Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well, I finally made it! My 1st year anniversary, 365 days SOBER! Delighted to be able to share this moment with my fellow forum members. Feels like a second birthday which is strange, but nice! Looking back over the past twelve months, I can honestly say, has been the best I've ever had. Nothing spectacular happened but it was a combination of a lot of smaller events and achievements that have made me content and warm inside.

So glad to say goodbye to that rotten, disgusting, poision that is alcohol. Such a powerful drug that has a serious detremental effect on both your physical and mental health. Glad to be out of that trap and illusion. All the falseness that goes with it and never getting to meet the real 'me' as it's been hidden behind this fog and mist that numbed every emotion I've ever had and made me half the man I could potentially be.

I am at my strongest mentally today than I have been in such a long, long time. I feel more at peace with myself and my choices. When bad things happen I can deal with them more rationally and not turn to booze to 'cope'.

I realise this all sounds very much as if I am full of my own self importance but I am just sharing how HAPPY I am to be free!

Hope the rest of you are all having a positive day and enchanting journey too.

Great work enoughalready delighted for you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Well, I finally made it! My 1st year anniversary, 365 days SOBER! Delighted to be able to share this moment with my fellow forum members. Feels like a second birthday which is strange, but nice! Looking back over the past twelve months, I can honestly say, has been the best I've ever had. Nothing spectacular happened but it was a combination of a lot of smaller events and achievements that have made me content and warm inside.

So glad to say goodbye to that rotten, disgusting, poision that is alcohol. Such a powerful drug that has a serious detremental effect on both your physical and mental health. Glad to be out of that trap and illusion. All the falseness that goes with it and never getting to meet the real 'me' as it's been hidden behind this fog and mist that numbed every emotion I've ever had and made me half the man I could potentially be.

I am at my strongest mentally today than I have been in such a long, long time. I feel more at peace with myself and my choices. When bad things happen I can deal with them more rationally and not turn to booze to 'cope'.

I realise this all sounds very much as if I am full of my own self importance but I am just sharing how HAPPY I am to be free!

Great stuff, now you're living! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Big cyber hug to you, enoughalready, you sound so positive and healthy of heart and mind. Well done you for getting to this point and best wishes for a promising future ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

auldgranny wrote: »
    Just to clarify, it's not medical advice I need. Have discussed with dr and have prescription. Just want to talk about how people find it etc..

Am sure you received pm's about antibooze tablets and their experience on it, so I will just post my personal experience. Yes you will get sick after taking the tablet and then drink, am talking projectile vomiting. Actually know a guy whose mother made him take it in front of her every morning, that gave her peace of mind, but didn't stop him going out & drinking. But in the beginning the tablet will last an hour or two, then your system will start to build a tolerance(same with any med's). After a while you will be able to drink within 30mins if you want.

So, I believe on its own it's pretty useless & you need other changes to happen aswell. Same as someone hooked up to oxygen 24/7 for their lungs but still smoking like a trooper every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I am so glad you posted this Doublin. I have not taken antibuse and so didn't want to comment but I too have witnessed alcoholics drinking on it-and it is not pretty. One man in my AA homegroup has permanent heart damage as a result of doing that very thing.

Perhaps it can be a tool to get started for some-but in my experience I haven't heard of many heralding it as some kind of long-term solution at all. For most of us it's the mind that's the real problem-the crazy obsession/compulsion with drink that we keep repeating over and over and over despite our best attempts at controlling it.

• Advertisement

I didn't want to say anything either as I have no experience myself however in my 3 years in AA I've heard of at least two deaths from people drinking on antibuse....

U guys are right, I know similar ones including a close call with myself, just didn't want to freak anyone out.. but was just putting out the point that it may be a short term deterrent it is no solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Doublin you have no idea how grateful I am that you answered me because I got no pm's about it. Have not taken it yet. I know antabuse is not the answer but at the moment I can't get four days in a row without drinking. I think it would help me a lot in the short term as there is no way I would drink while taking it. Every morning I wake up convinced I won't drink and almost every night I do. If I took antabuse for a month I feel it would give me a chance to take stock again and break the habit part of my dependancy.

All I wanted to ask really was what time of the day did people take it, is it very expensive, are there common
    side-effects. If someone would share their experience with me I would be so grateful.

Once again Doublin Thank you for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Wow. Unreal. Go out treat yourself to something nice and spoil yourself for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Abcxyz12345

Well done enoughalready!!! Its great to read the positive experiences of others so thank you. I'm almost 8 weeks now. Can't believe sometimes how I've even got through the past 8 weeks... Just one day at a time I suppose. This thread & those of you who contribute to it have been a huge support to me too over this time - thank you

• Advertisement

Doublin you have no idea how grateful I am that you answered me because I got no pm's about it. Have not taken it yet. I know antabuse is not the answer but at the moment I can't get four days in a row without drinking. I think it would help me a lot in the short term as there is no way I would drink while taking it. Every morning I wake up convinced I won't drink and almost every night I do. If I took antabuse for a month I feel it would give me a chance to take stock again and break the habit part of my dependancy.

All I wanted to ask really was what time of the day did people take it, is it very expensive, are there common
    side-effects.
    If someone would share their experience with me I would be so grateful.

Once again Doublin Thank you for replying.

I used to take them in the morning before work. I am no doctor, and can only go on my experience from taking these about 10yrs ago. And in my head then somewhere I knew I was going to drink again, even if I tried to ignore it & show I stopped it for others. In my opinion someone posted HALT on another thread which I believe is much more beneficial. My side effects were initial nausea, feeling of numbness, dislocation from reality, just not right within myself. Again that was just me and my head was fighting out what I did or didn't want to do.

One, me being stupid, story was my partner being so happy at my efforts to stay off the drink invited me into the main bathroom (I just used the ensuite for the 3 s's the main bathroom was hers) for some romantic time. I'd been on the tablets for about a month by then. So there I am with a beautiful naked woman who I loved and who wanted me but I could not feel anything my whole body was actually thingling. I left the bathroom & crawled into bed. She didn't understand it, I couldn't explain what happened properly as I didn't understand it. It was a day or so later I stopped taking them.

So as I said previously your head/craving will beat any med's every time. Hell I've walked out of hospital after being in a coma for a month from drink and first stop was an offie for a bottle of vodka.

So as I said previously your head/craving will beat any med's every time. Hell I've walked out of hospital after being in a coma for a month from drink and first stop was an offie for a bottle of vodka.

Anyone ever tell you you might have a problem with alcohol lol ?:D

Just have to laugh because I did something much similar. Started out drinking with a friend one night-to "celebrate" my being sober for ONE whole month (lol) and getting a new job. This time I was only going to stick to beer/wine etc so I wouldn't get crazy- right?
    By the night's end I was in hospital having suffered a vicious assault and nearly being killed.
    First thing I did when getting back to the flat? Picked up the same bottle I'd been drinking from the night before and took a big swig. My friend nearly beat me with the bottle as her nerves were absolutely shot by this point.
    And all I felt was rage at her for trying to take away the last of my drink!

Yes...the alcoholic mind is truly something to behold.

Embarrassing posting this now but I was a bit of a mess in my early 20s even before it completely took hold of my life. A mate and I were both pissed, we had a bottle of vodka with the security thing on the top. So we broke the top open off a door and shards of glass went in to the bottle. We weren't aware of it at the time as we were wasted so we drank it. I ended up getting taken away in an ambulance and getting my stomach pumped, pretty much could have died.

What did I do the next weekend? Got drunk of course.... :( . I was so ****ing lost it's sad thinking back to that mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Doublin wrote: »
    I used to take them in the morning before work. I am no doctor, and can only go on my experience from taking these about 10yrs ago. And in my head then somewhere I knew I was going to drink again, even if I tried to ignore it & show I stopped it for others. In my opinion someone posted HALT on another thread which I believe is much more beneficial. My side effects were initial nausea, feeling of numbness, dislocation from reality, just not right within myself. Again that was just me and my head was fighting out what I did or didn't want to do.

One, me being stupid, story was my partner being so happy at my efforts to stay off the drink invited me into the main bathroom (I just used the ensuite for the 3 s's the main bathroom was hers) for some romantic time. I'd been on the tablets for about a month by then. So there I am with a beautiful naked woman who I loved and who wanted me but I could not feel anything my whole body was actually thingling. I left the bathroom & crawled into bed. She didn't understand it, I couldn't explain what happened properly as I didn't understand it. It was a day or so later I stopped taking them.

I just think it might help if I took them for a month to break me out of this spiral I am in at the moment. I am miserable and feel very alone and vulnerable. It's like the alcohol is in control of me and I don't seem able to fight it. I know this is stupid but it's how i feel. If I could take a break so I could start to take control of my life I feel it would help.

I just think it might help if I took them for a month to break me out of this spiral I am in at the moment. I am miserable and feel very alone and vulnerable. It's like the alcohol is in control of me and I don't seem able to fight it. I know this is stupid but it's how i feel. If I could take a break so I could start to take control of my life I feel it would help.

It's not stupid at all and please don't feel alone, we are all here for each other on Boards, even if we wouldn't know each other in the street, everyone is rooting for you and wants to help. Have you considered residential rehab to give yourself a forced break from it so you can get your head clear?

ok, I understand and get where you are are coming from. It is not stupid. If you think these will give you a break and give you time to turn things around then go for them.

But you know deep down the answer will have to come from somewhere else, thats all I meant. Unfortunate but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Not sure if this is the right thread for this or not? Anyway, I was at a work event today which required me to serve alcohol to the public, It was a small enough event and was basically me just pouring wine in the kitchen on my own into glasses and then handing them out to various individuals.

I smelled the wine as I was pouring it and got a shiver down my spine. Surprisingly, I did not long for some or even want to fantasise about it. I just smiled smugly and thought to myself, thank God those days are over!

Don't know if it would have been different if I was pouring vodka drinks or my old favourite, cider. But all in all, I'm glad to be lying here in bed, eletric blanket on and out of harms way!

Still in two minds about my work christmas party in 2 weeks time... I've paid for it but will decide on the evening whether it feels right for me to go, afterall, I should be looking after number 1, cause once I'm making sure I'm okay that is when I can help other people more effectively.

Good night fellow boardies x

Sounds like a good plan, enoughalready. I'm happy to be giving mine a miss - 7 hours of free bar makes for a very sloppy night indeed, not for the faint hearted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

hubba wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan, enoughalready. I'm happy to be giving mine a miss - 7 hours of free bar makes for a very sloppy night indeed, not for the faint hearted.

I am going to mine, however I have my exit plan ready

Car outside (which is ridiculous considering I would normally take a bus to where the party is as it is valet parking only...the price of maintaining sobriety)
    Have dinner
    Stay for the speeches by the Managers

By then, most people will be sloppy enough that they won't notice me slipping out at 10pm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Abcxyz12345

I had a funny one this weekend... I used to work for a company for a long time but left a few years ago. I meet up with some of my old colleagues every 6 months or so. My drinking during that time was especially heavy & chaotic. Anyway we were due to meet last night in town. I felt really muddled yesterday bout going in. I wanted to go in but there was doubt in me re drinking & I was feeling confused but determined. I rang my sponsor & spoke bout it, had a plan re leaving early & driving & got in a mtg.

So I was all set to go... And then i got a text to say the night was cancelled! And it was because the official company party was the night before & they were all hung over & dying!! I couldn't help but laugh at the madness of it all & feel so grateful - that the decision was taken out of my hands & that it wasn't me that was dying sick & canceling on friends. I had a lovely day with my mother today & I would have bailed on that hungover & upset her and others in the process. I'm glad that madness is not in my life today x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 ShivaDark

I haven't drank since Paddy's Day two years ago, lost interest in drinking after that night plus the hangovers were horrible (I also have a weak kidney). Since I've stopped drinking, my friends no longer invite me to social situations anymore. Clearly they are not my friends if they don't want to be around me without alcohol being involved.

Is there any fun activities happening in North Eastern Donegal at night that doesn't involve drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 firstday

Started not drinkin 2 days ago, its major decission ive made cause most of my life revolves around alcohol. im 26 now and its getting well out of control, ive lost friends, destroyed relationships,never have any money,my work isnt as productive as it should be,bouts of depression and anxiety,waking up the next morning feeling ashamed and its all drink related. ive been reading this thread today and its giving sum hope of stayin away from it for good. keep up the gud work

Best of luck on your journey firstday, this is a fantastic support forum, everyone is so giving with their time and advice. I hope you achieve the goal you have in mind.

My 100th post on my 376th day of sobriety...feeling great! On top of all my college commitments and assignmnets. Work has never been better and gaining more respect and responsibilities as the weeks go on. Family no longer worry about me and can depend on me to be around and commit to promises I've kept. Only issue is my social life has basically evaporated over the last 376 days. I basically have three friends I keep in close contact with and socialise with. The rest have all fallen off the radar. I feel sometimes that I need to blow off some steam, get out of my head and body for a while. I realise how silly that sounds but okay over the last year I've excelled and am the happiest I've ever been but still there is this part of me that needs a release, a blow out of some sort....trying to come up with some ideas which that could involve (without alcohol) obviously....any suggestions? The everyday stress can build and build and build ... just want a safe way to let loose instead of falling off the wagon when the stress becomes too much....does that make sense???

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭shamsteak

Are you into any kind of exercise? I'm not the fittest in the world myself but the small bit of exercise I do helps clear my head a lot. My wife is the opposite, she is a fitness fanatic and has a fairly stressful job. She maintains that working out always relieves her stress. If the gym or walking isn't your thing, why not look into a local soccer or GAA team, martial arts club or cycling club etc. All the best to you, keep it up!.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Check out Funky Seomra - perfect for an alcohol free blowout - full of people doing exactly that.

https://www.facebook.com/FunkySeomra

9pm on a Friday night and I'm cuddled up in the safety of my bed with electric blanket on and I've the hot water bottle to keep me company! Work christmas party just about starting in town tonight! So glad to have abstained. Up at 6am for work in the morning for a 13hr shift so just as well I'll be hangover free and well rested. Maybe next year I will feel different and not avoid these social situations but for now, this decision is the right one for me. Hope everyone else is doing well and content with their choices. Sweet dreams x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I did not bother with my work Christmas party this year. Looking forward to a rest after a busy week in work.
    This will be my second alcohol free Christmas. Looking forward to having family home.

Proud of you guys.....:) Hope everyone else is doing ok.....yer all in my thoughts this season.

• Advertisement

I struggle at this time of year. Not because everyone is drinking and I'm not - I just find it a very lonely and sad time of year. I dread it coming and can't wait for it to be over. So to all of you out there who are feeling the same, my thoughts are with you, don't think you are alone - post on here if you want to rant or just some company and remember it will all be over soon.

And to the rest of you happy things, enjoy the season and stay strong.

Happy Christmas one and all.

Advertisement