Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been avoiding this....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Sun May 19th 4.97- Avg pace 9.10
    Mon 20th 7.19- really wasn't in the mood, only i was running with a friend I would have backed out, I moaned the whole way round about feeling crap but was surprised to see we had covered 7.19 miles avg pace 9.40.
    Tues 3.31-I ran this after a 12 hour shift at 10 at night, but it was only meant to be a short run, to keep the legs fresh- avg pace ended up 8.37- surprising myself again.
    Was going to do a 400 metre session Thursday but I had a hospital appointment that I thought would be a consultation but i ended up having a biopsy (nothing serious) so couldn't run Thursday.
    Friday 24th- 3.23-Had another 12 hour shift- I was going to take this as a rest day but with missing Thursday I felt under pressure to get another run in- another short run again too late at night avg pace 8.47.
    Sat 25- 7.01- Plan of 10 miles cut short to seven when the mixture of sweat and constant movement of arms started annoying where I had the biopsy done. Avg pace 10 min- I was really keeping this one slow as I had it in my head that I would go over the planned 10 if I was feeling good.
    Sunday 26th- 6.34- avg 9.20- didn't quite hit 30 this week but i odne ok for missing one session and cutting shirt another.

Tues May 28th- 5.48 miles Decided to run the Star of the Sea 5k, my previous 5k PB was 27.3odd, if I did't PB this I knew I'd have to take up knitting or something..- At around 2 o'clock I had consumed 3 maybe 4 cups of coffee and no water (I drink litres of it when I'm at work, need to get into better habits on days off) So I had to seriously rehydrate- I also had chicken and chorizo jambayala for dinner- not the best pre run dinner!
    So between drinking water and burping chorizo I wasn't the most prepared for this.
    Jogged the mile down to the start- Although I ran this at a very easy pace I felt very breathless when I got to the start I also had the usual dry mouth, race started and I couldn't get my watch going the signal was really bad- always is in that area. I ran the first 2k feeling slow, sluggish, heavy, my mouth was dry and I was getting that blood taste in my mouth from my lungs. Going up through the village I was seriously struggling with my breathing, I had to loudly sigh a few times to stop myself from shallow breathing- I bet those running beside me were cursing me:o Just before the 3k mark I was fit to throw in the towel- I was being passed a lot at this stage and I didn't care I felt sh*t! I struggled through the next 1k debating whether I should just pull up to save my confidence taken a beating in case I didn't break the PB I had.... and then I seen 4k written on the road and I woke up! I passed more than passed me for this km I powered up the final hill and tried to get a glimpse of the clock- but another runner was blocking my view I caught a glimpse as I was passing and thought it said 24.47 but I wasn't 100%. Happy to cross the line I felt like I was going to throw up a lung, I was delighted to see I had made the top200 and got myself and gorgeous tshirt! I ran with SOS years ago and loved the blue jersey so I'm especially proud to have a tshirt with the anchor on it again!
    Couldn't wait for the results to see my official time which I finally got and I'm feckin delighted to have finally broke one of the barriers I thought I was never going to break- 24.49:D However I think that run thought me that I'm a long way from a sub 50 10k.
    Warm down of 1.38.
    Wed 29 4.53, should have took this a lot handier than what I did after running yesterday- I only became conscious that I was overdoing a recovery pace nearly 3 miles into this so slowed way down for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done madon, great to get a PB on what was I heard, not the easiest course. Are you a member of a club at the minute? I think it would really help pull you on and get you under that 50 minute mark. There are a few clubs in our area, my own club Dunleer has a group of women that meet every week on a Wednesday at the track in Drogheda and some other days as well. There is also Drogheda and Disctrict as well (boo!! :)). Could be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done on the PB, thats 3 mins off so great going...i agree a club would really make a difference to you...(im still not in one but i have visions of the future.....)

I will get around to joining a club- its hard to juggle time off work, kids stuff at the minute, I will next year:P
    Friday 10.03- Its been a few weeks since I got a 10 mile in and I felt it towards the end! Saying that I probably went too fast for a LSR but I'm finding it hard to run at the slow pace I ran probably 6 months ago.
    June 1st 5.04- I just hate running for the first 3 miles, once I get them over me I could keep going and only it was nearly 10 when I finished this run I could have gone another 3 or 4 miles. I started off slow and picked the pace up as the miles passed.
    Sunday 4.05- Just a slow 4 miles to finish the week off.

