Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Robson99

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Funny how people are generally saying he was cleaned by Connors. Watched the game back yesterday and he was directly accountable for 4 scores, the superb one he scored, won a tap over free and assisted two. Thought he had a grand final and is very unlucky not to be in the discussion.

On the Canning discussion, you can spin it both ways, that he's held to too high a standard, or that he gets it on reputation. I'd be a massive fan but would be inclined to think the latter tbh. Given his body of work over the year, i'd find it very hard to argue his case over say Conor Cooney, who's sensational scores in the final are being overlooked, solid game v Tipp, excellent v Wexford and lively the first two. And even he's probably behind Whelan. Canning's excellence has been understated on many occasions but I do think a few outshone him this year
    Cannings conversion rate from strikes at the post was exceptional in the final. And having watched the game again a couple of times no player worked harder than him for the 70mins. POTY without doubt imo

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Only saw the result so don't know the story of the match but Mountbellew-Moylough gave Monivea-Abbey some paddlin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

grbear wrote: »
    Only saw the result so don't know the story of the match but Mountbellew-Moylough gave Monivea-Abbey some paddlin today.

Mountbellew were impressive but monivea were poor.

Corofin were shockingly poor and should have been beaten by annaghdown. If Comer was at the races it would have been an easy win but he was no more than a passenger. Had to have been carrying an illness or bad injury as he barely ran at all and when he did he was bunched afterwards.
    If the management were worth a damn they would have either taken him off or put him ff and told not to budge unless the ball fell on him.

Going by today's games we could finally be looking at new champions in Galway which is badly needed as Corofins dominance is killing the game in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

threeball wrote: »
    Mountbellew were impressive but monivea were poor.

Corofin were shockingly poor and should have been beaten by annaghdown. If Comer was at the races it would have been an easy win but he was no more than a passenger. Had to have been carrying an illness or bad injury as he barely ran at all and when he did he was bunched afterwards.
    If the management were worth a damn they would have either taken him off or put him ff and told not to budge unless the ball fell on him.

Going by today's games we could finally be looking at new champions in Galway which is badly needed as Corofins dominance is killing the game in Galway.

M/A probably better than they looked but it was a big ask to step up from Intermediate and compete at that level. M/M ran into a serious vein of form in the second half. Evergreen Joe Bergin excellent for the winners, Mike Daly opened up more when the game was won. M/M very fluid and mobile and have a good scoring potential if they can avoid fonging wides a bit.

Corofin won from memory. They can thank Justin Burke, hobbling at the end, who kicked 3 good points off the bench. Sadly for him, Gary Sice looks finished at this level. Hard to know about Damien Comer; doing too much weights and not concentrating on skill-work, of which he needs a lot. I just have my doubts he'll ever be as good as we hope for him; the aforementioned Daly, for all his drawbacks, could be more important in the long run. Comer should have seen black too for his pull-down on Lundy. Fitzie still a better fullback than anything else available to Kevin Walsh.

When/where is the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

ClanofLams wrote: »
    People hold Canning to far higher standards than other, even if only subconsciously. He had a very good league, was man of the match v Dublin, solid if cruising through the next two games.

Poor half against Tipperary but when the pressure was on, he stepped up, five brilliant points getting Galway over the line. 9 points in the final, including a couple from play, a majestic sideline (that is now taken for granted with Canning) and at least one free from inside his own half, didn't miss a placed ball in the final as far as I can recall.

If Canning had been ruled out for the season with injury and Jason Flynn, for example, had the same season, not alone would he win hurler of the year, it would be a coronation. He also would have got man of the match in the semi and been nominated in the final.
    Pity I could only like this once! Well said!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Corofin were appalling by all accounts

That said id be still amazed to see them lose the final. Annaghdown have been incredibly sticky and well organised all year. That was the scare corofin probably needed

No other team in the county could bring on a player of the quality of Justin Burke and that was the difference

They have definitely been drawn more into the pack though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Final is fixed for the 15th. Hard to make much of either game. Mountbellew were decent in the first game but it's hard to judge anything with how poor Monivea/Abbey were. Shane Moran at full but looked decent, John Daly at 6 was very good. Bergin and Cathal Kenny ran midfield. While Mike Daly, Barry McHugh and Finnerty when he came on were good as would be expected.

Second game was dire. Annaghdown had little belief they could win. Fitzgerald was super. Along with Molloy Liam Silke and match winner Justin Burke. Kerin was excellent. Didn't give Ian Burke a sniff. Duggan was impressive around the middle. Other than that other big players were poor. Comer started with a great point to open the scoring didn't little else. Frankie Burke backed himself too often from poor positions. Young Ryan Forde turned over a lot of ball. All I can hope is M/M play the final with the belief they can win. Psychologically Corofin have some teams beaten before the ball is thrown in.

