Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been avoiding this....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Wednesday 25th 10 mile- lovely run! My phone just switched off so I don't know my exact time but it was 1.41.??
    Couldn't get out until tonight and went for 4 mile again details are on my phone but I averaged 9.1 min mile. Need to speed this up!
    I've also decide to drag myself through the marathon, I think its like planning a baby there is never a right or wrong time to go for it so I might as well go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

madon wrote: »
    Wednesday 25th 10 mile- lovely run! My phone just switched off so I don't know my exact time but it was 1.41.??
    Couldn't get out until tonight and went for 4 mile again details are on my phone but I averaged 9.1 min mile. Need to speed this up!
    I've also decide to drag myself through the marathon, I think its like planning a baby there is never a right or wrong time to go for it so I might as well go now!

Wohoo...go girl.....week 6 of the marathon plan this week so for you!!!!
    your 4m @ 901 would give you a sub 4 marathon, so no need to speed this up, need to slow it down as a recovery run as you had done a 10m on wed.....

Younganne wrote: »
    Wohoo...go girl.....week 6 of the marathon plan this week so for you!!!!
    your 4m @ 901 would give you a sub 4 marathon, so no need to speed this up, need to slow it down as a recovery run as you had done a 10m on wed.....

Tried to slow down the 6 miles I ran tonight and ended up that Only one of them was over 10 min mile! Never thought speed would be my problem! I was reading meno's post from a while back about running slower to get your body burning fat etc so I know I have slow it down. Have two 3miles (but thinking of doing them at HM pace which I hope will be 9 min/mile and then hopefully 12 miles Sunday which I will aim for 10.45/11.00 min miles.
    Total miles- 10.16 (Wed) 4.03 (Sun) and 5.99 (tonight)

3 miles of torture! How come I can go out for 6/7/8/9/ etc miles and hardly break into sweat and faced with 3 miles I feel like walking after 1.5 miles:rolleyes: I wasn't even going fast average 9.5 min/mile! Even the dog was suffering!

this is just your body giving out to you;) ...and the little "Devils" on the shoulders that constantly make comments into your ear.:rolleyes:(or is that just for me:eek:).....make sure you are well hydrated as the heat is back so its kind of muggy again which makes for difficult running....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Yippie you've decided to do the marathon. I'll be following you with great interest as our running times are so similar. No marathon for me this year though. Best of luck with the training.

this is just your body giving out to you;) ...and the little "Devils" on the shoulders that constantly make comments into your ear.:rolleyes:(or is that just for me:eek:).....make sure you are well hydrated as the heat is back so its kind of muggy again which makes for difficult running....

I think it was a little bit to do with dehydration- I'm not great in the morning but will have to get very used to it! Plus a little to do with myself thinking I was on an 'easy' run- sure whats 3 miles to me now:p:rolleyes: Served me right for being so cocky:o
    Solobally8 wrote: »
    Yippie you've decided to do the marathon. I'll be following you with great interest as our running times are so similar. No marathon for me this year though. Best of luck with the training.

Thank you, will try explain every niggle, ache, pain, drop ofblood sweat and tears in great detail;)
    I don't know what time to aim for (I know I should concentrate more on getting it finished) but is 4.30 unrealistic, do you think?

This felt a bit better than yesterday morning:) Completed in 27.48 with the second mile in 8.44:D first time I felt comfortable running under 9 min/mile in months.

Plan was 12 mile- was doing 6 myself and a friend was joining me for the second 6 but I got the first mile done and was hit with cramps- decided to head back to where the car was coz there is public toilets, however they were locked up:( So I had to use the bush facilities:mad: I feel humiliated:( Anyway it left me that I wouldn't get 6 miles done before my friend came in so I went a more cross country route and got 4.81 miles in.
    So then the two of us set off for another 7 (.19!), we kept the pace nice and slow (very slow!) but I had to stop again (at McDonalds) and leg it into their toilet:mad:
    Got back to the car and we had done 7.85- so covered 12.66
    10.12/11.01/11.11/11.00/12.24/12.24/12.24/12.15/11.5/11.23/12.16/10.22/11.4Maybe it was a bit too slow but TBH if I wasn't meeting someone I would have gone home after the first mile.
    Had a great LSR last week and a really really bad one this week but I finished when I did feel so rotten so in a way I accomplished more on this weeks run. I'm going to have to sort this runner belly out though it seems to hit me a lot in the morning so will have to experiment with a few things- I wonder can I take Immidium (sp) before?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you eat before your morning runs?

• Advertisement

Do you eat before your morning runs?

I had porridge this morning- About 6.45 and started running around 8.
    I've tried different sort of flake type cereal too. I wonder should I try just toast and peanut butter? I do need to eat in the morning I can't function otherwise.
    I went to the toilet before I left too- thats annoying me more that it still came on.
    I was in Tescos and got some kind of rehydration powder thing so maybe dehydration could be the problem either- I don't think I could possibly get the amount of water I need into me before a run in the morning otherwise.

I had porridge this morning- About 6.45 and started running around 8.
    I've tried different sort of flake type cereal too. I wonder should I try just toast and peanut butter? I do need to eat in the morning I can't function otherwise.
    I went to the toilet before I left too- thats annoying me more that it still came on.
    I was in Tescos and got some kind of rehydration powder thing so maybe dehydration could be the problem either- I don't think I could possibly get the amount of water I need into me before a run in the morning otherwise.

Try get extra fluid(the non alcoholic kind);) in the day & night before the LSR and this will help you!!! I couldn't go for a long run without food either...usually porridge, but if time is against me i just have coffee & Toast

Going to really mix things around- don't know if i'm doing the right thing but I'm skipping onto week 10 of HH novices 1. Week 8 has a half marathon at the end- week 9 has a shorter LSR and we'll be on hols from Thursday for 9 days so planning to repeat week 9 twice- because of the shorter runs. Anyway legs a bit stiff this morning- my own fault i jumped in the car yesterday without stretching came home and sat all day watching Olympics (you would think I'd know better by now:rolleyes:) but they felt fine when I started running today.
    4.11 miles 9.10/9.24/9.43/10.04 (and 9.23 for the .11)

2.5 miles- should have been 7 but the dreaded cramps set in again:rolleyes: :(

With work and stuff only got a 3.25 run in yesterday mid afternoon- was very warm and had to stop with the dog after 2.5 for a paddle into the sea, once refreshed we ran the last 3/4 mile. Mile splits 9.42/9.27/9.47 Although the day was warm seeing the mile times is a bit depressing considering that if I want to PB the Dublin half and go under 2 hours I need to run 9.10 min/miles. Running those 3 miles yesterday I don't know how I'd manage another 10 at that pace never mind quicker:o

Today 15.17 miles:D longest run evvvver! I used one of the lemon/green tea rehydration things this morning in 500 mls of water, I also took an immodium, I was trying a gel on this run, also I'm on hols for the next two weeks and don't know when i'll be able to run, so really wanted to get this done and done well. Ran the first 4 miles on my own, then met a friend for the next 11- we met the worst of the hills between miles 4 and 8 at about 9.5 I took the gel which wan't too bad but it one of the ones that you don't need to mix with water, 10 miles we passed my Mam and Dad's who left water at the gate for us and away we went for the last 5. Around 13.5 I could feel my thighs starting to burn and was glad to hit the last mile- both of us were able to pick the pace up very slightly for this mile but I once I seen the 'finish' I knew I'd had enough:) Was happy with the run i felt so much better than last week and we went a little faster
    9.55/10.12/10.03/10.56/10.24/10.28/10.34/10.33/10.16/10.10/11.47/10.31/10.45/10.26/ 9.48
    At mile 11 we had stopped for water and a quick chat with the folks and I never stopped my watch so thats why that is way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Jeez madon that's great going. Forget what I said about our times being similar. I would never hold that kind of pace over 15 miles:) You're doing great!

Thanks solobally- I don't know if I'd do the full marathon in a 9.30 pace (60 secs quicker than the lsr)

Won't get out for much for the next week and a half so waited all day for the 'storm' to ease a bit and then grabbed my chance to get out. Legs were a bit stiff for the first couple of miles- I like to get out for a small run the day after lsr I find it loosens my legs but I was working long hours the last two days and didn't get out.
    So this evenings run was 7.85 miles
    9.52/10.06/10.46/10.41/10.31/10.08/10.02/10.03
    10.46 10.41 and half the 10.31 were into a strong wind with the next two with it on my back.

Was on hols and have been busy catching up on the washing to log:p
    I got in 2 by 3.11 miles on hols then I thought I pulled my hamstring playing basketball but it was fine after 2 days so must have just about saved it.
    Since coming back got a 4.51/3.53 and 8.16 not loads.

Hope you enjoyed the hols, the washing is all sorted and you can get back into the program...your LSR, make sure you are doing these slow enough:D

A 4.01- I was delighted to see the clock hit 4 miles!
    4.42 today nice enjoyable run- I was struggling at 3 miles but after a quick pee break I was raring to go could have happily added another 2/3 miles. Both averaging 10.30 min mile. I'm happy with the pace at the minute.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 4.12 and today 3 miles don't know exactly was probably a bit over 3. Really feeling the heat!
    613.9- don't think I'll hit 1000 miles this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Wednesday 4.12 and today 3 miles don't know exactly was probably a bit over 3. Really feeling the heat!
    613.9- don't think I'll hit 1000 miles this year!

Ah I hear you, I'm well off a 1000 for this year. Maybe I can carry some miles over to next year to give me a head-start! Whats up next for you anyway?

Ah I hear you, I'm well off a 1000 for this year. Maybe I can carry some miles over to next year to give me a head-start! Whats up next for you anyway?

Was wondering where you were! Didn't recognize you (but I think I'm on the right track:D)
    Half marathon next Saturday, no time goal:)
    Are you doing it?

Was wondering where you were! Didn't recognize you (but I think I'm on the right track:D)
    Half marathon next Saturday, no time goal:)
    Are you doing it?

I am indeed, like yourself though I have no time goal and just going to take it handy. PM if you want some company on the way around (and yep you're on the right track :D)

I am indeed, like yourself though I have no time goal and just going to take it handy. PM if you want some company on the way around (and yep you're on the right track :D)

Are we going to meet up????:D no miller for me in prep for next weekend....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are we going to meet up????:D no miller for me in prep for next weekend....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are you going for PB or taking it handy?

i was originally hoping to go with 1.50 pacers and try and beat PB of 1.54, not so sure now..will decide on the day after i see how legs are and hopefully sinusitis keeps its head down!!!!! its still giving me a bit of trouble but nothing too bad!!! what you aiming for??

i was originally hoping to go with 1.50 pacers and try and beat PB of 1.54, not so sure now..will decide on the day after i see how legs are and hopefully sinusitis keeps its head down!!!!! its still giving me a bit of trouble but nothing too bad!!! what you aiming for??

My aim is to finish in one piece and I being absolutely serious! I think I bit off too much too soon in signing up for this :o. 2 weeks to get ready for a half = not enough time!!

A "wise" person told me a couple a weeks ago that you might surprise yourself on the day...so if legs and sinusitis are in check, go for it. If you blow up so what. Sure make your mind up that morn. As for giving up miller, don't be daft!! Text me that morn anyway and we'll meet up somewhere before or after.

Madon...sorry for the log hijack :D

Ye, will defo catch up...wonder who that wiseone was????:D:D:D (i don't like the "" around wise...that implies not wise!!)

Madon, want to meet you too! i'll pm you my mobile:D

as for giving up Miller...that was a joke;)

• Advertisement

Ye, will defo catch up...wonder who that wiseone was????:D:D:D (i don't like the "" around wise...that implies not wise!!)

Madon, want to meet you too! i'll pm you my mobile:D

as for giving up Miller...that was a joke;)

hey, I could have typed a "wise old woman" so just be thankful you only got the quotes :cool:

Advertisement