Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

having problems connecting my phone to my computer,when I click on my computer and click on the phone icon it brings me into the folder section and when I click on the DCIM Folder I think it is,it just closes on me so I can't view the videos etc any advice

also then bluetooth isn't working my phone isn't picking up my laptop and my laptop isn't picking up my phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Georgiecasey,
    I may well have to get that offer. I think my battery is gone. It says on the bottom of that amazon page that the battery should get 500 recharge cycles. After a year of using the previous battery I would say its life is up. Can anyone tell me what the warranty is on the batteries in the S2 phones? Was your man in the shop fobbing me off until the year is up, when warranty on battery would be over.
    I have heard before though that the warranty on iphone battery is only 6 months so I would presume it would be the same with S2. Can you buy genuine replacement Samsung batteries? Where and how much? Do the vodafone shops sell them?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Georgiecasey,
    I may well have to get that offer. I think my battery is gone. It says on the bottom of that amazon page that the battery should get 500 recharge cycles. After a year of using the previous battery I would say its life is up. Can anyone tell me what the warranty is on the batteries in the S2 phones? Was your man in the shop fobbing me off until the year is up, when warranty on battery would be over.
    I have heard before though that the warranty on iphone battery is only 6 months so I would presume it would be the same with S2. Can you buy genuine replacement Samsung batteries? Where and how much? Do the vodafone shops sell them?

Thanks

But the iPhone battery can't be replaced, the S2 one can. There's no way the warranty on the whole Galaxy s2 is voided if you use a different battery! Sure just swap back in the old one when you're bringing it back to Vodafone if you want.

I'm sure you can get official Samsung batteries, but they're more expensive and less juice. There's some ones that look Samsung on Amazon but the reviews are very bad so could be fake. There's a lot of fake and/or **** batteries out there. The Anker link I posted is getting solid reviews on Amazon and XDA and me and a few other boardsies have had no problems with it.

How long have you being using the batteries?
    Is there any way to see why the battery is discharging so fast?
    I have uninstalled a few recent apps in case they are using up too much battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

How long have you being using the batteries?
    Is there any way to see why the battery is discharging so fast?
    I have uninstalled a few recent apps in case they are using up too much battery.

Stock or custom ROM?

If stock, go custom. It's got better performance. Try Darky or CyanoGen. Darky for the Samsung experience. CyanoGen for the AOSP experience.

But non drastic options...

Do you have WIFI, 3G Data, Bluetooth, GPS on all at the same time?

GPS is a drain, should only be on when you need location based info [nav, maps, etc]
    If WIFI is on, turn 3G data off and vice versa.

Try Llama from the store. Great little app. You can configure services based on [cell] location or date/time or both.

1. Auto turn WIFI on, 3G and Bluetooth off at home.
    2. Between 10pm and 7am, activate silent profile.
    3. At work, turn off WIFI, turn on 3G Data, turn on Bluetooth.
    4. Etc

Very good at squeezing more time out of your battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ok, tonights the night, its root o clock. Now, who wants to help me? the first guide I found, all the links are dead, and I'm wary of using random unvouched for stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

zuroph wrote: »
    ok, tonights the night, its root o clock. Now, who wants to help me? the first guide I found, all the links are dead, and I'm wary of using random unvouched for stuff...

There is a very straightforward way to Root if you are on ICS, if thats all you want, here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1501719

That forum is great for any ROM you might want to put on the phone too. Most ROMs have guides in the introduction to explain installation.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s2-i9100-root-xwlpg-android-4-0-3-firmware-clockworkmod-recovery-95533/ this is the guide I've started on, currently upgrading to ICS, so once I' get past root, I'll fancy a play with some roms

ok, rooted. ClockworkMod Recovery currently making a back up. what next???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Get Resurrection Remix - really quality ROM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Hey,

I had problems with my Galaxy S2 a few months ago where it was going haywire thinking it was charging when it wasn't, refusing to turn off, going into driving mode for no reason etc. I brought it to Fonemenders and they replaced the USB port and it was all fine. No charge as it was under warranty.

I'm getting similar problems now where it thinks it charging and also every minute a thing pops up saying "Charging paused - voltage too high". This is really annoying! Just wondering if I bring it to Fonemenders again will they fix it if still under warranty or can you only get it fixed once?

Why the hell is the USB port so sensitive! Would put me off getting another Samsung.

My phone seems to be back working again. I allowed the battery to drain fully and then charged it. I was told to download ICS but Im not keen on that as my phone is fine as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

My phone seems to be back working again. I allowed the battery to drain fully and then charged it. I was told to download ICS but Im not keen on that as my phone is fine as it is.
    You're right i upgraded and my battery is not half as good

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Mc Love wrote: »

i concur, flashed this last night and its well sweet!!! so much better than the nighly build i was using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

If I bend my phone ever so slightly or have it in my pocket it turns off. This is my third S2 now, I dont think they are a great phone..

wreckless wrote: »
    Mc Love wrote: »

i concur, flashed this last night and its well sweet!!! so much better than the nighly build i was using.
    Can you explain where to get it and how to flash it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

zuroph wrote: »
    Can you explain where to get it and how to flash it please?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1436854

That should tell you all you need to know zuroph

Has anyone found a way to silence calls when using RR? I used to be able to flip the phone over on stock, but this doesnt work any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 woley

Hey I am at a bit of a loss hoping someone can help...

I installed a custom ROM (Resurrection Remix and Cyangenmod 7.2) and it would not recognise my Meteor SIM.

I restored to the stock ICS on samfirmware but it is still not recognising my SIM, I know its not my sim as it is working in another S2 which is on stock gingerbread unrooted. Any ideas what I did wrong and I stupidly didn't back up?

I have tried multiple ROMs at this point with no success of getting my SIM working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

How do I actually go about getting ICS for my Galaxy S II?

I bought it unlocked from Vodafone using my Meteor card, when I go to Software update it never downloads anything.

Currently its running
    Android version

Would really appreicate any help in getting to ICS, without rooting, simply never doing that again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78810591&postcount=3802
    Or see page 254.

No root required.

TheDoc wrote: »
    How do I actually go about getting ICS for my Galaxy S II?

I bought it unlocked from Vodafone using my Meteor card, when I go to Software update it never downloads anything.

Currently its running
    Android version

Would really appreicate any help in getting to ICS, without rooting, simply never doing that again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

You don't need to root it, but it does make it easier.

You can try the Kies method (if you haven't done already)

1) Download Kies from samsung support website

2) Plug your phone into computer with kies on

3) Check for firmware updates - I think they usually automatically appear if available

I was going to give instructions now on how to do it via odin, but then I just remembered that their are some concerns with flashing stock kernels due to a bug so I won't recommend that, although I have not seen anyone here have a problem with this.

If the above instructions don't work you would need to root, then you could flash CM9 which is ICS and has a menu where you can switch root on/off

What was your problem with rooting

Thanks for the information guys, will try that when I get home.

Zagato I had a perfectly lovely HTC Desire until I rooted. Trying various ROM's (cywgin or something) would cause crashes and just all sorts of issues.

I then got a stable release and passed the phone to the girlfriend and unfortunately the mic on the phone broke and required a repair. This was to be in warranty, no problems. I was just told to put the original stock rom onto the phone or it won't be repaired once its hits the repair centre which was fair enough.

Six-eight months the phone has been on my desk, and the desk others trying to unroot. I had a thread here aswell where a few people PM'd me and two guys even came out to my house to try assist.

Phone simply wouldnt unroot, warranty passed and now I've had to pull in a favour to have to sent for repair with the current rom on it, and will probably have some hefty repair fee.

So simply put I'm not rooting again, I experienced very little benefit from it, and have absolutely zero need. Didnt even look into it when I got my Galaxy SII

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

any know how fast the wireless card is on the s2?

does it N routers and what speed i am likely to get?

Well tried using Kies

got the following after checking for upgrade, that doesn't seem right

Untitled1.jpg

Going to try this Odin thing, looks straight forward

So what appears to be an easy straightforward method of upgrade, again, as normal, gives me problems.

It is just stuck doing this.
    Phone is in download mode, even says " ODIN mode" on the phone.

Guides say I hould see a yellow bar over ID:COM, I dont see that,

Just this

Untitled2.jpg

Here what you need to do:
    1. Enable USB debugging from within your phone's settings. Go to Settings > Applications > Development, and tick the box that says 'Enable USB Debugging'.
    2. Run odin
    3. Switch off your phone
    4. Press the power, volume down and home buttons simultaneously.
    5. press the volume up button to continue
    6. Connect your phone to PC via USB cable
    7. Odin should detect and recognise the handset, and you'll see a filled-in yellow box where it says COM
    8. Select the downloaded file in PDA and hit the start button.
    9. After it finishes, disconnect and switch off the phone.
    10. Restart the phone in recovery mode
    11. Press and hold down Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time
    12. Select wipe data/factory reset. (Volume buttons to go up or down, select with Home button)
    13. Select Yes — delete all user data.
    14. Finally, select reboot system now.

I noticed that you have downloaded the meteor firmware provided in the earlier post.

I suggest to download the generic firmware for Ireland/UK which is not any network specific. Unless you want any network specific customizations.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9100&r=1#regiona
    I9100XEULP5

Direct download link:
    http://www.hotfile.com/dl/153177481/9861a3a/I9100XWLP7_I9100XEULP5_XEU.zip.html
    TheDoc wrote: »
    So what appears to be an easy straightforward method of upgrade, again, as normal, gives me problems.

It is just stuck doing this.
    Phone is in download mode, even says " ODIN mode" on the phone.

Guides say I hould see a yellow bar over ID:COM, I dont see that,

Just this

Make sure that Kies is not running. Go to windows task manager and kill any process named Kies. Dont uninstall Kies as it installs the required drivers.

Worked a treat thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Hey,

I had problems with my Galaxy S2 a few months ago where it was going haywire thinking it was charging when it wasn't, refusing to turn off, going into driving mode for no reason etc. I brought it to Fonemenders and they replaced the USB port and it was all fine. No charge as it was under warranty.

I'm getting similar problems now where it thinks it charging and also every minute a thing pops up saying "Charging paused - voltage too high". This is really annoying! Just wondering if I bring it to Fonemenders again will they fix it if still under warranty or can you only get it fixed once?

Why the hell is the USB port so sensitive! Would put me off getting another Samsung.

I was having odd problems like this too. I got a magnifying glass and a pin and cleaned out the crap from the USB/charge port and it's been perfect ever since. It seems if dust gets in there it's very sensitive.
    Put on cyanogenMod too so very happy indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

TheDoc that certainly was a pain in the ass with the desire. Just to let you know what you did today with your S2 is exactly how to unroot. So if you did want to get rid of some bloatware/system apps or try CM9 or another ROM, that's all you have to do to go back to stock unrooted.

Advertisement