Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

The hurling teams have done their bit, now its time the county boards step up to the mark and push both football and hurling forward with the facilities and backing they deserve from underage development teams up.

Its time to sell Pearse stadium and cash in on the value of this property. Players deserve better than playing in a lottery every day they take the field.

The proceeds should be used to build a new 10-15k high quality stadium in Athenry with a pitch the same dimensions and surface type as croke park. Playing in croke park should be second nature to our players and knowing a surface intimately gives you an advantage. Athenry is ideal for both football and hurling given the new road infrastructure and a good quality stadium will see a consistent strong following for both teams.

There would be around 10 to 15 million left in reserve for our cash strapped county boards to invest in both our games and any improvement in success will bring increased funds and more kids wanting to play the games.

Unfortunately as a poster mentioned above I think the county boards won't admit how big a disaster Pearse is (met a good few people today who turned round as traffic to the celebrations last night was chronic). Its also likely as we've seen before that they'll bask in the glory of this one and let an amazing opportunity slip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

threeball wrote: »
    The hurling teams have done their bit, now its time the county boards step up to the mark and push both football and hurling forward with the facilities and backing they deserve from underage development teams up.

Its time to sell Pearse stadium and cash in on the value of this property. Players deserve better than playing in a lottery every day they take the field.

The proceeds should be used to build a new 10-15k high quality stadium in Athenry with a pitch the same dimensions and surface type as croke park. Playing in croke park should be second nature to our players and knowing a surface intimately gives you an advantage. Athenry is ideal for both football and hurling given the new road infrastructure and a good quality stadium will see a consistent strong following for both teams.

There would be around 10 to 15 million left in reserve for our cash strapped county boards to invest in both our games and any improvement in success will bring increased funds and more kids wanting to play the games.

Unfortunately as a poster mentioned above I think the county boards won't admit how big a disaster Pearse is (met a good few people today who turned round as traffic to the celebrations last night was chronic). Its also likely as we've seen before that they'll bask in the glory of this one and let an amazing opportunity slip.

How much is Pearse Stadium worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭weshtawake

Well said re Pearse Stadium.
    I was unfortunate to be coming from the East side of the city around 4 yesterday and thought I had plenty of time for the Stadium but I hadn't reckoned on the stupid lights at the Shopping Centre junction malfunctioning and only letting 3 cars through before turning red again resulting in bedlam!!!
    How come traffic during race week is managed so efficiently with a huge posse of Gardaí about and an occasion such as this where there was bound to be huge interest and no bright spark in authority would take initiative and ensure a smooth traffic plan??

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Spot on with that. Athenry could have done with the business yesterday too just as a separate thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Well done Galway - delighted that yee got yere hands on Liam finally !!
    My first All Ireland Final was the 87 Final and yee beat us (Kilkenny) that day.

P.S the song playing when the Waterford (finally) arrived in Waterford last night was a Sawdoctors song !! :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Well done Galway - delighted that yee got yere hands on Liam finally !!
    My first All Ireland Final was the 87 Final and yee beat us (Kilkenny) that day.

P.S the song playing when the Waterford (finally) arrived in Waterford last night was a Sawdoctors song !! :D

To win just once, I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Whats the story with the game that is meant to be on in Athenry on Thursday. Was mentioned on Galway Bay FM Monday morning but nothing further since. Has that game fallen through?

Whats the story with the game that is meant to be on in Athenry on Thursday. Was mentioned on Galway Bay FM Monday morning but nothing further since. Has that game fallen through?

I went looking for information this morning myself.

Donohue mentioned it at the homecoming but he was talking too low into the microphone so it was hard to hear anything bar "not the last time you'll see this team...Thurday.. Keady family".

Pretty dire they couldn't update the site(I checked the official site, Hoganstand and hurling forum this morning and nothing on it) or something last night given the short period to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

I went looking for information this morning myself.

Donohue mentioned it at the homecoming but he was talking too low into the microphone so it was hard to hear anything bar "not the last time you'll see this team...Thurday.. Keady family".

Pretty dire they couldn't update the site(I checked the official site, Hoganstand and hurling forum this morning and nothing on it) or something last night given the short period to it.

Pretty sure they said it's on Thursday in Athenry. Couldn't hear if it's Kinvara or Killimor Daly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 James lakes

Where  would  it  be  possible  to  contribute  to  the  Keady   family  I  know  there  is  a  fundraiser  in  motion  is  it  set  up  yet. Big  win   on  Sunday   shouldn't  have  been  as  close  as  it  was  way  the  better  team.  If  somebody  could  send  on  details  where  that  fundraiser  is  set  up  would  be  appreciated  as  I  would  like  to  give  a  little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Where  would  it  be  possible  to  contribute  to  the  Keady   family  I  know  there  is  a  fundraiser  in  motion  is  it  set  up  yet. Big  win   on  Sunday   shouldn't  have  been  as  close  as  it  was  way  the  better  team.  If  somebody  could  send  on  details  where  that  fundraiser  is  set  up  would  be  appreciated  as  I  would  like  to  give  a  little.

Match is in Kenny Park, Athenry on Thursday night.

Online donations can be made here

https://www.gofundme.com/tony-keady-family-fund

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

I know it sounds crazy but IF Pearse stadium was sold and they moved to Athenry or Duggan Park in Ballinasloe,
    Would it be possible engineering construction wise etc to bring the stand terraces etc i.e dismantle and reuse in a new stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

leestone wrote: »
    I know it sounds crazy but IF Pearse stadium was sold and they moved to Athenry or Duggan Park in Ballinasloe,
    Would it be possible engineering construction wise etc to bring the stand terraces etc i.e dismantle and reuse in a new stadium?

Why would they go to ballinalsoe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Why would they go to ballinalsoe?

Duggan has the best pitch in the county has a limestone base,
    loads of proper match day parking for thousands of cars literally from the fair green, mart, Garbally college, the square etc, all within very short walking distance. Also has tv quality mach floodlights Athenry and Tuam don't. Walking distance to train station.Bus routes pass by its door. In the middle of the town near bars and food etc.
    Closer to other counties.

Just the few reasons why I thought the Duggan would be a good choice.
    Its main disadvantage is its too far for people from west Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭maroondog

Athenry cant be expanded Id say to extent that it could be a main County ground for hurling. It has very limited space available build a bigger Stadium and it would likely need additional land on one side at least to make it a decent side Stadium of min 15K (which would be the very minimum needed).

A very new car park has been built by County Council along the town side of the pitch. It would cost money the Galway GAA dont have to buy this and expand the ground which is on a fairly narrow site. The other side of the pitch has an even bigger problem, the old Town Wall runs very tightly along behind the Stand. The Stand there is small enough and would be replaced by a significantly bigger stand you'd assume. If they were to try expand it this into a 15K+ odd side stadium at a minimum they'd need to build a Stand of 8K maybe and I cant see this being possibly without knocking the Town Wall. As we know from the all the objections with the Outer By Pass routes over the years, any plan to knock that Wall would be met with a load of objections you'd think.

It would be great if they could expand Kenny Park cos Pearse Stadium is a disaster to get to but I just dont see that there is a site big enough like in Salthill to build a decent sized Stadium out in Athenry.

Duggan has the best pitch in the county has a limestone base,
    loads of proper match day parking for thousands of cars literally from the fair green, mart, Garbally college, the square etc, all within very short walking distance. Also has tv quality mach floodlights Athenry and Tuam don't. Walking distance to train station.Bus routes pass by its door. In the middle of the town near bars and food etc.
    Closer to other counties.

Just the few reasons why I thought the Duggan would be a good choice.
    Its main disadvantage is its too far for people from west Galway.

Kenny is not good enough as it stands. My suggestion was that we emulate the croke park pitch then build a 15k stadium round it. Full seating on both sides, roofed all round and with terraces on the ends.
    The seating and barriers from Pearse could be reused.
    Back in the mid 2000's there were developers looking to purchase Pearse for around 30 million and we're nearly back to that now. Connaught Rugby need a suitable home also.

All the other amenities you mention are in Athenry and if in Athenry 90% of the population of the county would be within 25mins drive.

Something like this would be ideal and the atmosphere even at club finals would be electric.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Benteler-Arena_Paderborn_von_oben_2015.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Congratulations worthy All Ireland champions!

I was devastated as a Waterford supporter in 2008 - but this time around I was not at all even leaving Croke Park.

This was due to the fact that we put up a good fight against what was clearly a better team... and also because it was Galway, thank god it was Galway and not anyone else.

Many of us from Waterford of my vintage (born in the very late 70's) had our first heroes from Galway, Waterford were nowhere - of course our heroes came for the underdog who took on the big boys and won.

Joe Conney, Finnerty, Sylvie, The great Tony Keady, Pete Finnerty - I can remember running out at half time in the 88 final to hit ball and pretend to be them all.

since 1988 Galway have had so many underage victories, so many senior heartbreaks, it was simply yer time and ye deserved it more than us.

maroondog wrote: »
    Athenry cant be expanded Id say to extent that it could be a main County ground for hurling. It has very limited space available build a bigger Stadium and it would likely need additional land on one side at least to make it a decent side Stadium of min 15K (which would be the very minimum needed).

A very new car park has been built by County Council along the town side of the pitch. It would cost money the Galway GAA dont have to buy this and expand the ground which is on a fairly narrow site. The other side of the pitch has an even bigger problem, the old Town Wall runs very tightly along behind the Stand. The Stand there is small enough and would be replaced by a significantly bigger stand you'd assume. If they were to try expand it this into a 15K+ odd side stadium at a minimum they'd need to build a Stand of 8K maybe and I cant see this being possibly without knocking the Town Wall. As we know from the all the objections with the Outer By Pass routes over the years, any plan to knock that Wall would be met with a load of objections you'd think.

It would be great if they could expand Kenny Park cos Pearse Stadium is a disaster to get to but I just dont see that there is a site big enough like in Salthill to build a decent sized Stadium out in Athenry.

Just looked at Google earth there and there is plenty of room to fit a 15k stadium and 15k should be the absolute max. Its time to stop spending millions extra on stadia that are full once every two years if you're lucky.

Theres also a huge area to the rear that could accommodate another huge car park that would go close to catering for the entire crowd on matchday along with existing parking in the town.

JesusRef wrote: »

I was devastated as a Waterford supporter in 2008 - but this time around I was not at all even leaving Croke Park.

This was due to the fact that we put up a good fight against what was clearly a better team... and also because it was Galway, thank god it was Galway and not anyone else.

Many of us from Waterford of my vintage (born in the very late 70's) had our first heroes from Galway, Waterford were nowhere - of course our heroes came for the underdog who took on the big boys and won.

Joe Conney, Finnerty, Sylvie, The great Tony Keady, Pete Finnerty - I can remember running out at half time in the 88 final to hit ball and pretend to be them all.

since 1988 Galway have had so many underage victories, so many senior heartbreaks, it was simply yer time and ye deserved it more than us.

The Waterford fans deserve great credit for hanging on for their team after the final whistle. I've never seen a county do that in such numbers before. I hope we do it in future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Just looked at Google earth there and there is plenty of room to fit a 15k stadium and 15k should be the absolute max. Its time to stop spending millions extra on stadia that are full once every two years if you're lucky.

Theres also a huge area to the rear that could accommodate another huge car park that would go close to catering for the entire crowd on matchday along with existing parking in the town.

You're right. In terms of league games, county finals and maybe a few qualifier games (football or hurling) a 15K stadium is big enough. There's too much of an obsession with big capacities that simply aren't needed 99% of the time.

McHale Park can now hold 38,000 but even a Galway - Mayo Connaught Final wouldn't usually get more than around 25,000 so it's a capacity that will never be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

JesusRef wrote: »

There wasn't one gripe, or begrudgery or grumble about the ref from any of the Deise fans I met afterwards, despite being visibly devastated. Took it on the chin and stood tall. I hope they experience the other side of the coin in the near future.

That said though, I think Waterford will have to find a few new players, forwards in particular, to get them that extra step. The likes of Patrick Curran, Dunford, Halloran will be a year older and stronger next year, (will Devine be back? only one to really trouble Daithi Burke this year), but Brick Walsh may step away, Kevin Moran has huge mileage up while Jake Dillon isn't hectic.

There's no guarantee that Waterford will return to the summit so easy in 2018. In reality, Tipp' were our closest challengers this year and they will be resurgent next year, while I expect Cork to also improve incrementally. Wexford *may* push on a bit as well if Davy stays while Clare may hurl their way out of their post-2103 torpor.

KK will I think be interesting. The top quality replacements aren't yet coming through to supplement the already aging stalwarts. Tyrell's book extracts on Sunday shone more light on Dear Brother Cody's regime and it's totalitarianism. Would the time ever come that the players stage a coup and decide that they would like a new voice in charge, (particularly when they see how it ultimately worked for Galway)? Just have a hunch that they may be getting tired of his dictatorial methods and be glad of a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

MfMan wrote: »
    There wasn't one gripe, or begrudgery or grumble about the ref from any of the Deise fans I met afterwards, despite being visibly devastated. Took it on the chin and stood tall. I hope they experience the other side of the coin in the near future.

That said though, I think Waterford will have to find a few new players, forwards in particular, to get them that extra step. The likes of Patrick Curran, Dunford, Halloran will be a year older and stronger next year, (will Devine be back? only one to really trouble Daithi Burke this year), but Brick Walsh may step away, Kevin Moran has huge mileage up while Jake Dillon isn't hectic.

There's no guarantee that Waterford will return to the summit so easy in 2018. In reality, Tipp' were our closest challengers this year and they will be resurgent next year, while I expect Cork to also improve incrementally. Wexford *may* push on a bit as well if Davy stays while Clare may hurl their way out of their post-2103 torpor.

KK will I think be interesting. The top quality replacements aren't yet coming through to supplement the already aging stalwarts. Tyrell's book extracts on Sunday shone more light on Dear Brother Cody's regime and it's totalitarianism. Would the time ever come that the players stage a coup and decide that they would like a new voice in charge, (particularly when they see how it ultimately worked for Galway)? Just have a hunch that they may be getting tired of his dictatorial methods and be glad of a change.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0705/888107-kilkenny/

(Galway minors just about pipped Kilkenny)

Underage success never guarantees senior success. But, I would say the Kilkenny under age set up is the best for producing senior talent for the last two decades or more.

I think we're all hoping Kilkenny's dominance is over for a while. But, they are still a top contender. Waterford had to go to extra time...against a KK side looking tired and out of form... They're still so hard to beat even in transition...

Why would anyone stage a coup against the best hurling manager ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Just have a hunch that they may be getting tired of his dictatorial methods and be glad of a change.

I have a hunch that, youre dreaming !! Most probably wishing !! :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Underage success never guarantees senior success. But, I would say the Kilkenny under age set up is the best for producing senior talent for the last two decades or more.

I think we're all hoping Kilkenny's dominance is over for a while. But, they are still a top contender. Waterford had to go to extra time...against a KK side looking tired and out of form... They're still so hard to beat even in transition...

I think Cork or Tipp, counties that have beaten KK more regularly than Waterford, would have beaten them more easily; you have to factor in the fear/Mount Everest element a bit in the Deise's victory.

Why would anyone stage a coup against Kim Jong-un? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

There wasn't one gripe, or begrudgery or grumble about the ref from any of the Deise fans I met afterwards

They had no reason to grumble about the ref though as there has been widespread consensus that he did a pretty good job and let the game flow for both teams.

That said though, I think Waterford will have to find a few new players, forwards in particular, to get them that extra step.

There's no doubt they'll need another forward or two. We could afford to leave Niall Burke and Jason Flynn on the bench on Sunday and both of them would be definite starters for Waterford, while Shane Maloney might too. Even among the forwards they have there's a lack of real match-winners, there's no one forward that you'd be particularly frightened of.

Just because he has had great success in the past doesn't automatically mean you should leave him there forever. We've seen many examples of managers staying in the job too long, not just in GAA but soccer aswell.

Cody has been there a very long time now and with the team in transition and new players coming through it might be no harm to hand the reins to someone else. Cody has had a very good innings and his place in Kilkenny hurling folklore is assured, but I felt he should probably have gone after last year's final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

aidan24326 wrote: »

Just because he has had great success in the past doesn't automatically mean you should leave him there forever. We've seen many examples of managers staying in the job too long, not just in GAA but soccer aswell.

Cody has been there a very long time now and with the team in transition and new players coming through it might be no harm to hand the reins to someone else. Cody has had a very good innings and his place in Kilkenny hurling folklore is assured, but I felt he should probably have gone after last year's final.

I didn't say anything about him staying in the job forever.

I'm not sure what soccer has to do with it.

I don't see why anyone would stage a coup against him. He's a god down there... - It makes no sense...

Why would Cody go when the team still plays for him? And, he still wants to do it?

Galway lads win one All-Ireland in 30 years and suddenly they know what Brian Cody should be doing!!! Come on!
    He has guided KK to what? 8 out of the last 12 All-Irelands? 2 out of the last 4? And has 11 titles as a manager in total...

Now, maybe, if he has gone 5 or 6 years without a title they would start grumbling in KK - otherwise, can't see it...

Kk had the perfect storm. Huge men who could hurl. Its hard to defeat a team with those attributes just look at Galway.

County boards need to make sure they are putting proper strength and conditioning programmes in place for development teams from 14 up. Starting at 18 and 19 is too late, then they try to cram in too much and get injured.

This is why i want to see Pearse sold so we can have the funds to invest in our youth at club and county. Having lads training teams and putting weights programme's together and calling it s&c is destroying good young players

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭weshtawake

Must compliment the Waterford supporters/players for being so magnanimous on Sunday adding to a great post-match atmosphere.
    I remember 2012 when all that was left when KK got the cup were the team and a few seagulls - most KK supporters were halfway home. Familiarity breeds contempt indeed!!!

I didn't say anything about him staying in the job forever.

I'm not sure what soccer has to do with it.

I don't see why anyone would stage a coup against him. He's a god down there... - It makes no sense...

Why would Cody go when the team still plays for him? And, he still wants to do it?

Galway lads win one All-Ireland in 30 years and suddenly they know what Brian Cody should be doing!!! Come on!
    He has guided KK to what? 8 out of the last 12 All-Irelands? 2 out of the last 4? And has 11 titles as a manager in total...

Now, maybe, if he has gone 5 or 6 years without a title they would start grumbling in KK - otherwise, can't see it...

I'm not disparaging his record, and what we've just won has no bearing on it. (You didn't grumble when I said Tipp would be resurgent next year.)

I'm suggesting maybe the players might eventually get tired of his methods and his ruthlessness. See the extract where the KK intermediate captain was brought onto the Senior panel, thus missing out on the chance to lead that team to an All-Ireland win, trained hard but was let go the following winter without a word of explanation. His own club were furious about it. Cody mightn't be universally liked down there, something that can eventually breed discontent and rebellion, particularly if next year is also fallow. It's only natural that people like to be respected and be seen to be respected; a lack of it could ultimately lead to the players downing tools or not giving it their all. That's what happened to Anthony Cunningham.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

weshtawake wrote: »
    Must compliment the Waterford supporters/players for being so magnanimous on Sunday adding to a great post-match atmosphere.
    I remember 2012 when all that was left when KK got the cup were the team and a few seagulls - most KK supporters were halfway home. Familiarity breeds contempt indeed!!!

I think Waterford are my new favourite hurling team and probably like Mayo in the football, the team every neutral now wants to see win an AI. Hopefully they go one better next year. Very hard to put back to back AI wins as Tipp found out, so Galway might struggle next year. KK still in transition, Wexford, Cork, Limerick, Clare, still probably short a few players. Waterfords main competition might be Tipperary next year, but there is no reason why they can't win Liam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement