Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

thesultan wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of info here on Galway clubs and regions. Ballinasloe is it a football region or hurling. Name of the club. Sarsfields is where? Club of Connemara? What are Tuam all stars like now? Is galway city football or hurling region? Is the standard strong there?

ballinasloe is both a hurling and football area. The Mannion brothers are from ahascragh - a club not far from there.

Sarsfields is over other side of country to Connemara. Very few hurling clubs in Connemara.

Gakway city is a mix of hurling and football. Probably more football

Tuam stars are average at moment. Beaten in football county quarter final last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Is ballinasloe the name of the gaa club?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

Is ballinasloe the name of the gaa club?

It is.

The, historically very successful, football club in Ballinasloe used to be called St Grellan's, but it's all the one club called Ballinasloe now.

Have they produced many county men?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Have they produced many county men?

An occasional one. Kenneth Naughton was a squad member in 2001. Barry Brennan (later to have some connection with Independent newspapers?) would be the best known recent one, played in 1983. Liam O'Neill, (father of Mayo's Kevin) was there in the 70s. Cyril Dunne off the three-in-a-row team maybe the most famous. There have been many others going back the years. They were a power once and still figure near the top of the roll of honour with senior titles won. They've had some good hurlers too but football would be (or would have been) more dominant in the town.

Sarsfields is from the New Inn/Bullaun parish outside Loughrea.

Connemara has a good few clubs, the vast majority being football; many would have quite large catchment areas but are in the most part more sparsely populated than city or east-of-the-Corrib clubs.

Galway city is more football oriented, particularly in the western side where Salthill and St. Michaels (Rahoon/Newcastle) are located. Fr. Griffins, (inner city), were a strong club for many years but are now featuring only at Junior level. Hurling more to the east of the city with Liam Mellowes (Renmore area) and once-mighty Castlegar (eastern suburbs/Ballybrit etc.) located there. Recent AI winner John Hanbury, (Rahoon/Newcastle), the first man west of the Corrib, or on a west club, to *play* on a winning Senior team I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looking for a bit of info here on Galway clubs and regions. Ballinasloe is it a football region or hurling. Name of the club. Sarsfields is where? Club of Connemara? What are Tuam all stars like now? Is galway city football or hurling region? Is the standard strong there?

Ballainasloe itself is both a football and hurling area although I'd say it's mainly surrounded by hurling clubs like Ahascragh Fohenagh, Cappataggle, Kiltormer, etc. Go a bit further north-west though and you're into football country like Caltra and Mountbellew.

Sarsfields are based about half way between Athenry and Ballinasloe. Based around the villages of New Inn and Bullaun.

Tuam Stars are still playing senior football although a long way from their former glory days. Got knocked out in the quarter-final stage of the club championship only last weekend.

Both football and hurling clubs in Galway city although I'd say the football clubs were a good bit stronger overall than their hurling counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

As someone who is from Ballinasloe it is growing more towards hurling now fielding two adult teams while the footballers can't string even 10 lads for training together and just relegated back to junior only four years since winning the all Ireland junior club. Gaa in the town was a shambles when I was growing up keep harping on about tradition of 50 years ago. But thankfully some good people running things now but change is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

cosatron wrote: »
    he didn't mention the mutineers in past players who didn't win the all Ireland, Collins, Moore and Andy Smyth

We owe these mutineers a debt of gratitude. Donoghue is a far better manager than Cunningham ; the players were correct to oust him as they did.

He should have left when it was obvious the majority of the dressing room was against him rather than drag it out for two months.

Galway hurling is in a better place now than it was under Cunningham and that's all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

May sound strange but I don't think the Galway team even hit its peak this year. Probably didn't put a complete 70 minute performance together apart from the League Final against Tipp.

First half of Leinster Final was sluggish enough followed by a very efficient second half display.

Don't think they ever hit full flow against Tipp in the semi final, that result could have easily gone the other way. Canning wonder point to get over the line. Although most would agree that Galway were the better team on the day.

Far from a complete performance in the final. First 20 minutes were magical by the forwards. Defensively two very soft goals. Sloppy scores given away for picking the ball off the ground and 3 catches. Struggled badly for the 10 mins before and after half time. If Moran had scored the easy point to put them two points up, it would have made things difficult.

