Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Complete joke that three users have it and sim-free users don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

If you install a custom rom how do you go back to the stock rom via kies???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

-Corkie- wrote: »
    If you install a custom rom how do you go back to the stock rom via kies???

Don't think you can go back to it via Kies, but you can flash a stock ROM via Odin and then you can connect to Kies and upgrade to the latest available stock ROM that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I upgraded to the official 3 Ireland ICS (through Odin)

Am I missing something, or can anyone else confirm that Swype is missng from ICS (I only switched from Darkys because it was missing on that also)

Another niggling problem, constantly getting a warning about lost data connectivity because of data roaming.

I have selected data roam, national, all networks, and disabled, still getting the warning.

Of course its no biggie, but I'd prefer not to have it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Ghandee wrote: »
    Am I missing something, or can anyone else confirm that Swype is missng from ICS (I only switched from Darkys because it was missing on that ...

Swype is there, using it now, just select it from the notification bar when in a text box. It'll then remember your preference.

• Advertisement

Definitely not here on mine.

Might be a deal breaker tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bobmyster

SmartFox wrote: »
    Swype is there, using it now, just select it from the notification bar when in a text box. It'll then remember your preference.

Nice one, cheers, was wondering why long press in a text field was not bringing up the input method option

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Ghandee wrote: »
    Definitely not here on mine.

Might be a deal breaker tbh

Are you using the ICS update from KIES?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I'm not trying to knock this thread off, but I am planning on buying the phone tomorrow.
    I was originally going to buy the phone on Three (moving to a FlexiFix 25 plan, just to get subsidised price from my 3Pay), but it's more expensive (€529) on Prepay.

Seeing as Meteor are doing it for €499, is it better, do you think, to buy it from there and just unlock it? Can you see any advantage at buying it from Three.

It's a lot of money and I want to do it right. 3Pay is super for me, and I even get €20 per month bonus as I was an early Three customer, but it's just such a high price.

Any S2 advice folks?

SmartFox wrote: »
    Are you using the ICS update from KIES?

No, but it is the official one for three Ireland, downloaded via samfirmware

,tbh I gave up on Kies refusing to connect to the phone, installed, uninstalled, USB debug, over and over and over again.
    Just downloaded that, flashed via Odin.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to knock this thread off, but I am planning on buying the phone tomorrow.
    I was originally going to buy the phone on Three (moving to a FlexiFix 25 plan, just to get subsidised price from my 3Pay), but it's more expensive (€529) on Prepay.

Seeing as Meteor are doing it for €499, is it better, do you think, to buy it from there and just unlock it? Can you see any advantage at buying it from Three.

It's a lot of money and I want to do it right. 3Pay is super for me, and I even get €20 per month bonus as I was an early Three customer, but it's just such a high price.

Any S2 advice folks?

Buy it wherever your getting the better deal from mate.
    The phone is easily rooted/unlocked regardless who you buy it from.

Would you not consider going down the done deal/adverts.ie route though?
    Hell of a lot cheaper!

Thanks for the reply Ghandee.

Yeah, it's a lot cheaper, but I would prefer a new phone, and the fact that the warranty is there for me, as well as backing up from a network is good. As an avid rooter and modder (if you want to call it that), I am very familiar with the procedure- my HTC Wildfire has been modified so much- but I don't envisage myself doing it to the S2, as the rule generally is, if you can't afford the phone outright, do go fecking with it and rooting it.

I would love to root it, for AdFree, backing up, controlling it and generally tweaking it, but I don't want to do something stupid by invalidating the warranty on such an expensive phone. I say this because I am aware of the Unlocking app on the market, which is root only.

Update: I've read that you can use a "jig" to make it look like you've never rooted your phone, enabling you to restore to the stock, out of box state, without invalidating your warranty. If this is the case, and hopefully it is, I'm on it!
    Now, if I can only find somewhere in Dublin that sells them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Thanks for the reply Ghandee.

Yeah, it's a lot cheaper, but I would prefer a new phone, and the fact that the warranty is there for me, as well as backing up from a network is good. As an avid rooter and modder (if you want to call it that), I am very familiar with the procedure- my HTC Wildfire has been modified so much- but I don't envisage myself doing it to the S2, as the rule generally is, if you can't afford the phone outright, do go fecking with it and rooting it.

I would love to root it, for AdFree, backing up, controlling it and generally tweaking it, but I don't want to do something stupid by invalidating the warranty on such an expensive phone. I say this because I am aware of the Unlocking app on the market, which is root only.

Why not buy it sim free on amazon? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-I9100-Galaxy-Free-Smartphone/dp/B004QTBQ2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332378261&sr=8-1

It doesn't really give much off it: only a tenner really.
    Nice to save that tenner, but for the effort of it, not too much.

I want to start having fun with this beast of a phone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

I'm after cracking the screen on mine.

Absoutely ****ing raging!!

Any ideas? Im with meteor and I dont have insurance...

figuring i can go back to the shop and pay for it to be fixed, just wondering if anyone has any better solutions???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Jarren wrote: »

Highly recommended, got my own phone done fast through him.

As an aside - anybody updated to ICS and tried removing apps? Samsung say its possible, that they become "disabled" and removed from app lists. Just curious has anybody tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Sully wrote: »
    As an aside - anybody updated to ICS and tried removing apps? Samsung say its possible, that they become "disabled" and removed from app lists. Just curious has anybody tried?
    Interesting. I just disabled Music Hub, Game Hub and Mini Diary and their home screen shortcuts and listing in the app drawer disappeared. It does give a disclaimer that other apps may 'misbehave' if built-in apps are disabled but nothing else. Obvious stuff like Internet and Camera can't be disabled but neither can Kies Air, which I would actually like to disable.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Highly recommended, got my own phone done fast through him.

Yea its handy for removing some apps, but the bloatware apps like adverts, boards deals have uninstall updated as opposed to uninstall. This only removes the updates as it still there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dubba wrote: »
    Yea its handy for removing some apps, but the bloatware apps like adverts, boards deals have uninstall updated as opposed to uninstall. This only removes the updates as it still there.

So you cant actually remove those apps?

• Advertisement

Any S2 advice folks?

€449 on Pixmania and Sim Free. Rip off prices being charged in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Not ASFAIK, but I've only had the phone a week so maybe I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

Jarren wrote: »

Cheers for that.

On a seperate note, the screen is blacked out due to the crack and im trying to up load my contacts/pictures etc to my laptop but it says that the device is locked i.e. screen locked.
    Anyone know a way around this??

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Any S2 advice folks?

Theres a shop across the road from the central bank selling it new and sim free for €400

Might be worth a look if your thinking of buying the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Please someone tell me, how, for the love of god, I can get rid of the voice talk app!?

Seems almost every time I hit the home button it opens! Really irritating! I'm on ics.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Might you have the "double tap" enabled? Settings/Motion/Double tap.
    I noticed when I had it enabled and was driving every bump in the road seem to register as a double tap :/

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,

My GalaxyS2 on 3 upgraded to I9100XWKI8.

It has installed apps like Adverts.ie, RTE Pocket Player, RTE DocOnOne, Daft, etc!! Why is this??

And it seems I cannot uninstall them!?

How do I remove these?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Root phone then you can remove them.

Also make sure to let your carrier know how unhappy you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I have. I uninstalled the updates, then back out to app selection, then select app again and the disable option should be there. oh and make sure you in the all section of the applications screen, not just downloaded. I disabled all the hub apps, boardsdeals, pumps, adverts, daft etc... Once these apps are disabled they go to the bottom of the list where you can re-enable them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Disabling them is not the same as removing. SGS2 has loads of space tho so not really a big deal.

Advertisement