Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭threeball

weshtawake wrote: »
    Must compliment the Waterford supporters/players for being so magnanimous on Sunday adding to a great post-match atmosphere.
    I remember 2012 when all that was left when KK got the cup were the team and a few seagulls - most KK supporters were halfway home. Familiarity breeds contempt indeed!!!

Its not something that anyone from a regularly successful county will appreciate but winning one after such a wait is many times in magnitude the joy of winning one after 3,4,5 years.
    I experienced it in 98 with our footballers and 2001 wasn't a patch on it mostly due to the fact we'd recently won it.
    Sunday was similar and if we won it again next year it wouldn't feel anything like this year.
    KK fans would be better off not winning it for a few years as winning it over and over it just becomes almost routine and expected and the unbridled joy you would see from a Galway, Waterford, Mayo etc. is something they never get to experience.

You even see the Dublin fans in the football now that have become so certain of victory that it has robbed them of the joy of overcoming the odds or even the uncertainty of whether you will get across the line or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 James lakes

MfMan wrote: »
    I didn't say anything about him staying in the job forever.

I'm not sure what soccer has to do with it.

I don't see why anyone would stage a coup against him. He's a god down there... - It makes no sense...

Why would Cody go when the team still plays for him? And, he still wants to do it?

Galway lads win one All-Ireland in 30 years and suddenly they know what Brian Cody should be doing!!! Come on!
    He has guided KK to what? 8 out of the last 12 All-Irelands? 2 out of the last 4? And has 11 titles as a manager in total...

Now, maybe, if he has gone 5 or 6 years without a title they would start grumbling in KK - otherwise, can't see it...

I'm not disparaging his record, and what we've just won has no bearing on it. (You didn't grumble when I said Tipp would be resurgent next year.)

I'm suggesting maybe the players might eventually get tired of his methods and his ruthlessness. See the extract where the KK intermediate captain was brought onto the Senior panel, thus missing out on the chance to lead that team to an All-Ireland win, trained hard but was let go the following winter without a word of explanation. His own club were furious about it. Cody mightn't be universally liked down there, something that can eventually breed discontent and rebellion, particularly if next year is also fallow. It's only natural that people like to be respected and be seen to be respected; a lack of it could ultimately lead to the players downing tools or not giving it their all. That's what happened to Anthony Cunningham.
    The  player  in  question  got  every  chance  to  prove  himself  he  was  got  a  job  by  the  county  board  stayed  in  it  three  weeks, he  was  impossible  to  manage  even  Cody  couldn't  manage  him, His  club  were  not  unhappy  about  him  not  captaining  the  intermediate   team  because  a  player  that  gave  everything  to  the  club  got  the  chance  I  know  because   I  am  from  his  club. Gordon  Ryan  was  the  only  man  got  Guinan  fit  and  he  found  it  hard  going .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

threeball wrote: »
    KK fans would be better off not winning it for a few years as winning it over and over it just becomes almost routine and expected and the unbridled joy you would see from a Galway, Waterford, Mayo etc.

I was just saying that as i was sat at home watching the build up, and the match last Sunday.
    As a KK supporter, i was watching the pure joy/anxiety/trepidation/excitement in both sets of supporters , and i was thinking, We have it too good.
    Have (had?) we taken winning the All Ireland for granted? Had we forgotten just how much it means ? Had we just become blasé about it?
    Maybe we had. But just watching the match and the reaction of both sets of players and supporters after the match had ended really showed me that , yes i think Kilkenny had.
    The last time i felt what Galway displayed was when we beat Tipp in 2011, and before that when we beat Cork in 2006 to stop them winning 3 in a row. Not even the hammering of Waterford in 2008 was enjoyable ! (well maybe a little bit ;) )
    So i think Kilkennys little run of not winning it will do the hurlers, and supporters no harm. It will probably instill that little extra bit of hunger and desire that is needed to win it.
    Roll on the Championship 2018 !!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

greenspurs wrote: »
    I was just saying that as i was sat at home watching the build up, and the match last Sunday.
    As a KK supporter, i was watching the pure joy/anxiety/trepidation/excitement in both sets of supporters , and i was thinking, We have it too good.
    Have (had?) we taken winning the All Ireland for granted? Had we forgotten just how much it means ? Had we just become blasé about it?
    Maybe we had. But just watching the match and the reaction of both sets of players and supporters after the match had ended really showed me that , yes i think Kilkenny had.
    The last time i felt what Galway displayed was when we beat Tipp in 2011, and before that when we beat Cork in 2006 to stop them winning 3 in a row. Not even the hammering of Waterford in 2008 was enjoyable ! (well maybe a little bit ;) )
    So i think Kilkennys little run of not winning it will do the hurlers, and supporters no harm. It will probably instill that little extra bit of hunger and desire that is needed to win it.
    Roll on the Championship 2018 !!!

I would fully agree with all of the above, however, the year I felt the kk supporters got close to Galway on Sunday was in 2000 when ye beat Offaly, understandable too having lost in 98 and 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭MfMan

The  player  in  question  got  every  chance  to  prove  himself  he  was  got  a  job  by  the  county  board  stayed  in  it  three  weeks, he  was  impossible  to  manage  even  Cody  couldn't  manage  him, His  club  were  not  unhappy  about  him  not  captaining  the  intermediate   team  because  a  player  that  gave  everything  to  the  club  got  the  chance  I  know  because   I  am  from  his  club. Gordon  Ryan  was  the  only  man  got  Guinan  fit  and  he  found  it  hard  going .

I see. Tyrell seemed to put a slightly different slant on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭kala85

Does anyone have any information on the fundraiser that Galway gaa ran in the Loughrea Hotel before the All ireland.

Apparently all who attended the function got match tickets. Just wondering if there was any information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,337 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway squad bringing Liam and being introduced to the crowd at the Connacht rugby game on Saturday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 James lakes

MfMan wrote: »

I see. Tyrell seemed to put a slightly different slant on it.
    Do papers refuse ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

kala85 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any information on the fundraiser that Galway gaa ran in the Loughrea Hotel before the All ireland.

Apparently all who attended the function got match tickets. Just wondering if there was any information on it.

Ye I was at it great night each table was paid for by a company it was MCed by Marty Morrissy and Sean Walsh panel on stage was Cyrill Farrell Michael Duignan and John Connelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭kala85

Ye I was at it great night each table was paid for by a company it was MCed by Marty Morrissy and Sean Walsh panel on stage was Cyrill Farrell Michael Duignan and John Connelly

How much did a table cost.

When was it on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

kala85 wrote: »
    How much did a table cost.

When was it on ?

Table cost €2,500 I think with 10 seats at the table. Apparently got AI tickets too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Well written piece by Anthony Cunningham in today's indo has carried himself with great dignity since the heave against him.
    He did plenty of the hard work to get the team to were it is,Michael Donoghue gave it that extra to get over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I said wrote: »
    Well written piece by Anthony Cunningham in today's indo has carried himself with great dignity since the heave against him.
    He did plenty of the hard work to get the team to were it is,Michael Donoghue gave it that extra to get over the line.

Link?

Link?

Paper version haven't seen it online yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭cosatron

grbear wrote: »
    he didn't mention the mutineers in past players who didn't win the all Ireland, Collins, Moore and Andy Smyth

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

cosatron wrote: »
    he didn't mention the mutineers in past players who didn't win the all Ireland, Collins, Moore and Andy Smyth

Says it all really. Didn't micheal donoghue leave tannian, Collins, smith, Moore and donnellan in his panel for year 1 and then drop them all but bring donnellan back in?
    Cunningham may as well have named the ring leaders there and then as Collins, Moore and smith.

I thought during the summer Moore would be a decent sub seeing as experienced cornerbacks aren't plentiful on the panel since Killeens injury.
    Did MD think they had too much clout in the dressing room and get rid of them too for that reason.