The point being, there could be still room for improvement in this Galway team especially if one or two quality additional defenders could be added to what's there.

djPSB wrote: »
    May sound strange but I don't think the Galway team even hit its peak this year. Probably didn't put a complete 70 minute performance together apart from the League Final against Tipp.

First half of Leinster Final was sluggish enough followed by a very efficient second half display.

Don't think they ever hit full flow against Tipp in the semi final, that result could have easily gone the other way. Canning wonder point to get over the line. Although most would agree that Galway were the better team on the day.

Far from a complete performance in the final. First 20 minutes were magical by the forwards. Defensively two very soft goals. Sloppy scores given away for picking the ball off the ground and 3 catches. Struggled badly for the 10 mins before and after half time. If Moran had scored the easy point to put them two points up, it would have made things difficult.

The point being, there could be still room for improvement in this Galway team especially if one or two quality additional defenders could be added to what's there.

I said the exact same thing after every game had a number of Wexford and Waterford fans saying it was B.S but hey all that matters is we have the All Ireland in the west. Noticed this year every goal we conceded was sloppy and came from obvious mistakes some unforced.
    Hopefully Kileen is back next year and loftus steps up to mark, will give us a strong choice of defenders.
    Wonder will Callanan stay on, he is 35 after all.

• Advertisement

leestone wrote: »
    I said the exact same thing after every game had a number of Wexford and Waterford fans saying it was B.S but hey all that matters is we have the All Ireland in the west. Noticed this year every goal we conceded was sloppy and came from obvious mistakes some unforced.
    Hopefully Kileen is back next year and loftus steps up to mark, will give us a strong choice of defenders.

Callanan is a fitness fanatic. I'd say he'll stay on as there's no reason why Galway won't be there or thereabouts in the semi-finals again next year. That said it was probably his poorest season in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I'm not sure on Killeen a lack of pace would be my concern and the likes of croke park would expose it.

Callanan is a fitness fanatic. I'd say he'll stay on as there's no reason why Galway won't be there or thereabouts in the semi-finals again next year. That said it was probably his poorest season in a while.

Thought Callanan was excellent apart from the soft goal in the final.

Some excellent saves against Tipp.

Great save from a penalty against Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Yes, but that will probably cost him the all-star

Some excellent saves against Tipp.

Great save from a penalty against Wexford.

Two soft goals in the final covered his angles bad for the first goal was two far off his line. Still don't think he will get an all star even he was superb all year Stephen O Keeffe seems to be looking good for it.

Two soft goals in the final covered his angles bad for the first goal was two far off his line. Still don't think he will get an all star even he was superb all year Stephen O Keeffe seems to be looking good for it.

Not saying he should get the All Star. Poster above was suggesting he might retire as it was his 'poorest season in a while'. Just saying he had a good season overall.

Wasn't much he could have done for Moran's goal. Yes it was the near side but it was still very well placed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Bad mistake for John Mcgraths goal in the semi final as well.

Bad mistake for John Mcgraths goal in the semi final as well.

It was. Miscontrolled a mishít shot from Seamus Callanan.

It was Colm Callanan's poorest season in a while because of those mistakes in the semi-final and final. Usually he doesn't make any mistakes. Made some big saves as well but you have to factor in the errors.

It was. Miscontrolled a mishít shot from Seamus Callanan.

It was Colm Callanan's poorest season in a while because of those mistakes in the semi-final and final. Usually he doesn't make any mistakes. Made some big saves as well but you have to factor in the errors.

Yes true but don't think Skehill would have done better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Yes true but don't think Skehill would have done better

Yeah, Skehill is a bit erratic, I dont really trust him.

Only for Colm Callanans 2 saves in the semi's (from S callanan in first half and I think Noel McGrath in the 2nd half) I honestly dont think we would have beaten tipp.

• Advertisement

If Galway had a Damien Hayes type player now( goals) they would hammer teams.

If Galway had a Damien Hayes type player now( goals) they would hammer teams.

Or Joe Rabbittee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

One thing I did expect no matter which team won the final was a massive pitch invasion at the end given the 'droughts' that both counties have gone through......I was dead sure we would see 'plan B' flashed up on the big screen by the ck park officials with thousands of maroon or blue and white jerseys poring onto the pitch.....instead it looked like a polite request over the PA requesting 'patrons' not to enter the pitch along with a one person deep perimeter of 'mayors' in high via jackets was all that was required to deter what had to have been a massive pent up emotion and desire by the fans to stream on to the pitch.....it seems to be that only the northern teams, Tyrone being the lst that I can recall that have the power to invoke a 'plan b' response....!

Road-Hog wrote: »
    One thing I did expect no matter which team won the final was a massive pitch invasion at the end given the 'droughts' that both counties have gone through......I was dead sure we would see 'plan B' flashed up on the big screen by the ck park officials with thousands of maroon or blue and white jerseys poring onto the pitch.....instead it looked like a polite request over the PA requesting 'patrons' not to enter the pitch along with a one person deep perimeter of 'mayors' in high via jackets was all that was required to deter what had to have been a massive pent up emotion and desire by the fans to stream on to the pitch.....it seems to be that only the northern teams, Tyrone being the lst that I can recall that have the power to invoke a 'plan b' response....!

The last team to invade the pitch if i recall was Kilkenny in 2009 after completing the four in a row and to be honest the carry on of some of the louts streaming down from the terrace was shameful. The same goons probably weren't at a match all year. i can imagine happens with every county to a certain degree in case anyone thinks i am singling out Kilkenny.

I can only imagine that this incident was the straw the broke the camels back. I like the fact that the players can enjoy the moment with their teammates and families to be honest and that they can bring their children onto the field or whatever the case may be.

This excuse of it being a display of raw emotion from supporters is a load of shíte. And from a security point of view its probably a no go now more than ever. Plus Ive heard of players on the losing teams having to put up with allsorts (nipple cripples or what have you) from gobsh1tes. I see nothing wrong with celebrating from the stand. Perhaps they should bring back the on pitch presentation though so everyone can get a view of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Or Joe Rabbittee.

No. Don't recall Joe being a prolific goalscorer. Was a big strong man and a good target man with a great hand, but he was an ordinary enough hurler with a propensity occasionally for getting into 'mischief'. If he were playing today, he would probably get into the team instead of Glynn, but no-one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How's all ur livers up west ???

It still hurts here in Waterford but what can you do

Drink lots of water

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

As someone who is from Ballinasloe it is growing more towards hurling now fielding two adult teams while the footballers can't string even 10 lads for training together and just relegated back to junior only four years since winning the all Ireland junior club. Gaa in the town was a shambles when I was growing up keep harping on about tradition of 50 years ago. But thankfully some good people running things now but change is slow.

I'm from near the area myself, never could understand why Ballinasloe GAA (football moreso than hurling) can't manage to field strong teams, given relatively large population. Any particular reason a town like them are at such a low standard in both codes at adult level?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It was. Miscontrolled a mishshot from Seamus Callanan.

I think it's harsh that some people are blaming him for Kevin Moran's goal, that was drilled low and hard into the corner and not many goalies would have saved it. He blundered for the second goal alright but he's still the best option we have in that position and I'd be in no hurry to get rid of him. He does alot more good things than bad and his save from John O'Dwyer was crucial as a goal for Tipp at that stage could have swung it Tipp's way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I think it's harsh that some people are blaming him for Kevin Moran's goal, that was drilled low and hard into the corner and not many goalies would have saved it. He blundered for the second goal alright but he's still the best option we have in that position and I'd be in no hurry to get rid of him. He does alot more good things than bad and his save from John O'Dwyer was crucial as a goal for Tipp at that stage could have swung it Tipp's way.

I'd be blaming the backs moreso for the amount of space, and you could also fault Tuohy for the second goal. A foward should not be able to get two yards away from goal and behind the back under a dropping ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Canning up against 2 Waterford players for POTY. Definitely think David Burke had a biggee year tbh and Mc is probably the best we had. The chances of Waterford winning POTY two years in a row without winning a final is gas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement