Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,570 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

theUbiq wrote: »
    Sorry if that was not clear; I can help with either... About to start new Demons souls playthrough.

I think the servers for Demons Souls were turned off so there is no more online with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I think the servers for Demons Souls were turned off so there is no more online with that?

No, they're still online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Yo sheehy83,

They're still online as Tommy_NDX has stated so I'd be more than happy to help you. What levels have you done?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,570 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sound man, I only have 1_1 completed (embarrassed face), so think il start again with a new character. My internet is crap at the moment so not online much but add me on psn.

Danonino. wrote: »
    Your probably gonna love it. Personally I found it hard because it really gives you next to no signposting. Its easy to get lost or spend too long attempting to go a way that is close to impossible with current items. If you find a route filled with enemies that seem impossible to defeat usually you are going the wrong way. The fighting and exploration is amazing, and the lore/story is also awesome. You will get next to no cutscenes and dialog and instead piece it together from items you find.

Enemies and bosses (except one maybe two) are all brilliantly designed, you can avoid/block pretty much every attack thrown at you and they all have a weakness either in another weapon choice or an opening when fighting them. You will end up knowing each enemy attack off by heart and how to counter them, this will come from either taking it very slow and paying attention or dying.... a lot.

Don't feel like its cheating to ask for directions/advice here or from a wiki or to summon help with a difficult boss. The game can really leave you proper lost :D all part of the fun.

Cheers for the game insight. Did a bit more reading online over the weekend, f**k it with all the reading I could actually be playing the game. Gonna pick up a copy this week, no doubt I'll be back in here soon trawling through pages for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Would anyone like to give me a hand with O&S? Playing on NG on PC at SL1.

EDIT: Got them in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I managed to kill Smough and Ornstein on my first attempt yesterday :) Well, to be 100% truthful 'I' did feck all; I summoned another player at the bonfire before the bosses and then Solaire in the hall outside after the summoned player had taken care of the Royal Sentinels. In the fight itself, I had read that the skinny dude should be killed first, to make the second fight easier, but while Solaire and I were matching up to him (maybe got one hit in there) the summoned player had already killed fatty! During the second fight, despite running about and doing very little, I almost died a few times, while Solaire and the summoned player did ALL of the fighting - I think I got about three or four smacks of Quelaag's Furysword in while the boss's back was turned, that's it. I did so little and yet was so relived when the fight was over, as I had heard how tough it was. Being able to summon players is so great.

I did kill Sif by myself last night, I'm now about SL50 with half decent gear, so it was surprisingly easy - I had tried a load of times less than a week ago and was spanked each time, but went through Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo since and really upgraded my equipment, made all the difference. Then revisited Blighttown to meet the pyromancy trainer I missed the first time, and by the time I logged off last night I had killed the Ash Lake hydra, very simple battle where I hid in a hollow tree trunk and sniped him with my Lightning Bow +1.

So my preferred gear at the moment:

Lightning Spear +4 or Quelaag's Furysword +5
    Lightning Bow +1
    Pyromancer's Glove +11
    Gargoyle Helm +5
    Elite Knight Armour +7, Elite Knight Leggings +7, Elite Knight Gauntlets +7
    Wolf Ring and Havel's Ring
    Fire Ball and Heavy Soul Arrow (just bought the great fire ball spell too but haven't used it yet)

Not sure of my stats but have placed most of my points into Vit and End, am thinking the rest are Attunement 12, Strength 19, Dex 20, Intelligence 13 and Faith 8. I was hoping to boost Attunement at some point to have three spells to choose from, boost Dex further and then boost Intelligence to be able to use some of the cool offensive spells.

How does this build sound?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Quick update:
    I still stink at this game.
    Tried to kill the Hydra last week.
    Got killed by the ice golems x 2
    Got killed by Hydras Water Projectiles x 3

Put game away for another few months til my self respect grows back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I bought this game last year and only started getting into it recently. Easily one of the best games iv ever played and a shame I looked over this for a while.

It's so easy to get absorbed into it and how they tell you nothing at all on what to do is refreshing change over being babied in other games. I'v probably no where near completed the game and I can definitely say ill be getting Dark Souls 2 when it's released.

The co-op, while frustrating at times to actually try summon your friends, is a great 'jolly' fun to engage in :) ah hahahah (Knight Solaire you jolly b@stard, thank you)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ionapaul wrote: »

Not sure of my stats but have placed most of my points into Vit and End, am thinking the rest are Attunement 12, Strength 19, Dex 20, Intelligence 13 and Faith 8. I was hoping to boost Attunement at some point to have three spells to choose from, boost Dex further and then boost Intelligence to be able to use some of the cool offensive spells.

Unless you intend getting your INT to 36+ I wouldn't bother as the spells wont do enough damage to make them worthwhile.

You're going to need to replace those weapons soon and you may regret spreading your stats across so many attributes. Unless you go for a Greatsword of Artorias build.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

penev10 wrote: »
    Unless you intend getting your INT to 36+ I wouldn't bother as the spells wont do enough damage to make them worthwhile.

You're going to need to replace those weapons soon and you may regret spreading your stats across so many attributes. Unless you go for a Greatsword of Artorias build.

You could push strength to 30 and dexterity to 45 and use magic buffs on your weapon.. get any sword and upgrade it to +15. With dex that high you could use a bow for ranged attacks. It should be fairly powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I managed to kill Smough and Ornstein on my first attempt yesterday :) Well, to be 100% truthful 'I' did feck all; I summoned another player at the bonfire before the bosses and then Solaire in the hall outside after the summoned player had taken care of the Royal Sentinels. In the fight itself, I had read that the skinny dude should be killed first, to make the second fight easier, but while Solaire and I were matching up to him (maybe got one hit in there) the summoned player had already killed fatty! During the second fight, despite running about and doing very little, I almost died a few times, while Solaire and the summoned player did ALL of the fighting - I think I got about three or four smacks of Quelaag's Furysword in while the boss's back was turned, that's it. I did so little and yet was so relived when the fight was over, as I had heard how tough it was. Being able to summon players is so great.

I did kill Sif by myself last night, I'm now about SL50 with half decent gear, so it was surprisingly easy - I had tried a load of times less than a week ago and was spanked each time, but went through Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo since and really upgraded my equipment, made all the difference. Then revisited Blighttown to meet the pyromancy trainer I missed the first time, and by the time I logged off last night I had killed the Ash Lake hydra, very simple battle where I hid in a hollow tree trunk and sniped him with my Lightning Bow +1.

So my preferred gear at the moment:

Lightning Spear +4 or Quelaag's Furysword +5
    Lightning Bow +1
    Pyromancer's Glove +11
    Gargoyle Helm +5
    Elite Knight Armour +7, Elite Knight Leggings +7, Elite Knight Gauntlets +7
    Wolf Ring and Havel's Ring
    Fire Ball and Heavy Soul Arrow (just bought the great fire ball spell too but haven't used it yet)

If you're planning on levelling up I'd concentrate on two out of 3 from Str,Dex and Int. I think going both Dex and Int would be your best option as you could have a character that's good at using fast weapons+bows/crossbows and can also do decent sorcery damage.

What platform are u playing on? If you're on Xbox I can help u out if you're planning to stay around SL50. I'm currently having great fun Sunbroing with my SL51 Channeler build. I was in Anor Londo for quite some time yesterday before moving onto the Forest to help guys beat Sif and later to New Londo to help with the 4 kings. I've also got a SL80 dex/faith build that can help.

Any recommendations of where to go after completing Anor Londo (and the Painted World of Ariamus)?

And what weapons should I move onto from my Lightning Spear +4 and Quelaag's Furysword; I've Dex 24 and Strength 19 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Got kellogs furry sword to +5 and have 10 hummanity on your counter and that should get you through alot if not all of the game PVEwise.

Painted world is a good place to go next.

finally decided on a run with a base character, ok i maxed alot of the weapons and the armour was all +9 but bloody hell, S&O wre bloody tough, especially as i wanted smough first to get the leo ring. god bless the ascended pyro glove+5.

My current decked out character:

- Gold Hemmed Armor set
    - Crest Shield/Dragon Crest Shield (depending on the opponent uses more magic or fire)
    - Demon Spear: Has low stat requirements for my mage with decent damage output. Also the ability to block + attack
    - Pyromancy Flame +8: Plan to upgrade this next
    - Talisman: Basic Talisman at the moment
    - Spells: Chaos Fireball, Fire Orb, Fireball, Lightning Spear, Wrath of the Gods, Replenishment, Great Heal + either Tranquil walk of peace or Magic Barrier.

Currently working my way through Sen's Fortress. Want to get my attunement up another level and then increase Vitality next to wear the Dusk Crown ring.

Can anyone recommend any weapons for primarily magic users? The Demon Spear is useful for the moment but can't see much of an option for it later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Put game away for another few months til my self respect grows back.....

I don't mean to sound harsh here but if you keep that attitude you will never ever finish the game and that's the truth. In the overall scale of things the Hydra is a very tame encounter but this is Dark Souls. Death is frequent and unrelenting. Self respect is stripped down until you are hollow and accept death to be as natural as resting at a bonfire. However you will earn it back and that's the entire point. Stick it out, keep going and you will get to enjoy the most rewarding experience in gaming. Don't become a soul of a nameless soldier! ;)

The hardest thing about the Hydra is trying to avoid the water attacks up until you reach the lake. Once you get to the lake just stand by the body in the water with the Knight armor set and keep blocking the head attacks then attack before they go back to make another attack. Rinse & repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

And what weapons should I move onto from my Lightning Spear +4 and Quelaag's Furysword; I've Dex 24 and Strength 19 at the moment.
    Your only 1 STR away form being able to wield the Black Knight Sword. Or maybe the Black Knight Halberd two-handed?

The only problem is acquiring those weapons requires a luck drop. The Silver Knight Spear is a more likely option but not as powerful.

Got kellogs furry sword to +5 and have 10 hummanity on your counter and that should get you through alot if not all of the game PVEwise.

Painted world is a good place to go next.

finally decided on a run with a base character, ok i maxed alot of the weapons and the armour was all +9 but bloody hell, S&O wre bloody tough, especially as i wanted smough first to get the leo ring. god bless the ascended pyro glove+5.
    Just finished the Painted World yesterday, so still have to choose where to go next; I'm guessing either New Londo or the Catacombs. Are either worth doing ahead of the other?

I won't have the time for NG+ and will move onto other unplayed games once I complete my current playthrough, so don't need to do anything with an eye on future play.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Do seath i'd say next?

• Advertisement

I went to the Catacombs, probably most of the way through at the moment, have found two bonfires but no boss yet. I believe it is the Tomb of the Giants after that?

Yep. Pinwheel is first boss and then you get access to Tomb of the Giants. It's dark so make sure to have a cast light spell or if you were lucky to get a Skull Lantern from one the Necromancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Found a nice tip for bosses with coop npc's, summon and run like mad to the fog door, if you get thru before the summons arrives, the boss never gets the health buff for the coop char. Worked with 4 kings and queelag, didn't try with s&o.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Started a new character there yesterday. Playing as a sorcerer and my god they're powerful. Took out the Bell Gargoyles in maybe 15 secs or so using the heavy soul arrows. Get the impression though they'll be useless in PvP, seem very easy to dodge.
    I went to the Catacombs, probably most of the way through at the moment, have found two bonfires but no boss yet. I believe it is the Tomb of the Giants after that?

You could go to Lost Izalith and get the Sunlight Maggot (head gear). If you're playing a melee/tank character you'd have to use the Skull Lantern in place of your shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

just got this game so late to the show!

good to see its as hard/sh1t/annoying as demon souls.

The graphics show no improvement at all and the target lock still sucks occassionaly.

its getting repetitive doing the same level over and over again.does it open up/improve after undead burg? can you go do a different level like you could in demon souls or is it more linear?

Im hoping it improves to justify a 3k + thread!:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,735 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The graphics show no improvement at all and the target lock still sucks occassionaly.

We're at the end of this generation. Graphics won't get much better until the move to the next generation of consoles.
    its getting repetitive doing the same level over and over again.does it open up/improve after undead burg? can you go do a different level like you could in demon souls or is it more linear?

It does open up. I was stuck in the Burg for a while. You shouldn't have trouble with the
    Taurus Demon if you deal with the 2 snipers, lure him out, climb the ladder, walk off and stab his head.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This game is so ****ing hard. I've played one stretch of the Undead Burg close to 30 times. What the ****. I'm only at the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Grimebox wrote: »
    This game is so ****ing hard. I've played one stretch of the Undead Burg close to 30 times. What the ****. I'm only at the start

I actually gave up on it because I couldn't beat a certain boss. Will go back to it soon, start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

What are you playing it on? If you're on PC I can lend a hand. Otherwise if you are having trouble with a certain boss or enemy may I suggest you pick up the Drake Sword.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Most games start off easy and then end up hard near the end. Dark Souls is the opposite.

In games like this, the start is the hardest. By far. You will die every few minutes.

Later in the game, you will go hours without dying. Your knowledge of the game mechanics and combat improves along with your equipment. At the start, you have neither.

By the end you know the attack patterns of enemies and have lots of health so they rarely challenge you. You also know how to abuse the bosses alot better after having fought alot of them.

Which spot is giving you trouble? Maybe we can help.

Advertisement