Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

hubba wrote: »
    Three and a half years this week and I've no regrets whatsoever, life alcohol free is incomparable to the anxiety ridden, half life of booze I had before.:D

On my wishlist is that more people would see the light, as it were, and that Irish people in general would wake up to the fools gold that booze is. For some reason, even the most enlightened and intelligent remain in denial about it. And I guess that as long as alcohol sales generate great returns to the exchequer, there will be no government programmes to improve the situation.

Well done Hubba delighted for you x :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

How do people Manage at Christmas.?
    I gave up entirely for a while, now I Have a glass every couple of weeks at home
    I'm reluctant to go out at Christmas as I find it hard. It's got to the Stage where I find people doing the 12 pubs immature. Also I'm working Christmas and have been invited to boyffriends after but am reluctant as I know they will have been drinking all day.
    So how else do people Manage with the Christmas season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    How do people Manage at Christmas.?
    I gave up entirely for a while, now I Have a glass every couple of weeks at home
    I'm reluctant to go out at Christmas as I find it hard. It's got to the Stage where I find people doing the 12 pubs immature. Also I'm working Christmas and have been invited to boyffriends after but am reluctant as I know they will have been drinking all day.
    So how else do people Manage with the Christmas season.

It really depends on your situation. I am a recovered alcoholic: that means no "managing" or trying to control my drinking. It's overand has been for some time so there is no fight. I don't have to do anything but continue to stay active in AA and be grateful that I can attend any function or event and drink a coke (or whatever) and be happy with it. I don't mind others drinking-in fact I hate it if anyone ever feels the need to not drink around me as it matters nothing to me what they do, it only matters what I do.
    I simply do not drink alcohol anymore and instead focus my attention on having a good time and living in the day.

So-what is your situation re: alcohol?

I don't like being around people that are drinking. I'm simply asking how others deal with it

I don't like being around people that are drinking. I'm simply asking how others deal with it

Ok, it's just that this thread is called " Haven't touched a drop in...." and most people participating have been those who either want to stop completely or sharing how long it's been since they had their last one. Apologies if I misunderstood your question.

• Advertisement

I know exactly what the thread is called there's no need to capitalise it.
    I posted on here last year when I had completely given up. Now I have the odd one when I'm out.to dinner and that's it.
    So I'll ask again, what.do people do at Christmas. I've so far got out of the Christmas party and meeting a friend. I cannot stand to be around drunk people, and I also don't like the barrage of questions as to why I'm not drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

I know its a tricky one isn't it! I tried to vain all month to dodge questions about the Christmas party and keep my name off the list, however during the weekend they all found out and have guilt tripped me into going. Some even said sure they'd put some vodka into my orange juice to spice things up, all the while knowing that I've given up the booze (in their defence they don't know to what extent or how serious I am).

I didn't want to go but the more I though about it the more I realised - why should I miss out? If the urges get too strong I can just leave and that will be that, I deserve to go after working damn hard all year and look forward to a night out with my peers for dinner and a few orange juices with live music and a bop around the dancefloor.

Still apprehensive and I know I won't be fully comfortable around the silly drunken behaviour (that I used to engage in) but fcuk it! I'm sure I'll get over it, it can be a test as I'm sure there are going to be future events that require my prescence (i.e. weddings etc...)

Your stronger than me. Once I saw everyone else around me drinking I know I'd start. Then being naturally shy and socially anxious I'd start drinking very fast to compensate
    Then I'd end up being the one people talk about for weeks as Usual. Even though I hate drunk people I hate it because I know how I used to behave.
    Got out of the party this year because I'm on crutches
    And I'm.outraged that people think they can spike your drink for a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Your stronger than me. Once I saw everyone else around me drinking I know I'd start.

Your answer is probably in the above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

This Christmas is gonna be tough alright, it'll be the first xmas since I started drinking at 16 which won't be a total piss up. I mean Halloween night was hard and that was only one night. Christmas is weeks of temptation so this will test me. So I decided I'll do everything thing 'normal' people do this time of year.

Last night I went to the 'turning on the lights ceremony' in my home town for the first time ever. It was nice. A massive crowd turned up which usually would've completely put me off (anxiety disorder mixed with being hungover/drunk) but I loved it. The Gaélscoil kids sang choir songs which made me and my friend reflect that around 18 years ago that would've been us. A weird feeling considering I've wasted around 10 of those years but I feel like I've begun to earn that time back, I felt great.

And that's what I'll do this year, just plain old normal things. I won't be able to avoid the pub. Too many friends and family coming back from abroad to stay away from the old meeting grounds but I'll just leave if it gets annoying, which it eventually will ;)

Overall this Christmas will be a different experience for me but that's exactly what I need going forward. (Fíanna Fáil really ruined that phrase for me). Today I'm 7 months sober and it's about time I started living again. It'll be challenging, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

So best of luck folks, I highly doubt I'd be where I am now without this thread so can I be the first to say a heartfelt Merry Christmas everybody...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

GerB40 wrote: »
    This Christmas is gonna be tough alright, it'll be the first xmas since I started drinking at 16 which won't be a total piss up. I mean Halloween night was hard and that was only one night. Christmas is weeks of temptation so this will test me. So I decided I'll do everything thing 'normal' people do this time of year.

Last night I went to the 'turning on the lights ceremony' in my home town for the first time ever. It was nice. A massive crowd turned up which usually would've completely put me off (anxiety disorder mixed with being hungover/drunk) but I loved it. The Gaélscoil kids sang choir songs which made me and my friend reflect that around 18 years ago that would've been us. A weird feeling considering I've wasted around 10 of those years but I feel like I've begun to earn that time back, I felt great.

And that's what I'll do this year, just plain old normal things. I won't be able to avoid the pub. Too many friends and family coming back from abroad to stay away from the old meeting grounds but I'll just leave if it gets annoying, which it eventually will ;)

Overall this Christmas will be a different experience for me but that's exactly what I need going forward. (Fíanna Fáil really ruined that phrase for me). Today I'm 7 months sober and it's about time I started living again. It'll be challenging, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

So best of luck folks, I highly doubt I'd be where I am now without this thread so can I be the first to say a heartfelt Merry Christmas everybody...

Most AA groups do Xmas day meetings and they are the best meetings of the year. They send you in to your Xmas period with confidence and remind you of the reasons you gave up. You'll be fine Ger everyone's first Xmas causes this kind of anxiety but to be fair to you because you care and are cautious you'll be grand.

My only regret was my first Xmas 3 years ago I went to the work Xmas party. I was only 3 months sober and wasn't ready for it. Was extremely tough but I managed to not touch a drop.

My group is having meetings all day long on Christmas day as are many others around the country. You can even pop in and out for one and some fellowship before any family events Ger....it often helps take the edge off of the day and can really be fun as well.

New Years was the one I was worried about my first year. My first New Years Day waking up sober was one of those spiritual experiences they talk about. I felt like I was in a film, couldn't believe I'd made it through a New Year's Eve with no alcohol....and was happy about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Still apprehensive and I know I won't be fully comfortable around the silly drunken behaviour (that I used to engage in) but fcuk it! I'm sure I'll get over it, it can be a test as I'm sure there are going to be future events that require my prescence (i.e. weddings etc...)

Just be careful, enoughalready. It sounds like you've been peerpressured (new verb) into it and if you are not 100% sure of your resolve when surrounded by people trying to strong arm you into drinking all night then think twice. Since I've quit I've been to a few xmas parties but I find them horrendous. This year I'll be giving it a miss but am sure to get weeks of grief from my 'friends' for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

A poster here mentioned antabuse. I would like to discuss this with someone. Anyone willing to exchange pms on the subject?Thanks.

hubba wrote: »
    Just be careful, enoughalready. It sounds like you've been peerpressured (new verb) into it and if you are not 100% sure of your resolve when surrounded by people trying to strong arm you into drinking all night then think twice. Since I've quit I've been to a few xmas parties but I find them horrendous. This year I'll be giving it a miss but am sure to get weeks of grief from my 'friends' for it.

Something that seems so obvious and yet had to be pointed out to me repeatedly in early sobriety: we are free to leave anywhere as soon as we get too uncomfortable. That is one of the genuine gifts of sobriety...the ability to remove myself from any situation I want the minute I feel it necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

1 day. I am back to thinking that I don't want to go into the supermarket alone because the temptation to buy a bottle of wine is too strong. Of course, I can't tell anyone why I don't want to go into the supermarket because I am supposed to be 3 years strong. :(

1 day. I am back to thinking that I don't want to go into the supermarket alone because the temptation to buy a bottle of wine is too strong. Of course, I can't tell anyone why I don't want to go into the supermarket because I am supposed to be 3 years strong. :(

I'm sorry Emma but I am a bit confused, what does '1 day' refer to? One day back sober? If so-welcome back.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I'm sorry Emma but I am a bit confused, what does '1 day' refer to? One day back sober? If so-welcome back.

Isn't that the title of the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

auldgranny wrote: »
    A poster here mentioned antabuse. I would like to discuss this with someone. Anyone willing to exchange pms on the subject?Thanks.

Just to clarify, it's not medical advice I need. Have discussed with dr and have prescription. Just want to talk about how people find it etc..

Isn't that the title of the thread?

Sigh....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Guys, please keep it friendly and supportive in this thread/forum/world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

To be fair I don't think AmazingFun was trying to nasty at all. SHe was just asking a question from what I've gathered....

Anyway hope you're ok Emma. Use this thread and forum for support.

Kunkka wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think AmazingFun was trying to nasty at all. SHe was just asking a question from what I've gathered....

Anyway hope you're ok Emma. Use this thread and forum for support.

In fairness, I don't think AmazingFun was being offensive either... I was just like :eek: What else could I possibly be talking about? And any off topic stuff that had been going on should be considered a secondary discussion and I wasn't bothered reading through the thread to work out what off topic stuff AmazingFun could have thought I was referring too.

Sorry AmazingFun if you thought I was being smart. I was honestly thinking what else could I be possibly talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

I know exactly what the thread is called there's no need to capitalise it.
    I posted on here last year when I had completely given up. Now I have the odd one when I'm out.to dinner and that's it.
    So I'll ask again, what.do people do at Christmas. I've so far got out of the Christmas party and meeting a friend. I cannot stand to be around drunk people, and I also don't like the barrage of questions as to why I'm not drinking.

Im with you on this one, have no interest in drinking any more, prob about 3 years since a I had a drink and im sick of people still trying to get me to have a drink and then when I tell people I don't drink they look at me like ive 10 heads and ask in horror why I don't drink! sick of having to explain myself. Also don't like been around people when they are drinking, don't mind them having 1 or 2, but once the get drunk then it just annoys me

Thanks folks, yeah I totally take on board what you are saying. I am free to leave anytime I want, sure I'll have the car outside and just need to slip away without a scene.

Funny how times have changed, I used to be that person egging others to drink up, more and faster. Obviously to match my drinking and so no one would be sober enough to remember the fool I made of myself! So so so so so so so glad to be out of that world. Not an ounce of 'want' is in me today or for the past few weeks, I look gratefully at my situation now and am so thankful I am sober and not drinking, honestly have had such a brilliant year so far! Achieved so much and I am starting to peel back layers to my character and realise who I really am, without the fog of alcohol!

I realise I have a strong will, a determination that once I put my mind to something I go hell for leather and don't stop until I reach my goals.
    I have abundance of time, energy and money at my disposal which I am using all productively for the first time in a decade!

If the sober life was for sale, I'd bankrupt myself to buy it!

Thanks to all for being so supportive - you folks ROCK! Sometimes I have no one else that REALLY gets it so it is so humbling to have you guys x x x

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Ok, it's just that this thread is called " Haven't touched a drop in...." and most people participating have been those who either want to stop completely or sharing how long it's been since they had their last one. Apologies if I misunderstood your question.

@ EmmaBrighton: I had only made this post on the thread myself yesterday (to a different poster who is apparently still controlling and enjoying their drinking) which is why I *sighed* at yours lol....;)

Anyways it's all good. Hope you're able to get back on track and kick off the New Year sober and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KaseyTantrum

I've been off and on drink for about ten years now. Finally OFF, now. I never wanted to drink and didn't at all until I went to college. I never enjoyed it and always did it to avoid being the odd one out. But I finally realised, when I stopped, that I began to like myself a lot more.

For those of you who struggle, particularly at this time of year, the best piece of advice I have been given in relation to this (and many other things) is: When you say "no" to others you say "yes" to yourself.

The people I admire most are people who do their own thing and never, ever feel the need to justify their actions to others. Authenticity is key. So go out, enjoy the Christmas, and when it gets messy, go home, and be proud of yourself that you've been true to yourself.

Well, I finally made it! My 1st year anniversary, 365 days SOBER! Delighted to be able to share this moment with my fellow forum members. Feels like a second birthday which is strange, but nice! Looking back over the past twelve months, I can honestly say, has been the best I've ever had. Nothing spectacular happened but it was a combination of a lot of smaller events and achievements that have made me content and warm inside.

So glad to say goodbye to that rotten, disgusting, poision that is alcohol. Such a powerful drug that has a serious detremental effect on both your physical and mental health. Glad to be out of that trap and illusion. All the falseness that goes with it and never getting to meet the real 'me' as it's been hidden behind this fog and mist that numbed every emotion I've ever had and made me half the man I could potentially be.

I am at my strongest mentally today than I have been in such a long, long time. I feel more at peace with myself and my choices. When bad things happen I can deal with them more rationally and not turn to booze to 'cope'.

I realise this all sounds very much as if I am full of my own self importance but I am just sharing how HAPPY I am to be free!

Hope the rest of you are all having a positive day and enchanting journey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Well, I finally made it! My 1st year anniversary, 365 days SOBER! Delighted to be able to share this moment with my fellow forum members. Feels like a second birthday which is strange, but nice! Looking back over the past twelve months, I can honestly say, has been the best I've ever had. Nothing spectacular happened but it was a combination of a lot of smaller events and achievements that have made me content and warm inside.

So glad to say goodbye to that rotten, disgusting, poision that is alcohol. Such a powerful drug that has a serious detremental effect on both your physical and mental health. Glad to be out of that trap and illusion. All the falseness that goes with it and never getting to meet the real 'me' as it's been hidden behind this fog and mist that numbed every emotion I've ever had and made me half the man I could potentially be.

I am at my strongest mentally today than I have been in such a long, long time. I feel more at peace with myself and my choices. When bad things happen I can deal with them more rationally and not turn to booze to 'cope'.

I realise this all sounds very much as if I am full of my own self importance but I am just sharing how HAPPY I am to be free!

Hope the rest of you are all having a positive day and enchanting journey too.

Congratulations enoughalready, that's a massive milestone and whether you feel like you're full of yourself or not is completely irrelevant, today is your day and you deserve to feel as happy as you do. Personally I'm more looking forward to day number 365 than my birthday (today is day number 215, they're slowly adding up) and when, or if, I do reach the year mark I'm going to want to shout it from the rooftops. So enjoy yourself enoughalready, have a cup of tay, have a big dirty takeaway or do whatever takes your fancy because this day last year you made a huge life choice, and you're a better person now because of it..

• Advertisement

Great stuff enough! Just don't celebrate your one year by having a drink this weekend or the like lol....sounds crazy but believe me some have done it!

This is the first year of the rest of your life as a sober person....like Ger above me said so well: enjoy every minute of it :)

Advertisement