Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

When I'm pulling my hair out due to the stress of the game I'll return then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

After waiting for a year or so for the stars to align, I've picked up a copy of LE of this on Adverts...I'll have it for the weekend...now lets go through my stars aligning checklist...

Wife away...Check!
    Kids away...Check!
    Few days off work booked unbeknownst to above wife...Check!
    Avoid random nights on the sauce given the above info...Let's not be presumptious and check this one yet;)

Anyway been looking forward to this for a long time...I'm even going to stop playing BL2 for the first time since October

Kill me...Kill me now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is the version on the Xbox store the Prepare to Die Edition? What's the difference between that and standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Is the version on the Xbox store the Prepare to Die Edition? What's the difference between that and standard?

prepare to die addition you get the dlc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The souls wiki forums is a fantastic place to go to chat about Dark Souls and to look for help. The Trading and Player help section had a thread on Co-op services where you can offer to help others. I'm currently on the Xbox list, my gamertag is DARK SUN PETER and I have builds at levels 51 (sorceror), 82 (Faith+Dex mix) and 201 (Big Faith Tank). If you need help and you're within my range hit me up:) The Invader Trader store of Wonders is another brill place if you need items for creating builds.

I'm currently building another Faith Tank which I plan to level up as far as 120. I'll keep him at around level 25 for the time being to help new players in the burg, parish and depths. I'll use tank weapons and miracles mainly but I'm also gonna bring my dex levels up to the minimum required for certain bleed weapons which I'll sent down the divine and occult paths for the scaling. It would be a great way to mix things up. When I get to 120 I'll do some invading with the Grant club.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what you just said right there...but I want a piece of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭RichT

It's about time 'The Crusty Gamer' got in on the action........

Just ordered the Prepare To Die addition (XBOX) for €18.75 from Zavvi.

GK1001 wrote: »
    I have no idea what you just said right there...but I want a piece of it:D

If you get as addicted to it as I've become you'll soon understand;) What platform are u btw? Xbox, PS3 or PC?
    RichT wrote: »
    It's about time 'The Crusty Gamer' got in on the action........

Just ordered the Prepare To Die addition (XBOX) for €18.75 from Zavvi.

Enjoy. If you get stuck don't hesitate to message me for help. I'll come to your aid and I'll drop my summon sign in your location. You'll recognise it by it's brilliant aura. If you miss it you must be blind! hahahahaha:D

Xbox same gamertag as here - At this moment I feel confident I will be able for the frustration of dieing alot and getting nowhere...I'll be interested to see at what stage I break and go for the wiki or online assistance

GK1001 wrote: »
    Xbox same gamertag as here - At this moment I feel confident I will be able for the frustration of dieing alot and getting nowhere...I'll be interested to see at what stage I break and go for the wiki or online assistance

Good luck to you. On my first playthrough I completed it offline, it was a total nightmare. I didn't realise what I was missing until I finally got my XBL account up and running. It opened up a whole new experience. If you do need help just take advantage of the summon signs. If you fancy a co-op partner you can also message me if you want. I understand you don't want to look up any online guides but I'd definitely check out the souls wiki forum if I were you. My username there is Tanklord.

• Advertisement

Played for a bit earlier, Knight and Warrior class weren't my cup of tea, but the "Wanderer" seems to fit the bill. Explored some of the lower places and get my arse handed to me several times. Found some robes, crimson ones ( I will admit, I was advised to go grab these ) but over all, I'm finding it very rewarding. Only against basic monsters, but I have strategies to beat them. Yet to come across the 2nd "Boss" on the narrow bridge, but I've searched far and wide before I go face it.

To any others wondering if you should get it, from the perspective of someone who's just started it. Yes. Go buy it and prepare to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Bought the game ages ago and then never went near it. Started playing it yesterday. I can see why people say it is hard, you do die alot. There is a great sense of acheivement thought when you have leveled up a bit, got better weapons and can now clear a section in a heart beat that you originally tip toed through sweating and cursing (can stomp through Undead Parish now).

So I don't find it that hard. Its not Contra hard. I do find it incredible confusing though. No idea where to go, no idea about most of the concepts (just discovered sin and covenants, so back to Google I'm afraid). I find this more frustrating that the difficulty level, I don't know why they couldn't have put more about the core concepts into the manual, that is hardly hand holding.

I saw the Future Press strategy guide is recommended, but also people complaining that a lot of the information is out of date after the 1.06 patch. Anyone have the guide and would they recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Damnit, have been holding off on this for a while as i just have far too much backlog and from everything ive read it takes A LOT of time. But this thread popped up again yesterday and after a bit of reading I said to myself "right next steam sale ill pick it up"..... 6 o clock yesterday what pops up on my phone? Item on your wishlist is for sale, even though i have like 8 other things on it i knew it had to be this. Some higher being has just got to be ****ing with me at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Zombrex wrote: »

I saw the Future Press strategy guide is recommended, but also people complaining that a lot of the information is out of date after the 1.06 patch. Anyone have the guide and would they recommend it?

The guide is great but all of the weapon and armour stats are now redundant like you say.

The wiki here: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/ has everything you'd need from basic concepts to PVP builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just got started.

Defeated the first boss on my second go (though the 50% drop attack helped).

Then spent the next 2 hours getting killed by the 1 skeleton in the graveyard of the second area...
    This game is HARD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The Graveyard/Catacombs wouldn't be advised when starting out! The direction you should go is Undead burg. To get there, face the bonfire in firelink shrine in the direction where the graveyard is, turn right from the bonfire and you should see a path along the cliff. Follow that route and you'll be on the right track

To know it's the right way, once you follow the path up you should see these undead soldiers with armor, one guy will also start throwing firebombs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Anyone know what do the Dark Souls community think about using FAQ/Walkthroughs etc? Is it considered cheating? It seems to me that the game would be very hard if you went it completely alone, but I sometimes wonder was that the point? Some of the walk throughs make it quite easy (after reading IGN's walk through I cruised through The Depths except for the dragon boss).

Have the developers themselves ever expressed an opinion on how they imagined the Souls games to be played? Did they mean for it to become this massive community driven experience of collective knowledge and help, or do they consider that missing the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Zombrex wrote: »
    Anyone know what do the Dark Souls community think about using FAQ/Walkthroughs etc? Is it considered cheating? It seems to me that the game would be very hard if you went it completely alone, but I sometimes wonder was that the point? Some of the walk throughs make it quite easy (after reading IGN's walk through I cruised through The Depths except for the dragon boss).

Have the developers themselves ever expressed an opinion on how they imagined the Souls games to be played? Did they mean for it to become this massive community driven experience of collective knowledge and help, or do they consider that missing the point?

When the game first came out people would be sharing what they have learned about the game and so on, which i think is ok. But now that everything is known about the game all the info is compiled on the Dark Souls wiki and it just doesn't feel the same looking at that as it was sharing your experience with other fresh faced adventurers.

I played through the game just from sharing tips on this forum and doing **** myself. I missed alot of item and one of the optional area's of the game. I think you should play through the game without any walkthrough or FAQ as they just ruin the experience. The second playthrough is when you check the FAQ and see all the weapons and armour you missed and search for them. In my humble opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I look at FAQs for gear and general pointers on game progression as well as using it to help figure out what all the stats meant. The FAQs and Wikis are part of the game.

That said, playing through the areas blind and figuring out bosses is just so satisfying. Save spoiling the game completely for NG+ but don't be afraid to look for help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I don't think it's that frowned upon if you do look for help, it's understandable.
    I was looking for that basement Key door for ages to go to the Lower Undead Burg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So... I accidentally
    killed the merchant in the Burg...
    Sweet sword drop though!
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So... I accidentally
    Sweet sword drop though!

Could've killed worse. Missing him is not so bad.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So... I accidentally
    Sweet sword drop though!

I plan on doing the exact same thing
    so I can make myself a nice occult uchigatana for my faith build:)

Can ask about the importance of NPCs and what happens if you attack them?

So I put in my first couple of hours at the weekend and had my first moment of losing a sh1tload of souls by not getting back to my body...man that p1ssed me off.
    I can see I'm going to like this though. Liking the message left idea even if some are garbage.

One question...is there a continual decision to be faced in going back to rest and level-up/upgrade vs having all the baddies respawn to get back to where you were or does this become inconsequential as you level up?

Gone with the pyromancer...the flame is pretty good at getting me out of deep sh1t.

P.S. It's not a game you can just quit mid-game when you're missus asks you to pop out to the shops is it? I was a grumpy [EMAIL="bast@rd"]bast@rd[/EMAIL] for a couple of hrs after that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

As you level up, having to clear enemies and losing souls becomes less of a big deal. Even more so as you open up shortcuts.

Quitting mid-game isn't too bad. If you find a quiet spot and save and quit, when you reload, the enemies are reset. Although on bosses or when you've been invaded it's not quite that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

the game does get easier in a way as you level up.Some sense of achievement when you finish it:pac:

And remember, levelling up is all well and good but upgrading your equipment is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

marko93 wrote: »
    Can ask about the importance of NPCs and what happens if you attack them?
    They are there for a reason, to sell items or magic. If u attack they'll defend themselves and wont reappear again during that playthrough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

You need to weigh the risks and benefits of attacking NPC's too. Like if you REALLY want a particular item they drop (e.g the Uchigatana). Unless it's a specific item you can sometimes get these weapons/items elsewhere. For example Shiva of the East sells the Uchigatana and it's obtainable relatively early in the game to buy from him.

The risk is always losing their services, the Undead Merchant in the burg is always good for stocking up on Firebombs if you need them as he is the only merchant that sells them.

@GK101: It's an ok game to just leave it if you have to (unless you are being attacked by a boss or invaded). Just quit the game and when you reload you'll be back where you where and all enemies you killed will still be dead.

Advertisement