Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Finding Quelaag very frustrating now..even the Drake Sword only takes a tiny fraction of its health and its not exactly a fun fight, just constantly running around in circles trying to get a swing in every now and again before eventually being killed. Its a real pain getting back to the fight with the toxic water as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Iv just reached the blacksmith. I'm still using my long sword and shield, don't think it's anything fancy, just a basic shield. Have I missed and decent equipment up to now can anyone tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Blighttown is a pain on consoles the frame rate is unplayable in areas and you will die because of it. If you can get 30 fps or more on pc in that area it's not half as challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Harps wrote: »
    Finding Quelaag very frustrating now..even the Drake Sword only takes a tiny fraction of its health and its not exactly a fun fight, just constantly running around in circles trying to get a swing in every now and again before eventually being killed. Its a real pain getting back to the fight with the toxic water as well

Try going human, you fight an NPC in the swamp area and you can then summon her before the fog wall, I found she helps a lot.

Thanks, that sorted it. A bit odd that a naked woman with a bag over her head could be so effective but there you go!
    DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Iv just reached the blacksmith. I'm still using my long sword and shield, don't think it's anything fancy, just a basic shield. Have I missed and decent equipment up to now can anyone tell me.

I didn't find anything worthwhile by that stage either so you should be fine for now, once you reach the Lower Burg you'll find some light armour which is good if you want to be able to move a lot quicker. I wouldn't bother upgrading anything at the Blacksmith until you have a better idea of what your play style will be.

What you should do to make things a lot easier is get the Drake Sword

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-the-Drake-Sword-in-Dark-Souls

Edit: You should find the Halbred Spear/Axe in front of the church near the blacksmith I think, upgrade that a couple of times and it comes in very handy in the Depths, everything can poison you down there so its good to have a powerful ranged weapon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Spears beat all. The ability to attack while at the same time defending with your shield makes scary new encounters easy. :)

I tried the winged spear for a while but didn't really like the feel of it, its useful all right in that you can keep your shield up the whole time but just didn't really suit my play style. I've been using the Shadow Armour so speed is my main defence over blocking.

I'm still using the Drake Sword for now but picked up the Falchion & the Iaito Katana so thinking of upgrading both of those

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It never dropped for me on my first playthrough but i got a Silver Knight Spear in NG+ and it's a beast of a weapon when fully upgraded, the long reach on it gives you a huge advantage, plus it's a divine weapon.

Iaito is great, makes short work even of some of the bosses once it's upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I upgraded one of the spears and was amazed at how easy it made boss fights.

I battered Sif around like he was a piece of wet tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'm using the Silver Knight Straight Sword for one my characters. It's also a beast when fully upgraded but the best thing about it that it's one of the only very few unique weapons that is completely buffable as in being able to use Resins, Sorcery Weapon buffs and Miracle Sunlight Blade buff. I have the Sunlight Blade buff with the "The Ring of the Sun's First Born" and It's been making short work of Invaders :)

It's strong/weak attacks can string together so you get a couple of weak shots in for speed/less stamina and then do a chain of strong attacks to finish something off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just working my way through Sen's Fortress and every so often i come across circular shaped glowing light just floating in front of me.
    Anyone know what it is?

It's a Miracle Synergy ring. When you are close by one of these and if you have certain miracles (e.g Heal, Wrath of the gods) it shows this ring appear in your miracle selection on the bottom left on your equipment. This synergy ring basically increase the power of your miracles that allow this synergy. So for example if you use heal while in it's vicinity you will receive more health, if you use wrath of the gods in it's vicinity then it will do more damage etc

If you join the Princess Guard covenant and equip the covenant ring, when you are near one of these glowing synergy rings it will double the output.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

I'm after killing the Taurus Demon (first boss?) last night and thinking I just keep following that path past him?
    I've kicked down the ladder to get back to the bonfire in Undead Burg and quit there.
    I'm in a scary spot at the moment because I have about 12K souls and 3 humanity and not sure if I should use them to level up now or wait until I can upgrade weapons.
    I'm doing Pyro and I'm currently lvl 18 or so and I read that I should focus on Vit/End/Str/Dex when levelling and that's what I've done to date.
    Killed the merchant and got the Uchigatana after buying everything off him.

2 Questions really
    1. Am I near to being able to upgrade my weapons armour and should I save the souls for this?
    2. When do I use humanity? Didn't really get it from reading the wiki and am trying to avoid using the wiki too much. Should you always aim to be in human form?

It's good, v good...was trying to think of a game I played to date where you felt so on edge going into new territory...especially when you're going back to recover your bloodstain:D

GK1001 wrote: »

2 Questions really
    1. Am I near to being able to upgrade my weapons armour and should I save the souls for this?
    2. When do I use humanity? Didn't really get it from reading the wiki and am trying to avoid using the wiki too much. Should you always aim to be in human form?

1) Depends on the weapon you want to upgrade as each weapon upgrades differently (i.e needs Twinkling Titanite, Demon Titante, Dragon Scales, Normal Titanite etc) and also the path you want to go. Unqiue weapons can't be upgraded via Lightning, Fire, Chaos, Raw, Magic etc but normal weapons can

2) Use humanity to reverse hollow (i.e become human) at bonfires if you want to engage in jolly co-op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

weiland79 wrote: »
    Just working my way through Sen's Fortress and every so often i come across circular shaped glowing light just floating in front of me. Anyone know what it is?

It's a miracle boost. Someone else in their world, who is a member of one of two covenants cast a miracle there. If you also cast a miracle there it's effect is boosted.

GK1001 wrote: »
    2 Questions really

You're close enough to the blacksmith there, go back up the ladder and out the door to cross under the bridge, keep going that way and you should reach him in 10 minutes or so. Quite a few tough enemies though for a first attempt so you're probably better using the souls to level up. Also not much point upgrading anything too much until youhave a clear idea of your play style

Humanity is handy for boss fights, you can summon people to help you out or go into someone else's game for some free practice (don't lose souls when you die). I wouldn't bother being human for general gameplay though. If you have 2 humanity you can become human then use the other to kindle a bonfire which gives you 10 flasks every time you rest

For my own game, any tips on where to tackle after Blighttown? I see the gate opened in the forest after I rang the bell but there's still quite a few places I haven't been..New Londo Ruins, Valley of the Drakes and that lava chamber below Quelaag's Domain. Havent been down past the blacksmith either where the big lightning shooting thing is

For my own game, any tips on where to tackle after Blighttown? I see the gate opened in the forest after I rang the bell but there's still quite a few places I haven't been..New Londo Ruins, Valley of the Drakes and that lava chamber below Quelaag's Domain. Havent been down past the blacksmith either where the big lightning shooting thing is

Valley of the Drakes doesn't have much but there is the Dragon Crest shield that is handy, just beware when getting it (you'll know why). There is also the Red Tearsone Ring but I'v never bothered with that ring or the Blue Tearstone one.

No point in doing New Londo ruins until you have the Lordvessal, which you get from Anor Londo.

The Demon Ruins you could try, the boss there is ceaseless discharge. He's kinda tough but there is a way to kill him VERY easily. Killing him opens up the rest of the area that is free from lava.

To be honest though you're best going to Sen's ASAP then to Anor Londo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Main quest wise Sen's fortress should be next on your list. You can kill the lightning thing (Titanite Demon) for a shortcut into Darkroot Garden. Valley of the drakes is a tiny area with some good items in it, the enemies are tough though but can be killed easily enough with arrows.

The Lava area I'd leave alone for now although with the bonfire at the start of it it's no harm to explore it as there's only one way you can go at first. Just don't go in with a lot of souls on you ;)

where can i find gold pine resin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

where can i find gold pine resin?

Giant Mushrooms by the enchanted ember in darkroot drop it 100%, sometimes they drop 2 at a time.

• Advertisement

Giant Mushrooms by the enchanted ember in darkroot drop it 100%, sometimes they drop 2 at a time.

Haven't got that far yet. I'm standing infront of the fog leading to Iron Golem in Sens Fortress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It's only place to farm them, you can buy them off some vendors but they only have a few. You could always open the sens shortcut and run back that way. I'm assuming you've opened the door with the crest of artorias.

Haven't got that far yet. I'm standing infront of the fog leading to Iron Golem in Sens Fortress.

The shortcut between Firelink Shrine and the graveyard area before the Catacombs. Can't think of exact directions but have you activated the lift shortcut between Undead Burg and Firelink Shrine? If you have go to that area in Firelink but instead of taking the lift drop down the hole beside the lift.

I think there's some pine resin in one of the chests there.

Edit - For exact directions, I think you go to the area where the 3 guards are and the girl that's praying and take the stairs on the right in that room.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I picked this game up for a tenner on Gamers Gate the other night, but am playing a couple of other things atm first so can't start it. The wait is killing me though :D

It's only place to farm them, you can buy them off some vendors but they only have a few. You could always open the sens shortcut and run back that way. I'm assuming you've opened the door with the crest of artorias.

No dont think i've opened a door with the crest.

Edit:

Just checked it on the wiki, and i haven't been to darkroot garden yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Ive hit a brick wall in the form of the boss fight with atorias.. Ive had about 10 goes trying to kill him, getting no where... any tips ?

Dodging + Timing is key when fighting Knight Artorias. Once you learn his move/attack patterns it becomes easier to dodge his attacks and then hit. Don't be greedy in getting hits in and be conservative when fighting him. Dodge, hit then back off until the next time.

Giving Sens Fortress a go then, the lizard things are easy enough to kill but all the traps are really annoying me, cleared out a big area just now only to be insta-killed by man-eating chest, very cheap.

Giving Sens Fortress a go then, the lizard things are easy enough to kill but all the traps are really annoying me, cleared out a big area just now only to be insta-killed by man-eating chest, very cheap.

You can tell if the chest's are a mimic by the chain on the ground on the right of the chest, if it's a mimic it will be lying toward you, if not it will be in a circle.

Or you can just attack every chest you see, if it's a mimic it will attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Ive hit a brick wall in the form of the boss fight with atorias.. Ive had about 10 goes trying to kill him, getting no where... any tips ?

If you have a very good shield, you can just block his attacks and wait for an opening. That's what I did. If you don't, parrying him is also very effective.

That chest drops the lightning spear if you kill it. Worth going back for. Good weapon.

Advertisement