Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Getting nervous already. I wouldn't begrudge Limerick an All Ireland but I've seen so many lost finals that I want our lads to grab as many as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mad rumours going about the place about what JP has promised the Limerick players should they win. Apparently he stuck a few hundred grand on Limerick to win it back a few months ago at something near 20/1 and has promised the players a slice of the pie should they do it..... or so the rumour goes.

Mad rumours going about the place about what JP has promised the Limerick players should they win. Apparently he stuck a few hundred grand on Limerick to win it back a few months ago at something near 20/1 and has promised the players a slice of the pie should they do it..... or so the rumour goes.

Seems like he's offering it to the wrong team :D.

Surely a life time of effort is motivation enough.

Got sorted this evening... Took longer than usual but I got there in the end.

Hoping for a good start to my holidays as I'm flying out Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Referees have done us no favours all year...just hope it's not the same tomorrow.
    Horgan on the line is also a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The day is nearly here. Think we'll need a performance that we haven't got in the past 12 months to win. Don't think we've hit full flight yet this year, semi final performances won't be good enough to beat Limerick. Probably need more than last year's All Ireland but I think this team have it in them. They have not peaked yet.

Tomorrow get the flags and colour out in Croker. We were badly out numbered and out coloured in Thurles against Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Have heard rumours that JP has secured all the tickets from non competing counties. Apparently contacted all 29 county secretaries who received tickets offering them X amount to send tickets their way rather than back to Croke park. Could mean a big Limerick crew there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

mjp wrote: »
    Have heard rumours that JP has secured all the tickets from non competing counties. Apparently contacted all 29 county secretaries who received tickets offering them X amount to send tickets their way rather than back to Croke park. Could mean a big Limerick crew there tomorrow.

Not true,our club got 4 tickets and handed them out to members

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Heard he has given each county secretary a share in a new horse and promised them tickets to grand national and gold Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Referees have done us no favours all year...just hope it's not the same tomorrow.
    Horgan on the line is also a worry.

All counties have similar grievances about referees this year, not exclusive to Galway. Its become virtually impossible to referee at the top level now with the speed of the game, you are going to see more and more mistakes from officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

kala85 wrote: »
    Heard he has given each county secretary a share in a new horse and promised them tickets to grand national and gold Cup.

The more JP puts at stake the better. Puts more pressure on Limerick players to win :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

djPSB wrote: »
    The more JP puts at stake the better. Puts more pressure on Limerick players to win :)

Heard each player was on 20k each to win but prob rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SarahOH

Lads this sounds ridiculous but I’ve never been on the Hill before, only ever had seated tickets; but my friend has a Nally ticket, would she be able to come to meet me on Hill 16 side once she’s in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Best of luck to the seniors and the minors tomorrow. Both sides have done us proud this season regardless of what transpires in the respective finals.

Safe travels to all making the trek to Croker and with a bit of luck we might be beeping over the Shannon tomorrow night.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    All counties have similar grievances about referees this year, not exclusive to Galway. Its become virtually impossible to referee at the top level now with the speed of the game, you are going to see more and more mistakes from officials.

I think the standard of present refs is poor.
    Are the best refs in the country really on the national panel?
    If they are the best refs then god help us.

Although I think Johnny Murphy who is referring the Minor tomorrow is not a bad ref. I think he is decent enough.

What's the chances of a draw tomorrow.

I think Galway will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

SarahOH wrote: »
    Lads this sounds ridiculous but I’ve never been on the Hill before, only ever had seated tickets; but my friend has a Nally ticket, would she be able to come to meet me on Hill 16 side once she’s in??

No. They are two separate sections separated by a barrier . Officially, you can't cross over from one to the other, but it doesn't stop people from trying to hop the barrier. It's a fairly common thing to attempt, as the view from the Hill is much better than from the Nally.

The stewards & Guards are usually quite vigilant at stopping people from trying to hop the barrier, as it's a genuine health & safety risk to have too many people squeezed onto the Hill. However, if you get there early enough, when it's emptyish, you may be able to get a steward to turn a blind eye. Once the Hill starts to fill up, forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

No bookie would take a bet like that so it's just a nonsense rumour.

And I doubt the Limerick players need any financial motivation tomorrow anyway, they have a chance to become legends and to do something that very few Limerick hurlers have ever done.

I think Galway will shade it but for me this one looks tougher than last year. I was very confident we'd beat Waterford but can't have us as much more than slight favourites this time around.

Let's hope it's a classic final though, as a fitting end to a great hurling championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

It’s s great time to be a Galway hurling supporter
    Get behind the boys tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

kala85 wrote: »

A friend told me that James Owens collected a new top of the range Mercedes at Frank Hogan's dealership in Limerick during the week and is promised a 2 week holiday in JP's Sandy Lane hotel in Barbados in the company of Stormy Daniels, if Limerick win.
    Also the ref that disallowed a perfect Limerick goal in the 96 final is now destitute and homeless and spends his days trawling soup kitchens.!!
    My 'friend' read it on some internet forum so it must be true....;);)

The GAA on are on a winner anyway charging 80e a ticket for an amateur sport and not having to pay the players

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Best of luck to the Galway teams today.

A double double would be unbelievable.

Gaillimh Abú

Safe travels to all heading to the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

djPSB wrote: »

Knowing JP that's only for starters. It's unknown the riches this man has accumulated. People don't realise what a hurling man he is. Eamonn Cregan and Ned Rea were late out of the dressing room for the final of 73. They were helping JP into the dressing room through a small window. Now that hes a billionaire he 'll look after everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

aidan24326 wrote: »

No bookie would take a bet like that so it's just a nonsense rumour.

I do not know if the bet is true but bookies do take bets like that all the time. Perhapa not in your street bookies but high rollers have direct access to accounts with massive limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Limerick best place was around 14/1 . You be lucky to get a couple of hundred on at those prices before bookies would slash their price . So that rumour and other jps rumours are bs

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm much more excited about today than I was last year. The dread that this team would never make the breakthrough obviously isn't there this year so I'm just looking forward to the matches.

Gaillimh Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

It was posted to show the ridiculousness of it lads. Relax quoting me there.

Anyway busy motorway, be great to see a decent crowd watching the minors as well but experience tells me that's unlikely.
    Have to say it's a different feel to last year, was twice as nervous despite us being bigger favourites. Hopefully the players are feeling something similar and can play to their ability today. If they do they'll win comfortably, but I can't see anything other than a tight game either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭threeball

Limerick team in the crowne plaza santry right now. I'd encourage all supporters to get in and wish them well. I'm sure they've a few tickets still going spare too.

Jesus lads this is grim.

It's about 80/20 to Limerick, you'd swear we're only in the minor game.

How did they get this many tickets , it's not as if there wasn't interest and we outnumbered Waterford last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Jesus lads this is grim.

It's about 80/20 to Limerick, you'd swear we're only in the minor game.

How did they get this many tickets , it's not as if there wasn't interest and we outnumbered Waterford last year.

Next to impossible get a ticket. Any good Galway pub in Dublin to watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

threeball wrote: »
    Limerick team in the crowne plaza santry right now. I'd encourage all supporters to get in and wish them well. I'm sure they've a few tickets still going spare too.

And I'd encourage all Limerick supporters with an ounce of cop on, to leave the players alone. They're playing in an AI final in a couple of hours FFS. Leave them be !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement