Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice : Madness returns (EPIC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Just getting to the end of chapter 3 at the moment. This chapter is looooooong, but the art style is amazing here.
    Also, ill just say, watch out for the giant ant statues in level 3. Seriously. Theyre ****ing creepy. Youll know what im talking about when you see them :(

Theres some great stuff in chapter 3 anyway, one of the mini games is
    a 2D platform game where alice gets sucked into a japanese watercolour

This game is seriously amazing. Its not without its faults, but the atmos and art make up for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

calex71 wrote: »
    It's scream at the screen stuff alright, but in a good way , and the check points are perfect imo, not too generous not too unforgiving.

I scraped my knuckle on a part in chapter two (the part with the shark fish and one of the big black enemies) after my 10th death! Threw my hand back and hit the shelf! Ow!

some footage i fraps'ed from the PC version

put it on 720p..**** looks lovely. Thos i had to put physx on low. ****ing ATI :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Just finished chapter 2, finding that the game keeps getting better.

Loved the octopus :D

"This place has more empties than a Dublin brewery..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cant understand the lack of love this is getting from some of the gaming media

wtf is wrong with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Helix wrote: »

wtf is wrong with them

What score did your mag give it ?

Headshot wrote: »
    What score did your mag give it ?

5 stars and recommended

wtf is wrong with them

Theyre too busy taking part in a circle jerk over Child of Eden to notice it :rolleyes:

Think about it, eurogamer gave Homefront a 6, and Alice a 5. does anyone actually think that Alice is actually a worse game than ****ing homefront?!

Actually, **** it. Thats it. I originally thought EG gave homefront a 4, then i looked it up and saw they gave it a 6. Im honestly disgusted anyone could rate a game as imaginative as alice worse than insipid ****e like Homefront. Im never reading another review again.

Im never reading another review again.
    read mine instead :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

some footage i fraps'ed from the PC version

put it on 720p..**** looks lovely. Thos i had to put physx on low. ****ing ATI :(

It simply looks stunning!

• Advertisement

a link would help :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Theyre too busy taking part in a circle jerk over Child of Eden to notice it :rolleyes:

Made the mistake of getting Child of Eden. Sure it looks pretty but its the same game Rez was, only this time in technicolour. Lasts you no time too.

I'll be trading it in for Alice tomorrow.

a link would help :P

its print

click magazine

granted, i could put it online on our site here, but that would require more effort than im willing to make right now

Made the mistake of getting Child of Eden. Sure it looks pretty but its the same game Rez was, only this time in technicolour. Lasts you no time too.

I'll be trading it in for Alice tomorrow.

Ill try CoE when its ridiculously cheap. Even as much as i love Rez, the game can be finished in 40 minutes and aside from high scores, theres little replay value, and that was the vibe i got from CoE. Also, the music sounds crap. Also, if anything the gushing reviews actually turn me off it! I mean read this **** from EG:
    It leaves you with a peculiar sense of power: it feels as though you have the influence of a redemptive god, restoring a fallen world back to its Eden state after a corrupting virus. A splay of the fingers and what is broken is repaired, what is begun is finished. Alpha and Omega. Grasp and splay.

Seriously, i just cant take this crap seriously. They give Alice a 5 and its repetitive and boring, yet an on rails shooter is a 9/10 and the closest you can get to having a game suck you off and make you a sandwich.

Helix, if i see your magazine anywhere, ill have a look :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

as i remember you prety loved it too m8. what magazine you write for?

your nfs shift 2 and mk reviews were prety solid m8, bought bouth, liked bouth.
    p.s. what about your own review thread here?

good few of us know you here, so we would be prety interested in your reviews.

i still cant believe it... lazygamer gave it 6/10, but everyone in comments love the game...

i just dont know wtf is wrong with reviewers? do they all expect anather cod to give a review 8++?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

In the mad hatter area, fcukin little elves with their forks and teaspoons, keep walloping me on the head :D

This is epic, I'm having great fun, GOTY for me so far

lads do you think upgrading the weapons increases damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Headshot wrote: »
    lads do you think upgrading the weapons increases damage?

I resorted to the paid dresses and weapons pack playing on nightmare :o

Checkmate Dress + Knightmare hobby horse FTW

Upgrade benefits were negligible compared to the damage dealt by enemies on that setting :eek:

The checkmate dress seriously overcompensates at times though!!!!!!!!

Is it wrong to say I love her dresses at each stage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

calex71 wrote: »
    I resorted to the paid dresses and weapons pack playing on nightmare :o

Checkmate Dress + Knightmare hobby horse FTW

Upgrade benefits were negligible compared to the damage dealt by enemies on that setting :eek:

The checkmate dress seriously overcompensates at times though!!!!!!!!

I may follow you. On Chapt 2 and one of the parts has 2 Teapots and a Big Black Slime guy. Killed them and 4 Teapots arrived with another Slime Guy. Grrrr arrgh.

chrislad wrote: »
    I may follow you. On Chapt 2 and one of the parts has 2 Teapots and a Big Black Slime guy. Killed them and 4 Teapots arrived with another Slime Guy. Grrrr arrgh.

Imagine this is being read by someone who has no clue about Alice and it's style and design. He would go: wtf?!?! Tea pot?!

chrislad wrote: »

If that doesn't do it, then wait till you meet the colossal ruins !!!!!!!!

I also love her dresses :o

I accidentally equipped the octo-grinder, that thing looks so cool. Shame they took out the baby grinder, which was a baby that spits teeth! Just up to chapter 4, the opening was glorious. And thn once you get to
    queensland
    **** GETS REAL :D

Wow the start of chapter 5 :eek:
    The drills in the walls of the bloody room in the asylum like something from silent hill

FFs by the looks of it it's pretty long game?!

I only started chapter 2 lol. Totally no time for it :( .

Don't feel to good ATM, might have a go a bit later.

FFs by the looks of it it's pretty long game?!

I only started chapter 2 lol. Totally no time for it :( .

Don't feel to good ATM, might have a go a bit later.

Most chapters seem to weigh in around 3 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Chapter 3 seemed to be the longest by far. About 30 minutes into chapter 5 now.

Pretty much got my pros and cons figures out, so for anyone who hasn't played yet, I'll put 'em up here once I'm done. Think there's only 5 chapters, any way

Healium wrote: »
    Chapter 3 seemed to be the longest by far. About 30 minutes into chapter 5 now.

Pretty much got my pros and cons figures out, so for anyone who hasn't played yet, I'll put 'em up here once I'm done. Think there's only 5 chapters, any way

Chapter 5 was my favorite in terms of how it looked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

What do you think of this review;
    ...My motivation to keep going was only to see what it might paint upon my monitor next, not because I craved any more jumpy-stabby. I prayed for jumpy-stabby to stop, in fact. “Just show me the next zone! Unlock Alice’s next dress! I just want to see, I don’t want to play anymore!” That’s what I’d have cried at my PC, were there not someone in the room at the time. What I actually cried was “oh you bast… oh for fuuu… oh not again” and unrepeatable variations upon a theme, as I strove just to get through it. In a great many ways, it’s doing what Psychonauts did, and that’s what drew me to it so much in those early hours, but sadly its spirit just isn’t the wild equal of its superficial madness.

What began as a delight ended as a chore. Tightened down to 6 or 8 hours Alice would have stayed a convincing wonderland, but it’s hard not to suspect that someone just wanted to make the best or even just get their money’s worth out of all that remarkable art. Less curiouser and curiouser, more like averager and averager.

Advertisement