Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Good news on the patch, must log in tomorrow and test out the damage numbers on my max STR build and see how it fares against the lightning Claymore.

Will report back tomorrow with details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Good news on the patch, must log in tomorrow and test out the damage numbers on my max STR build and see how it fares against the lightning Claymore.

Will report back tomorrow with details.

Had to stop playing dark souls.... must sleep.

Got a pleasent surprise when i turned it back on and there was the patch ready to be installed. Didnt have a clue it was coming tonight. It seems to have improved my cleric tenfold, Just entered lost izalith. Fecking wrecked tired, but that was epic, 4 bosses in one playthrough.

Im loving the Crescent axe, unless there is a better scaling weapon for faith reachable with such low stats (18 str/12 dex. B faith scaling) Ill be using it forever. With the B in faith scaling Its now compareable (pretty close) to my +5 lightning Mace and +10 Divine Morning star (C faith) which is a shocker. Was tempted to make an occult great scythe, I even raised dex to 14 to use it :(, but its too slow for what Im used to.

Patch seems to have made it harder to summon people due to constantly being invaded when human lol :D I never got invaded before tonight, and it was constant (just before the red/fire asylum demon in demons ruins, and twice in tomb of the giants).
    Only died twice too, beat a good 4 or 5 of the fools, Tranquil walk of peace and great magic barrier was kicking ass. Funny watching people try leg it the second they realise their magic aint gonna cut it.

Game is evil. Its 5am ffs.

looking forward to finishing it. Probably not going NG+ as Im not pushed on achievements just for the sake of em. May restart with a fresh game for the patch :)

OH and the chaos bugs in the lost izalith shortcut now drop Sunlight Medals praise the sun. I got 4 passing through 3 or so times. Drop rate for white titanite chunks seems way higher from the skele towers and pinwheel dudes too.

Also the changes to some of the text is jarring, I liked the "YOU DEFEATED" message :(

Still GOTY, although Ive Zelda to play and StreetFighter AE12 is out on the 3rd :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Patch is live on EU PSN. At 12:30am

Damn, set my auto update for 22:00-00:00 before I left for work.
    Will have to reset it when I get home so it's there for me when I get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

-For SL 120 PvP purposes-

I have started a DEX build character with the new patch. Most of the best weapons that scale with DEX have low DEX requirements, so even with the better scaling it seems that bringing your DEX up into the 40's seems pointless since all it is giving you is raw DMG. But with a STR build your getting access to the higher STR weapons and shields and with INT/FAI builds your getting access to the higher end spells and enchantments along with that increased DMG scaling.

For example i could make my Uchi +15 which then gives it an A scaling and then pump DEX to 40, and that would be the optimum DMG:STAT ratio for that weapon as a DEX build.

But if i where to enchant that Uchi to a +5 Enchanted Uchi and pump my INT up to 40 i would get similiar DMG and access to a ton of spells. But i suppose a +15 Uchi can be enchanted with a Weapon Enchant so maybe pumping DEX to 40 and then INT/FAI to the requirement for whichever enchant i wanted would be the best route for raw DMG output?

Any thoughts on this guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

1000 gs got invaded a **** ton on my sl 615 char, once by a lvl 65!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I have started a DEX build character with the new patch. Most of the best weapons that scale with DEX have low DEX requirements, so even with the better scaling it seems that bringing your DEX up into the 40's seems pointless since all it is giving you is raw DMG. But with a STR build your getting access to the higher STR weapons and shields and with INT/FAI builds your getting access to the higher end spells and enchantments along with that increased DMG scaling.

For example i could make my Uchi +15 which then gives it an A scaling and then pump DEX to 40, and that would be the optimum DMG:STAT ratio for that weapon as a DEX build.

But if i where to enchant that Uchi to a +5 Enchanted Uchi and pump my INT up to 40 i would get similiar DMG and access to a ton of spells. But i suppose a +15 Uchi can be enchanted with a Weapon Enchant so maybe pumping DEX to 40 and then INT/FAI to the requirement for whichever enchant i wanted would be the best route for raw DMG output?

Remember you'll have to factor in Atunement levelling if you go full magic. Atunement of 19 or 23 for 4 or 5 spells respectively.

Spells against a decent PVP opponent are pretty useless also. Soul Arrows and Soul mass are too easy to avoid to be effective as anything other than a decoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

This Bed of chaos boss is absolutly blowing the ****ing head off me :mad:

The Capra demon and this guy are not hard, or a challange. Both are cheap bull****. Cracking up here lol.

Edit: SUCCESS

Yep sounds good, Crystal magic weapon would be the way to go from what I hear / have read. It requires 25 INT but is sapposed to be well worth the invest.

Your point about a STR build being a better option due to access to the high requirement STR items is true but all of the best STR scaling weapons are the very heavy and slow type which is why I didn't like STR at all.

