Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

It was happening too often and too consistently to be lag, the rest of the fighting I found wasn't laggy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

It was happening too often and too consistently to be lag, the rest of the fighting I found wasn't laggy at all.

It's definitely lag, the Dark Souls netcode is terrible. To properly pvp in the souls series means you have to anticipate where someone will be rather than where they seem to be. The lag stabs look so bad as they will register instantly but the player will often show well behind where they actually are.

There are no region restrictions for people with the same version of the game so you can often come up against Asian players as the Japanese playerbase is quite big. This of course makes the lag much worse as most of them know how to use the difference in ping and ****ty netcode as a tool to bullsh1t it up with "lagstabs".

Check out EGWF's youtube video's. He goes into a lot of detail on the pvp mechanics and will help and explain a lot of what goes on:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhantomEWGF/videos?flow=grid&view=0

You're probably right, that backstab issue only happened badly with one invader to be fair, but it still wasn't the only reason why I suspected he was hacking though.

I'v no issues at all when someone gets a genuine backstab in, but this player was getting them left, right and center (during a jumping roll, when standing infront of you etc). Sure enough he barely had one star on his rep.

As I said, its the only let down of the game is where some players can easily hack the game where most players are genuine and put the hard work into their character. Reminded me of the old days of Diablo and trying to find someone for a legit duel on Multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Lagstabs can be crazy, i've had one where i was slinged back 20 feets into a blade, favourite was the forest after alvina, i reversed back up 2 flights of stairs into a BS. If i ever come up against an asian or aus connection i usually stay well away and switch to a spear.

Yep same, the guy backstabbed me while I was in mid air during a running jump roll. I was staring at the screen in disbelief :D

Strangely enough I haven't been invaded by a Japanese or Austrailian player yet (did co-op with a Japanese player though). Any of the players iv encountered that came across as suspect were Russian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

The online is sh1te,just played off-line(same with demon souls)all the time.If you need some help with the harder bosses there's normally an npc nearby.

If I want to be trolled online i'll go play Call Of Duty and get shot by little fuktards hiding in corners with shotguns:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Beat O+S this evening, jaysus that was tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Only had this game a week and already I'm obsessed with it..I usually have little to no time on weekdays for gaming yet I've managed to squeeze in 15 hours over the past 6 days. The combat, world design, atmosphere, enemy design, art style, etc. everything about it is just brilliant

I've been taking it slow so far with plenty of practising to get the hang of combat, I found it simple enough up the the bell gargoyles but after many failed attempts I've managed to ring the bell. Any advice on where to go next? I've been trying to get by without following any walkthrough but I've tried a few different areas and quickly realised I was nowhere near ready to take them on yet. I know the 2nd bell is in the depths or something but I can't seem to find any way down other than the New Londo Ruins which I'm guessing isn't the right way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Harps wrote: »
    Only had this game a week and already I'm obsessed with it..I usually have little to no time on weekdays for gaming yet I've managed to squeeze in 15 hours over the past 6 days. The combat, world design, atmosphere, enemy design, art style, etc. everything about it is just brilliant

I've been taking it slow so far with plenty of practising to get the hang of combat, I found it simple enough up the the bell gargoyles but after many failed attempts I've managed to ring the bell. Any advice on where to go next? I've been trying to get by without following any walkthrough but I've tried a few different areas and quickly realised I was nowhere near ready to take them on yet. I know the 2nd bell is in the depths or something but I can't seem to find any way down other than the New Londo Ruins which I'm guessing isn't the right way?

Alot of people get stuck and don't know where to go after the Gargoyles. You need to go back to where you met Solaire for the first time just before the Dragon bridge. There is a door before you cross the bridge that leads to the depths. The key is on a corpse in front of the gargoyle church

Thanks, I was actually down there before beating the gargoyles but saw boss warning messages at the fog door so carried on past it, haven't been there since so forgot all about it. Another boss to prepare for then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Thanks, I was actually down there before beating the gargoyles but saw boss warning messages at the fog door so carried on past it, haven't been there since so forgot all about it. Another boss to prepare for then?

Oho... Yes indeed.

A tip on the Bell Gargoyle without giving too much away is you should get yourself the Drake sword. It will make the fight much more easier.

Yep the fog door in the Lower Undead Burg contains a boss (a tricky one at that) so I would advise to get yourself levelled up a few more and get yourself a nice armor set and shield. Also plenty of people leave summon signs around that fog gate so id summon some help.

Beat that boss easily enough with someone else's help, into the depths now and I've just been cursed by them frog things :(

I was actually getting on well but fell down a hole and got surrounded, 25000 souls down the drain and half my health gone

If you know how, go back to the Undead Asylum (starting area) and trade a cracked red eye orb for 2 purging stones with Snuggly the Crow. Should sort out the curse.

Or Oswald of Carim (guy appears at bottom of belltower after defeating Gargoyle and ringing the bell) sells them for about 3,000 souls

The woman in the sewer tunnel (the one to take to get to Undead Burgh, all the way down the other end of the tunnel) also sells the item to remove curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Beat that boss easily enough with someone else's help, into the depths now and I've just been cursed by them frog things :(

I was actually getting on well but fell down a hole and got surrounded, 25000 souls down the drain and half my health gone
    Has happened to everyone at some stage. You can get the curse removed by
    buying a stone form the merchant at the bottom of the tower at the Garlgoyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

penev10 wrote: »
    Has happened to everyone at some stage. You can get the curse removed by
    buying a stone form the merchant at the bottom of the tower at the Garlgoyles.

I have actually never been cursed by the frogs, cleared the whole depths area on my first attempt even after falling down the hole. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I have actually never been cursed by the frogs, cleared the whole depths area on my first attempt even after falling down the hole. :cool:

no one likes a person who brags ;)

happened to me on myfirst time :(
    i went explouring, as i like to that in games like this
    and saw this frog thing jump around
    i was like, " ya i can take him no prob" then bam
    he hits me once i die and get cursed
    all my souls gone and half heath gone, took me hours to find out how to get uncursed
    also when i found out how, i had to gain enough souls to buy the bloody thing haha set me back quite abit, raged like mad :P i love this game :o

Thanks for the help again, got it sorted and managed to clear out the whole depths area without dying so didn't even lose my souls in the end, really tense trying to take down the frogs without dying knowing my souls were just around the corner somewhere

Gaping dragon now :(

Thanks for the help again, got it sorted and managed to clear out the whole depths area without dying so didn't even lose my souls in the end, really tense trying to take down the frogs without dying knowing my souls were just around the corner somewhere

Gaping dragon now :(

Gaping dragon is really easy. I'd wear as light armour as possible to keep below the 25% weight for that fight. He has a lot of health so it could take a while to whittle it down. Specifics tactics in spoilers, dunno if you want to just do it yourself.
    When he does his running attack just get to his side and you can't get hit. Attack him when he stops. When he rears back he's about to use his magic attack/slam attack (can't remember what it is exactly but it's an AoE attack), just get as far away as you can. Turn and leg it anywhere.

• Advertisement

Ill try him a bit myself and see how I get on before checking any guides, I was finding him easy enough until he just one-shotted me with his tail so I suspect its just practice in knowing when to get out of the way. My tactic so far on bosses has been to practice by being summoned into other peoples games, relatively risk free and helps me learn their attack patterns

I remember my first fight with the Gaping Dragon, cut scene started and I was like: " Awh look at the little cute lizard coming over th...... OH MY GOD IT'S A ****ING HUGE DRAGON! ".

Tips on fighting him:
    When he slams his head down and stays still for a few moments, then is a good chance to strike. Hit the head about twice and then move to his side where he will do a charge and will stay still again for a few moments. This is when you go behind and attack his tail

You can summon Knight 'Sunbro' Solaire to help in the fight too. He makes good distraction for you during the fight to get hits in. I'd try it yourself a few tries though as a hollow, the Depths are notorious for invaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Can anyone explain to me how to access the DLC?

I'm on my second playthrough, and on the first, I was able to get the broken pendant from the golem in Sens, but had no idea what it was meant to be used for. Now, on my second playthrough, I rescued Dusk from the golem and have fought my way back to Sens fortress. The golem is still there, but when I kill him I get no pendant drop?

Am I meant to return to darkroot basin first to talk to Dusk again, or is there some other task to accomplish first?

I'd probably talk to her, when you talk to her it also triggers her armor set at the end of the basin. So id try:
    1) Talk to her after defeating the Golem
    2) Get her armor set (reload game if it doesn't appear)
    3) Go to the Dukes Archives (I think you may be confusing Sens Fortress and Seath the Scaleless' area of Dukes Archives?)
    4) Kill Golem and see if you get Broken Pendant
    5) If you get it, go back to where the Golem was in Darkroot Basin and hopefully the portal will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Cool, thanks for that, and yep I did confuse Sens with the Dukes Archive!

Sif down. Went into the Painted World there but have to stop playing for the time being.

so lads i finally got back into this game now
    completed it before but decided to buy it again because i liked it

anyhow
    im sl1
    started a new character

im not hollow, i restored my humanity
    and yet i dont see any white summons anywere (or gold for that matter)
    im on xbox

im currently doing the top bell at the moment about half way too it just beat the tarius demon thing
    but normaly their would be loads in the undead burg place? is that what its called the top area of the undead skeletons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

anyhow
    im sl1
    started a new character

im not hollow, i restored my humanity
    and yet i dont see any white summons anywere (or gold for that matter)
    im on xbox

im currently doing the top bell at the moment about half way too it just beat the tarius demon thing
    but normaly their would be loads in the undead burg place? is that what its called the top area of the undead skeletons
    About 2 weeks ago there was a lot of activity online but it all seems to have died off again. I got summoned a few times yesterday alright after about an hour of messing around the undead burg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

anyhow
    im sl1
    started a new character
    At SL1 you dont have a great range of SLs to summon. Maybe try get to SL10 and you should see more.

• Advertisement

ok i lvled up abit
    for got about sl range
    but now its saying failed to summon for everyone -.-

Advertisement