Plan for this week is to get another 10 in along with 2 by 2 miles at 10k and 2 by 1 miles at 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done on a super pb madon! I would love a sub 25 min 5k :)

I'm never posting my plans for the week ahead of time again- it just highlights what lack of motivation and drive I have:o:p
    Tuesday 4th June- 5.05
    Wed 4.34- this was to be my fast run but it just wasn't working out- I was getting niggles in my hip when I start picked up the pace, I'd rather run slow than risk putting it out so plan went out window, I ended up doing 4.34.
    Friday 6.01 Took a days rest Thursday, didn't have an aim in my head going out for this run I just wanted to see how the hip felt, ended up with 6.01 and the hip felt grand.
    Sat 10.22- lovely long run my slow pace has picked up and i feel comfortable running these around 9.30- 9.45, trying to slow these miles down is harder than running at this pace.
    Sunday 3.01- horrible miles:D Woke up with a sore throat that I thought would clear but didn't, then my nose started running. I stopped this at two miles and turned for home walked the first mile and jogged the second.
    Monday- 5.07 although I'm hoarse the sore throuat is gone and turned into a bit of a head cold.
    502.3 (Hooray- half way:D)

Been a while,
    Wednesday June 12th 8.47
    Friday June 14th 8.01
    Saturday June 15th 6.3
    Monday June 17th 6.52
    Tuesday June 18th 5.53
    Friday June 21st 4.02
    Sat Jun22nd 10.45
    Sunday June 23 2.56
    Tues June 25 3.11
    Wed June 26th 7.56

For the last few weeks I've been suffering slightly from stomach cramps again- it wasn't interfering to the point I needed to stop until about two weeks ago and has gradually been getting worse. From the run on the 18th I've had to make stops, the 10 miler last Saturday I had to stop twice and for hours after it I was cramping- Sundays run I started cramping and stopped through pure annoyance.
    I think it is dehydration or becoming dehydrated during a run- although I go bright red during a run I don't sweat loads in the winter- but since the humid tacky weather has rolled in I am covered with a layer of sweat getting changed before a run!
    I bought some rehydration drinks in Tesco (I don't know how good rehydration drinks that you buy in Tescos are but they'll do for the minute) drank one last night and again before this mornings run and although I did need to stop I didn't suffer with the terrible cramping that have done the last two weeks.
    I do drink about 3 litres of water a day as it is but maybe I need that extra something when the weather is the way it is. Hopefully this works.
    Anyway I've done feck all speed work but have entered a local 10k on Sunday- it starts at 3 so not a great time heat wise but I'll probably take some immodium before hand just this once! Going to aim for under 53 mins so 52.xx

Friday- June 28th 6.83- Plan was 5 miles and was running with a friend. I was unusually early so ran around the carpark a few times ended up with over half a mile clocked up before we set off. We ended up doing a longer route because we were busy gabbing!

Sunday June 30th- 7.21- Clogherhead 10k.
    Half a mile warm up run from my house to the start. The wind and rain made it like a winters day but I didn't mind. I went to the back of the runners waiting for the 50 balloon to make its way back but the race started and I again couldn't get my phone started. So I was left at the very back and had to weave up past everyone I was nearly 1km in by the time I was behind the pacer (about 50 metres- but I didn't want to really run with them) At 2k (exactly!!) my lace came undone so I had to stop and tie it but I ended up making a big knot that I couldn't get out because I was wet and I couldn't get a proper grip! Caught up with the 50's again settled down, I was surprsied at 5k that I still felt strong although I knew the 50's were starting to pull away a bit. At 6k the water station I turned to find I could still see the 50 balloons bobbing ahead of me and it gave me a little boast although I knew the hardest part of the course was at 8k. I was starting to tire but I realised that I was constantly passing people which is very unusual for me, I'm usually being passed by more than i do.
    At 7k I could see the balloons bobbing up over a hedge about half a km in front of me so I started the mental Maths and concluded that although I knew I didn't have it in me to catch them if I could keep my pace going I'd be in line for a better time than I had wanted. At 8k I put too much into the hill and when I got to the top I found it hard to keep my pace up. I settled behind a group of three lads and vowed to keep with them. I knew once I climbed the last hill at 9k I'd have a downhill finish but when i got to the top my lungs were screaming and I thought that even the downhill would struggle to bring me to the finish. However I got a few shouts from outside the local pub
    (says a lot for me dosn't it!) it gave me the kick up the ass I needed and away I went. I didn't see a clock at the line- I had no idea what time I had done, so I ran the half mile home showered, food, and finally got a text telling me I had done the 10k in 51.33- new PB:D.

Monday July 1st 4.01- Didn't feel the run in my legs but I felt the corona in my stomach and head- nice way to clear the hangover!

Haven't been doing a whole lot in the past two weeks- issues with stomach, weather and a genuine pissed off running need a break attitude!
    Tues jul 2nd 5 mile
    Thurs Jul 4th 4.04
    Sun Jul 7th 4.11
    Tues Jul 11 6.12
    Sat Jul 13 3.64

Nothing spectacular there- I've lost my running partner (the dog!) once the weather is warm- he's overheating during walks even. I feel a bit weird running without him, even though I run races on my own there is loads of people there, I feel exposed or something without him:rolleyes: Funny how you get used to things.
    I'm on holidays next week and although I'll be bringing my running gear I don't know whether I'll use it. I think the break will do me the world of good and when I come back I'll start marathon training hopefully.
    I was given a plan I don't know who's it is but I will have two long runs of 20 miles, which i like and HH plan didn't have.
    I'll be coming back and starting on a week with a 12/14 mile long run. So I should be able to slot in okay.

• Advertisement

From the 13th of July I had 9 days of no running:eek:
    First morning of the holidays I missed it after that I was aching too much from swimming, basketball, wall climbing and beer drinking to even think of going for a run. So my running gear came on hols and arrived home clean and unused!
    So back on the 23rd of July and struggled through a post holiday 4 mile 6 mile and 7 mile that week just to get back into it.
    Had another look at marathon training plans and decided not to go with the one I was thinking as it included a lot of speed training which i don't think I should be concerned with on a first marathon. (If I get to the start uninjured and then to the end by the 7 hour cut off I'm happy!) so I'm back with Hal intermediate one- no speed just marathon pace runs and includes two 20mile runs. I will need to tweek the weeks a little as the half marathon is on at different times. I also have an extra week in there, I have a wedding in September and I'm signed up for white collar boxing (which is the Sat after the marathon) and I wil have 6weeks training with that, so the extra week will come in handy if all gets too much.
    Any way Last week involved two 7 mile runs one at pace, two 4 mile and 14 miles.
    Both 7s went well- as did the fours. I'm not as impressed with my attempt at 14 although according to mcmillan I was close to the LSR guide times for a 4.15 marathon, I'll be over the moon at somewhere around 4.30. I did end up with mile 7,8,11,12,13 going over 11 minute miles though:D. But I learned a lot from it! I ran on a banana and two mouthfuls of water- at 6 mile I started cramping, so had to detour to home, I had another mouthful of water. So I ran 14 miles with just water and a banana. I think I will do something similar for this weeks 15, compare the slumps and then try a gel on the next LSR.
    Hips a little sore since but I couldn't get out for a run on Monday had a 12 hour shift at work which meant I was sitting for most of the day. I always feel really sore if I don't get in even 2 mile of a run the day after a run that I felt was hard.
    So this week is week 8 of the plan- was supposed to have a 7 yesterday but it ended up 6.53, I ran out of time I had to go watch a very important u12 gaa match! average pace 9.45- hopefully this will pick up in a couple of weeks but as the hip was sore I wasn't going to push this.
    4.04 mile today, average 9.09- hip felt much better during the run- however its still sore when I'm not running.
    I have a 4,7 and 15 left for the week.
    total 669.4

Thurs Aug 8th 7.06- hip feeling a lot better.
    Sat Aug 10th 15.01 mile- a big difference in this run and the14 mile run- although the pace was similar I felt it didn't take as much out of me especially at the end.
    Only the four runs this week- a busy Sunday meant no 4 mile run.
    Week 10 HH- 8-4-8-17
    Monday August 12 8.03- Should be a step back week but I have a very busy week next week so swopped.
    Wed Aug 14 4.03
    Friday Aug 16th 8.54
    Sat Aug 17th was supposed to finish work at 5.30 but had to sty on til 9.30 so no 4 mile
    Sun 18th 17.04- had 3 hours sleep and up at 6 for this one- nearly gave up when I opened the front door but invisible leg gave me a kick in the ass out. Glad its over now I tried to keep it slow at the beginning (maybe a bit too slowat times!) to see if i could pick it up at the end which I did- miles 12- 17 (took a gel at 11) were my fastest I even managed a 9.31 on mile 16. Last couple of hundred yards were a major struggle! Looking forward to a step back week next week now.

Step back week- 8-5-5-5-13. (Was planning on dropping a 5 as I had a bit of a mad week)
    Tues 20th- 8.05 Bit stiff at the beginning- by the end I could have ran the other 5 for my long run for the week. Pity I didn't as the long run just never happened:o
    Wednesday 21 5.27- Felt a little harder than it should.
    Fri 6.26- this was to be my 13 mile as we had a busy weekend but wasn't to be- had to stop with cramps.
    Sat 5.41- Thought I'd only get 4 in with the time I had but with the lack of miles I put that bit extra in (and had to leggit out to dinner with wet hair:D)

Week ???- I'm a bit all over the place! 8-5-5-5-18
    Monday 26th 5.04.
    Tues 27 8.61- ended up hitting 8 miles a mile from home- stopped and walked and got bored so ran the .61 at a very easy pace.
    Thurs 29 5.03
    Fri 30 18 mile- runkeeper messed up somewhere- I had exactly 18 mile and until I saved the run now its showing at 20 miles and showing miles 2-4 times as 1.38,1.41,7.24:confused: If i add them all together it gives in around 10.30 for that mile which makes sense. Anyway 18 felt better than the 17 and as with the 15 mile run I don't know how I will run and extra 8 on top of what i done. I took two gels at 12 and 15 mile and drank a bit of water- got a bit crampy around 17 miles- but I felt very weak at that stage. My average mile is messed up because of miles 2-4 but up to mile 12 I was averaging 10.30, Miles 13-14-15 were under 10 min and mile 17 10.26 mile 18 10.00. I'm happy with that my runs up to this were all faster at the start so its taking a real effort to slow down for the first half I might be slowing down a bit to much though:D.

Some super consistent training going on here madon. I read your log and become jealous of all ye pure runners! I miss running :(

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Some super consistent training going on here madon. I read your log and become jealous of all ye pure runners! I miss running :(

I read your log and get all jealous too I'd really love to do a tri, my Dad did them years ago and I remember going to Skerries when i was 6 watching him compete I always said I'd love to do one one day too.

Sat 31st aug 5.08- niggly pains in my right hip, knee, inside of right ankle I put it down to a delayed reaction to the long run.
    Week ??- 8-5-5-5-13
    Monday Sep 2 8.01 mile- felt the knee and ankle for the first 3 miles so headed to the beach for the last 5 and felt nothing.
    Tues 4.26 miles- Cut this short really feeling the right knee sore.
    Decided to take my two rest days together to see how the legs felt after a rest.
    Friday Sept 6- 5.13 Legs felt fine- I felt crap- like I had a cold coming on,
    13 mile never happened- kids sick OH sick, I felt crap but it never really hit me (or maybe it did and us Mammys just don't have the time to think about it:D)- I think this is the third short week where the shorter long run never happened.
    Week- 8-5-5-5-20
    Monday Sept 9th 5.03- Felt good.
    Tues Sept 10 8.04- Not a pain or an ache- one of those runs where it felt like I floated 8 miles.
    Thurs Sept 12 20.03-
    Reshuffle of days at work meant I was in all weekend, I could have still waited til Sunday for this run and probably would have had it finished in time for work if I got up at 5 and headed off but I know I would be going to bed tonight panicing that I'll miss my alarm and if I'm late out for the run I'd feel under pressure coz I was into work later in the morn etcetc
    So I decided a mile into Thurs run that I was going to do my 20 miles then when the kids were a school and I wasn't under pressure. So I ended up with a first mile of 9.04 took another mile to reset the mind into slowing down,
    Miles 1-10 9.04, 9.46,10.09,10.16, 9.51,10.14,10.26, 10.11, 10.27, 10.15,
    I felt very strong for these miles- no pains or aches. Was going to head home here to get water and gels but added a two mile loop before as I felt good.
    Mile 11 10.37- two nice big hills in this mile but I ffelt well able for them
    Mile 12 10.20- too home for water and gel and collected two more- I also dropped the dog home he had enough! and away I went again.
    Mile 13-20 10.05,10.28,10.09,10.55,10.29,10.47,9.51,9.47
    Took the second gel at 15 and a half- I walked the gel break to see how it compares to running it. Was less messy!
    Mile 17.5 took third gel and ran the gel break- some went down the wrong way and ended up stopping to take water so I think walking was the better option.
    I was surprised with how much I had left in my legs for the last two miles.
    Looking back on the last three runs I'm getting a bit anxious that I felt so good- I'm never happy- when I run **** I panic that I'll never get better now that I have a few good runs I think I'm hitting a peak.
    Sat 14 3.86 I was too lazy to get out of bed so ran out of time and had to cut this a mile short:D
    I entered the half next Sat I didn't think I'd get the time off work but it so happened I did. Not sure whether to just run it or try to go under 2 hours I think I'll leave that decision for the day.
    I have been doing a bit of stuff at home to try strengthen my core, I wasn't too regimental with it but in the last 4 weeks or so I have become more regular with one hour long session on my rest day and maybe two 1/2 or 3/4 hour sessions on my 5 mile days, I'm starting to notice I'm holding my upper straighter when I run I don't seem to 'bob' or slouch as much, I probably still look like I'm bobbing around the road though!

Sunday 15 5.60- I felt stiff until about 4 miles then the legs woke up, weather was terrible glad I had the LSR over.
    Monday 16 5.08- Right knee a bit sore- legs felt heavy and tired could have done with a day off but I won't get out tomorrow.

I ended up going out the next day- had to change shifts at work so couldn't go out Wed so
    Tuues 17th 4.04- good fast miles- legs were loving the increase in speed but 4 miles was enough!
    Sat Sept 21st Half Marathon 13.27 and around a mile warm up/ cool down.
    Started about 10/15 metre behind the 2 hour pacers. It took until mile 3 to fell the legs warmed up but thats nothing unusual. I had my phone in my waist bag (I won't call it a bum bag:o) but was just using it as a record I was planning that the 2 hour pacers would be my clock. I knew at three miles that i was going to keep with them and knew I was well able to do so. For the next 3 miles I floated from being beside them to being 10 metres behind, but I felt very comfortable with the pace, my breathing was fine, I felt relaxed and comfortable and happy that I felt so good. At six mile I started to tire slightly I wasn't concerned about it though and I let myself drift back a bit on the down hill section got my second wind and got back in the group.
    I took my first gel at 7 half miles with the plan of taking the second at 10 half. So all was going good I was still drifting between those 10 or so metres and was starting to plan for the end. I knew the bad hill were at 11 so I was debating whether if I felt as good as I did should I push ahead for the remaining stretch or just be happy to PB with the 2 hour pacers.
    Mile 9 I started to feel a heaviness in my side towards the end and slowed down a bit hoping the stitch would go away but it got worse. I ended up slowing way down to try get rid but everything that I usually do to get rid was making it worse. It got to the stage where I was coming up to the gate holding my side and thinking to myself that when I get out on the road if its still there I would have to walk. All of a sudden though the pain exploded and I had no choice but to just stop dead, I let out a gasp as well cos I had several heads around me turn. I was holding my breath afraid to breathe- the pain was that intense I thought I had collapsed a lung (and probably if I did I'd really know about it) I kind of stumbled to the side and took a breathe and realised then that the pain was not staying and starting to go. I was still freaked by it and seriously considered DNFing. I turned to head back and realised there was stewards at the gate and I would be better to go that way. So I walked on- by the time I got to the gate the pain was going so I stopped not sure what to do- and decided then to just keep walking that there would be stewards at the next gate too if I didn't feel right. So I kept walking and the pain kept fading. I tried a jog and I felt ok so I tried to pick the pace up and I could feel a heaviness so slowed back down. Although I felt like I was stopped for ages and I felt like I walked for most of this mile I recorded a 10.31 mile. So then I hit the hills determined not to walk them I got up them ok but I think I was so shocked to see so many people on the ground on the verge that I forgot the hills. Mile 12 I tried again to speed up thinking that whatever the pain was had gone but it started coming back again along with that my muscles felt so heavy I felt it a struggle to lift them.
    When I passed under the clock it read 2.11.56 I could have cried I was gutted. What really sums up my day happened when I crossed the line- I was pissed off and struggling to keep from being doubled over- if I was going to hit the ground I wasn't going to do it on the finish line, so I was walking in a dream like state and realised a woman was walking towards me with a box of milk tray (a huge box) I thought to myself that this box of chocolates was going to make everything better- her arm was starting to stretch out I was starting to uncurl from my bent over position I was nearly about to smile, arm was raising when all of a sudden she just swerved past me and handed the box to a woman coming behind me telling her it was a spot price- I'm still just gutted.
    Anyway I got a txt soon after Chip time was 2.03.46. I was surprised I thought I fell behind a lot more but my splits when I got home and looked were
    8.57/9.12/8.45/9.17/9.01/9.18/8.55/9.18/9.20/10.31/9.55/9.19/10.03/(8.56)
    I use runkeeper its not entirely accurate but its not far wrong.
    After reading other stories of the day I don't know if I was victim of the perfect storm of conditions or if i just hit the wall coz i wasn't fit enough- although if it was the later I can't reason why it happened so quick all the highs and lows up to it were normal and nothing that i was concerned with.

So moving on
    Mon Sept 23rd- 4.51 legs very sore and I felt very very tired.
    Tues Sept 24th- 7.03 legs still sore but I took this really really handy averaging 10.45 min miles so legs felt fine by the end.
    Wed 25th- 7.93 Legs fine think the slowness of Tues run done the world of good- again I was wrecked after it. Started boxing training that night, I have no coordination and found it hard to follow the moves- brain felt like mush.
    Fri 16.01- First half was fine but struggled to finish it- legs fine I'm just drained, I couldn't do a thing for the rest of the day. If I wasn't one 20 mile away from the marathon I don't think I'd be doing it now. and as it is my confidence in my fitness is at 0. I'm constantly hungry I'm even waking up at 5.30 in the morn hungry I'm having the weirdest dreams- Is this not supposed to happen during taper or am I ahead of myself.

Anyway next week is my last long run and I have to do it on Thurs with the way I'm working- I'm going to see how I feel though I might leave it to the following Monday.
    I'm kind of glad I didn't get to London now- marathon training hurts!

Last Fridays 16 miles really took it out of me I couldn't do anything else for the day my energy was at empty, it's a long time since a run has taken that much out of me but then I've had one of those colds thats not really bad but has been hovering since last weekend so maybe that was coming on.
    We also had a family wedding last weekend so no running done.
    Monday 30 Sept- I spent the whole day coming up with reasons not to go out i had that cold hanging over me and although I drank hardly anything we had a hectic weekend. Eventually I headed out for 5 (.06) miles- I felt great legs felt nice and strong, I was surprised thought i would struggle through it. I also had an hour boxing training and I ran .85 mile after to cool down.
    Wed Oct 2nd 8.78 miles legs a bit stiff at start but loosened out nicely by the end- nice strong wind into our face for the first half which was mainly down hill so was on our backs for the up hill return.
    Again had boxing training that night followed by .85 cool down
    Got mOnday off work so decided to leave the 20 mile til then it leaves me with exactly three weeks until DCM whereas to go this morn would be 3 half weeks plus I'm sore after boxing!
    Although I'd love to be sitting now knowing that I had all my long runs done I think I was been very sensible! So instead
    Thurs 3rd Oct 5.01- again the weather had my sulking out but really enjoyed it when I did go.

Sat 0ct 5th- 1.3miles, from the start I could feel a pain in my ankle like i twisted it - thought it might loosen during the run but it was getting worse to the point that it was running up my leg. Stopped and came home.
    Sunday ankle was no better. I knew it was more than a couple of days rest. Monday morning got appointment with a physio at 9.30. Pelvis is tilted and although its the right side thats in pain its my left side that the muscles are all tight. Told to hold off running for that day and to try 10 miles Tues even/ Wed morn. As pig headed as I am I don't want dropping out of the marathon to be an option. I want to cross the start and the finish line and if it takes me 7 hours to do so, so be it. Physio said he will try help me no point advising me if I don't listen. Had to ring him towards weekend to see how I went and for another appointment. Boxing training that night I laid off the fitness side of things and just concentrated on technique. Ankle felt looser.
    Ran Tues evening stopped after 7.50, was going fine small pain in ankle legs then the dog stopped for a pee and when I tried to go again my achilles had tensed completely found it hard to move my ankle.
    Wednesday morn ankle was ok- I was doing the stretches physio told me every chance i got.
    Wednesday evening at boxing I felt like I pulled a muscle in my stomach not too bad so I went for a run when I came home 3.36 miles- ankle felt a lot looser no pain in stomach.
    Rang physio Thurs made appointment for Friday morn. He warned me that if there wasn't significant improvment that I would have to go to an OSteopath.
    Thurs just before I left work I started getting a dull pain in my stomach, by the time I got home I felt sick with the pain, I knew it was the muscle but I as it got worse I started to think maybe it was appendicts (sp!) the strongest pain killers in my press wouldn't budge it. Eventually a heat pack did start to ease it. (this pain was the same I felt at mile 10 of the half)
    Friday physio, I was told this was the iliacus so this was worked on a bit, thankfully I thought it would be a lot more painful than it was. Afterwards that although there is improvment he will see what way i am after the weekend.
    Sat 12 5.04 ankle foot knee and leg on right side although a little sore wasn't too bad not enough to stop. Didn't stiffen after either.
    Iliacus felt heavy but not sore.
    So I missed my 20 mile run a few more. I am now upping my target time to under 5 hours, I think I will spend a lot of time walking the marathon but I'm determined to do it. I have also discovered after the first physio that this is very much connected to my tendancy to get cramps to the point that i need the leithris right now.

• Advertisement

Sun 12.23- Ankle was a little stiff at the start but by the time I was a mile in I couldn't really feel it anymore- just a slight tightness which didn't ease or get any worse for the remainder if the run. I'm happy with that if it gets me through the marathon so well and good. My pace was all over the place, I have a 9.34 mile and a 10.51 mile after it.
    I felt very tired after though- the run shouldn't have taken so much out of me.
    Mon Oct 14 3.88- Legs weren't sore after previous days run, which I thought they would be. I felt fairly strong although still a little tightness. I was running in the dark too and was very very weary of putting my foot down in a pothole or something, I know it would only take the slightest twist at the minute to put me out. Followed this with an hours boxing training, my arms
    were like lead for a few days after:o
    Tues another physio- he's happy with pelvis, worked the right foot, achilles ankle a bit more and said I was good to go. (Although I have a feeling I'll be seeing him again soon!)Wed 5.42
    Fri 4.93
    Sun 7.51- I ran out of time before work so had to leave this half mile short.
    Tues 3.01- Ran this good and fast- was boxing training Monday night and I did crap. Kept getting hit in the face and my punches when they did land seemed to have no power in them, needed a good fast run to get rid of the pissed offness! Ankle a bit stiff still but I don't think it will get better before the marathon.
    I don't feel prepared at all for this, I still think I can get from start to finish but I'm visioning 5.xx.xx. However I am going to go out with the 4.30 pacers and hope my ankle holds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

G'luck Madon. Enjoy!

(lb:cool:)

Best of luck madon. You can do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck madon, hope it goes well for you!

Wed 4.02
    Sun 2.25 to finish off taper week.

Right so the big day-
    Turned out I had registered for the wrong group (well it might have been the right group pre injury) but it didn't dawn on me until we were starting this morning.
    So I had no 4.30 pacers (but sure in the end I don't think I woul dhave stayed with them) when I crossed the line at the start I got really emotional up until then I really didn't think I was going to make it to the start and it hit me that I did then.
    First 3 miles went by- I was constantly been passed even though I started at the very back of the green group, I didn't mind though when my emotional moment passed I decided I was going to run by how I felt so didn't start my timer or anything.
    Through the phoenix park I felt it very long and draining, started to feel the psos stiffing on my left. Soon after I got a stitch in my right side.
    By the half way stage the stitch wasn't budging, as far as I can remember the 4.30 had passed me at this stage. I had taken my first gel at 6 mile 2nd at 10 , I reasoned that I would walk from what was around 13 half miles to the 14 mile sign where I would take my next gel and hope the stitch would have budged. This didn't happen and between then and mile 16 I walked and ran, at 16 miles I stopped and retied my lace as my right foot was really starting to hurt my achilles was seizing and my lace was irratating me coz it felt too tight. When I stood I felt the stitch gone- happy days.
    I ran in with a lot of caution I don't have splits but I can imagine that my average mile from here to 21 miles was around 12 min miles I really took it handy. At the water station around 21 miles (I think!) I took a gel and water and went to the loo- when I came out the 4.40 pacers were just running past so I decided to try keep with them. Happily I did until the end finishing in 4.47.07 (chip)
    At the beginning of the race I would have been happy to know I could finish iin this time but I'm feeling a bit of 'what if I hadn't have missed those last long runs' However although I struggled and hurt a lot doing it I really enjoyed the atmosphere and encouragement from the crowds going round- you just don't experience it in other races.
    1020.96 (woohoo- I won't have to run for the rest of the year now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ah Madon im so out of touch here i didn't even realise you were running. CONGRATULATIONS on completing your first marathon and that's a great time. Onwards and upwards, next year you can target 4.30 no problems!!;)

Congrats madon, you are part of the club now!

Triathlon next?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Congrats madon, you are part of the club now!

Triathlon next?

Not yet Solobally, doing the marathon along with the boxing thought me loads of lessons in how much time goes into doing multi events, it's on the bucket list still, I can work on it slowly- first thing is learning how to swim properly.

So post marathon- I stiffened up in the car something terrible but once I got out and moved I was fine- I had no physical wounds bar a very small blister on the bottom of my foot that was caused by badly worn fake ugg type boots that I put on after the marathon.
    Instead of tucking into the beers that I deserved that evening I went boxing training. Next day I had a massage booked I was surprised how unstiff I was- few minor aches, I didn't push the marathon and the lack of stiffness was proof!
    I could have went out running Friday but I had my big fight on Saturday night so I skipped it.
    Started back on Monday 4th November with 3 easy miles.
    Between then and now I have been out and about nothing major and no real structure. 3.53-5.05-4.01-7.67-2.53-6.04-3.75-6.03-4.52-1.56 (got a call to go to work .75 miles into a run) 7.76 and 5.31 this morning.
    I've had a pain in my lower back for the past week just above my right hip so I think the auld bones might be shifting again- few cramps along with it nothing major or that has stopped me running. I will have a slight break for the rest of the week anyway as my youngest will be getting tonsils out and the OH is working nights I can imagine the rest of the week will be spent tending to my little patients every need!
    After the few days break a visit to the physio (if I write it I'll have to book it!) and then into Bohermeen training. Looking forward to having a plan again (I just need to find one- probably go with HH again)

Just to keep log updated
    Dec 3rd 6.48
    Dec 5th 3.25
    Dec 7th 6.20
    Dec 9th 3.54
    Dec 10 4.73
    Dec 12th 7.5
    Haven't started any sort of structure for Bohermeen yet and probably won't until the New Year.

• Advertisement

Just to finish for this year-
    Mon 16 3.32
    Wed 183.27
    Sun 22 6.21
    Mon 23 3.11
    Wed 25 6.01
    Mixture of stormy weather, work and that horrible flu thats going made running very slack.
    Years total: 1135.35

Advertisement