Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been avoiding this....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Thanks for that pconn, there is a good bit going on in the area! Couple of 5ks its been a long time since I ran one i'm sure there must be a PB there for me:D
    Thurs 17th 2.55 Ran the loop again to see how the hip felt- ran it a lot quicker than the day before and it felt fine until the end! So took a few days off- I was busy anyway so it wasn't too much of a hardship.
    Mon 21 8.53- was planning a longish run, but wanted to see ow the hip felt too and it was fine, was going to leave it at 7miles but as I ran i started thinking that I would go a bit longer and make a final decision on whether I'd run Bohermeen or completely forget about it. So I ran 8 and a half the last 3 miles in the snow averaging 9.50 min mile. So I'm thinking again that I might be okay for a half. I'll go 10 this week and see how I get on.
    Thurs 24 5.02
    Sat 26 5.00
    I really need to be uping my days now- I'm only going three days a week:(!
    Tues 29th 5.08 in the wind!

Jan 30th 4.03
    Jan 31 7.21
    Feb 3 4.05
    Feb 5 3.00
    Feb 7 4.21
    Feb 8 10.59- 1.46.57 ave 10.06 min mile

I'm still unsure whether or not to do Bohermeen, going to see after next weeks long run.

Well I've bit the bullet and registered for bohermeen, Would love to be in a position to consider breaking 2 hours but I'm a long long way off, anyway I'll be happy to come in under 2.10 maybe if I have one of those super running days I might even break 2.05 mark, we'll see anything could happen tbh.
    Right so...
    Sun 10th Feb 3.58
    Tues 12 Feb 3.09- I felt like I was running under water, really really struggled:rolleyes:
    Wed 13 Fen 11.14- felt good, I ran this on a road I know well but only ran once so it was a nice change of scenery!
    Thurs 14 Feb 2.51- just to keep the stiffness away.
    Sat Feb 16th 5.75. Ran this early morning (earlier than I'd usually run) with no breakfast and had planned for 4. First mile was a struggle but the rest was very enjoyable so much so I added to the 4 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good stuff Madon, best of luck with the rest of the training and the race.

Just three runs and I think that could be me for the rest of the week as myself and OH will just be passing each other until Monday I don't think I'll get even half hour where we will be at home at the same time:rolleyes:
    So Tues 19th 2.63 that should have been 3 but I still had beer shakes from Sat and just couldn't do any more! I wouldn't mind I didn't drink a whole lot:o
    Wed 20 12.10 miles- Didn't feel these miles pass- although I had to drop home at 5 miles coz i forgot to hang out clothes before I left and it was so windy I couldn't waste a good hour of clothes drying time! I strained a muscle in my neck in mid air jumping over a stream :confused: and I'm having great difficulty looking down ever since!
    Fri 22nd 6.03 miles- It was freezing- i couln't warm up at all and I could feel all my muscles tightening with the cold which made it very difficult to try speed this run up, only started to feel warm at mile 4 it helped too that the bitter wind had eased off. Sitting now after a warm shower wrapped around a mug of coffee and I'm still freezing!
    124.3- (plus 14.8 for the adding mistake I made adding on the 8/2/2012) =139.1

• Advertisement

Just four small runs to report-
    Feb 25 3.07
    Feb 26 4.00
    Feb 28th 2.28
    March 2nd 2 miles
    Think I'll be happy to run 2.10 tomorrow. I don't feel motivated to do any better than that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done today. I hope you're delighted with your PB and that you got back on time for the young lad!!!:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Well done today. I hope you're delighted with your PB and that you got back on time for the young lad!!!:D

Yeah really delighted- I wasn't expecting it at all so its even sweeter. By the time I got home and had a shower he was on his last round so no point me heading out to catch him but he was very proud of his Mammys pb. Sometimes I think its terrible selfish of me to go do my thing when they have their stuff too, but seeing how proud they are of you makes up for it.

Bohermeen 13.1 (or 13.4 on my phone however I started it before the start line- plus I done a good bit of passing which is unusual for me!)
    Well my thoughts were that due to not feeling very motivated or in any mood to really push myself, plus the fact that I have done no speed work compared to the bit I was doing last year, Plus the slight fear of ending up injured after the first big run of the year. I was heading to Bohermeen thinking that I'd be disappointed if I ran over 2.10 and if I was feeling alright I'd push for 2.05. I'd no thoughts of chasing a PB so was really going to play by ear. So I was debating whether to go with the 2 hour pacers for the first half then drop back when the pace got too much, whether to go with the 2.15 for the first half make up the time on the second or stay in between and run my own race.
    Decided to go with the 2 hr as the first half is my worst- between 5 and 8 miles is where I droop a bit and then I start the mental battle of will I slow or push through it etc etc.
    Anyway I ran about 50 metres behind the pacers and at around half a mile I fell in step with a Drogheda and District runner, another mile in and we had another runner fall in step with us, it passed the first few miles watching for my two buddies to fall back in step as we passed ppl out at around 5 miles I could feel a stitch coming on my right side, half a mile later one on my left. At this stage the lady and gent I was running with seemed to be holding the pace well so I fell behind them- I got a bit of a nudge and decided then to keep with them until the water station at 7 miles that way I argued with myself I would have ran the majority of my 'bad time' with the two hour pacers and decided at that stage I could walk the rest if I wanted!
    So at the waterstation the girl said she was going to stay at my pace and we wished good luck to our Drogheda and district friend, willing him to stick with the pacers! The next mile I found a real struggle I still had a heaviness in my side I found it hard to keep the pace but all of a sudden there was the 8 mile mark I mentally pictured the rest of the route I knew the mile markers and in my head I knew it wasn't that bad I was well used to running those last 5 miles and I could easily do them at 10 mile pace(little did I realise I was going a bit quicker than 10 min mile anyway). So with my spirits lifted I picked up the pace a bit, however the girl I was running with had no more and told me to go on.
    When I hit the main road I could see the 2 hour pacers ahead of me I had to blink a bit to be sure it wasn't a mirage! So I knew I was coming up to 9 miles with the 2 hours still in sight I was determined that I was going to kepp them in sight until we came off the main road anyway then play it by ear. So I spent the next mile and a half passing ppl out, then to my surprise when i was coming up to the motorway bridge I seen my Drogheda and district man in front so I made it my aim to catch him- that didn't happen though until we got the next motorway bridge just before the 12 mile mark- he stopped to walk, I thought to myself noooo you're not walking so put a little sprint on ran up beside him and told him to come on, so as much as I think the two of us were struggling we kept it up and finally the end was in sight!
    I struggled up the track I couldn't even muster up a final sprint, and was very surprised to see the clock just ticking to 2.02.00 when I was passing- I almost stopped at the clock to be sure i was seeing it right!
    So my chip time came in at 2.01.20 giving me the most unexpected pb ever! Thinking back on the race, I talked loads, stopped to drink water, I debated with walking so many more times than I did before, I got over probably one of the worst stitches I have got in a run (well it lasted the longest) I purposely never looked at my watch because I didn't want to put pressure on myself, I really didn't take the race too serious and maybe that was the secret!
    So I drove home on cloud 9 the sun shining in my car to warm me up and red hot chilli peppers blaring- happy out!
    13.4-2.01.41
    8.44/8.44/8.46/8.49/8.54/9.02/9.07/9.25/9.24/9.14/9.23/9.43/9.00+mile 14-8.27
    So miles 8/9 and 11/12 are the miles I nee work on- just to add I took on water but no gels or jellys it may have made a difference.

Tues March 5th 3.08 miles- legs were a bit stiff they loosened out for the second mile but I could feel them heavy again in mile 3.
    Just going to take it easy this week and next (I've a busy week in work anyway) and hopefully then look at some plans to try improve my 10k time.

Well done again D, and to think that you were taking it easy, so imagine what you can do to the time when you set it as a goal race...keep up the good work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Hey Madon, well done!
    We must have been pretty close to each other for most of the race! Just on the gels, I'm not a big fan of them myself, but had one with me on Sunday, and took it when I really started to feel mysef fade at mile 8. Don't know of it was physical or psychological, but it made a huge difference, was able to pick up the pace again pretty quickly.
    Congrats again, sub 2 no bother to you now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Wow Madon, well done on the Half. Super time!

Hey Madon, well done!
    We must have been pretty close to each other for most of the race! Just on the gels, I'm not a big fan of them myself, but had one with me on Sunday, and took it when I really started to feel mysef fade at mile 8. Don't know of it was physical or psychological, but it made a huge difference, was able to pick up the pace again pretty quickly.
    Congrats again, sub 2 no bother to you now!

Thanks Pansophelia- yeah see your time and we probably were!
    I usually have jellies during a half but completely forgot to bring them, I haven't been running great so wan\t planning a PB. Really wasn't expecting to have run so well, I would imagine that the jellies at least would have given me an extra little kick, even if as you say it is psychological!

March 7th 3.40- legs felt tired.
    March 10th 5 mile on treadmill
    March 12th 4.11
    March 14 4.39
    March 16 5.5
    Thats it for the past two weeks, going to look now for a 10k plan, chip time my current PB is 54. that really needs to come down.

March 19th- 10.04 -
    It was freezing, Warmed up after the first mile or so, realised I was going a bit too fast, got onto the beach and belted down it. Turned to come back and hit the wind head on ran into this for 2.5 miles so ended up with mile 6 at 11.11 and mile 7 at 11.16! Relief to come back off the beach to finish the run!
    10.04 miles in 1.40.55

Thurs 21st-5.94
    Fri 22- 3.52
    Was hoping to get a 4th run in and couldn't very disappointed:(
    Mon 25- 2.68 Was really hard my legs were very very stiff and stomech wasn't the greatest, I ended up just going home.
    Tues 26- 6.50 Again I struggled- legs were stiff and stomach aching- Ran the first three into the wind and the hail/snow that fell hurt! Was delighted and surpised to have done what I done!
    Wed 27- 4.3 Was planning 3 just two easy miles and one mile at 10k pace to get the feel for running fast again. However the wind and cold just put me off! It took me 3 miles to warm up and my legs to loose stiffness and by then it had started snowing just couldn't get the speed up!
    Thurs 29- 9.07 Felt a bit more alive for this one- and was surprised we had gone at the pace we had average 9..36.
    I really should be trying to up my weekly mileage (probably by getting out more!) and start working on speed.

Sun 31st- I was at a 21st the night before and had left my car at my sisters house. OH suggested Sunday morning that I run in and get it..... what better way to cure a hangover. 9.41 miles average 9.20 min mile burning off two easter eggs worth of calories, leaving me with over 30 miles this week the highest weekly mileage I've done.
    Monday 1st April- 3.56, bit of soreness in my calves, just I think from the miles. Getting pee'd off with the wind!
    Going to try get at least 25 miles this week. Think I might work on bringing the miles up for the month of April average at least 25. I've registered for the Boyne 10k beginning of May, I should have a PB there. Then try to improve on that for the local 10k end of June. I'm a little afraid to put a lot of effort into speed work as I think thats what was causing the pains in my hip, but we'll see how the next couple of weeks go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Madon, if you're looking to focus on 10k's for the next while you should give this thread a read and give the McMillan plan a go. It's a great plan for 10k training, four big sessions, you do one every two weeks and then fill in the gaps with easy/long runs and a few shorter reps or a tempo run. Just something to consider!

Cheers- will give that a go tomorrow.

Right was in a bit of a panic this morning thinking that if i didn't get week one done of the ultimate 10k workout I'd be fecked. I only had just over an hour to do it so was thinking of going straight in no warm up but when I left the kids to school and felt the cold i knew that wouldn't work. So decided to put it off until Friday or Sunday however my long run was due then too so I was all in a muddle until I realised that I have another few weeks to start this:) I'm too late for the Boyne 10k and the next run I'll be doing after that is the one here in Clogherhead. That would mean I would be starting this the week of the Boyne 10k. So I'm thinking I'll do the first week the week before with a 52min 10k as target, run the Boyne and see what my time is there and if it matches the plan. Between now and then I'll get a few tempos in and a couple of intervals to try pick up the pace and ease myself back into speed work, all the time I need to be aware of how the auld hip is holding up (and not ignore the signs like last year:rolleyes:)
    Thanks Pconn for the link.
    Wed 3rd 10.04 miles- really enjoyed this run even if the wind was very strong and two jack russells decided to take on my dog!
    Fri 4.60- no wind yeeeahhhh!
    Sunday 4.03- could have kept going but it was getting late and was dark so I'd have to keep running the same 1 half mile stretch of lit road over and over again!
    Mon 3.25- Was keeping this short as I was planning to do a more active session this morning but that went out the window.
    Tues 9th April 2.03!!! Just wasn't there, had a plan of what I was going to do that went out the window so when I realised I was ahead of myself was going to go for an easyish 5 or so mile but a mile in and my stomach was in a ball, my heel was being cut by my runner, and the fact that i was panicing over time, I turned back after a mile- might try again this evening if the wind dies down!

Wed 10th 10.23-After day befores crap run wasn't sure how this would go but I felt very fresh for it- avg pace 9.43
    Fri 12 6.37- Again after I got over the first 2 miles the legs were nice and fresh- I did get a mile of this in at a PB 10k pace and was all set to give another ago but turned into the wind and I threw in the towel! Avg pace 9.26
    Sun 13 3.12- his hurt- wind was a killer and I finished the run before I felt I warmed up. Legs were tired and heavy.
    Monday apr 15th 8.10 Got to mile 4 of this with my legs still feeling tired and heavy when they should be well warmed, decided I'll pull the miles back this week- I've three long shifts the next few days and I reckon the semi- rest from running will do me the world of good physically. hopefully leaving me in good form to start a bit of speed work next week- so I stopped my long run at 8 miles instead of 10. I finished it feeling good though like I could easily and happily have kept going.
    Tues 16th April 4.23- 9.15/10.39/9.27/9.40 guess which one was into the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Ticking along nicely Madon. Where is the biking update tho :p

• Advertisement

Ticking along nicely Madon. Where is the biking update tho :p

Ehhhh....
    I got donated a bike, an old custom made road bike and i need to send it for a service, saves me from getting the money docked, bikes still in my shed unserviced :o
    I've taken one step in the right direction- give me another six months and I'll give cycling it a go!

Sat 20 April- After a three day kind of forced break I done 6.23 miles on SatFound it tough I was after doing three long days at work and was shaking off a bit of stiffness in my right hip area. 9.14/9.03/9.21/10.31/9.22/.23-9.13 I don't know what I happened that I have a 10.31 stuck in there! I'm going to blame a strong wind- it seems to be my excuse of choice lately:rolleyes:
    Sun 21 4.03 I don't like these runs anymore- I only get warmed up and the runs over!
    So that week left me just over 20 miles with a three day break in the middle- of which I can feel the benefits of:)
    Mon 22nd- Taking Pconns advise I tackled the first of the McMillan 10k workout.
    I set up the workout on the runkeeper app. but being lazy I didn't check to se how many minutes rest in between and gave myself one (it should have been 3-4) I decided to go with a pace of 8.25- this would give me a PB not by much but I thought it would be a sensible place to start until I see what I run in the Boyne 10k (starting this plan now would leave the Integral seaside 10k on the 30th of June at the end of it)
    I struggled big time to keep the pace at 8.25 I was jumping everyway- going too fast then when I tried to slow it down I was running too slow, my stride was also all over the place I was running between little short steps and long strides!
    5.00 warm up 11.47 (I stopped to say hello to a neighbour and a few lines of small talk!)
    Mile 1- 8.17
    Mile 2 8.23 (Hooray!)
    Mile 3 10.04This one I had chnged direction and had the wind in my face- I was fecked after the first two and my breathing was a lot heavier- every time I went to exhale the wind would blow my breath back into my mouth, so I found it hard to breathe got thick and threw in the towel!
    Mile 4 8.57this was into the wind too it was the hardest mile i ran at what I thought was target- turns out I was way off.
    Mile 5 8.24- another on target- although i had the wind on my back.
    Mile 6 9.24-Again I did think I was running on target!
    Its been a long time since I could call a run a workout but this was a workout and I need to do this sort of thing more often. I'm getting too used to just going for a run and although they are an effort at times I haven't being putting a lot of effort into them.
    I only hit three miles on target- I'm not sure if I would have ran better miles if I had the right rest time in between. But its done and dusted!
    I was worried that I would feel this run on my hip today but besides a blister on eachheel I'm fine!
    Total 8.03
    April 23 5.5 miles- besides the blisters stinging I felt okay for this run- I was expecting to be a bit stiffer than i was.

Thursday 25 2.06- got delayed going for my run that morning- headed out and got two miles down the beach and the feckin blisters started bleeding, walked home to put plasters in them and realised that if I headed back out I would not get back to get the little nuisance from school. Run out the window!
    Sat April 27 3.72- I hadn't planned on this one but because Thursday went so badly I felt I had to, I was working two long days so got up early to head out, felt dehydrated and tired, only woke up when I got home!
    Sun 28th of April 9.05- Brilliant run- I gave myself a bit of a lecture before I went out about doing these long runs too fast- there is no real difference between the longer and shorter at the minute. Thought I was going nice and slow but I did go faster than I should
    Tuesday April 30th 6.59 ran these miles slower than the 9 on Sunday, legs felt fresh though and I suppose I'm better to keep them that way for Sunday.

Wed May 1st 6.24 miles Done a 5 min warm up followed 8*500metre at 5k pace with 500 metre slow in between. My breathing is terrible when I up the pace but my legs feel fine, by the end I was struggling. I went very slow on the off ones I did keep jogging but at times it felt I could walk faster.
    7.33/7.51/8.06/8.16/7.35/7.38/7.59/7.45
    A bit all over theplace and terrain on no's 3 and 4 was a bit dodgy, a lot of loose stone- the tide the last few days has been really high and my route is a bit messy! I was happy enough though- they probably were a bit too fast though to what my 5k time would be.
    Jogged just over a mile cool down to home.
    Thursday 2nd 3.01 miles- I don't know if it was the fact that I knew this was just a shortie (and I am growing to really hate the short runs!) or if my legs were just heavy from yesterday or if I'm about to come down with a cold but this wasn't the nicest of runs!
    I've two long days at work now before Boyne 10k on Sunday- would love to get out to loosen the legs a bit before it but I don't know if I will. I'm looking to get under 54 Sunday I have a terrible 10k official chip timed PB of just under 55 mins I really need to knock that way down this year. I'll be happy with 53.59 Sunday I need a lot more work before I could think of any more than that.

