Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Well I did it, my body is screaming what the hell did you just do me? But it was worth it, I'm off for a shower and a little rest now, hopefully the next run will be a bit easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I am terrified of week 3, I can't jog for 3 minutes straight, what am I thinking! :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

clicli wrote: »
    Well I did it, my body is screaming what the hell did you just do me? But it was worth it, I'm off for a shower and a little rest now, hopefully the next run will be a bit easier!

Well done, we've all been there. Starting off is the most difficult but you will get a momentum going and eventually it'll become a natural part of your day. I'm just reaching that stage now, if I don't run my body does wonder what's going on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Hey ladies,

A friend just sent me a link to the Today FM site - apparently they're running a series of 5km races around the country at the start of April and entry's only 5 euro. I thought it might be something cool to aim for, especially as a good few of us seem to be around week 5/6/7/8 of the programme. More info here: http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/JoinRayFor5K.aspx

Sorry if this is old news!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

W2D1 completed today :) wasn't too bad, the first 15 minutes felt like torture, but after that I got in to it. My last walk, I felt ready to start jogging again after a minute. And for my last jog, I kept going after the time for 30 seconds so I ended up jogging 2 minutes straight. Considering only 6 weeks ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds, I'm very happy with myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

W7D2 complete(ish) can get to the 20 mins but then my mental self kicks in :( but my speed was faster than before so i guess i just keep at it and eventually i will get to 30 mins! twas nice to run under the stars :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

w8d1 completed. in theory :rolleyes:
    I feel like I've seriously gone downhill again, wtf? I think I might have pushed my speed back up unconsciously or something but whatever it is I can't even run 3k without stopping. I sprinted the final 1/2 km as determinedly as I could but OW. My calves have seized up now and I can't walk down the stairs :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Someone tell me this will pass and I'll get fit again!!!
    I'm supposed to be doing that stupid 5km run the weekend after this but I will have to walk half of it at this rate!!
    :(:(:mad::mad:

now now bluewolf let there be no :mad: or :(, i can only do 20 mins for the last two runs instead of 25... look it is not a competition, you are running to get fit, you will get there as will i.. we have to just stop being so hard on ourselves and make sure you stretch those calves girl...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ramette wrote: »
    now now bluewolf let there be no :mad: or :(, i can only do 20 mins for the last two runs instead of 25... look it is not a competition, you are running to get fit, you will get there as will i.. we have to just stop being so hard on ourselves and make sure you stretch those calves girl...
    It's a competition against ME :D
    I think I have actually pushed up my speed now that I think about it, that might explain it
    But I don't wanna slow down again
    I did my stretches before I went out but maybe not enough of them!

Is anybody else doing the 5k next week and are they going to walk some of it too? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

What type of stretches are recomended to do before and after sessions? My legs are bleedin' killin' me! :(

• Advertisement

clicli wrote: »
    What type of stretches are recomended to do before and after sessions? My legs are bleedin' killin' me! :(

I should probably find out recommended ones, I do
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/goodhousekeeping/images/inner-thigh-stretch-0504-fb.jpg
    where you lean forward to put your head onto your feet (not that I can do that yet, I used to but got unflexible again), that works the thighs - knees should be flat on the ground though

and
    http://www.fitnessgenerator.com/images/exercises/Single%20Leg%20Hamstring%20Stretch.gif
    that stretches the calves

The guy in runways said I need to do more outer thigh stretches cos they're obviously stiff when I run so I'll do these ones also
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/assets/exercises/Gluteal-and-Outer-Thigh-Stretch.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

W3D1 completed this morning - can't believe the weeks are flying by so quickly. I found it quite ok tbh, I think I'm starting to believe that this is a programme that I can actually see through to the very end (really hoping I don't regret saying that!!!). On another positive note, I had a weigh in yesterday and since the middle of September last year I've lost exactly 40 pounds! My ambition to get fit and healthy this year is well on its way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

Week 3 day 3 done, feel like crap today, have a stupid headcold, nearly wasn't going to do it but preserved and completed it, happy now that I done it. Hopefully will be on the mend tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I did W1D1 today. It went pretty well considering I have no level of fitness. Chuffed that I managed to get a couple of the runs done. Came in buzzing! Just hope I can walk in the morning :P

Should I do W1 until I can finish every run through?

W5D1 done.

My pace has been increasing a lot more with each run now. I'm going further too. Feeling pretty good, if sweaty. Shower time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

For anyone making their own podcasts this link- http://diy-c25k-mp3s.com/diy-c25k-mp3s/make-your-own-mp3s/ -is really good at explaining what you have to do, esp if you're a bit dim with computers like me.
    W3D1 today, went pretty well. Just finished putting together my own podcast now so i'm tempted to skip my rest day and head out again tomorrow to try it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I was pressed for time this evening, so I did W5D3 (20 minutes) instead of the 30 minutes, but pushed myself harder just to see what I could do. Went from a 12 minute mile to an 11 minute mile, covering the same route I did for the 25 minute runs! It's great to see these little improvements. It seems like only yesterday I was pissed off over not being able to do those three minute runs!

So... 10k training begins on Wednesday :( Has anyone else done to Ease into 10k/Bridge to 10k program? Bridge to 10k looks a bit much (First run is 40 minutes, feck!) so I was thinking of going with Ease into 10k and starting from Week 4.

I've paid for my Flora mini-marathon entry... but haven't told anyone yet! I'm keeping it a secret until the idea of me actually running 10km seems feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I've decided I'm going to keep proper track of times and distances.

So starting with today's run:

W3D3: 18mins - 1.20miles

I did ok considering I did my run after my 1hr workout. This week will probably be just running on my 'off' days.

Looking forward to week 4.

So should we have a tll/c25k beers after next weekend's 5k??

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

just completed w1d1- delighted to have started and not hated it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bluewolf wrote: »
    So should we have a tll/c25k beers after next weekend's 5k??

Hell yeah - even a mid-afternoon tLL coffee would be nice after it!

Am currently targeting Thursday for my first post-Barcelona easy run. We'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

This is a great thread!! I started C2-5k in January and I'm now up to week 7 day 2 (just had 3 weeks off after going back home to NZ on holiday *cough cough*)! Went for a jog yesterday and my word did it feel a bit harder!!!

Have also lost a bit of weight (about 5kg) and looking more toned... hubby is appreciative!! Keep at it anyone who's started!

Now gotta get my backside back out tomorrow for a run...!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Finally got around to starting! W1D1 tonight. Did a pretty intense gym session last night so was really feeling it in my legs today, but I was DYING to start this so couldn't wait 'til tomorrow. LOVED IT! :D There is nothing like running in the wind and the rain. It felt so great. :D My legs were like jelly going up the stairs when I get home, but I'm already excited about D2!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Well done Novella!! It feels great when you get up to the straight non-stop running parts!!

Running is so great for the body and mind. Am recently unemployed so it gets me out the house, is free exercise and keeps me sane!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

I've decided I'm going to keep proper track of times and distances.

So starting with today's run:

W3D3: 18mins - 1.20miles

I did ok considering I did my run after my 1hr workout. This week will probably be just running on my 'off' days.

Looking forward to week 4.

How do you keep track of the distance covered?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

paulgalway wrote: »
    How do you keep track of the distance covered?

Cheap way: Stopwatch and MapMyRun/Gmaps Pedometer/Google Maps
    Expensive way: Garmin GPS watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I downloaded an app called buddy runner from the android app store, it's free too. You start it when you start out and when you finish you stop it it gives you how long you were out for, how much distance you ran/walked, how many calories you burned, and how quick you ran/walked a mile.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Supposed to be heading out for W1D2 today but really don't want to. All my muscles are still aching from day one. I can hardly walk, let alone run. What to do...

Supposed to be heading out for W1D2 today but really don't want to. All my muscles are still aching from day one. I can hardly walk, let alone run. What to do...

Get out there and do it!!! :D

• Advertisement

left my bleedin runners at work... now cant do my run this evening :cool:

Advertisement