Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Canning up against 2 Waterford players for POTY. Definitely think David Burke had a biggee year tbh and Mc is probably the best we had. The chances of Waterford winning POTY two years in a row without winning a final is gas.

Shouldn't really matter though? We're talking about the best player in a 20 man game, easily conceivable he doesn't come from the winning team.

Think two Waterford players getting nominated was to avoid the Galway vote being split because Joe was not even yer 2nd best player as you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Canning up against 2 Waterford players for POTY. Definitely think David Burke had a biggee year tbh and Mc is probably the best we had. The chances of Waterford winning POTY two years in a row without winning a final is gas.

I thought Conor Cooney was our best player this year tbh. His best year in maroon anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I'd say there's just a determination there that Joe Canning will get the POTY award this year as a reward for long service irrespective of the merits of others. He hardly featured with the Sunday Game panel's discussion as POTY on the night of the All-Ireland.

Jamie Barron is a hugely strong candidate who had a great year but the nomination of two Waterford players probably puts paid to his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Anyone have any info on the turlough port saga?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

the current situation? or what its all about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Robson99

I thought Conor Cooney was our best player this year tbh. His best year in maroon anyway.

A lot had very good seasons. Padraic Mannion was outstanding as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Looks like it's gone above the county board to Connacht Council or DRA. Hard to see Turloughmore not getting done for it tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

what saga is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They brought on a player in the championship pool who had only just registered to a Yank club and he helped Turlough beat Portumna.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

What stage is the championship at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

thesultan wrote: »
    What stage is the championship at?

Groups just finished. Senior B playoffs this weekend then prelim quarters after that with 4 senior A teams v 4 senior Bs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

It'll be interesting to see if all those clamouring for AI tickets in my adopted galway parish come out and support our club team for the rest of the championship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think David Burke's poor game in the semi against Tipp cost him any chance. Could barely even pick the ball that day. Completely turned it around in the final though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

It's an individual award at the end of the day. I think they feel that the two Tipp lads split the vote last year which is why there is just one Galway player this year. The problem is Joe Canning wasn't Galways best player this year, not even close. David Burke, McIlerney, Cooney and Mannion were all better in my opinion. You certainly wouldn't begrudge Canning winning it for what he's given to hurling over his career. It will be interesting to see what way voting goes because of the three nominated Jamie Barron had the strongest year by a mile.

They brought on a player in the championship pool who had only just registered to a Yank club and he helped Turlough beat Portumna.

Seriously though I think this rule needs to be looked at big time. its so stupid. The American clubs have no bearing on the local championship back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Seriously though I think this rule needs to be looked at big time. its so stupid. The American clubs have no bearing on the local championship back home.

It has a massive bearing on the Club championships overseas - why should they be able to parachute anyone they like in to participate ?

ifah wrote: »
    It has a massive bearing on the Club championships overseas - why should they be able to parachute anyone they like in to participate ?

Lads go earn the few bob. big deal. No one honestly gives a fúck about the championships overseas except maybe the players themselves involved and sure every team can poach players if they so wish.

They are amateurs at the end of the day that need to work and live. Tony Keady was denied playing in an All ireland semi final because he played in a meaningless game in the USA. It was one of the lousiest decisions ever taken in the history of the GAA.
    He had to go abroad for work because Ireland was going through a huge recession at the time. Similarly at the moment lads still have to emigrate for the bit of work . Where exactly is the problem? These lads give up their free time to play for the parish and/or the county. They should be treated with more respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Lads go earn the few bob. big deal. No one honestly gives a fúck about the championships overseas except maybe the players themselves involved and sure every team can poach players if they so wish.

They are amateurs at the end of the day that need to work and live. Tony Keady was denied playing in an All ireland semi final because he played in a meaningless game in the USA. It was one of the lousiest decisions ever taken in the history of the GAA.
    He had to go abroad for work because Ireland was going through a huge recession at the time. Similarly at the moment lads still have to emigrate for the bit of work . Where exactly is the problem? These lads give up their free time to play for the parish and/or the county. They should be treated with more respect.

Rules is rules this is not the first time they have fcuked up.In the not to distant past either so are they both genuine mistakes or something a bit more sinister did they not learn from the first mistake or did they genuinely think they would get away with it a second time and nobody would notice.

I said wrote: »
    Rules is rules this is not the first time they have fcuked up.In the not to distant past either so are they both genuine mistakes or something a bit more sinister did they not learn from the first mistake or did they genuinely think they would get away with it a second time and nobody would notice.

