Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Ive hit a brick wall in the form of the boss fight with atorias.. Ive had about 10 goes trying to kill him, getting no where... any tips ?

Exact same thing happened to me, kind of made me stop playing, which is really annoying considering I'd been enjoying it so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

danthefan wrote: »
    Exact same thing happened to me, kind of made me stop playing, which is really annoying considering I'd been enjoying it so much.

Isn't that section of the game optional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

tuxy wrote: »
    Isn't that section of the game optional?

yeah it;s part of the dlc, but I love the game so much I want to complete it fully, I will try the shield block... but the ****er is so fast and agile..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I thought Artorius was fairly easy to beat, but i had help from a human helper who was in the vicinity. Maybe thats why it was so easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Basically, if you have a greatshield (e.g Iron Greatshield, Black Iron Greatshield, Stone Shield, Havels Shield etc) you can block Artorias' attacks. If you have a small or medium shield then you need to dodge his attacks. If you have a small/medium shield then swicthing your gear around so that you can fast roll would be a good option.

Also if you are having a hard time fighting him, summon help! It's not cheating. If you summon help for any boss it balances out by giving the boss more health + damage. The more people you summon the more it does this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

weiland79 wrote: »
    where can i find gold pine resin?

Some merchants sell it, and some mobs (mushrooms) drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

A summon really helps as it splits his attention.

Just learns his attacks, most of his attacks are easy to dodge, bring a shield with decent stability there's a stab attack he does that'll break your poise with a low stability shield, try the grass crest shiled at +11 or more(stamina regen buff helps). Also bring a decent poise breaking weapon for when he charges up. 2 slaps of the claymore or more like it will knock him out of it.

Exactly where to get Gold Pine Resin:
    - Domhnall of Zena sells only 3 of them per playthrough
    - Elizabeth, the keeper of the sanctuary in Oolacile (the mushroom) sells 5 of them per playthrough
    - The chest in Undead Burg gives you 3 of them
    - Mushroom Parents in Darkroot Garden 100% drop, sometimes give you two
    - I'v heard the Mushroom children in the Great Hollow have a chance to drop them. I haven't gotten one yet though.

If you want to have a whole bunch of them, I would farm them from the Mushroom Parents. Easier said than done though :D

Alternatively, if you have at least 30 faith, the Sunlight Blade miracle buffs your weapon with lightning, a more powerful version of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Kirby wrote: »
    That chest drops the lightning spear if you kill it. Worth going back for. Good weapon.

Stupid chest fell down the lift shaft when I was fighting it so the spear is stuck at the bottom :rolleyes:

Made it to the top at long last, a real struggle to make it to the bonfire but once I managed that it was straight forward enough

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Harps wrote: »
    Stupid chest fell down the lift shaft when I was fighting it so the spear is stuck at the bottom :rolleyes:

Made it to the top at long last, a real struggle to make it to the bonfire but once I managed that it was straight forward enough

It might appear at the top of the shaft when you load up the game again, I've had NPCs fall off cliffs and their loot appears where they fall off when I come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It might appear at the top of the shaft when you load up the game again, I've had NPCs fall off cliffs and their loot appears where they fall off when I come back.

Or kicked off cliffs :D

Mickeroo wrote:

Yes..."fall" :P

Dark Wood Grain Ring FTW! :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

haha yeah thats what happened to
    Lautrec and Shive of the East's ninja bodyguard in my NG+
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

what atributes are best to power up first in the game and who is the stongest meelee character

what atributes are best to power up first in the game and who is the stongest meelee character

Depends on what character build you want to play, the class system in Dark Souls isn't as important as you would think as it's greatly flexible. If you are going for sword, hammers etc then I would pump stats into strength to wield them. Katana's or daggers you would require dexterity.

For starting class that has the most strength, go for the bandit or try the Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

So I'm playing as Warrior and have been pumping souls into Strength Endurance Dexterity and Vitality I've stuck with my Longsword and it's now at plus 10. Am i right in saying i cannot improve it anymore than that. I have The Drake Sword in my inventory and i know i should be using that and i will but just wanted to make my LS as strong as possible.
    I got the lightning spear but i need faith level 30 to use it effectively but i'm only at level 9 should i put souls into faith is it worth it as a warrior?