A DEX build sounds pretty good now to be honest, a +15 Uchi with 40 DEX and Crystal Magic Weapon may be pretty sweet to be honest and you have the option of dual wielding which was an amazing DEX build in Demon's and should be viable again now!!

penev10 wrote: »
    Remember you'll have to factor in Atunement levelling if you go full magic. Atunement of 19 or 23 for 4 or 5 spells respectively.

Spells against a decent PVP opponent are pretty useless also. Soul Arrows and Soul mass are too easy to avoid to be effective as anything other than a decoy.

chaos fire whip is effective

Arawn wrote: »
    Cool, haven't tried out pyromancies in PVP, they seem a bit slow to innitiate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Great combustion too if you backstab someone, then hit them with it as they get up

Cool, haven't tried out pyromancies in PVP, they seem a bit slow to innitiate.
    Was fighting a guy yesterday, he was using gravelord+4 was getting me I just said **** it, whipped him and destroyed his health.

Great game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

love getting invaded now, havent been defeated yet since ive all the top gear :D

Was fighting a guy yesterday, he was using gravelord+4 was getting me I just said **** it, whipped him and destroyed his health.

Great game
    Must give it a go. Didn't like the range of Fire Whip when I tried it out, preferred the flamethrower one (Fire Surge?) as you can move whilst you fire.

tonydude wrote: »
    love getting invaded now, havent been defeated yet since ive all the top gear :D

What type of build are you?

Joined the forest protectors/cat covenant on my second character and everytime I invade I'm ambushed by 2 waiting beefcakes! Same craic when I was with the Darkmoons and invaded in Dark Anor Londo.

How do people enjoy the game playing like that?

Must give it a go. Didn't like the range of Fire Whip when I tried it out, preferred the flamethrower one (Fire Surge?) as you can move whilst you fire.
    Fire combustion. Aye I had blocked a shot, chaos whip.

Had one scumbag with a fog ring and Dragon slayer bow. Never seen someone run away as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Joined the forest protectors/cat covenant on my second character and everytime I invade I'm ambushed by 2 waiting beefcakes! Same craic when I was with the Darkmoons and invaded in Dark Anor Londo.

How do people enjoy the game playing like that?

Had this happen two or three times yesterday as well. I'm loving getting summoned to the forest, but that's killing me.

Had a hilarious one last night. I got called in, someone else had also been summoned. Both of us ran at this guy. What did he do? Sprinted away, so we chased him, he ran right through the forest, getting everyone's attention, Demonic Foliage, Bandits, Knights, Mages and us two phantoms chasing the lad around for about five minutes. Poor lad got butchered

• Registered Users Posts: 20,255 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just gone into valley of the drakes, killed 5/ of the suckers, but there is a big iron gate in the way now , where do i go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

There's not much in the valley of the drakes. You have to go through the Londo Ruins to open that gate.

From the way you came in there is a path to the left where this is a few more drakes to kill, a big skeleton like Drake and short cut to blighttown and the Londo Ruins.

Thats about it I think.

• Advertisement

i opened the floodgates now in new londo, but fell off a cliff (duh) , where are the 4 kings ? i bough 20 transient curse off the fellow who opened the gate so no problem heading back in there

after going through new londo, through valley of the drakes, i went through fog on a downward stair case, but i get to the bottom of the stairs and nothing. i fell off here last time and don't feel like going through it again

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

2smiggy wrote: »
    after going through new londo, through valley of the drakes, i went through fog on a downward stair case, but i get to the bottom of the stairs and nothing. i fell off here last time and don't feel like going through it again

Equip the ring Covenant Of Artorias gotten by killing the Great Grey Wolf Sif in Darkroot Garden, and then jump down and it's a boss fight.

4 kings are now sleeping with the fishes :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

4 Kings was a bitch until I figured out the easy way
    Put on your best defensive gear and hack lumps out of them

Nearly finished, only a few areas to go it seems.

ya
    i had on full havels , and hacked away 2 handed, just used 2 flasks !!

right !! i have everything , just the last boss to go. do i kill all the blacksmiths , fire keepers and covenant keepers ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

right !! i have everything , just the last boss to go. do i kill all the blacksmiths , fire keepers and covenant keepers ?

Haven't finished my first play through yet (just killed four kings) - but I'm going to kill everyone before I fight the last boss.

Am finding the game much easier as a Strength based character. Am using the Large Club which A scales with Strength and it's the business:D Have it at +13 at the moment with 32 strength and it does >450 damage. The R2 move with it also kicks ass as it charges forward with a horizontal swing and a massive hit box. The charge and the size of the weapon mean you can use it from a distance and knock lumps out of anything!

Have just joined the Dark Wraiths. Having been disappointed with the PVP whilst in the Forest Gang and the Dark Blades I'm hoping things fair better.

• Advertisement

Yep most definitely, kill everyone especially the firekeepers!!

Although I actually felt really bad after killing the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo!! :o

Advertisement