If the lad is from the parish and not a L.Messi drafted in, which is going to be the case 99.9% of the time, its much muchness.

The GAA needs a massive overhaul in a lot of ways, and it should be easy as its it's a singular region organisation with yearly reviews but they don't care about making easy/obvious changes.

I said wrote: »

Its an utterly stupid rule devoid of common sense tbh. Made by absolute pillocks who i would say never played the game at any level. The chap probably went over there for work reasons and returned to represent his parish.

This 'rule' needs to be scrapped as soon as possible or at least looked at. Turloughmore were at absolutely no advantage by playing this lad whatsoever unless he somehow gained superpowers in 'Murica.

There is no interest whatsover in the club championships in the States for anyone to be that bothered by the fact he played over there. I would doubt many players over here are somehow dying to get their hands on a New York championship medal or wherever. Its an Irish gathering and nothing more. A bit of niggle perhaps if you are playing a match but at the final whistle, win or lose you probably forget about it quickly and remember your time in the US for the reason you went over there in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

redlead wrote: »
    The problem is Joe Canning wasn't Galways best player this year, not even close. David Burke, McIlerney, Cooney and Mannion were all better in my opinion.

People hold Canning to far higher standards than other, even if only subconsciously. He had a very good league, was man of the match v Dublin, solid if cruising through the next two games.

Poor half against Tipperary but when the pressure was on, he stepped up, five brilliant points getting Galway over the line. 9 points in the final, including a couple from play, a majestic sideline (that is now taken for granted with Canning) and at least one free from inside his own half, didn't miss a placed ball in the final as far as I can recall.

If Canning had been ruled out for the season with injury and Jason Flynn, for example, had the same season, not alone would he win hurler of the year, it would be a coronation. He also would have got man of the match in the semi and been nominated in the final.

If the lad is from the parish and not a L.Messi drafted in, which is going to be the case 99.9% of the time, its much muchness.

The GAA needs a massive overhaul in a lot of ways, and it should be easy as its it's a singular region organisation with yearly reviews but they don't care about making easy/obvious changes.

A overhaul you say it's nearly thirty years since the keady affair and nothing has changed regarding this rule.
    So my question is does this happen in every other county (players registered in America and come home to play) and no notice taken or do teams regard that rule?

Its an utterly stupid rule devoid of common sense tbh. Made by absolute pillocks who i would say never played the game at any level. The chap probably went over there for work reasons and returned to represent his parish.

This 'rule' needs to be scrapped as soon as possible or at least looked at. Turloughmore were at absolutely no advantage by playing this lad whatsoever unless he somehow gained superpowers in 'Murica.

There is no interest whatsover in the club championships in the States for anyone to be that bothered by the fact he played over there. I would doubt many players over here are somehow dying to get their hands on a New York championship medal or wherever. Its an Irish gathering and nothing more. A bit of niggle perhaps if you are playing a match but at the final whistle, win or lose you probably forget about it quickly and remember your time in the US for the reason you went over there in the first place.

It does need looking at alright but while it's there clubs will refer back to it if they feel they have a case e.g. Beagh and Portumna.
    This is turloughmores second time in less than four years to be embroiled in this controversy.
    It's not like they can claim innocence the second time,and claim a genuine error.Whatever advantage was gained or not is immaterial by playing the player in question they fcuked up either by accident or design of thier own misfortune.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    People hold Canning to far higher standards than other, even if only subconsciously. He had a very good league, was man of the match v Dublin, solid if cruising through the next two games.

Poor half against Tipperary but when the pressure was on, he stepped up, five brilliant points getting Galway over the line. 9 points in the final, including a couple from play, a majestic sideline (that is now taken for granted with Canning) and at least one free from inside his own half, didn't miss a placed ball in the final as far as I can recall.

If Canning had been ruled out for the season with injury and Jason Flynn, for example, had the same season, not alone would he win hurler of the year, it would be a coronation. He also would have got man of the match in the semi and been nominated in the final.

But sure if we are counting frees and even points from play then Paudie Mahony would be hurler of the year but I don't think he was even an all star. And in fairness, man of the match v Dublin is not the basis for hurler of the year realistically.

If what you said was true then about Flynn, then Conor Whelan would be getting hurler of the year even with being largely anonymous in the final. If anyone other than Canning had the first 50 minutes he had in the semi final they would have been taken off. 2 bad frees missed and 3 conceded while not making a dent on the scoreboard. Its a credit to him how he stood up afterwards buts lets not go overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

But sure if we are counting frees and even points from play then Paudie Mahony would be hurler of the year but I don't think he was even an all star. And in fairness, man of the match v Dublin is not the basis for hurler of the year realistically.

If what you said was true then about Flynn, then Conor Whelan would be getting hurler of the year even with being largely anonymous in the final. If anyone other than Canning had the first 50 minutes he had in the semi final they would have been taken off. 2 bad frees missed and 3 conceded while not making a dent on the scoreboard. Its a credit to him how he stood up afterwards buts lets not go overboard.

Well Mahony missed at least one in the final, being flawless in the final was very impressive by Canning, he was certainly worthy of a MotM nomination in my view. Callanan missed a couple in the semi too, its rare enough to be 100% from frees, especially when you're taking them on from inside your own half.

Whelan had a great year and a good battle with Connors in the final, but rightly or wrongly, you need to make a bigger impact on the final than he did to get HotY.

Even when struggling against Tipperary in the first half, he got a brilliant sideline to put Galway ahead just before halftime. It's an incredible piece of skill but because Canning has been doing it for so long, it no longer receives much attention. The last 20 minutes were incredible, epic skill and leadership, five great points with the winner being a score for the ages.

Personally, I don't think frees should be conisdered. It's far too easy for top players now.

Mahony missed one, he took more than Canning (Callanan isn't a good free taker by the way). But to be honest I think the impact from play is what should ultimately be considered, brownie points for the sidelines as well as that is a great piece of skill.

Galway have a very well balanced (maybe bar the full back line) team so maybe it is harder to stand out but I didn't see him as the standout player. Seems crazy that 11 pundits can unanimously call McInerney hurler of the year (was amazed that was unanimous by the way) and yet he not even be nominated. Seems a cynical call by the journalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Personally, I don't think frees should be conisdered. It's far too easy for top players now.

Bubble's missed a free at the death to win an All Ireland. Callanan missed frees against Galway when they only lost a point against Galway. Mahony missed a couple in the final when they lost by three. The ability of free takers maybe has taken away from the skill as there are so many excellent free takers around. But they still have to be scored. Joe went back inside his own 65 against Tipp and Waterford to score massive frees.

Bubble's missed a free at the death to win an All Ireland. Callanan missed frees against Galway when they only lost a point against Galway. Mahony missed a couple in the final when they lost by three. The ability of free takers maybe has taken away from the skill as there are so many excellent free takers around. But they still have to be scored. Joe went back inside his own 65 against Tipp and Waterford to score massive frees.

Mahony missed one if I'm not mistaken, in the second half. Canning missed a few handy frees against Tipp as well. They even themselves out over time, it would be something I really would not place to much stock in for individual awards. And most wouldn't. If a few frees and sidelines are really what we have to add in to try and justify Joe as hurler of the year this year then I think thats says enough.

If we were talking about who was hurler of the past 6 years he'd have a strong case, or even who should actually have won hurler of the year in 2012 I think it would be Canning. Just did not see him as hurler of the year this year, definitely not even in my top two and its much of a muchness after that.

Two things I would say for balance, Austin Gleeson should not have gotten it last year and Joseph Cooney will be in very hard luck if he does not get an all star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Mahony missed one if I'm not mistaken, in the second half. Canning missed a few handy frees against Tipp as well. They even themselves out over time, it would be something I really would not place to much stock in for individual awards. And most wouldn't. If a few frees and sidelines are really what we have to add in to try and justify Joe as hurler of the year this year then I think thats says enough.

Simply saying it's a part of the game that shouldn't be underestimated. Have a team with a poor free taker and they will win nothing. Without his last five points against Tipp, two from play and a monster of a free few in the county could score would Galway of won? It's not a one man band by any means but when things were in the melting pot he game up with the goods. For balance I thought he was excellent a couple of years ago. He was top scorer in 2015 putting up cricket scores in some games and didn't even get an All Star. As most think in Galway Joe is judged on different levels to other players. All Stars for me lost their relevance a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Funny how people are generally saying he was cleaned by Connors. Watched the game back yesterday and he was directly accountable for 4 scores, the superb one he scored, won a tap over free and assisted two. Thought he had a grand final and is very unlucky not to be in the discussion.

On the Canning discussion, you can spin it both ways, that he's held to too high a standard, or that he gets it on reputation. I'd be a massive fan but would be inclined to think the latter tbh. Given his body of work over the year, i'd find it very hard to argue his case over say Conor Cooney, who's sensational scores in the final are being overlooked, solid game v Tipp, excellent v Wexford and lively the first two. And even he's probably behind Whelan. Canning's excellence has been understated on many occasions but I do think a few outshone him this year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement