Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Haven't tried it myself, but this guy has been recommended on this thread before.

http://www.adverts.ie/repair-services/samsung-galaxy-s1-i9000-s1-i9001-s2-i9100-quick-lcd-repair-genuine/1103250

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

anyone having wifi and flash problems since installing ics. I am

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

croo wrote: »
    It's not just slowing while it finds cover art?

Possibly, but it worked fine until now. Is there any way to disable cover art?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

Isn't adobe stopping the update / continuation of flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

wreckless wrote: »
    Isn't adobe stopping the update / continuation of flash?
    I wonder why

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

srsly78 wrote: »
    No idea, but you are much better off installing it yourself with Odin anyway.

Got a decent guide for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

griffdaddy wrote: »
    In 'about battery' in settings is 'android os' over 20%?

No its usually low enough. My biggest drain would be display even though I try to keep it set as low as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

People will no doubt be asking the whole time buuuuut is there a generally agreed on best ICS based custom rom?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Cossax wrote: »
    People will no doubt be asking the whole time buuuuut is there a generally agreed on best ICS based custom rom?
    Ok here's my experenice:
    CM9 : I had camera issues and it had no FM radio.
    Lightning : bluetooth would not connect to car, otherwise good.
    Darkys: Excellent, very fast .Very smooth , everything working so far.Very impressed.Will be sticking with it for a while.

Its now 10 days since we were told ICS was here for SGS2. Connected my phone to KIES again today to see that I apparently have the latest Firmware NOT! When oh when are we going to get the update on SIM Free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You can get it the very minute you decide to use Odin instead of Kies, ie right now if you want.

Kies will only brick your phone anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You can get it the very minute you decide to use Odin instead of Kies, ie right now if you want.

Kies will only brick your phone anyway :D
    Can you post a howto then?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

CiaranC wrote: »
    Can you post a howto then?

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/how-to-install-ice-cream-sandwich-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s2-50006766/

I think this covers it. However, I have been told the best place to get the most up to date software is: http://www.samfirmware.com/ and type i9100 into the search box.

I haven't tried this yet for two reasons:

1. Does this void your warranty?

2. Which version should I install? I'm on a sim-free S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Won't void your warranty - you are installing official rom (as above, from: www.samfirmware.com). I installed the Polish version, works fine (altho I am a bit underwhelmed :pac:). And no your text will not be in Polish.

edit: The UK roms weren't up on the site when I installed. You could install one of those too. Do NOT install the Ireland (Three) rom unless you are actually on 3s network - they have a "special" network configuration. Might work fine tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Might work fine tho...

I wouldn't count on it... :pac:

I wouldn't count on it... :pac:

would anybody recommend the best version to flash using odin from the samfirmware site?

Im on an Irish sim-free. my contract is with meteor if that makes a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

would anybody recommend the best version to flash using odin from the samfirmware site?

Im on an Irish sim-free. my contract is with meteor if that makes a difference

https://hotfile.com/dl/149957290/da7e0f0/I9100XXLPJ_I9100XXLPJ.zip.html

Should be fine, its open Europe.

Ghandee wrote: »

Excuse my ignorance and maybe this means I shouldn't be considering flashing the ROM, whats the difference between an open europe and a uk or irish version?

Also, can the open europe version be updated via Kies? I note that the kies symbol is greyed out on Samfirmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 barrywaters

If I install ICS and I don't like it, can I revert back to gingerbread? Non rooted or flashed phone, just out of the box.

Sorry to bring this up again, but if i install ICS (I'm with 3 on Prepay) and I dont like it, can I revert back to gingerbread? My phone is not rooted or anything, just stock. I will might root in the future because I'm fed up of those spam apps eating my batter, but i need to do a lot of research before i go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I have Launcher Pro on my SGSII and have it running pretty good the way I want it. Emails/FB and twitter integration, nice widgets/wallpapers, icon packs. If I update to ICS will that mess up everything I've set up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Ok here's my experenice:
    CM9 : I had camera issues and it had no FM radio.
    Lightning : bluetooth would not connect to car, otherwise good.
    Darkys: Excellent, very fast .Very smooth , everything working so far.Very impressed.Will be sticking with it for a while.

Which version of Darkys would you recommend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

if anyone has problems with gps i got mine fixed, must have had a dodge file on my sd card

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1233256.html

got the europe.zip file here and flashed with CWM, now I get a fix in seconds.

happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

After flashing ICS I can no-longer open/edit Excel files - can anyone suggest a free app that will allow me to edit/view again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Running Resurrection Remix ICS PRO Edition v1.0 for Galaxy S2 myself. I was bricking it about rooting my phone in case I, well, in case I bricked it. But I followed the instructions from http://galaxys2root.com which was pretty straight forward. I had no problems actually rooting or reflashing ROM or making/restoring my app backups using Titanium. I love the new ROM. I only did it last night so I don't know how harsh it is on the battery but apparently it's pretty good. It seems lightening fast and at last I have the full-fat ICS. Some ROMs apparently have problems with GPS or camera or modems etc but I had no problems at all. GPS seems MUCH faster in getting my location if anything.

So, if you are nervous but are still curious, give it a go. It's pretty painless. I'd have no concerns about reflashing with another ROM in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

budgemook wrote: »
    Which version of Darkys would you recommend?

This is the one I flashed.

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/i9100-cwm-darkyrom-hd-base-xxlpq.7376/

There are 2 versions , an Odin flashable and a CMW .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

if anyone has problems with gps i got mine fixed, must have had a dodge file on my sd card

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1233256.html

got the europe.zip file here and flashed with CWM, now I get a fix in seconds.

happy out.

After telling you before about there being something up with your phone, and mine being great. Just arrived in the US and no fix! :X

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

For anyone keeping track, codeworkx just updated twitter
    codeworkx ‏ @codeworkx
    720p and 1080p recording fixed, no zoom issues #sgs2 #cm9
    happy-thumbs-up.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Saw that so within last 5mins have flashed cm9!!!

Forgot to make nandroid of cm7 first so I guess there is no going back.

Loving it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Grassey wrote: »
    Saw that so within last 5mins have flashed cm9!!!

Forgot to make nandroid of cm7 first so I guess there is no going back.

Loving it so far!

Im not sure if the fix is in the nightlys yet. Try out the video recording?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    This is the one I flashed.

http://www.darkyrom.com/community/index.php?threads/i9100-cwm-darkyrom-hd-base-xxlpq.7376/

There are 2 versions , an Odin flashable and a CMW .

Thank you, That worked a treat for me.

Which of all the roms out there for the S2 would be the closest to a stock ICS one without touchwiz like on the Galaxy Nexus?

Edit: I just noticed I can't access the android market, anyone know know why?
    Never mind.

Advertisement