MfMan wrote: »
    M/A probably better than they looked but it was a big ask to step up from Intermediate and compete at that level. M/M ran into a serious vein of form in the second half. Evergreen Joe Bergin excellent for the winners, Mike Daly opened up more when the game was won. M/M very fluid and mobile and have a good scoring potential if they can avoid fonging wides a bit.

Corofin won from memory. They can thank Justin Burke, hobbling at the end, who kicked 3 good points off the bench. Sadly for him, Gary Sice looks finished at this level. Hard to know about Damien Comer; doing too much weights and not concentrating on skill-work, of which he needs a lot. I just have my doubts he'll ever be as good as we hope for him; the aforementioned Daly, for all his drawbacks, could be more important in the long run. Comer should have seen black too for his pull-down on Lundy. Fitzie still a better fullback than anything else available to Kevin Walsh.

When/where is the final?

It wasn't weights that had him doubled over and blowing hard after 3 mins of action.

I agree that we could already have seen the best of him as he's kind of all or nothing in every aspect of the game which means he gives but takes a lot of punishment. If he keeps playing the same style he'll be done by 27.

I'd disagree on the Lundy pulldown. Didn't even think it was a foul. Completely dislodged the ball in the tackle. Can't penalise a lad for his strength.

Corofin will have to go from 2nd to 5th gear to have any chance in the final.

Final is fixed for the 15th. Hard to make much of either game. Mountbellew were decent in the first game but it's hard to judge anything with how poor Monivea/Abbey were. Shane Moran at full but looked decent, John Daly at 6 was very good. Bergin and Cathal Kenny ran midfield. While Mike Daly, Barry McHugh and Finnerty when he came on were good as would be expected.

Second game was dire. Annaghdown had little belief they could win. Fitzgerald was super. Along with Molloy Liam Silke and match winner Justin Burke. Kerin was excellent. Didn't give Ian Burke a sniff. Duggan was impressive around the middle. Other than that other big players were poor. Comer started with a great point to open the scoring didn't little else. Frankie Burke backed himself too often from poor positions. Young Ryan Forde turned over a lot of ball. All I can hope is M/M play the final with the belief they can win. Psychologically Corofin have some teams beaten before the ball is thrown in.

Corofins pick is just too large at this stage. They dwarf every other club in terms of playing numbers and catchment. Its getting difficult to get 15 lads from other clubs to give a solid commitment as they know the chances of winning a county title is minimal with the behemoth that is corofin looming every year.

Hopefully mountbellew can put them to the sword this year but they are unusual in that they have an exceptional group coming together at this time with numerous county standard players in their ranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

threeball wrote: »
    Corofins pick is just too large at this stage. They dwarf every other club in terms of playing numbers and catchment. Its getting difficult to get 15 lads from other clubs to give a solid commitment as they know the chances of winning a county title is minimal with the behemoth that is corofin looming every year.

Hopefully mountbellew can put them to the sword this year but they are unusual in that they have an exceptional group coming together at this time with numerous county standard players in their ranks.

Always felt belclare and corofin should be separate teams

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Always felt belclare and corofin should be separate teams

Yes or at a very minimum sylane should be part of kilconly. There's more houses in belclare than in kilconly and kilbannon combined.
    Any club that covers from Tuam to claregalway and from caherlistrane to abbeyknockmoy is just too big. Not to mention its a major commuter area for the city with the n17 running right through the heart of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

MfMan wrote: »

When/where is the final?

15th and I guess tuam. Can't see how they would put a Mountbellew Corofin match in Pearse - there would be uproar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Maybe the fact that Corofin had so many involved with the Galway panel this year has left them burnt out. Would expect a few changes the next day and Daithi Burke to come in at midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Its an utterly stupid rule devoid of common sense tbh. Made by absolute pillocks who i would say never played the game at any level. The chap probably went over there for work reasons and returned to represent his parish.

This 'rule' needs to be scrapped as soon as possible or at least looked at. Turloughmore were at absolutely no advantage by playing this lad whatsoever unless he somehow gained superpowers in 'Murica.

Worse, he hadn't even left to the US yet when the match was played.
    I'm guessing the sanction came through a couple of days sooner than was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Intermediate football semi-finals next weekend

Aran Islands v Williamstown
    Kilkerrin/Clonberne v Claregalway

The draw for the preliminary quarter finals of the Galway senior hurling championship was made last night:

Turloughmore or Portumna v Castlegar

St Thomas v Killimordaly

Tommy Larkins v Clarenbridge

Cappataggle v Kilnadeema Leitrim

No dates have been confirmed yet for the games until a decision is made by the DRA on the Turloughmore v Portumna saga. Craughwell, Gort, Sarsfields and Liam Mellows are already through to the quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Intermediate football semi-finals next weekend

Aran Islands v Williamstown
    Kilkerrin/Clonberne v Claregalway

K/C and Aran islands to win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Wins for Eyrecourt and Kiltormer in the Intermediate c'ship, while Abbeyknockmoy relegate Carnmore by 0-17 to 0-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Aran Islands 0-12 Williamstown 0-12

Replay required.

Interesting to see there was no posts on the Special Congress which effected Galway more than most.

Championship games are returning to Pearse in 2018.
    Thoughts of Galway and KK on a sunny day will rival the Galway/Mayo match days.

U21s finally have a home in the Leinster champ and the minors will get a minimum of two games though I think they're still being shafted there as the team's joining them will already have had a life lost.
    In theory though they get a "second chance" as you'd only have to win one game in most scenarios to be one of the two.

The only worry with the senior set up is that while a Munster team has the prospect to fall should Kerry win the T2, they still have a play off to save themselves.
    Leinster is straight relegation and that's all well and good while Offaly are poor, but if they suddenly got to a punchers chance of winningn games there's the slight chance we could end up out of the Liam one year(miniscule I know).

• Advertisement

Interesting to see there was no posts on the Special Congress which effected Galway more than most.

Championship games are returning to Pearse in 2018.
    Thoughts of Galway and KK on a sunny day will rival the Galway/Mayo match days.

U21s finally have a home in the Leinster champ and the minors will get a minimum of two games though I think they're still being shafted there as the team's joining them will already have had a life lost.
    In theory though they get a "second chance" as you'd only have to win one game in most scenarios to be one of the two.

The only worry with the senior set up is that while a Munster team has the prospect to fall should Kerry win the T2, they still have a play off to save themselves.
    Leinster is straight relegation and that's all well and good while Offaly are poor, but if they suddenly got to a punchers chance of winningn games there's the slight chance we could end up out of the Liam one year(miniscule I know).

100% shafted in the minor championship. Again, Galway are discriminated against. This time even more so, as Ulster counties are allowed into the minor championship at provincial level. Crazy.

I really dont care about hurling home matches. It is unfair that Galway were denied the opportunity to have home games. But personally, I feel that Tullamore is a far better venue for a hurling game than Pearse. It is probably just as accessible from the south of the county as well.

Anybody know when dates for next years league fixtures will be released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Whats the story with people talking abot minor/u21 championships? Are both not being replace next year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Whats the story with people talking abot minor/u21 championships? Are both not being replace next year?
    Well the u-18 is being replaced by u-17 but will still be called minor. Only the U-21 football is being replaced, by u-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I like the new format. I think hurling needed it really. There needs to be more hurling games during the summer. There's an awful lot of high end hurling played in February and March when pitches are poor.

I think Munster is going to be especially cut-throat and there should be some great crowds and matches before the Top 2 are decided there.

4 games gives everyone a fair chance to make their mark on the championship. I think it will really put the league back to where it stood maybe 10-15 years ago in terms of importance though and when it comes to the knockout stages I can't see the Munster teams in particular being anyway pushed about trying to win it.

Also the balance needs to be struck with club games but I think this is a major chance to revamp the calendar and force counties to put a proper plan in place for their club players.

I think there'll be a lot more excitement about this development than the Super 8s in football which is merely papering over the cracks of a broken championship.

Under 21s is good news. We badly needed that. They fudged the u17 issue for the moment which is very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Anybody know when dates for next years league fixtures will be released?

Last year it was around the 20th of november.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

New kickout rules have to be a positive for the footballers. Our kickout strategy has probably been bottom 10 out of all teams, both our's and dealing with the oppositions. If the GAA are taking the tactics out of it slightly and forcing more long ones, we've slightly more chance of breaking even out there at least

New kickout rules have to be a positive for the footballers. Our kickout strategy has probably been bottom 10 out of all teams, both our's and dealing with the oppositions. If the GAA are taking the tactics out of it slightly and forcing more long ones, we've slightly more chance of breaking even out there at least

My thoughts exactly.

However the likes of Dublin rarely kick it to the corners and will still generally kick it into a runners path on the wings.

Mayo used that corner kick more, but again options beyond the line will open up by just getting the ball placed quickly which both do.

But no doubt this at least helps us 15% against those two teams.

I still think KW needs to go though.

How he watches the business end and picks up nothing in terms of kick outs and build up play is beyond me.

If Mayo are that close to Dublin we must at least have the raw materials to push on further and he's not the one to do that based on the past three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

My thoughts exactly.

However the likes of Dublin rarely kick it to the corners and will still generally kick it into a runners path on the wings.

Mayo used that corner kick more, but again options beyond the line will open up by just getting the ball placed quickly which both do.

But no doubt this at least helps us 15% against those two teams.

I still think KW needs to go though.

How he watches the business end and picks up nothing in terms of kick outs and build up play is beyond me.

If Mayo are that close to Dublin we must at least have the raw materials to push on further and he's not the one to do that based on the past three years.
    I think unfortunately we're going to have another season of KW.

• Advertisement

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I think unfortunately we're going to have another season of KW.

KW did deliver a Connacht title, a division two title and beaten Mayo two years in a row.

Yes maybe some mistakes made but a little respect please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement