Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

havent run since mon ... just had a crap week workwise and my goddamn chronic fatigue hit with a vengance... but i will run tomorrow... got a sports bra today... just incase anyone is looking, shock absorber do an underwire one now which is a lot nicer than the normal one and you dont feel like a trussed up turkey!! (i am a G cup), i also went to runways in parnell st, had got runners from elverys and they were not right.. so got a pair of mizunos... i have very small feet but they are broad... yer man in the shop is training for an ultra marathon... 100k :eek: ... guess RK will be doing that shortly :rolleyes:
    Got a lovely light rain jacket too in florescent pink:)...
    So am all set to get meself going again... yer man says the 5k on paddys weekend is good craic... (though he probably runs that in 2 seconds flat!!)
    congrats to all who are training... even though i did not running this week i am still reading all your posts and they are keeping me motivated to not give up... so thanks folks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

100k , he looked in good shape but i didnt realise he was insane :eek::eek:

yeah 100K just isnt right is it???!!! that's like.... two and a half marathons.. it cant be good for the human body.. think 5 & 10K will suit me fine! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I was going to possibly skip tonight and go tomorrow but now I might do both :pac:

100k and I can't even do 5 yet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

keep up the good work girls, have given up for the time being just 2 unfit, going to keep walking for the next few weeks and give c25k another go in a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

keep up the good work girls, have given up for the time being just 2 unfit, going to keep walking for the next few weeks and give c25k another go in a few weeks

If you're able for the first week or two of C25K, then just repeat those until you start finding them easy :)

If you think you're unfit, you should have seen me on w1d1 the first time I did it :pac: I did about 4 of the one min runs then hobbled home and collapsed for ages
    It does get easier I promise!
    if you can manage weeks 1 & 2 now as WN said, repeat them a couple times maybe
    the program really does get you going from 0

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Well I finished w4d1 today, god it was so hard because I have done no exercising at all since Monday because of sickness. Glad I finished it though, hopefully Monday won't be as hard.

If you're able for the first week or two of C25K, then just repeat those until you start finding them easy :)
    bluewolf wrote: »
    If you think you're unfit, you should have seen me on w1d1 the first time I did it :pac: I did about 4 of the one min runs then hobbled home and collapsed for ages
    It does get easier I promise!
    if you can manage weeks 1 & 2 now as WN said, repeat them a couple times maybe
    the program really does get you going from 0

eh i wish i was as optimisic as you girls but cant even jog for a minute at the mo:(

ok w8d3 done
    about 28 min to cover 4 km and i would say i had to walk about a km of that :rolleyes:
    gonna look like such a loser at the 5k next week! :rolleyes::(

i ran in daylight though!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Psycho-hope - BeginnerTriathlete made a Conservative Couch to 5k program - you could have a look at that and consider a similar sort of very slow buildup like that, particularly if you're coming from a very low fitness base. You could also try adding 1-2 one minute run intervals into a 30 minute walk and see how you get on from that. The important thing is to keep getting out and doing *something*, it all helps. :)
    Ramette wrote: »
    yer man in the shop is training for an ultra marathon... 100k :eek: ... guess RK will be doing that shortly :rolleyes:
    Got a lovely light rain jacket too in florescent pink:)...
    So am all set to get meself going again... yer man says the 5k on paddys weekend is good craic... (though he probably runs that in 2 seconds flat!!)
    If it's Ash you were talking to, he's lovely - very helpful (he lurks on boards too). Was talking to him briefly today too, was looking for a particular pair of shorts which I saw online and wanted because they match my Barcelona marathon shirt exactly colour-wise.

Ye know there is another tLL poster who has done Conn ultra (39.3 miles) twice and a 50-miler, right? :pac:

I'm actually giving some consideration to doing a 50k this year if I don't get to do the Connemara marathon, nothing decided for certain yet. We'll see.

RK - you are INSANE.. 50K:eek: you must not be human!

It's less than 8km more than a marathon. Similar sort of training, pacing a bit slower, and a slightly higher pain threshold, will do the trick. :)

Nothing's set in stone though, it all depends on how I get over this injury and what I decide would be fun over the summer. I want to do a good few shorter races too so I may end up just deciding to focus on them while I build up for a good strong attempt at the Dublin marathon on Halloween.

I probably would have said the same thing 3 years ago, tbh.

