Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been avoiding this....

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Started the year off with a slow 2.33 miles with my son.
    Serious running resumes Monday- I still have the dreggs of that flu so another couple of days off will do no harm.

Not a whole lot of running being done- although I'm starting to pick up again.
    Jan 4-5.04, Jan 6-4.10, Jan 8th 5.53, Jan 9th 3.03, Jan 10th 3.10, Jan 13th 4.01, Jan 15th 5.21, Jan 17 8.01, Jan 19th 3.5, Jan 20th 5.28, Jan 22nd 5.73.
    Plan to do 9 mile on Friday aiming to do bohermeen half, no time in mind just need a focus.
    I've been on/off suffering with pains and aches due to a tilted pelvis or hips out of line or one leg shorter than the other. Bit of a chicken and egg injury/ complaint to have! I'm starting to spot the red flag warning of when its becoming more than a few aches and pains, a big one is the stomach cramps that I couldn't figure out before why I was getting them- but from reading back my log they appear and a few weeks later I'm injured.
    The last physio I was at (which I thought was the best) didn't try sell me insoles or tell me I needed 3 sessions that turned into 6,7,8, etc! He Made me more aware of these signs and more aware of where the pain was coming from (the 'tilt' is on my left side but its my right leg that feels it) He gave me stretches and a few exercises to strengthen my hip, also a plan of action on my next pelvis tilting too far incident which involves one visit to his friend a chiropracter and two to himself to work on the muscles effected by my pelvis tilting. I think that explains it in a simple yet vague way!
    However I think having extremely weak upper body and core isn't helping- so I joined a gym and have been killing myself doing classes that involve weight lifting the aches and pains I have is unbelievable! I'm fairly stocky and look like I probably should have upper body strength but there is twigs in the class lifting weights double and treble my 2.5kg at each end of the bar and I'm struggling to finish the sets! But I'm loving it and can't wait to see hopefully the benefits!
    So thats my plan for the foreseeable future- work on the core and hopefully get to the summer a lot stronger than I have been before, then i might think of trying for a few PBS.

Jan 24th 9.19 miles, this was a very enjoyable run, enough effort to feel like you done something but comfortable enough to be a classic LSR and running it with 2 other woman meant the miles flow by as we discussed all our kids and OH's do wrong!
    Jan 28th 3.1 on threadmill.
    jAN 29 5.11
    jAN 30TH 6.2- missed the 10 mile LSR due to stormy conditions so done this on a treadmill- I think I should be allowed count it as 12.4 miles- I find treadmill running soooo hard!
    Feb 2nd 5.12
    Feb 4 3.1 treadmill
    Feb 6 11.01- shocked slow but very enjoyable!
    Not running loads but i'm doing a lot of weights in between to try build up my core muscles, I done a weights class on Tues night and could still feel the effects on todays run, but in a good way. The lack of miles isn't concerning me a whole lot as I think any work i can do on my core is more beneficial to me at the minute.

Feb 7th 5.01
    Feb 9th 1.64- stopped as I got called away from the run.
    Feb 10th 5.04
    Feb 12 3.25
    Sick daughter meant a few days away from the road
    Feb 16 6.2
    Mon 17 1.3- warm up on treadmill before a class.
    Wed 19 14.1
    Thurs 20 3.52
    Fri 21 4.69
    A cold that never fully turned into a cold but left me feeling drained meant another gap.
    Tues 25 5.64
    Wed 2.18= treadmill warm up to class
    Fri 28th 2.01 - Just to loosen the legs for today
    Sun March 2nd 13.38
    Bohermeen Half-
    I started my phone early just to make sure it was working so that was why it is measuring over the distance. This is also why the time on my phone is 2 mins slower than my chip time.
    Anyway i had started this running with a friend who I done all the long runs with but she had a cold all last week and I knew from the start she would struggle.
    I left her at 3 miles feeling like I was finally getting warm, that said I felt fairly strong. I was also being passed constantly even though we did start fairly far back. At 4 miles I start feeling a heaviness in my side, it wasn't annoying me but i just didn't know which way it was going to go.
    Just after 4 a girl came up behind me and we fell into step and started chatting. She asked did I have a time in mind, I replied I didn't and went on to explain my whole injury history and the fact I was concentrating on strengthening my core to try avoid injury.
    We arrived at the half way point and I felt strong enough, stitch was still there although it was still not really bothering me. From this point we started passing people out and I took a gel at around 8 mile.
    Back along the main road I felt like we really started picking the pace up, I could feel my side getting heavier. The girl I was running with was checking her watch every so often I was tempted to ask a few times what we were doing but i didn't. I felt under a bit of pressure but not enough to think i was running any way on form.
    As we turned the corner before the water station i knew I couldn't keep the faster pace going so I told the girl I was going to ease off at the water station and she told me that I might catch back up with her but I knew I couldn't keep the pace going. The water and the ease of pace shifted the stitch but I was tired and my legs were feeling heavy.
    I struggled on and as I started climbing the hill to the last motor way bridge I realised I was still passing.
    The stretch of road from where the start was to the track was one long haul!! When I finally reached the track I s[otted the clock and couldn't believe it was reading what I thought at first was 1.59.29- I couldn't believe it and mini panicked, I started thinking (illogically!) that maybe I started before the clock or maybe it was the timer for the 10k ! As I got closer I released it wasn't on 1.59 but 1.58 I nearly got sick with excitement!
    Anyway official chip time 1.58.08 (at last!!!)(and now I wish I ran 9 secs faster)
    Splits 9.49 (early start) 9.01,9.01,8.37,8.5,9.02,9.13,8.4,8.59,8.36,9.08,8.48,9.01(9.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Great running with you yesterday. Really enjoyed it- despite the weather.
    When you mentioned your previous best HM was 2:01 and that you weren't going for a time, I did notice that you were trotting along very comfortably at sub 2 hour pace, but didn't want to jinx it by saying anything! ;)

So congrats on a shiny new PB! :D:D

Hopefully that cramp doesn't mean you're going to end up inhured again. Look after yourself!

• Advertisement

Its so long since I updated this as running has taking a bit of a back seat of late. Although I'm still getting at least three runs in a week I'm not doing near the miles I have last year.
    I've done a lot of weights in the gym to try build up my core muscles to try sort my wonky hip- a bit of muscle around it might keep it in place (well thats the plan) My lower back can get slightly sore also the hip but thats all, it hasn't travelled to any other location, the pain too is not an injury pain but more of a 'I worked those muscles' pain. My whole right side gets very sore after weights (again not injury sore but worked them sore) but is getting better as the weeks go on.
    there is a little niggley bit of my brain though that is telling me that maybe things aren't hurting because I'm not doing the miles but sure time will tell when I start upping the miles again around July for dcm.
    Anyway I ran the boyne 10k today in 51.39 no Pb (51.33) but I run it almost 2 mins faster than last year (53.33) so I'll take that as a good sign.
    Coming home I couldn't remember what I ran last years in so was reminded of the importance of up dating my log!
    I haven't logged all my miles I haven't timed measured a lot of them but run keeper app has it at 300 this year so far which wouldn't be far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Nice to see you haven't fallen off the running band wagon completely ;)

Keep logging.

Advertisement