Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been avoiding this....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

4.82- Felt good, maybe the gloomy weather suits me!

5.53 felt good- was planning on only 3 maybe 4 miles but I was enjoying being out of the house too much- ws suffering terrible from cabin fever!

:mad:
    Wrote two big long posts and both times I lost them coz I've had to log back in:(
    So the short cut version is.....
    Was starting HH intermediate plan with 14 weeks to dublin half marathon, giving myself two weeks for holidays, sickness, injury.
    Monday- 3 miles in 29.1 mins- pace all over the place (as per usual!)
    Tuesday 5 miles- 50.01 mins averaging 10 min mile

Then in for a long over due sports massage to find out it was long overdue!
    I have a problem with my hip joint (he told me what it was and I had to ask him to repeat it twice- his accent- so too embarrassed to ask again) also hip flexor strain probably compensating for my hip. He used a belt tied around him and my leg and manipulated it- wasn't sore but I didn't realise how much pressure I had been feeling in that hip which instantly went when he felt it go back into place.
    He gave me stretches and told me not to run for a week- (maybe longer but I'm not thinking about that:()
    My own fault-I knew it was slowly getting worse and ignoring it didn't make it go away.
    Just going to have to go for walks now for the rest of the week and wallow in my own self pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry to hear that Madon...don't wallow, just enjoy the walks and you'll be back before you get a chance to miss it:D

Out for another week but my hip feels great- No pain at all. I didn't realise (or chose to ignore!) how bad it had got and I was protecting it an awful lot. I thinkI did get it just at borderline- I reckon another week or two of running on it I probably would have ended up not able to run and out for much longer. So hopefully from next week I can start back gradually again.
    I'm sure I can skip a couple of weeks of HH since I had an alrightish base already. Will see when i start back.

• Advertisement

madon wrote: »
    Out for another week but my hip feels great- No pain at all. I didn't realise (or chose to ignore!) how bad it had got and I was protecting it an awful lot. I thinkI did get it just at borderline- I reckon another week or two of running on it I probably would have ended up not able to run and out for much longer. So hopefully from next week I can start back gradually again.
    I'm sure I can skip a couple of weeks of HH since I had an alrightish base already. Will see when i start back.

Delighted you caught it in time. Don' worry, you'd be well able to jump in at any week on the plan, as you have been running regularly

I'm baaacccckkkk!!! With instructions to run on grass or beach and to ease back in, half hour 50% run/50% walk then if hips feeling okay I can increase to 60/40 and 75/25 by the end of the week.
    But I cheated and ran 4.21 miles- granted the first couple of miles I ran on air so no pressure on my hip:p Stiff muscles but i'll be good now until Saturday!

3.01 miles Wednesday and 3.51 miles yesterday its great to feel nothing restricting my stride and so much more flexible:D Feeling a bit stiff but its glutes not the join so alls okay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good to see you back Madon:) I'm sure Juneau is happy too!

delighted to see you're back running...painfree!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Brilliant, welcome back and hope injury gone for good. Are you sure it wasn't loosened out at a certain concert :D

littlebug wrote: »
    Good to see you back Madon:) I'm sure Juneau is happy too!
    He's flying along- he keeps looking back at me wondering why I'm not picking up the pace! I should really have a back up person for him for when I'm out of action!
    Younganne wrote: »
    delighted to see you're back running...painfree!!!
    Yes I can't get over how flexible my hip feels and how effortless my stride seems too- don't think I'll leave things so long the next time- so when you tell me to go for a sports massage the next time I'll listen:D
    shazkea wrote: »
    Brilliant, welcome back and hope injury gone for good. Are you sure it wasn't loosened out at a certain concert :D
    3 hours dancing in wedges I still have blisters but it was brilliant 2nd time I've seen them this year- I could rave on forever about what Gods they are! Hopefully people don't think i'm talking about Westlife:D

Integral 10k race in Clogherhead yesterday- 56.31
    Although I should be following physio advice and slowly progress back to running I couldn't stand and watch a local run, so plan was to run 10 min miles and if hip even causes the slightest niggle to walk.
    It was brilliant to be able to get ready at home- only thing was the dog thought because I was putting on my runners he could go too- so had to bring him for a mile run which done me as a warm-up, could feel a slight pull in my glutes so was convinced I'd be walking a lot. Came home and stretched. Dog was happy!

So off we went down into the village where they had smells of gorgeous burgers and hotdogs, facepainters and best of all pre race massage and kinesio taping, so I went in explained I was having trouble with the sacroiliac joint and I could feel a pull in my hip etc so he worked on my glutes and taped up my back (I 'd no shame nearly mooning the crowd getting the tape on- what we do to get us through a run!)

They started calling people to the line and as I was walking up (planning on staying at the back) out from a garage walks pacers!!! So all my plans went out the window- I went up and stood behind the 50 min pacers! (behind the crowd that was behind the balloons coz i knew I couldn't/ shouldn't stay long with them too long) So off we went on probably one of the smoothest starts I've experienced- we were able to run straight away- coming down through the village to the crowd shouting encouragment.

I stayed just behind the 50 mins for 2k before the distance between us started opening up- it was lovely to run at that pace again and I knew if I was as fit as I was in Jan/Feb/ March this year I would have enjoyed running with them. Around 4k I lost them out of sight and the 55 min pacers were coming up behind me, I badly needed water from the start- it must be nerves but my troat gets very dry when I start running. I thought coming to 5k we might get it but no sign - water station was at 6k but at this stage the 55 pacers had passed me out and were also in the distance- at 7k I reigned myself in a bit I was getting very tired and very out of breath all the while i never felt an inch of pain from my glutes or hip! At 9k I was ready to walk when i got a shout from a local which spurred me on- until we hit the hill back into the village were I my jog was no quicker than a walk when I heard another say 'thats the girl that runs with the dog' so I got another big shout that took me to the top of the hill- finish line was at the bottom of the hill and the village was lined- so I sprinted down the hill- I had loads left in my legs and i mean loads!
    I wasn't sure of the time I thought it was close to 58/59 so I was happy with 56.31. It was a very well organised race only two faults was the water being at 6k and the price was steepish but it was so well organised that I did feel like I got moneys worth (well I got a massage and taped for it)
    No pains or aches today either so back to half marathon training this week:)
    6.71 today

Well done Madon, i can feel your joy through that report:D great that you are back running pain free.....

Congrats Madon, good to be back racing injury free I'm sure.

3.5 miles- week 4 of hals intermediate half marathon plan- was slow enough at 35.56 mins and very erratic pace!
    Sore glutes, but SI fine!

I woke up last Tuesday morning and my legs and back ached especially all around my right hip/back/ass! Went to physio- he worked a lot directly on the SI joint and it hurt, he told me to take up cycling or swimming- I can't swim and i have no bike:D. Went back into work and I ached more and more came home that night and went straight to bed couldn't sleep my whole body was sore. I swore I was never running again or going back to physio if it hurt that bad. Then I began vomitting- was kind off happy that it wasn't the run or physio that was causing the aching! So I ached and puked all Wednesday and ached all day Thursday!
    Friday 3.6 miles of what should have been a tempo but ended up being a slow battle through wind and rain.

madon wrote: »
    I woke up last Tuesday morning and my legs and back ached especially all around my right hip/back/ass! Went to physio- he worked a lot directly on the SI joint and it hurt, he told me to take up cycling or swimming- I can't swim and i have no bike:D. Went back into work and I ached more and more came home that night and went straight to bed couldn't sleep my whole body was sore. I swore I was never running again or going back to physio if it hurt that bad. Then I began vomitting- was kind off happy that it wasn't the run or physio that was causing the aching! So I ached and puked all Wednesday and ached all day Thursday!
    Friday 3.6 miles of what should have been a tempo but ended up being a slow battle through wind and rain.

:eek::eek:puking Wed & thur and running Fri...Friday 3.6 miles of what should have been spent in bed!!!;)
    hope your fully recovered and i'm relieved for you it wasn't anything else....

Younganne wrote: »
    :eek::eek:puking Wed & thur and running Fri...Friday 3.6 miles of what should have been spent in bed!!!;)
    hope your fully recovered and i'm relieved for you it wasn't anything else....
    It started as a walk (I had also a bad case of cabin fever!) but after half a mile I figured I'd get home quicker if I ran:p
    7 miles today- longest run in weeks. Used runkeeper as my garmin is playing up so the mile times are
    9.29/10.15/7.05?????/9.09 (even this is questionable)/11.02/11.44 (I was slow but not this slow/11.15
    seem a bit off!
    Anyway 7.05 in 1.10.33 which does seem right and averages 10 min miles
    Hip felt great glutes a bit sore.

4.11 miles in 40 mins- felt good, I'm feeling like I'm not struggling to run at full stride- going to do some 400's at 5k tomorrow so I suppose I'll really notice my new hip then. I'm feeling a bit unfit though after the few weeks off:(

• Advertisement

1 mile warm up down to the beach to do 7* 400 at 5k- started the first and could hear thunder in the distance- so legged it the mile home before it came my way. It never did :mad: Now OH has gone to work and I won't get back out:(
    2.25 miles

8 miles in 1hour 20.38 so almost bang on 10 min miles- felt good for most of this but we stopped a few times to paddle in pools, sniff rocks and general territory marking!

Missing a few days my hip area was aching (not pain, just ache) for a few days so to be on the safe side I took it easy for a few days so last weeks intervals were done today.
    5 mins warm up then 7* .25 mile at 5k pace. Which I was hoping to keep at 8 min/mile but I either went way to fast or way to slow so decided to just go with the pace I fell into.
    7.51/7.36/7.39/7.41/7.43/7.43/7.45 I took it very very easy in between just about 11.00 min miles
    and just over a mile home.
    Legs felt fine only got a slight tug just before I stopped so I'm happy.
    I'm signed up for Fingal 10k and was unsure whether to run or not, I might just go since I am signed up for it and just take it easy maybe aim for 56 like the last day.
    Total today 5.24 miles
    485.25- I think I'm well into February on the 1000 mile challenge!

Madon, you played it safe resting the hip, well done, its very difficult when following a plan...well done ont he intervals.

Best of luck on sunday, enjoy the race

Its tough sometimes to that step back but it obviously payed off not an ache or pain for todays 4.61 miles very pleased especially after doing intervals which usually do leave me with a few aches and pains:)

2.99 miles slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Great log madon. I'm yet to experience the wonders of intervals and races but this is another inspiring thread which will no doubt help me to get there one day, so thanks :)

(Is it just me that thinks the 'thank' button should really be a 'cheer' button in the training logs? :) )

Thanks Dave, you'll just love intervals and tempos etc when you start down that road:p
    You should also take the plunge and register for a race if you haven't already there is plenty to choose from for the next few months (runireland has an events calender).

Yesterday Fingal 10k-
    Started off fine until I hit the 3k mark then my legs felt very very heavy (I don't know if I didn't warm up enough), shock that off around 5k but I never really got into the race. I struggled around and at the minute I feel like I'll never be able to run these any faster:(
    Came under the clock (very pee'd off) at 58.28 chip time 57.09:mad:

Don't be too hard on yourself Madon, by all accounts it was a tough course with windy conditions. Whats next on the hitlist?

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    Don't be too hard on yourself Madon, by all accounts it was a tough course with windy conditions. Whats next on the hitlist?

Don't know I'm a bit pee'd off with it all at the minute so I might just concentrate on getting fat again!
    Half marathon in September is the next big one I'd love to break 2 hours but would be delighted to even take a minute off Bohermeens 2.02.
    I got running beside a loud talking self motivator at yesterdays run don't know if that beats your heavy breather but I picked up the pace after the 3rd 'c'mon you can do it' (we hadn't hit 3k at that stage either!)

4.76 tonight- average 10 min mile- legs a bit heavy but I was drowning my sorrows yesterday crap 10k time and Meath rolled over for Dublin:( :D so was a bit dehydrayed!

Advertisement