W5D3 done.

I was able to jog for 20 minutes straight, keeping a nice steady pace and even managed to quicken my pace even more for the last minute. Another fist pump, this time with teenage girls behind me but I didn't care- I looked awesome.

Psycho-hope - BeginnerTriathlete made a Conservative Couch to 5k program - you could have a look at that and consider a similar sort of very slow buildup like that, particularly if you're coming from a very low fitness base. You could also try adding 1-2 one minute run intervals into a 30 minute walk and see how you get on from that. The important thing is to keep getting out and doing *something*, it all helps. :)

If it's Ash you were talking to, he's lovely - very helpful (he lurks on boards too). Was talking to him briefly today too, was looking for a particular pair of shorts which I saw online and wanted because they match my Barcelona marathon shirt exactly colour-wise.

Ye know there is another tLL poster who has done Conn ultra (39.3 miles) twice and a 50-miler, right? :pac:

I'm actually giving some consideration to doing a 50k this year if I don't get to do the Connemara marathon, nothing decided for certain yet. We'll see.
    thanks Kirby, will have a proper read of that site later

W5D3 done.

I was able to jog for 20 minutes straight, keeping a nice steady pace and even managed to quicken my pace even more for the last minute. Another fist pump, this time with teenage girls behind me but I didn't care- I looked awesome.

Well done, you must be delighted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

+1.000.000:eek:

Meanwhile I have had the crappiest week from hell, phone broke, car broke, work broke ( if you know what I mean), broke broke and I did W8D2 on Tuesday while in a rage of injustice ( and that was before the car and the phone etc) but I did not do W8D3 as scheduled this am and instead stayed in bed with a coffee and an air of injury. Fat lot of good that did me. I'm gonna do it tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Well done, you must be delighted :)

Couldn't be happier- I'm also equally delighted to know that it was just under 5km! I found this site where you can input your walk/jog on Google maps and it'll tell you the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

W4D1 today-finished it, but 5 min runs are hard! really want to get week 5 finished by wed week, cos i'm heading to the uk to see my sister for the weekend and there'll be lots of wine and no running for those four days. should be fine if i go out every 2nd day between now and then, and try not to think about the fact that a 5 min run nearly killed me today and i'm expecting to run 20 mins nonstop in 10 days time. :eek:
    having my own music is a godsend though, am loving it! am covering 3.8km at the moment, which isn't too bad i think. although squeakyduck, you're putting me to shame slightly with your distances!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Finished Week3 today and looking forward to W4D1 on Monday morning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

W8D3 this morning. Felt good, bring on W9.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Feeling energetic this morning and completed w4d2 today, delighted with myself seeing as I found day 1 tough

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

W2D2 done, much easier than W2D1. Feeling really chuffed with myself now :)

One thing I did notice today was that my right shin was kinda uncomfortable. Is that normal for someone just beginning to run? Or should I keep an eye on it and maybe get it checked out if it continues?

It's normal to have a few aches and pains and uncomfortable moments early on - your body is adjusting to new stresses. If it turns from "discomfort" to "pain" though, get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

It's normal to have a few aches and pains and uncomfortable moments early on - your body is adjusting to new stresses. If it turns from "discomfort" to "pain" though, get it checked out.

Cheers, will keep an eye on it so. Am getting new runners this week so maybe that will help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Okay, so I started C25K on Tuesday, but I had a really sore thigh at the time. Anyway, I go to the gym a few times a week and today I noticed while I was doing a cool down run that I can quite easily run 2k. As in, 2k was my target but I could have went on no problem. Do you think it'd be okay for me to skip a bit further into the programme? 'Cause a 30 second run doesn't challenge me. Or should I stick with it anyway?

If you can run 2k, I'd start onto week 4 or 5 and see how you get on. If you struggle at that stage you can always drop back, if you find it easy then jump ahead again or start into a beginners 10k plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If you can run 2k, I'd start onto week 4 or 5 and see how you get on. If you struggle at that stage you can always drop back, if you find it easy then jump ahead again or start into a beginners 10k plan.

I'll give Week 4 a go then and see how that is. :) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Ran 10K around the park today. Wheee! Wrecked.

• Advertisement

I've been out monday wednesday thursday saturday , would it be bad if I went tonight as well?
    Next week will be monday thursday and then I don't know since the big one is on sunday...

Advertisement