Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

nothin announced so far, generally takes 8 weeks with microsoft :S on my 3rd playthrough atm, not stopping till I 1000point this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

This game really really would have been a lot more welcome during the summer drought. Planning on getting back to it after Zelda and Skyrim.
    Does anyone know how long Demon souls lasted online before it died off? Or is it still going strong? Hopefully when i get back into it there'll still be people playing to summon/invade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Patch 1.05 is out in the US

Been confirmed on all the forums also on this Namco employee's twitter account:
    https://twitter.com/filthierich/status/138920545520586752

No word on an EU release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I threw it on yesterday, went to the Penetrator Archstone. Dropped a Black Eye Stone and in no less than 30 seconds attacked some poor bugger! I usually get destroyed online, but absolutely butchered them! Felt guilty!

Also, playing Dark Souls last night, new character (Old character is stuck somewhere in the Catacombs, I'll get him out later), Lvl 6/7. I was heading for the Gargoyles from the Blacksmith and saw a Summon Sign just outside the church so figured I'd bring him along, thinking it would be some low level character trying to get Humanity. No chance! Guy had some Armour I hadn't seen and a Lightning Mace, was doing 500+ damage with it! Unreal stuff! What was crazier, we got invaded by another lad with a Lightning Spear. My new friend one-hitted him. I don't think my character even has 500hp yet!

Is that 10%+10 lvls or whatever a myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I threw it on yesterday, went to the Penetrator Archstone. Dropped a Black Eye Stone and in no less than 30 seconds attacked some poor bugger! I usually get destroyed online, but absolutely butchered them! Felt guilty!

Also, playing Dark Souls last night, new character (Old character is stuck somewhere in the Catacombs, I'll get him out later), Lvl 6/7. I was heading for the Gargoyles from the Blacksmith and saw a Summon Sign just outside the church so figured I'd bring him along, thinking it would be some low level character trying to get Humanity. No chance! Guy had some Armour I hadn't seen and a Lightning Mace, was doing 500+ damage with it! Unreal stuff! What was crazier, we got invaded by another lad with a Lightning Spear. My new friend one-hitted him. I don't think my character even has 500hp yet!

Its possible to clear the game without leveling up. That guy that invaded you purposely doesnt level his character so he can come back to low level places with high end gear and kill low level guys. Which i dont see the point in. If i was pvping i would want a challenge, and not having OP gear and cleaning the floor with low gear guys.

As for the patch, yeah im so happy its out in the US which should mean it will be out in EU soon. Will get back into the game then. Plus Skyrim is getting stale at this stage.

• Advertisement

It can be fairly ropey alright. Most of the time it's fine though. There are certain areas (Darkroot and Anor Londo) and covenants that disregard the rule and I think the servers get mixed up sometimes. Most of the "mix ups" seem to happen early game by the reports I've read.

penev10 wrote: »
    It can be fairly ropey alright. Most of the time it's fine though. There are certain areas (Darkroot and Anor Londo) and covenants that disregard the rule and I think the servers get mixed up sometimes. Most of the "mix ups" seem to happen early game by the reports I've read.

I've read it in a few places alright.
    As for the lads out for the "Grief", what a waste of time. If you need humanity, allow yourself be summoned, if you want to challenge people, allow yourself to be challenged! What's the point! If that lad that helped me wasn't there I'd easily have gotten killed, and I'm not that "new" to the game.

That said, I'm currently upgrading my armour rather than levelling up, but that's because I reckon I can handle some of the bosses with my current stats and skills. But I won't be going anywhere near those Fog Ring lads in the forest without getting myself a good few levels. They were the reason my initial character decided to go to the Catacombs, may he rest in pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Where do you actually find the fog ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

tok9 wrote: »
    Upgrade forest hunter ranks to 3 I think or trade in that skull lantern thingy with the crow in the old asylum. I got mine from the trade. Handy ring to have, I always pop it on when I get invaded cause i am a wuss :P

There are some reports from UK users that the patch is live on EU PSN.

Anyone able to check?

• Advertisement

There are some reports from UK users that the patch is live on EU PSN.

Anyone able to check?

Nope, it aint up

tok9 wrote: »

Go away from me you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

List of patch changes:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-22-dark-souls-patch-1-05-released-notes
    Magic Changes:

Pyro Glove nerfed from 270 to 230.
    You can see resonance signs now.
    Vow of Silence range increased.
    Sorcery spell damage as a whole was slightly buffed, but Homing Soul Mass and other pursuit style spells were nerfed.
    Magic Shield duration lowered to ~11 seconds.
    Strong Magic Shield duration lowered to ~11 seconds. Invincibility removed. Effect on Stamina drastically reduced.
    Tranquil Walk of Peace and other Slow duration reduced to ~10 secs. Effect supposedly changed from 100% encumberance to 50%. Rolling possible if your equip burden is lowered. Slowness is similar to swamp effect.
    Iron Flesh effectiveness nerfed.
    Invisible Body duration remains unchanged.

Status Changes:

Base Equipment Burden increased (~6-10 points)
    Humanity Item drop rate increased from 10 to 210
    Medium roll recovery faster? (unclear and unconfirmed)
    Defensive bonuses gained via Humanity reduced. Other defensive bonuses remain unchanged.
    Item discovery gained via Humanity improved. Capped at 20.

Equipment General Changes:

Reported some weapon scaling gets improved at higher normal upgrades (+15 uchi dex scaling goes to A)
    Some scaling reported as changing from A to S with higher upgrades

Upgrade Changes:

Normal scaling buffed by 5-20% (20% at +14).
    Crystal scaling buffed by 5-20% (20% at +4).
    Lightning +4 nerfed by 2% (+5 remains unchanged).
    Raw scaling buffed by 10% (all levels).
    Magic stat scaling buffed by 10-20% (20% at +9).
    Enchanted stat scaling buffed by 15-20% (20% at +4).
    Divine stat scaling buffed by 10-20% (20% at +9).
    Occult stat scaling buffed by 15-20% (20% at +4).
    Fire +9 nerfed by 2%. (+5 remains unchanged)
    Dragon stat scaling buffed by 5-20% (20% at +5).

Specific Gear Changes:

Grant scaling changed to Strength:B and Faith:A
    Gold-hemmed nerfed, still can't be upgraded.
    Dust skirt nerfed hard (streamlined to match the other pieces).
    Silver Knights, Sun, Hollow Soldier's Shield and other medium shield stability nerfed to ~70 at max upgrades to improve Great Shield viability.
    Crystal Ring Shield scaling drastically nerfed. Does around ~200 +-50
    Dragon Greatsword buffed from 360 to 390.
    Silver Knight's Sword lightning effect removed. Now enchantable.
    Elite Knight gear nerfed, then buffed slightly in 1.05

Combat Changes:

Lock-on acquisition range increased.
    Lock-on changing/switching got easier (more responsive).

Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.
    Play in standard definition
    Play in high definition

PVE Changes:

Overall increase in souls gained (~2-2.5 times more)
    Damage reduced on some mobs?
    HP lowered on some mobs?
    Reduced acquisition range on normal enemies.
    Supposedly reduced poise on some enemies.
    Bosses drop Humanity and Homeward Bones
    Ghosts and Skeletons give souls now.
    Twinkling Titanite drop rate improved.
    Pyromancers in Catacombs drop Skull Lanterns.
    Darkwraiths in New Londo drop Dark Hand.

Online Changes:

You can see resonance signs.
    Some invasion restrictions possibly changed? Darkwraith upperlimit confirmed as unchanged.
    1.05: Summon restrictions improved slightly again.
    Amount of souls the Master of the game gains changed.
    Cracked Eye Orbs no longer get consumed on failure. Confirmed
    You can hit Select to rate messages.
    1.05: Fixed 1.04 bug where summon signs were invisible.

Covenant Changes:

Covenant Material drop rate improved.
    Lowered requirements for Sunbro covenenant (requirements moved from 50 to 25. 3/4 assists should do the trick)

Other Changes:

Official Guide nerfed.
    Forest Hunter NPC farming remains unchanged.
    Dark Anor Londo NPC farming remains unchanged.
    Kiln Skip Glitch still works in 1.05

Merchant stock updates:

Male Undead Merchant: Also sells bottomless box
    Female Undead Merchant: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts
    Andrei: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts
    Domnhal of Xena: Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Master Key (5000)
    Giant Blacksmith (Fapsmith): Sells Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Titanite Shards, Large Tit Shards, Twinkling (8000 per, inf amount), Green Shards, Repair box, upgrade boxes
    Vamos: Arrows / Crossbolts, Small Tit, Large tit, Repair box / upgrade boxes
    Inglwood: Sells Transient Curses

Fixes:

Fixed some freeze issues
    Lvl up screen displays souls needed properly now
    Dragon-head glitch, snuggly, and magic shield glitches fixed.
    Fixed a bug where your inputs come out 1 second later.
    Fixed a bug where the second solaire event wont progress.
    Fixed a bug where feeding frampt a titanite stone then going over 99 resulted in having zero.
    Fixed some specific map areas where you'd get stuck or be unable to progress.
    Changed some english subtitles on the overseas port.

Nice to see the 1 second input delay glitch gone and a few other annoyances like not being able to see how many souls you need to level up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

From that site Retr0 quoted:
    Eurogamer can confirm that a Dark Souls patch is available to download in the UK on Xbox 360 now.

PSN updates today around teatime, so hopefully we will get it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

good to see lightening and fire reduced at bit, and the rest getting a boost , makes it a fairer i think.

also the capping of the shields , thus rewarding players who invested in strength and being able to yield the heavier shields.

all in all probably hurts me though ! as i use the fury sword and have my fire glove to +15 . now a choice whether to invest in strength or intelligence , as my faith is around 8 or 9 i think !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was running around with a lighning spear barely getting by which is now nerfed :'(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was running around with a lighning spear barely getting by which is now nerfed :'(

what level are you ?

i am fairly high level now, and get through most things easily enough, getting lost and falling off cliffs is my worst enemy now !

i have spend an awful lot of time been summoned , one weekend i played all night and when i sobered up and checked the next day i had 500,000 souls and 20 odd humanity. i kindled all the decent bonfires , and leveled up. i am now around 88 or something, but have gone to getting summoned to ng+ or higher games alot of the time. so i think it is now time for me pass it myself !

SL50 at the moment. Think I'm doing it all wrong. Went for a dex based character but strenght seems to be far more important. I'm hanging in there but when I summon people they all have much better equipment than me and are one shotting everything :) I had a fully upgraded raw scimitar and it wasn't even close to the stats of a base drake sword :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

SL50 at the moment. Think I'm doing it all wrong. Went for a dex based character but strenght seems to be far more important. I'm hanging in there but when I summon people they all have much better equipment than me and are one shotting everything :) I had a fully upgraded raw scimitar and it wasn't even close to the stats of a base drake sword :)
    Sounds like you might be neglecting vit and end stats. They need to be at a decent level too no matter what build you want to focus on.

it is cheating a bit, but there is a snuggly the crow glitch that allows you to get demon titanite (i think) and also twinkling , in exchange for moss and purge stones (they cost 10 souls each) handy if you want to +5 your boss weapons. this will be gone with the patch so hurry !!

• Advertisement

Queelag's Furysword? Gathering if you're SL50 you've got the soul. B Scaling with Dex and additional fire damage. Ricards Rapier seems popular too

Very few weapons scale well from STR bar a few giant axes and clubs

Bah sitting on 900 gs for this, can't get the prowling demons to drop the ****ing pole! arseholes! will get the last of the miracles on my next playthrough and hopefully the pole

Queelag's Furysword? Gathering if you're SL50 you've got the soul. B Scaling with Dex and additional fire damage. Ricards Rapier seems popular too

Very few weapons scale well from STR bar a few giant axes and clubs

No, plain old scimitar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Might give NG+ a whirl with the patch. Might finally be able to fluke my way down to old Curse curer and get that precious last sorcery!

No, plain old scimitar.
    Queelags Furysword was a suggestion not a question:) probably could've phrased that better.

This site has the updated scaling data (post patch)
    http://darksouls.lljk.net/1.04/weapons

Maybe revert your scimitar back to normal +5 then upgrade it to +14 (need Very Large ember from the Wraith area in New Londo) to get A scaling for DEX?

I'll give both suggestions a try. Currently making a divine weapon to deal with the annoying skeletons so I can kick Nito's undead ass.

Patch is live on EU PSN. At 12:30am :mad: Just did a quick test on my Faith character and im doing about 100-150 (660 total 2handed) more DMG with a Divine Lucerne on the Hollow Warriors near Firelink Shrine. Never made a Lightning Weapon on any of my characters to compare the damage but it does look promising. Gonna get stuck into my new character when i get home from work tommorow! Weeee

-Edit-
    Just tested a few more things there. Crystal Shield (not upgraded) is terrible now. Did 150 DMG on a Hollow Warrior near Firelink. Wrath of the Gods DMG has been almost cut in half. It was almost on par with my melee weapon but it did only 270 on Hollows. Will still be useful in pvp im sure as it still casts very fast and has the knockdown. Great Lightning Spear seems to have increased in DMG. Did 578 DMG on a Hollow. Not as good as melee ofcourse but a nice high DMG option for PvE.

Tempted to get stuck in now dispite the fact i have to get up in 4 hours for work :P
    -Edit-

Seems it went up with the US PSN update because I was waiting for Corpse Party to go live and it just did a few minutes ago as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Arawn wrote: »
    Bah sitting on 900 gs for this, can't get the prowling demons to drop the ****ing pole! arseholes! will get the last of the miracles on my next playthrough and hopefully the pole
    Good news lad, you dont need that weapon. I have the plat trophy . Have you the channeller trident

• Advertisement

ah ****e thats what I'm missing!

Advertisement