Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been avoiding this....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

hey, I could have typed a "wise old woman" so just be thankful you only got the quotes :cool:
    Hey i'll always be "young"!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Hijack away- my thread hasn't seen this much action in ages:D
    b_p my aim is similar but want it done in about 2.15- but it depends on the day too- I'll pm you:D
    Anne I'll be the one hogging one of the portaloos at the start so I should be easy to spot:p- yeah PM me your number I should be up there early enough.
    And after you need to drink double the amount of Miller- you're taking on my share until next April:p

8.03 miles didn't get out for 12 yesterday and didn't want to do that much today- felt very good kept them around 10 min miles. It stopped raining as soon as I came home too!

4.03miles- change in plan- will prob do 2 maybe Friday.

I reckon i really can only log 10 miles of todays run:p
    Walked/ ran the last 3 miles. Lungs weren't my own today they belonged to an old woman, 80 a day smoker. Kept getting stitches and a real heaviness in my chest, but hey I knew I wasn't going to push myself so happy to have it over and done with- no medium tshirts left by the time I got back in but I'll get use out of the large one I'm sure;) My chip time was 2.20.xx 3 minutes slower than last year:D

• Advertisement

Lovely to meet you yesterday Madon, get that auld one to take her lungs back and give you back yours;). I think its better to have a teeshirt is too big than too small, at least you can wear one thats too big, wearing a teeshirt that is too small is a different matter!!:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Lovely to meet you yesterday Madon, get that auld one to take her lungs back and give you back yours;). I think its better to have a teeshirt is too big than too small, at least you can wear one thats too big, wearing a teeshirt that is too small is a different matter!!:D

Yeah a too big tshirt will come in more useful- hopefully next year I'll be back to medium!
    No aches and pains either and I didn't get out for a run yet so I know I didn't push myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good to hear no aches or pains; take it nice and handy and let them spoil you :D

4.02- first mile was into the wind and I found it hard to move! I was only going to do the block which is 2.24 miles (exactly!) but I felt goo at the 2 mile mark so headed down the beach for a mile and a half and back home to make it four. The last mile I ran in 11 mins:p I felt great after it though, and now I can dig into chocolate cheese cake without feeling one bit guilty:)

4.25 ran the second mile in 9.14 and the last mile in 9.07 and it didn't kill me:p again delighted I made the 4. Don't know whether to chance a 8 mile tomorrow or keep going with the fours maybe I'll just go with the flow and see what way I feel tomorrow.

• Advertisement

2.5 miles- got an email off runkeeper congratulating me for my fastest mile in a week (8.33) and my fastest average pace (9.03)! I was wrecked after it though!
    646.73 (Aim now is to get to 800 for the year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

madon wrote: »
    2.5 miles- got an email off runkeeper congratulating me for my fastest mile in a week (8.33) and my fastest average pace (9.03)! I was wrecked after it though!
    646.73 (Aim now is to get to 800 for the year!)

Good stuff, 800 you say...thats a good one to aim for. I'm well off that 1000 mile target myself!

Good stuff, 800 you say...thats a good one to aim for. I'm well off that 1000 mile target myself!

Ah sure we're only young ones we have plenty of years to hit the 1000- there is no rush on us:p
    6.11 this morning- I thought the loop we were on was 5 mile loop, turns out its 6:D Average pace was 10.34 so we took our time with it but in saying that its all I was able for!

Had man flu since the last run:rolleyes: Think I need to dose up on multi vitamins! Delighted I was back today 6.48 Mostly on the Boyne 10k route was worried I wouldn't be able for it but I felt (surprisingly) ok.

4.11- I ran the first mile like I was running from something (I was like a mad woman possessed!)- it was one of those runs where it feels good just to run, and as fast as you can for as long as you can- clears the head:D
    Ran the next 3 probably at near enoough full throttle for me at the moment, half the run was into a strong wind with rain that hurt- but it felt good to be out in it!
    So I've sorted out what I need to do until the end of the year anyway-
    for the next few weeks I need to concentrate on getting my body well and back to 'normal' so I need to keep running enough just to keep me ticking over (and keep sanity levels normal:p).
    Then mid November I'm going to start a plan for Bohermeen half in March- I'll probably do HH intermediate again. I liked it and found it really brought me on last year, so it hopefully will do the same again. I'll have a few weeks to play around with by starting mid November in case we have a crap winter!
    By then I'm going to have to decide whether or not to do a spring marathon or to leave it until Dublin next year and concentrate on shorter distance and getting the times way down. So hopefully I'll do next year what I should have done this year:o

Oct 13th 3.07 miles in 29m
    Oct 14th 3.07 miles not time
    Oct 16th 7.06 1.11.27 There was a stop in the middle for a couple of minutes that brought the time up didn't stop watch but it was the fastest longer than 4 mile run I've done in a while. Last mile was ran in 8.42 it near enough killed me!
    Oct 17th 4.02 first mile was sluggish but then I loosened and all was ok nice big long hill on this too!
    Oct 20 3.07 miles 28.23
    Oct 24 2.43 miles
    Thats it!

Madon, glad to see you are tapping away at the miles. The miles don't be long at adding up. Hope your keeping well!

Younganne wrote: »
    Madon, glad to see you are tapping away at the miles. The miles don't be long at adding up. Hope your keeping well!

Thanks Anne -yeah getting there, hoping to build the miles back up along wi the pace now and sure I'll be fighting fit by next Spring:)

Oct 28th 3.02 miles 29 mins- There is 3 mile out and back through the village that is on footpath and fairly well lit up. There is one dark bit where there is an extra long gap between street lights, the dog bent down to pick something up here (I thought it was a stick) only coming into the light I see its a dead rat, I tell him to drop it so he turns and drops it almost on my feet, well he got called every name under the sun eg you dirthy little ba5tard etcetc and I never legged it so fast home!
    Oct 31 5.09 46.05- this run felt very hard, I was going to cut it short but kept going, discovered my quicker pace was the cause so I was delighted!
    Nov 4th- 4.01 35.34- my ratcatcher kept making darts for the ditch along a stretch of road, was freaking me out with the movement coming from the ditch, roll on the hard winter to freeze all the rats!
    Nov 6th 4.91 - in 51.41 tough run my stomach wasn't the best. IBS playing up so cut the run short.
    Really need to get back in a routine. Think I'll start HH half marathon next week just so I have some structure again.
    Planning on heading to Malahide parkrun on Sat morning too.

aww:eek::eek::eek: i hate the creeping rustling ditches....its ruined many a good run, lucky i haven't been knocked down i jump so far out into the main road!!!

my dog has been caught rolling in dead rats, never lifted one for me though, i'd leave her where she stood!!!

Oct 28th 3.02
    Oct 31 5.09
    Nov 4 4.01
    Nov 6 4.91
    Nov 8 3.12
    Nov 10 4.24
    Nov 13 3.5
    Nov 14 3.82
    Nov 16 4.07
    Nov 19 3.25
    Nov 21 5.05
    Nov 24 4.17
    So thats what I've been doing. Up to the last two runs I felt like I was plodding along pep talking myself to get the distance done. Last two I really enjoyed.
    I need to up things from three days a week though.

• Advertisement

Why not follow Meno plans on the graduates thread...doesn't matter that you didn't do the marathon, just follow the weekly plans!!!
    He'll get you to Bohermeen in great shape!!!:D

Thanks Anne, had a read back and will go with it from next week, have a house full of sick kids at the mo so won't have run free luxury this week.
    wed 28th 4.17 miles. was fairly icy heading out, tide was in so ended up running up and down a half mile stretch of beach was surprised at how easy i clocked the miles thought it would be more of a struggle.

Dec 3 3.65
    Dec 5 3.01
    Dec 9 4.15
    Thought I'd get out loads this week, had a weeks hols but I think the fact that I had a week off with no real plans allowed me to hit a wall, I was just drained.
    Will hopefully start following Meno this week.
    Was in Belfast at the weekend and got a pair of 1080 v2's for £40, so with the money I saved from them I got a nice little leather (0% leather but it looks the part!) jacket, so I'm happy out! Can't wait for the spring now I'll look well smart in my orange runners and leathers:D

Dec 11 3.20 miles
    Dec 13 3.83 miles
    Dec 16 6.32 miles
    dec 17 2.76 miles
    Dec 16 run was a the wild goose chase 10k. Decided at the last minute to head to this with my running buddy, we also brought our dogs (we got permission first!) So myself and the dog both dressed as Santy arrived over to find no one else dressed up:o Two more Santys did turn up later on though. The course was changed as the roads were slippy so we had to do the 5k run twice (the 5k was an out and back course) so I wasn't really looking forward to it. So we took off (we started at the back as we had the dogs) and spent the first km running into ditches to stop us slipping and running around the walkers. So when we settled in we chatted and laughed for the first 5k. Between 5-7 I found draining and was tempted to walk, but just when I was about to we got to the turn and I kept going. W were shocked at the end to discover that we kept our pace under 9 min miles, I really thought we were slower. I really enjoyed this race, the atmosphere was brilliant and the soup and roll afterwards was very much appreciated. Chip time was 55.20.
    This mornings 2.76 was to loosen out my sore hips!
    I'm still not following a plan and I think I'm happy to just be running at the minute- I'll see what happens in the New Year.

Dec 18th 3.54- very cold miles.
    Dec 20th 3.01.
    Dec 24th 8.51- plan was 5 miles, I ran down to the beach and decided I might as well run on the extra half mile to make it 6. got back to the front of the estate and with all the running up and down streams to try cross I had gone over 6 so decided to make it 7 by running to the end of the road, got there and decided to go the block- I could have ran the block again. total 8.51 miles9.4 average pace.
    Dec 26 th 4.63- didn't know if this run with turn into a hungover walk, but it ended up clearing the hungover cob webs and was easier than I was expecting.
    Total 802.31.

Dec 30th last run if the year 5.04 miles.
    Bringing my years total to 807.35.

Jan 1st 4.04- I ran a mile of this along the beach watching two fishing boats coming in close to the shore. The beach was packed with people too and it was getting fairly dark. Twas a heartwarming welcome run to 2013, nice way to rid 2012 as well.

Plans for 2013 is that I'm not going to make any plans:D I'm just going to try run around 20 miles a week and hopefully get to the start line in Dublin in October.

:D:D:D Forgot to log my first mile of 2013- Goal mile in Stamullen this morning, which I done in a time somewhere between 13 and 14 minutes, I was pipped on the line by my 5 year old nephew:p I don't think I should log it in my yearly miles but I reckon I burnt enough calories in that mile to allow me eat a selection box:D

Was away with the family for a few days last week, so while they went swimming I went on the threadmill- first time ever so I was constantly moving the speed and the incline so i could run coomfortable.
    Wed 2nd Jan 4.48km (2.73 miles) at around 10 km per hour and 1% incline (I don't know how this compares to what I usually run) I get vertigo on/off things like escalators and lifts gets my head going, so getting off the threadmill and trying to walk out of the gym without looking drunk was a struggle!
    Thurs 3rd Jan 8km (5 miles) I chose a random programme so the incline changed between 0% to 4.8% and the speed again was on average 10 min km, towards the end I slowed down when it came to 4.8 incline.
    The heat in the gym killed me!
    Couldn't get out then until this morning 4.23 miles- really struggled with these, my legs felt really stiff and I ended up with a stitch, don't know if it was because I haven't ran in a few days or if I'm getting this flu thing that has everyone at work out sick.

Friday Jan 11th- 6.21 lovely run with a nice strong wind for half of it but sure I should be well used to that by now!
    Sat 12th 3.52.
    Mon 14th 4.52- was surprised how these built up ran them on a 3 mile loop and doubled up on a few stretches.
    Weds 16 2.55 miles- hip was a little sore so cut this short. Hopefully I wont end up in the physio, the cars in the garage, have a plumber on order for Monday and the washing machine is about to die, I'm going to will my hip to last another couple of weeks:eek:
    I'm still running with out a plan or any aims or targets but I'm happy to for the moment:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

madon wrote: »
    Friday Jan 11th- 6.21 lovely run with a nice strong wind for half of it but sure I should be well used to that by now!
    Sat 12th 3.52.
    Mon 14th 4.52- was surprised how these built up ran them on a 3 mile loop and doubled up on a few stretches.
    Weds 16 2.55 miles- hip was a little sore so cut this short. Hopefully I wont end up in the physio, the cars in the garage, have a plumber on order for Monday and the washing machine is about to die, I'm going to will my hip to last another couple of weeks:eek:
    I'm still running with out a plan or any aims or targets but I'm happy to for the moment:)

Lots of local races coming up our way over the next few months if you're looking for a target!

17th February 2013 Ras na hEireann Oldbridge

23rd February, Rehab 5km road race, Dundalk.

18th March 2013 St Vincent DePaul 5 km Road Race Drogheda

1st April 2013 Mountpleasant 5 km Road Race Dundalk/Mountpleasant

Patsy Kelly 5km Road Race, 20th April 6.30pm, Dundalk.

Advertisement