Sunday 5th May- Boyne 10k
    My 10k PB (official) up to this is embarrassing! So if I didn't PB here today there was something wrong- however all the talk before was about this hill at 7k and the consenses seemed to be that it was going to add a minute to times- even at that I knew I should still be looking at running a PB. So with the aim of running under 54 mins that would get me a PB and leave me that I could aim for another pb at the end of June when I have a few more weeks of doing a bit of speed work.
    I was a bit worried that I might freeze up coz I didn't get a little run in since Thursday, I also had my kids with me at the start of the race and by the time my Mam was settled and ready to take them at the start it was nearly time for the off so I didn't get a great warm up in either.
    Slotted in the over 50 min section- I noticed with a few minutes to go that I was being pushed further back in this section as people were pushing in in front so I tried to make my way further up, didn't work and before I knew it we were walking up towards the start line, we seemed to head off pretty quick but 200 metres in and i had to start weaving through walkers- this went on until about 3k, where I nearly fell over a man who stopped dead in front of me and started walking- I cursed him profoundly and kept runnning. But whatever way I landed on my ankle I felt like it was about to give in shock this off after another km.
    From the start my mouth was really dry this must be a kind off nervous thing as it never really happens in training, besides that and the incident with my ankle and the fact that everytime I run under the motorway bridge I come out the other side slightly dizzy (I suffer a bit with vertigo and for whatever reason this tunnel gets me dizzy) I felt good and not as un warmed up as I should have done. I hit 5k knowing that i was after running the first half very quick and knew I couldn't keep it going so I settled at the pace i was going. I found the section between 5k and the hill at 7 very warm- I often run that stretch of road and it always- even in winter, feels like there is no air- I don;t know if its because its so close to the canal on one side and covered with growth the other.
    When we hit the hill at 7k a lot around me started walking- I was determined not to let this happen so I shortened the step and I would imagine if you were looking at me by the time I got to the top my nose was probably inches from the ground!
    Finally I hit the down hill section but i had also missed the8k marker and this threw me off a bit- when we turned onto the ramparts there was a man shouting out the time he called 49.00 at the 9k marker my heart sank I was really disappointed I knew that I would have to run a 5 min km to try get under 54 mins and I really didn't think I had it in my legs. Seeing all the people runnign across the bridge when I was coming down the ramparts they looked really far away! When I got onto the bridge myself I was surprised to hear one of the DD club members who was marshelling shout me on by name- fair play to her I was talking to her when I registered weeks before hand and I knew we ran similar times, it really bucked me up and I was able to pick it up for the little hill at the end. I crossed the line and the clock read 55.06 my phone was reading 53.35, my chip time came in at 53.33. Woohoo a PB but I still want to cut thatway down. If I can hit somewhere near the late 50 early 51 minute mark by the end of the summer I'll be happy.
    7.57/7.51/8.30 (big jump)/8.32/ 9.36 (the hill!)/ 8.17
    Mile splits are all over the place- I ran the first too way to fast and the next three way too slow! But I am happy that I can hit two miles in a row under 8 mins- that is a great mental boast for me!
    6.33 in 53.33

Well done on the PB...you had a good solid run. Sounds like the start was very congested just like last year...next year start up the front!!;) (I think we said that last year!!)

Younganne wrote: »
    Well done on the PB...you had a good solid run. Sounds like the start was very congested just like last year...next year start up the front!!;) (I think we said that last year!!)

Yes we did din't we- its terrible that it is going to push the likes of myself into a group that I shouldn't be in.
    Monday 6th May- 3.11 I always find a short run after a long one helps loosen the muscles so I went out for a hungover few miles, had to stop it when I started gagging, maybe I had a few too many bottles the night before:p
    Tuesday 7th May- 5.04 Felt sore until 3 half/ 4 mile.
    Wednesday 8th May- Woke up with sore throat and a stuffed head- thought I'd be okay to run but after 3.6 of a planned 8 mile I stopped I was sweating very heavy and felt like I had a temperature- no point pushing it. I have two long days at work so I'll be doing 2 mile and 4 1 mile on Saturday. Two days off will hopefully get me fully over lastSunday and this cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done on the 10k madon. Excellent time!

Cold got worse- So I took a few days off-
    Sunda May 12- 4.01- I sweated like a pig, I probably should have made this a little shorter but it was lovely to be out again!
    Monday 13th 6.08- Again I sweated like a pig- my nose is still blocked so I found it a bit difficult to get breathing alright- was surprised to see that my average mileage was just under 9 min I felt like I struggled a good lot of it.

I didn't get one of the McMillan workouts done last week but have a week to play with, Star of the sea have a 5k in two weeks so that will give me another indication of where I stand. I should PB the 5k I currently have one over 27mins from 2 years ago:D

• Advertisement

wed 15th May- 7.91- McMillan week 2- I was a little unsure whether or not to do this as I didn't think I was fully over the cold but I didn't want it hanging over my head all week either so went ahead with it.
    Warm up 5 mins.
    2 Miles 10k pace- 8.13.
    5 min slow
    1 mile- 8.16
    3 min slow
    1 mile 8.33:o
    3 slow
    1 mile 9.09:o:o
    3 slow
    1 mile 9.09:o:o
    finished the last mile at my door- TBH I was annoyed too that the last 3 went so wrong I just wanted out of the wind and rain,
    Thurs 5.01- uneventful!
    Friday 8.01- Nice slow run taking in a few up and down hills.

Advertisement