Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choose Your Own Adventure - DISCUSSION THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

... watch out for falling pianos. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    ... watch out for falling pianos. :D

I was deliberately refraining from mentioning pianos ;)

Mahatma must be twirling the ends of his moustache as he ratchets up the tension...

I was deliberately refraining from mentioning pianos ;)

Mahatma must be twirling the ends of his moustache as he ratchets up the tension...

LOL. Sorry wavehopper - I couldn't resist. Your previous post about it still makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Goodoak

All - I am working on a slightly different version of the game. Just giving us a bit more of a solid outline to work from. I'm not positive exactly when I will have it ready but I wanted to let you know.

What I would call improvements I'm including:
    1. A form/template for posting including start and end times. Key notes. Item list.
    2. A quarantined, aka blocked off, fictional city that is a combo of Ireland and US - currently called Limmblin Falls.
    3. The main character has a specific goal other than to just survive.

Feel free to start the next story though as I don't want everyone waiting on me. Worst case we can try my outline for the one after.

• Advertisement

All - I am working on a slightly different version of the game. Just giving us a bit more of a solid outline to work from. I'm not positive exactly when I will have it ready but I wanted to let you know.

1. A form/template for posting including start and end times. Key notes. Item list.
    2. A quarantined, aka blocked off, fictional city that is a combo of Ireland and US - currently called Limmblin Falls.

Feel free to start the next story though as I don't want everyone waiting on me. Worst case we can try my outline for the one after.

Nice one Dakotayoda, Might I add to that we put in a rule that those writing put in the choices as follows.

1. The safest (not safe) outcome. This will let the next writer leave three open options again.

2. Danger. If the character is led into this option then the next writer is led to two death and one "safe" option.

3. Death.

And could the writers leave hints and clues (however subtle) into what the best options might be?

Goodoak wrote: »
    Nice one Dakotayoda, Might I add to that we put in a rule that those writing put in the choices as follows.

1. The safest (not safe) outcome. This will let the next writer leave three open options again.

2. Danger. If the character is led into this option then the next writer is led to two death and one "safe" option.

3. Death.

And could the writers leave hints and clues (however subtle) into what the best options might be?

I had to read that a few times before I understood it. It seems unfair on the reader, or will they know that the particular episode they are reading has two dead options instead of one?

Would that info be included at the bottom of the post? One of us for a while was putting his outcomes into the discussion thread but I don't think we can ask people to jump in and out of another thread to make sense of the actual story thread.

I think this will decrease the likelihood of getting stuck in one place. I'm sure it will take time to come up with the template and city (thanks for the efforts!), but I vote that straight away the next story sets out a specific goal other than to survive.

Running order is SmileyPaul is up next, then ChaseThisLight, then myself.

Before we start a new story, can we get a handle on Mahatma's approach? The only reason I'm not hopping made (rabbit pun) with the apparently arbitrary death outcome - is that I felt the story had got stuck.

As this is the second time I've thought that there was no way as a reader I could have figured out the death option, I wouldn't be bothered following another story (reading or writing) if I was going to get caught out like that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Before we start a new story, can we get a handle on Mahatma's approach? The only reason I'm not hopping made (rabbit pun) with the apparently arbitrary death outcome - is that I felt the story had got stuck.

As this is the second time I've thought that there was no way as a reader I could have figured out the death option, I wouldn't be bothered following another story (reading or writing) if I was going to get caught out like that.

Look, during the Zompacylpse it Rains Pianos :D:D

heres the options I snet Sungod
    Originally Posted by Mahatma coat
    You're next Lad

A) South: Safe, you will lose SOME of your group Including Eva but you survive

B) West: Death, too many people had the same Idea the outer ring of the city is teeming YOU die trying to start a Truck

C) East: Danger, You lose MOST of the group, but you & Eva survive and make it to the boat

I agree things had stalled out a bit wavehopper. It just got bogged down with more people/options we had to deal with. A reset was probably not a bad thing.

But - I don't think it's fair to blatantly try and trick people - UNLESS you provide the means of detecting the trick within the story. So - if you plan on being sneaky I'd recommend making sure you provide some way for the reader to catch the trick being played and it should be easily explainable after the fact.

I also don't believe random carnage should rule the story... True enough random stuff would certainly have to be dealt with but I'd like to make sure we maintain the fun of the story and not necessarily the 'accuracy' of a zpoc. And yes I typed that with a straight face... mostly. :p What does everyone think of that idears? It's most certainly up for discussion. I'd like a resolution though so it's not an ongoing issue for people.

Another also - I've had a similar thought as Goodoak on the idea of what happens if you pick a Danger outcome. Mine was that the next post would contain no safe options. Maybe 2 Danger and 1 Death or something. If we like that general idea, we can work out the details of how many safe/danger/death, then the Story Template could include a place to state the current 'status' of the story, ie danger or safe - if it's Dead well....no need to state that really. :D

I agree things had stalled out a bit wavehopper. It just got bogged down with more people/options we had to deal with. A reset was probably not a bad thing.

But - I don't think it's fair to blatantly try and trick people - UNLESS you provide the means of detecting the trick within the story. So - if you plan on being sneaky I'd recommend making sure you provide some way for the reader to catch the trick being played and it should be easily explainable after the fact.

Another also - I've had a similar thought as Goodoak on the idea of what happens if you pick a Danger outcome. Mine was that the next post would contain no safe options. Maybe 2 Danger and 1 Death or something. If we like that general idea, we can work out the details of how many safe/danger/death, then the Story Template could include a place to state the current 'status' of the story, ie danger or safe - if it's Dead well....no need to state that really. :D

I also think the idea of a status at the start of each chapter is a good idea and our "goal" should keep the character on the move.

I didn't mind so much that he got bogged down trying to help people (thats what heroes do) however i do see how that slowed the story. Perhaps if two safe or three "safe" options where picked in a row the next writer gets to throw in a random element. Or piano :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

i deffinitely think the format needs a shake up.
    i felt like my hands were tied as i had to go with the death option but also was sent how he died(starting the truck) so it takes some of the creative side out of writing the next part.
    so maybe when sending the options it should only be, Safe, danger or possible death
    also someone in the main thread said it was hard to beleive that the Z's had formed an alliance with the driver.
    ifi distinctivly put in the post he was barking mad, obviously he did not have an alliance with them, he was driving away from them escaping, but in his lunatics mind he thought he was leading them.
    surely his ramblings were enough to know he wasnt a rational human being.
    thought that bit was obvious:confused:
    oh and mahatma thats not how i think you look but i do think your a lunatic:D

SUNGOD wrote: »
    i deffinitely think the format needs a shake up.
    i felt like my hands were tied as i had to go with the death option but also was sent how he died(starting the truck) so it takes some of the creative side out of writing the next part.
    so maybe when sending the options it should only be, Safe, danger or possible death

oh and mahatma thats not how i think you look but i do think your a lunatic:D

Agree with all of this. I like the idea of possible death as this gives the writer a bit more scope. Especially when you can see no obvious or logical reason for the death. I just did not get how after days of hiding out everyone in the city had the same idea at the same time:rolleyes:

everyone had that Idea Days earlier, thats why so many infected are wandering artound the outskirts of the city, they all fled West while you were hiding in the School when you emerged you wandered directly into the horde.

Alrighty... here is what I threw together over the weekend. Certainly not a completely unique setup I know - but I think it may help keep us more directed. Please feel free to make suggestions and/or roast away.

This is absolutely NOT a final product and I am still working on a map for the city. This is just a description of a fictional city in a fictional country that resembles a more US-type city, specifically the one I currently reside in. That is where I need help - I need some international flavor to make it more of a combo.

The story setup:

The town of Limmerblin Falls has been placed under quarantine due to an as yet, unknown, highly contagious, strain of the flu or possibly rabies. The contagion has had previously unseen affects on human and animal hosts alike. Seemingly unexplained raised aggression, though not so much as considered to be insane or in a simple fit of rage, and a craving or hunger for human flesh accompanies other symptoms such as loss of intelligible speech, consistent fever of 104+ and a loss of motor skills. Infected subjects have been labeled as ‘undead’ but this has yet to be quantified as technically correct.
    The local government and other civil services have been rendered completely helpless. The federal government opted for a containment policy rather than immediate eradication, aka small-yield nuclear warhead deployment. They want to understand the contagion - what is it, what it does, and how it came to be. Once so-understood they plan to develop an anti-virus or other such means of immunizing or protecting the remainder of the world’s population.
    Present day finds a 30ft tall barricade surrounding the city and cutting it off from the outside world. Supplies are airdropped on a regular schedule to portions of the city that are being held by the living.

Ladies and Gents - welcome to Limmberblin Falls!

Limmerblin Falls
    Founded in 1749 by privateers of European origin, Limmerblin Falls today is a city of approximately 110,000 people which sits on secluded Scallop Bay. It considers itself a 'large village' while featuring 2 large hospital organizations and numerous other ‘acute care’ clinics. Stationed next to its small’ish regional airport is the 144th Fighter Wing of the Federal Air Wing . Stationed next door to that is a logistics and transportation brigade attached to the base.

Weather keeps things lively in Limmberlin Falls as all 4 seasons make an appearance during the year. Summers are warm and rather humid. Spring days can be quite rainy. Fall days are crisp and cool and some Winter days can plunge the thermometer well below freezing and bring inches of snow. The one constant - wind. All year round wind whistles through the city thanks to coastal breezes.

Banking, medical, light manufacturing, and shipping commerce are key factors of the city’s success. Financial institutions find Limberlin Falls’ low tax rate and relaxed financial laws very appealing and many large companies have offices and call centers located here.
    Light manufacturing firms in the city produce everything from electronics, plastics, paper and cardboard products, and there are also some small specialty manufacturers such as the famous Limmberlin Fire Engine Company - each Engine is assembled by hand and much sought after by Fire Brigades for their sturdy construction and reputation for being nearly indestructible.

Hunting and fishing are popular past times of the locals and visitors often come from miles away to enjoy the plentiful fish and game that inhabit the area. White tail and Mule deer, turkey, pheasant, fox, rabbit, squirrel, ducks and geese all frequent the area around Limmerblin Falls and you might even see some in the city parks.

Key physical features
    Callahaman River - Flows West to East and inlets to Scallop Bay
    Limmerblin Falls - 3 stages. Fed by Callahaman River
    Scallop Bay - Leads out to Sea/Ocean
    Main Internation Highway 1 E/W - the C666. Many other smaller highways that lead in/out of the city.

Schools
    High Schools - 4
    Middle Schools - 6
    Elementary Schools - 14

Notable Locations - each location will be noted on the city map.
    Ashley Campbell Memorial Airport
    Harbor - Storage and Shipping
    Stamford Hospital
    Mumniva-Maxmillion Hospital
    WorldBank Regional HQ - Office Buildings. Several blocks of buildings
    Federal Air Wing Base: 144th Fighter Wing
    Federal Reserve Guard Vehicle Maintenance Depot
    Regional Penitentiary
    Limmerblin Falls College
    Prather University
    Mailbridge-Natural Museum and Zoo
    Blane Empire Shopping Mall. 2 other smaller malls. The Blane East and Stonebrook Mall.
    St Michael’s Catholic Cathedral
    Pet Stores x 8
    Pet Clinic/Hospital x 6. ER x 1
    Major Water towers x 15
    Swimming Pool x 8
    Golf Course x 4
    Limmberblin Falls Area and Convention Center
    Sporting Goods Stores - 2 large. Scheel’s Sports and Outdoorman’s Warehouse. 4 other specialized - outdoor camping, fishing, etc.
    Gun stores - 4 dedicated plus 10 Pawn/Trade stores that handle firearms.
    Large RV sales location
    World of Play - Amusement Park
    World of Wet Splash - Water Amusement Park

SO - what are we missing? What doesn't seem right? What needs to be added, changed, or removed? I'm sure there are some mucked up things as I had more than a few beers while working on this over the weekend... :D:D:D

Also - here is a link to a brief form/template I put together in google docs - unsure how to implement it as I can't figure out how to embed the form in a boards.ie forum post. But here it is...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dF9ZLTdBZ2txOGo0SUloNHVVRGZNSFE6MQ

If/when someone checks this out please let me know if you are able to view it. Not sure who can get to it for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

The story setup:

The town of Limmerblin Falls has been placed under quarantine due to an as yet, unknown, strain of rabies. (If Limmerblin Falls is on north west coast, could be down to fall out from Japans various melt downs.. dog stowes away in a cargo ship, first port of call... you guessed it!!)

The contagion has had previously unseen affects on human and animal hosts alike. Seemingly unexplained raised aggression, though not so much as considered to be insane or in a simple fit of rage, and a craving or hunger for
    human ANY flesh accompanies other symptoms such as loss of intelligible speech, consistent fever of 104+ and a loss of motor skills. Infected subjects have been labeled as ‘undead’but this has yet to be quantified as technically correct. just that, The Infected. Undead would presume that the dead can come back to "life as an Infected", where as only the living can be infected.
    My 2p's worth, nothing to add, more nitpicking than anything..

Excellent work!

• Advertisement

Also - here is a link to a brief form/template I put together in google docs - unsure how to implement it as I can't figure out how to embed the form in a boards.ie forum post. But here it is...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dF9ZLTdBZ2txOGo0SUloNHVVRGZNSFE6MQ

If/when someone checks this out please let me know if you are able to view it. Not sure who can get to it for sure.
    Checked it out there, works a treat..

Also, can you add me to the list of authors please?
    I have had thoughts on the direction in the past, but as a lowly lurker, kept schtum..

peatcass wrote: »
    Checked it out there, works a treat..

Also, can you add me to the list of authors please?
    I have had thoughts on the direction in the past, but as a lowly lurker, kept schtum..

No problem peatcass - consider yourself officially added. :D

1. DakotaYoda
    2. Mahatma coat
    3. SUNGOD
    4. SmileyPaul
    5. chasethislight
    6. wavehopper1
    7. deise go deo
    8. phill106
    9. Goodoak
    10. peatcass

peatcass wrote: »
    My 2p's worth, nothing to add, more nitpicking than anything..

Excellent work!
    Yes, very well done. Now all we need is a man with a mission:cool:

separated from his family by the arbitrary manner the wall was erected?

I have the man on a mission bit worked out. :D Just need to wrap up the map and some other city details and we'll get things rolling.

That being said - I have MY mission idea. Others are most welcome to workout whatever they care to.

I have the man on a mission bit worked out. :D Just need to wrap up the map and some other city details and we'll get things rolling.

That being said - I have MY mission idea. Others are most welcome to workout whatever they care to.
    I think this is very much your baby DakotaYoda. I for one am voting for you taking the lead on this. again very well done and thanks for all the hard work.

the one thing I would say is that if you gve people the option Not to die, most people will choose not to die,

DEATH is that, DEATH, theres no point in having a Death option if it dosent end in death.

the one thing I would say is that if you gve people the option Not to die, most people will choose not to die,

DEATH is that, DEATH, theres no point in having a Death option if it dosent end in death.

I hereby name this Get Out Of Death card the "Mahatma Clause".

Great work, Dakota.

Only other locations I can think of as worthy of noting is:
    Police HQ
    Central Fire Station (probably several, but one place will have most trucks for dispatch)
    Central Bus Depot (maybe the buses aren't running, could be useful to know where vehicles are stored)
    Local Govermment Buildings e.g. the meeting halls (I understand that the system has become helpless, but these buildings would be built to a highly secure standard).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Dak I was about to kick up a fuss about wanting the list to continue as normal and so I would be the author, but shiz man! you've outdone yourself again! I can't wait to see how this unfolds, if you need a hand with anything at all you know how to contact me :)

I see even though there's weapons stores there's no ranges for people to hone their skills.

300 metre long field with abutments every 100 metres, a concrete butts segment underground for control of the targets, easily defendable but so close to the sea would mean they would get incredibly foggy when the weather permits, could be an interesting position in one of our stories :)

Advertisement