluewolf - that does sound like fun! It's good to take the pressure off from time to time!

So I am listening to Black Eyed Peas 'The End' at the moment while running, there's this one bit when one of the dudes says really slowly and seriously in this futuristic voice, before the beat comes in:

Welcome.
    Welcome to The END.
    Do not panic.
    There is nothing to fear.
    Everything around you is changed.
    Nothing stays the same.
    This version of myself is not permanent.
    Tomorrow I will give you The Energy Never Dies.
    Energy can not be destroyed or created.
    It always is.
    And It always will be.
    This is The END and the beginning.
    Forever.
    Infinite.

Welcome.

And it's SO cool! I feel invincible when I hear that - this version of myself is not permanent - it's a good motivator.

How about everyone else - what's your favourite album / artist to listen to while running?

Electric wrote: »
    W2D2 done! Gritted my teeth and got through it. It gets better right?
    Yes!
    See my post above - I'm addicted ;)

Kimia wrote: »
    Good for you Bluewolf - that does sound like fun! It's good to take the pressure off from time to time!

So I am listening to Black Eyed Peas 'The End' at the moment while running, there's this one bit when one of the dudes says really slowly and seriously in this futuristic voice, before the beat comes in:

How about everyone else - what's your favourite album / artist to listen to while running?

My favourite finishing song is black eyed peas - pump it. Something in it just really gets your feet moving. Well it does for me anyway. So no matter how tired I am, I always pick it up again for that one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaI2IlHwmgQ

• Advertisement

A few of mine:

There's a lyric in this that describes training for a big race so very well.
    One day I feel I'm on top of the world
    And the next it's falling in on me
    I can get back on
    I can get back home
    One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel,
    And the next it's rolling over me
    I can get back on
    I can get back home

For obvious reasons, this has been a bit motivational for the last few months :pac: The Barcelona marathon starts with this playing and a load of ticker tape everywhere, it is awesome.

And a few others that I just like:

Advertisement