Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential return of Severe Cold from mid February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If this doesn't work out there is another troublesome feature appearing.

As the battle between Intense PV over Greenland and High over Scandinavia occurs towards next weekend, some intense storms are appearing around the area to the west of Ireland, some lows are being progged as low as 930mb with extreme wind fields.

Just something to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

just saw (on magicseaweed) a small intense biscay low that may track over the southeast of ireland next weekend 12th-13th. should bring huge surf and interesting winds!!!

weather out now on the waterford coast is crazy. huge black clouds tearing across the sky from west to east and the wind has totally swung from SW to N with similar if not stronger strenght!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Reports of up to 2 inches of snow in parts of Donegal !!! Where the heck did this come from ??

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

irish1967 wrote: »
    Reports of up to 2 inches of snow in parts of Donegal !!! Where the heck did this come from ??

Snow came on very quick this morning,local radio reporting buses not traveling schools closed and traffic chaos in letterkenny, thawing quick in some places causing a lot of flooding,snowing as I type:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Where did this come from?? Totally shocked to wake up to about 3 inches of snow this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Harps wrote: »
    Where did this come from?? Totally shocked to wake up to about 3 inches of snow this morning!

Don't even think this was even hinted at anywhere. Car just passed me with a good 2 inches on it !! WTF ! Ninja snow !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

In their forecast yesterday Met E did have the possibility of sleet and hill snow overnight for the north and north west.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

It sure is turning cold at the moment, temps dropping quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

DOCARCH wrote: »
    In their forecast yesterday Met E did have the possibility of sleet and hill snow overnight for the north and north west.
    They never said snow ,they said sleet on the ulster hills. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Nothing too exciting in the BBC monthly outlook I'm afraid......

Published at 10:00, 7 February
    (Next update at 10:00, 14 February)
    Written by Matt Taylor

Summary

Unsettled at first but change is on the way

After quite a wet and windy week for much of the UK last week, the weather is set for another change as we head into the middle half of February. The settled weather look like they are heading back to our shores with drier and colder conditions.

Monday 7 February 2011 to Sunday 13 February 2011
    The wind and rain hangs on

Much of the week will bring spells of wet and windy weather across the UK, with western parts seeing the worse of the conditions. However, temperatures will remain near or just above normal for this time of the year. There will be some drier interludes at times, especially on Tuesday when most areas will see some good spells of sunshine. The weekend though heralds a change as high pressure tries to build in from the east. This will allow much cooler conditions to spread into the east with perhaps some wintry showers developing in the north.

Monday 14 February 2011 to Sunday 20 February 2011
    Turning more settled in the east but cold

During the week, high pressure will continue to build across the UK keeping the Atlantic systems mainly at bay to the west of the country. However they will manage to spread into western parts from time to time which will give spells of wet and windy weather for some. Meanwhile, further east will be mostly dry except for some wintry showers moving in from the continent. Temperatures will become rather cold for this time of year with nightime frosts developing, however western parts will be less cold at times as the wind and rain spread in.

Monday 21 February 2011 to Sunday 6 March 2011
    A mostly settled end to the month

Despite remaining strong over the south, the high pressure will loose its grip over the north on occasions allowing the return of some wet and windy conditions at times. Temperatures are set to remain cold throughout the south with frost and fog remaining a problem. Further north though will be much milder as the Atlantic air influences the region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

It sure is turning cold at the moment, temps dropping quite fast.

Its dropped 6c here in less than 3 hours

irish1967 wrote: »
    Don't even think this was even hinted at anywhere. Car just passed me with a good 2 inches on it !! WTF ! Ninja snow !
    lol same here , some cars with 2/3 inches :eek:
    Ninja snow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

The countryfile forecast on BBC last night hinted at this, snow at lower levels over northern England and north of Ireland. IIRC they referred to a polar front.

Hinted doesnt sound convincing , generally there was no word of snow ,it still came from nowhere but this is not a moment to send out a lynch mob to the weather forecasters, this is a time to thank the snowgods of the NorthWest for the snowy monday morning. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Cold is back on the latest run

h850t850eu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Pangea wrote: »
    They never said snow ,they said sleet on the ulster hills. :cool:

Well the forecast on their website yesterday evening definitely said sleet and wet snow in north and north-west with no mention of hills:)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

quite like the idea of Ninja Snow !!!

trogdor wrote: »
    Well the forecast on their website yesterday evening definitely said sleet and wet snow in north and north-west with no mention of hills:)
    Never seen that.
    If you look at the 9 forecast last night Gerry Murphy said "a few showers of sleet cant be ruled out on the Ulster hills" cool.gif
    People where caught unawares. Certainly theres no point in arguing that they got it right. I kept an eye on forecasts yesturday and at no point was I expecting snow on the hills, never mind the 3 inches in some areas.
    Even if they did say wet snow on the website, it wasnt communicated on the tv forecast. Even at that its pushing it to say that they got it right by saying wet snow. Its a far cry from wet snow when the main road to Letterkenny was blocked. :pac:

P.S In saying all that Im not complaining about Met eireann, weather is unpredicatble Im just responding to the people that are saying met eireann predicted snow when they obviously didnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Was not expecting this when i woke up this morning. Good 2.5 inches at 10am in Donegal, been raining heavy for about 30minutes before i took the pictures.
    2011_02_07_111934_1.jpg
    2011_02_07_113244.jpg

It was pouring rain at 4am when i went to bed, must have been very heavy snow to lay on such wet ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Me too. Funnily Metcheck had this forecast all week as sleet on Sunday night, Monday morning. Nobody else seems to have picked it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

SNow!!!!.... :D:D:D:D , Great to see it , helps my withdrawl sympthoms! ha :rolleyes:

That West Ulster Ninja snow just goes to show what our latitude can do when you suck the mild out of it!

Meantime,I've saved a copy of the above 06z gfs image as it will be gone by 4pm and it's beautifull.
    I still have my doubts about the setup coming off like it but you couldn't orientate a scandy high much better than it is in this image.
    The only problem would be the ridging but look east pressure is lower,meaning pressure lowering disturbances would be on their way..
    Chooo chooo!

53393.png

That West Ulster Ninja snow just goes to show what our latitude can do when you suck the mild out of it!

Meantime,I've saved a copy of the above 06z gfs image as it will be gone by 4pm and it's beautifull.
    I still have my doubts about the setup coming off like it but you couldn't orientate a scandy high much better than it is in this image.
    The only problem would be the ridging but look east pressure is lower,meaning pressure lowering disturbances would be on their way..
    Chooo chooo!

53393.png

Yeah its a stunner alright.

Roll on approx 16:10 when I cry cause its gone from the 12z :(

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Chooo chooo!

53393.png

371cp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

i think i got a bit of a horn there!!!!!!:eek:

aboyro wrote: »
    i think i got a bit of a horn there!!!!!!:eek:
    I hope thats for your love of snow and not for cats. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

prayingforsnow.jpg

Chooo chooo!

53393.png

Right. Come on Mr. 12z GFS, don't let me down !!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Right. Come on Mr. 12z GFS, don't let me down !!! :pac:

Tic toc tic toc tic toc...... haha!

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Tic toc tic toc tic toc...... haha!

Its sooo slow !!!! :pac: