Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm about half way through the Undead Burg. My choice is to take on the Tauras Demon, which I haven't even gotten close to beating. Maybe took off 1/5 of its health the few times I tried. He actually one-shotted me the first time I fought him. The other path has a large knight with a massive sword. That guy is beatable. I came very close once but his long sword seems to get me from miles away with his lunge. Sometimes I just get unlucky and get picked off by the normal enemies on the way to him. I just get so mad if I die twice in a row without retrieving previous experience from your dead body. Whats the Drake sword? How do I even get weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm about half way through the Undead Burg. My choice is to take on the Tauras Demon, which I haven't even gotten close to beating. Maybe took off 1/5 of its health the few times I tried. He actually one-shotted me the first time I fought him. The other path has a large knight with a massive sword. That guy is beatable. I came very close once but his long sword seems to get me from miles away with his lunge. Sometimes I just get unlucky and get picked off by the normal enemies on the way to him. I just get so mad if I die twice in a row without retrieving previous experience from your dead body. Whats the Drake sword? How do I even get weapons?

Okay. The dark knight with the long sword is a rare enough enemy. When you kill him, he stays dead. He doesn't respawn like the rest and he drops good gear. There are a few dozen of them littered throughout the game. You can skip him and come back to him later when you have better gear.

The taurus demon isn't that hard when you know the best way to go about it. When you enter, turn around and climb the ladder and kill the two skeletons up here.

What you do next is, walk along the path untill you activate the boss fight and the taurus demon appears. Then turn around and run back to the ladder. He will follow you. Climb up it and then what you do is jump off the edge and attack on your way down.......like you did back at the beginning of the game with the asylum demon. This takes off alot of his health.

Run away from him to lure him away, then climb up the ladder to do it again. Simples. Depending on your weapon, you may have to do that a few times. Alternatively, you can slice and dice him up close as when you stand at his feet, he has trouble hitting you.

It seems like an exploit, but it really isn't. Think that ladder is there by accident? The game designers want you to use it. Quite a few bosses have gimmicks like this. Sometimes it's a ledge you can stand on etc.

When he's dead, you can advance. The next section has a dragon though. I would advise not trying to fight him yet :p Run past him or below him. You asked about the Drake sword. The dragon drops it when he dies or you cut off his tail. It's a good weapon but he's too hard to kill at your level. What you can do if you really want it, is go buy a bow and a few hundred arrows from the merchant in the undead burg and just take pot shots at his tail from under the bridge. Eventually his tail will fall off and you get the weapon.

You don't need to though. You can just avoid him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

What system are you playing on? Some of us can give you a hand if you tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

What system are you playing on? Some of us can give you a hand if you tell us.

PC. Is there much of a difference? I wish I was playing it on console. Framerate is very incosistent and theres nothing I can do about it

There are much harder bosses. You shouldn't need a co op partner yet. If you follow the ladder method on the previous page, you will be grand. :)

• Advertisement

Grimebox wrote: »
    PC. Is there much of a difference? I wish I was playing it on console. Framerate is very incosistent and theres nothing I can do about it

I can give you a hand so if needed on PC from tomorrow on, my GT is Hunter8842. Also to fix the framerate issue, get dsfix from here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix

DsFix greatly improves the frames as it unlocks it to 60 fps and also greatly inreases the graphics and general speed of the game.

Kirby should have mentioned that the bosses only get tougher with each Co-op partner, not that they are just harder on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

As Kirby said, for the Taurus Demon you should climb the ladder and then jump down and attack as you do. Make sure to dual wield your weapon as you do as dual wielding inflicts more damage. Then when you land run under his legs and sprint down the bridge, then back again until he jumps over and run under his legs. Rinse and repeat the drop down attack until he is dead.

Even if you decide to fight him on the ground, keep running under his legs and attacking his back. Make sure to dual wield again as it does more damage.

Best tactic for the Drake sword (TL;DR version) is getting Goldpine Resin and striking the dragon tail when he lands on the bridge (make sure to stay behind the left wall pillar in the middle of the bridge). Usually 3 hits of your weapon on the tail will get you the sword. The bow method is safe, but it costs souls for the arrows and takes a while & some patience for the damage to finally get the tail off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

got the drake sword there,christ its easy to get and make's it easier by a good bit.Just about to face the gargoyle demon...any tips ? I believe you can summon people to help you?

Im using a pyromancer and am concentrating in endurance/vitallity.Should I increase attunement too?

What armour should I be looking to use?

and while im at it
    RANT!!! wrote:
    FUK FUK,SH!T SH!T
    this game makes me wanna cry,tears started when i decided to put the disk in this morning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

got the drake sword there,christ its easy to get and make's it easier by a good bit.Just about to face the gargoyle demon...any tips ? I believe you can summon people to help you?

Im using a pyromancer and am concentrating in endurance/vitallity.Should I increase attunement too?

What armour should I be looking to use?

and while im at it

this game makes me wanna cry,tears started when i decided to put the disk in this morning :pac:

Summon folk by Reverse hollowing at a bonfire and seeing their summon sign. Usually placed before boss fog gates or at bonfires.

The drakesword makes the Gargoyle fight really easy. Just block and swipe. Cut tail off for the Gargoyle Axe but not as good as the Drake sword.

Attunement is very handy, especially for a Pyro. You don't need to focus on Intelligence as the MagicAdjust comes from upgrading your Pyromancy Flame. Upgrade some STR/DEX depending on the type of weapon you want.

Use any armor that suits your playstyle. What's good about the game is that it relies on how you play it and want to play it. you could have the "best armor" in the game but still get whopped by someone/something with barely any armor (I guess from PvP). You can find a set of Elite Knight Armor in Darkroot Garden which is always a good armor to start out with.

just got the lightning spear in sen's fortress but it doesnt seem to have any,well,lightning:D

do i need to bring it to andre the smith?

• Advertisement

When you attack enemies, you should see the electricity sparks surround them.

Spears are awesome weapons by the way. You can attack while holding block, leaving you safe.

Kirby wrote: »
    When you attack enemies, you should see the electricity sparks surround them.

Spears are awesome weapons by the way. You can attack while holding block, leaving you safe.

lol didnt notice the sparks..must check again!Have it at plus 3 too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

planning on picking this up again
    hows the xbox community going? is it still active? i was quite the noob in the game
    took me about 70hours to complete it :L and that was with help with most bosses :L

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Im on on xbox and it's still quite active. Get summoned fairly quickly (5-10mins) when I put the sign down, and there's usually a good few around in the usual spots before bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm getting towards the end of my first (and probably only) playthrough, about 65 hours in - I've killed Nito, The Four Kings and last night got Seath. I've got the Prepare To Die edition, and have the item I need to access the additional content; can anyone recommend these areas? Should I do them now, before attempting to get the final soul I need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

ionapaul wrote: »
    I'm getting towards the end of my first (and probably only) playthrough, about 65 hours in - I've killed Nito, The Four Kings and last night got Seath. I've got the Prepare To Die edition, and have the item I need to access the additional content; can anyone recommend these areas? Should I do them now, before attempting to get the final soul I need?

do the areas before you go for the final boss
    other wise you'll be on ng+ for the dlc areas
    and you said it your self your probably only play through haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ionapaul wrote: »

you can do bed of chaos if you want first, does not matter. you will be plenty powerful enough at this stage for the extra areas. you could also go to the lord vessel and farm the area before the final area for the black knight great axe and all the titanite drops. its also a good area for invasions/invading

does having a high humanity increase your drop rate of items?even when you're a hollow?

need to farm for a titanite slab

does having a high humanity increase your drop rate of items?even when you're a hollow?

need to farm for a titanite slab

Yup. The first humanity increases it by 50 points, each consecutive one adds smaller benefits. The benefits from humanity stop once you reach the 10 mark but you can buff the drop rate to max with the covetous Gold Serpent Ring or the Symbol of Avarice. And yes, it does work while you're hollow.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Titanite slabs are extremely rare to find, even with your item discovery at 410 (serpent ring and 10 humanity). You could be farming for hours and might not even find one. What level are you and what platform are you playing on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

is the add on worth the money.. am nearly finished my first play through, have put in over 100 hours now.. love the game can't wait for the next one later in the year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    is the add on worth the money.. am nearly finished my first play through, have put in over 100 hours now.. love the game can't wait for the next one later in the year..

To be honest I think you've answered your own question there! ;)

It's well worth the money so yes, do get it!

PandyAndy wrote: »
    Titanite slabs are extremely rare to find, even with your item discovery at 410 (serpent ring and 10 humanity). You could be farming for hours and might not even find one. What level are you and what platform are you playing on?
    level 71 and on ps3..need the slab to get my lightning spear to plus 5 stuck on anor londo boss fight
    EDIT:got one of the stray demon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

So decided to make a video today.

can I get ghost blade beyond+5?Need to have a curved sword at +10 to get quelaags fury blade..cant seem to find anything online

have gone to andre at the forge in dead parish but there's no option to modify my +5 blade...am i missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Twinkling titanite weapons won't go beyond 5, you'd need something like a falchion, scimitar or shotel.

Twinkling titanite weapons won't go beyond 5, you'd need something like a falchion, scimitar or shotel.

ah ok that would explian that so..

so got my lovely uchikatana to +10,what should i do with it next?bring it + 15? or can I get something done to it magicaly?

so got my lovely uchikatana to +10,what should i do with it next?bring it + 15? or can I get something done to it magicaly?

You have two options. The first is to make it into an Elemental/Magic weapon. Doing this means you won't get any parameter bonuses from it but they become quite powerful.

Option two, the one I suggest is that you make it into a +15 weapon and use your parameter bonus to the best effect. You then have the option to use resins and spells such as the Gold Pine, Charcoal and crystal/sunlight/dark moon blade to apply the affects of Fire/Lightning/Crystal/Magic along with your parameter bonus for a very very effective weapon. Oh, this is along with all the bleed it does too.

• Advertisement

thanks foxhole,just reading the upgrade wiki and its hard to know which way to jump with it!

Advertisement