Aghhhhh so many questions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

So I'm playing as Warrior and have been pumping souls into Strength Endurance Dexterity and Vitality I've stuck with my Longsword and it's now at plus 10. Am i right in saying i cannot improve it anymore than that. I have The Drake Sword in my inventory and i know i should be using that and i will but just wanted to make my LS as strong as possible.
    I got the lightning spear but i need faith level 30 to use it effectively but i'm only at level 9 should i put souls into faith is it worth it as a warrior?

It can go to +15, you need titanite chunks for up to +14 and a titanite slab to get +15.

I personally don't like spears and I think pumping up faith that much would be a serious waste if your going for str or dex build. Try and find a weapon that scales with str or dex, whichever you prefer. I have a build using a +15 Balder Side Sword which has A scaling with dex and 45 dex stat, it's a complete beast!!

I wouldn't bother with the Drake Sword as you need Dragon Scales to upgrade it and there is better weapons!

Your longsword might be better than the Drake sword if it's at +10. Drake sword is only any use early in the game. You can get the longsword up to +15 but you need to get the very large ember to do that ( I think it's in New Londo Ruins.), or you could make it magic/fire/chaos/divine/enchanted or lightning.

Wouldn't bother pumping faith at all if you're staying as a melee character, faith is for miracles I think. I don't recall needing faith to use the lighning spear unless there's an actual miracle called lighning spear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Mickeroo wrote: »

Nah its not even at the bottom of the shaft any more after respawning so looks like I've lost it. I haven't been using spears anyway so not too bothered

Made it to Anor Londo earlier, a relief to be somewhere that looks nice and has wide open spaces after the dark claustrophobic feel to Blighttown and the Depths. Have a feeling those giant knights will be attacking me before too long though!

Have a feeling those giant knights will be attacking me before too long though!

tumblr_lvumrsXAtk1r06xea.jpg

• Advertisement

Nah its not even at the bottom of the shaft any more after respawning so looks like I've lost it. I haven't been using spears anyway so not too bothered

Made it to Anor Londo earlier, a relief to be somewhere that looks nice and has wide open spaces after the dark claustrophobic feel to Blighttown and the Depths. Have a feeling those giant knights will be attacking me before too long though!

I think we are following the same path. I've just got to the main gate of the big cathederal in Anor Londo. What platform are you playing on? Those big Knights aren't really too much of a problem. Watch out for the mimicry though!

An easy way to spot the mimic chests is to equip your bow and if you aim the reticule at the chest you can see the chest slightly opening every ten seconds or so.

Or just whack the chest if you're unsure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Throwing a lloyds talisman at one will open it and allow you to take the item without aggro'ing him.

I was doing battle with a mimic last night and my wife walked in. Sometimes I honestly I don't know what to say to her when she says things like.

You're a 37 yr old married man with 2 kids and your sitting there fighting a big tongue in a box with legs.

BUT THE LOOOT!

Throwing a lloyds talisman at one will open it and allow you to take the item without aggro'ing him.

You also have a chance of getting another item from them if you keep using a lloyds talisman. I won't spoil anything though.

You also have a chance of getting another item from them if you keep using a lloyds talisman. I won't spoil anything though.

I've fought two of them so far, if I start using the talisman now will it still work?

I've fought two of them so far, if I start using the talisman now will it still work?

There are a good few Mimic's left. There's at least 4 in Anor Londo and about another 2 or 3 in the Dukes Archives. So you should have a few chances of getting it still.

Equip the Gold Covetous Ring just to be sure as well. Basically have to keep using a lloyds talisman and checking the chest until you get it. (everytime a Mimic gets up and then goes back to slumber has a chance of having the item)

Btw the item isn't another weapon, it's a unique drop specific to the Mimic. If you get it you'll see what it is :)

• Advertisement

Btw the item isn't another weapon, it's a unique drop specific to the Mimic. If you get it you'll see what it is :)

Ooh cryptic

Advertisement