Would be ironic if their actions lead to the change of management they wanted, but those same actions were the reason they got ousted from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭cosatron

jam83 wrote: »
    Says it all really. Didn't micheal donoghue leave tannian, Collins, smith, Moore and donnellan in his panel for year 1 and then drop them all but bring donnellan back in?
    Cunningham may as well have named the ring leaders there and then as Collins, Moore and smith.

I thought during the summer Moore would be a decent sub seeing as experienced cornerbacks aren't plentiful on the panel since Killeens injury.
    Did MD think they had too much clout in the dressing room and get rid of them too for that reason.

Would be ironic if their actions lead to the change of management they wanted, but those same actions were the reason they got ousted from the panel.

Yea Moore and collins must be sickened. To be honest MD was right to make the cull as they were finished and I think a few more will be culled this winter namely Donnellan, Ronan Burke, Greg lally, Davy glennon.

Yea Moore and collins must be sickened. To be honest MD was right to make the cull as they were finished and I think a few more will be culled this winter namely Donnellan, Ronan Burke, Greg lally, Davy glennon.

It must be hard for lads like that who are dropped in the year a team wins the all ireland. It's the kind of thing that could eat away at you for the rest of your life.
    Devoting your life to Galway hurling since your mid teens, knowing that you will probably only get another year at intercounty level due to your age, they'd probably have done anything to stay on the panel, but they were dropped for that one year and Galway went on to win the big one.
    Other lads like Damien Hayes walked away on their own terms so Galway winning this year is easier to accept for him.
    Then again donoghue must have felt undermined to show the door to so many senior lads in one go. So they probably only have themselves to blame.

• Advertisement

Two definitely,one had to go with the others when the cull came age was the reason for them to go so a few were collateral damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think one other got the callback but he turned it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Can't see any of those players bar Donellan being let go,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Robson99

Tannian is the most I'dfeel sorry for. Still think he would have been good back up for the defrnce

Robson99 wrote: »
    Tannian is the most I'dfeel sorry for. Still think he would have been good back up for the defrnce

He was an awful man for over the shoulder clearances down the field to nobody n particular. Would MD have been able to eradicate it? Suppose he would have alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

jam83 wrote: »
    He was an awful man for over the shoulder clearances down the field to nobody n particular. Would MD have been able to eradicate it? Suppose he would have alright.

Tanny made few mistakes in the semi against Tipp in 2010 which Galway narrowly lost. Still nice to see Galway building up over the years and finally winning the big one in 2017. Super team and delighted for them. Truly deserved and long time coming for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,180 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How's all ur livers up west ???

It still hurts here in Waterford but what can you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How's all the livers up west ???

It still hurts here in Waterford but what can you do

Getting back to normal somewhat cup is still only making it to players clubs so it will be sometime before it gets back to my club.
    We know the pain and the long winter it's not easy at all.
    If you can add some more scoring power I think you have a right good chance to be back in it.
    I use instagram a lot noticed the Waterford players seemed to have a right good week on the sauce ended up in Limerick on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 38,180 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

leestone wrote: »
    Getting back to normal somewhat cup is still only making it to players clubs so it will be sometime before it gets back to my club.
    We know the pain and the long winter it's not easy at all.
    If you can add some more scoring power I think you have a right good chance to be back in it.
    I use instagram a lot noticed the Waterford players seemed to have a right good week on the sauce ended up in Limerick on Thursday

Yeah I think they have been on the piss every night since the final

Yeah the winter is going to be hard but the more i think out about it I'm still very happy at getting to the final as I didn't think we would going by our form in the league and after the cork loss in Munster. Sure we will have a good Christmas down in Waterford while looking back proudly at our year. I'm sure lots of alcohol will be drank in Galway over the winter

Not going too be easy next year as other teams like Tipp, Cork, Clare, Kilkenny will be back and A few more are improving but experience we got this year will help us. Experience got ye over the line eventually. Only in GAA the champions are not in the top league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Looking for a bit of info here on Galway clubs and regions. Ballinasloe is it a football region or hurling. Name of the club. Sarsfields is where? Club of Connemara? What are Tuam all stars like now? Is galway city football or hurling region? Is the standard strong there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement