Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Sports presenters making sexist comments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

dfx- wrote: »
    There are some very poor sports journalists and also some of the best at the Guardian. I also listened to Keys' attempted apology on talkSPORT this afternoon on the Guardian site with their sub-heading "Amazing remarkable interview". That was invented. I didn't find it amazing or remarkable.

Just to follow up on my reply above to this quote, I looked at the page again on the Guardian's website. The heading was "Richard Keys: listen to his remarkable apology interview - audio". What exactly is wrong with that sentence? Ignoring the obvious fact it is not "invented", it is a remarkable interview. A man who was on the verge of losing his job, virtually committed career suicide in an interview. Take this sentence for example:
    Sky Sports is not inherently sexist … we're a little bit like Wimbledon: we've had to upset a few people on the way to get noticed. All those colourful jackets I used to wear … but there's many people drinking from the well that we dug … success breeds envy

He is basically defending what they do as being part of what made them successful. It is the "it's the way we are" defence. It is miind-boggling he would say such things. Or how about this gem:
    One of the reasons that we were probably in overdrive on Saturday is that we had a fresh guest with us – Matt Murray, who used to play in goal for Wolves – we wanted to make him feel relaxed and comfortable. That was part of that process.

Yes sure what better way is there to make somebody feel comfortable than a bout of rampant sexism?

Lastly this quote about Karren Brady shows how little remorse he has for what was said. Once again we have the "give us a break love" attitude on show. He continued to dig a deeper hole for himself. He got a few digs in at Brady and is trying to paint her as scheming, manipulative etc. Whereas her point about sexism in football has pretty much been made for her by what Keys and Gray said on Saturday and in this interview. He is hardly proving her wrong with his carry on.
    I tried to ring Karren [Brady] twice on Sunday night. She didn't answer the phone. There is no answer phone on Karren's mobile. That may be a sign of the times at West Ham. So I texted her and asked her to ring me back… she chose not to respond to my text. A by-product of all this is that it's taken West Ham out of the press and she knows, and so does everybody else, what a mess they made of trying to appoint Martin O'Neill. She was getting it in the neck, she claims that's because she is a woman. She played that card, rightly or wrongly

All in all, that was a remarkable interview. Any sensible person would have been contrite and remorseful. Instead he is ranting about dark forces. He left himself little choice but to resign as he would no doubt have been sacked after that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/audio/2011/jan/26/richard-keys-talksport-interview-audio

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

None of that is remarkable or amazing.

The comment about Wimbledon has nothing to do with his comments. It's stating the obvious that Sky back in 1992 when he started had to shake the system up to get themselves noticed. Anyone who has watched football knows this to be the case for the past 15 years. This is no shock revelation. What he is saying is that they've made enemies and they've come back to haunt them now. A perfectly rational assumption.

Maybe he feels that is a contributing reason, however at all times he is at pains to stress that his comments were still wrong throughout. Have you omitted that part?

He tried to apologise to Karren Brady personally, she chose not to. If anyone is playing the sexism card, it is Brady. What he is referring to is her claim in her newspaper column that she found it tough at Birmingham City as Chief Executive purely because she was female. In truth she was a very poor Chief Executive, which the new owners are finding out how bad the mess she left was and now her new club are finding it too. He is allowed to disagree you know

There's nothing shocking in the interview at all. It is tabloid-esque to call it remarkable or amazing.

Meanwhile, there's a great article by Fiona Looney in the Daily Mail today about it and Mary Robinson turning up at a game in 1990 :D
    ...the presidential election was merely days away. Mary Robinson, the candidate who would become Ireland's first president was in the final, dizzying days of a campaign that was beginning to run away with itself when she came to the RDS to see the new tenants Shamrock Rovers play a league match. I can't remember anything about it now except that when Mrs. Robinson's arrival at the ground was announced over the PA, a couple of thousand football fans robustly sang a chorus of get your **** out for the lads. When I say that I was among them...I was right there singing my heart out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It was a remarkable interview, we are remarking on it. Frankly I was astounded Keys made such an absolute PR gaffe, for a so called professional with years of experience dealing with the press.

I don't understand why you brought up the Fiona Loony piece at all.

And as to Karren Brady, she may or may not be good at her job, but Keys whinging about her not taking his call is beyond pathetic. Why indeed should she take it?
    ALex Ferguson refuses to talk to the BBC, period, over a piece they did on his son years ago, Wenger and Huges once refused to shake hands over a spat, people can be petty or they can be principled. Maybe Brady is being one or the other or both. But Keys only brought that up to belittle Brady while playing the poor me card.
    Yes he said waht he did was 'wrong' when he spoke yesterday, but he seems to have no understnding why he was wrong. His reasons were ridiculous, studios are scary places so he was being sexist to to relax guests. Oh please.
    It's all good and well him crying 'LEAVE SIAN MASSEY ALONE" but if he and that inbecile Gray had not created this perfect storm Massey would not have missed the Crewe game nor have been splashed all over the tabloids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Woah, i cant believe how divisive this had been and that some people on here really believe the comments were ok.
    Has the female linesman spoken out about it yet? I would love to hear her story.It must be unbelievably tough becoming an official in the male dominated world of sport, so fair play to her. She is my new heroine!

dfx- wrote: »
    None of that is remarkable or amazing.

The comment about Wimbledon has nothing to do with his comments. It's stating the obvious that Sky back in 1992 when he started had to shake the system up to get themselves noticed. Anyone who has watched football knows this to be the case for the past 15 years. This is no shock revelation. What he is saying is that they've made enemies and they've come back to haunt them now. A perfectly rational assumption.

Maybe he feels that is a contributing reason, however at all times he is at pains to stress that his comments were still wrong throughout. Have you omitted that part?

He tried to apologise to Karren Brady personally, she chose not to. If anyone is playing the sexism card, it is Brady. What he is referring to is her claim in her newspaper column that she found it tough at Birmingham City as Chief Executive purely because she was female. In truth she was a very poor Chief Executive, which the new owners are finding out how bad the mess she left was and now her new club are finding it too. He is allowed to disagree you know

There's nothing shocking in the interview at all. It is tabloid-esque to call it remarkable or amazing.

Meanwhile, there's a great article by Fiona Looney in the Daily Mail today about it and Mary Robinson turning up at a game in 1990 :D

First off, they never mentioned the word amazing. I thought that would be clear when I copied the headline and the link to the headline. I'm not sure why you continue to claim they did.

His Wimbledon comment refers to a culture of banter. Yes he refers to Sky making enemies (again another hint at mild delusion as he seeing enemies everywhere, yet he is entirely to blame for the situation). Wimbledon were famous for their behaviour. New players could get their clothes burnt, cut etc. It was a real "lad" culture. He is probably saying that Sky created one of those in their early days to build camaraderie and it has continued ever since.

You say he admits his comments are wrong. And he does mention it on occasion. But he follows every apology with another rant aimed at blaming somebody else. You can see this below. He apologizes, then immediately goes on the attack attempting to say that it is taken out of context.
    [What I said was] shocking, horrible, out of order, wrong, old-fashioned, behavioural problems that need to be attended to ... reconstruction, yeah. Again, it's a fairly selective moment from the studio that night, read into that what you will.

I understand banter and I have as much as anybody with my friends. Sometimes when you are bantering with friends, you say stupid things. But one sign of banter is laughter. I don't hear Keys and Gray laughing in their conversation. They seem deadly serious, which is what makes it worse. Keys sounds like he is genuinely saying women should not be in football. The "give me a break love comment" doesn't really help his case.

Also the words "great, "Fiona Looney" and "Daily Mail" are rarely used in the same sentence :pac: But I'm not really sure what Fiona Looney and LOI fans shouting either ironically and mockingly (depending on the individual) at Mary Robinson to get her tits out 20 years ago has to do with this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

This pairs smug sense of entitlement over being the face of Sky sports premiership coverage for the last 20 years is what tripped them up , the two of them thought they were the cock of the walk their ego's as bloated as their paychecks, when you combine that with the laddishness that pervades the sport and its punditry you have a recipe for the sort of crass sexism we saw here .

Simply put believing themselves untouchable both fed off and reflected the others laddish sexist attitudes. If these two had been pundits for the bbc whatever sexist attitudes they had wouldn't have found voice on or off air as they wouldn't have felt secure enough in their jobs that they would have thought they could get away with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I don't think they should of been sacked but I'm not about to write a thesis on my thoughts, people on this forum have really strong views lately I just can't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

panda100 wrote: »
    Woah, i cant believe how divisive this had been and that some people on here really believe the comments were ok.
    Has the female linesman spoken out about it yet? I would love to hear her story.It must be unbelievably tough becoming an official in the male dominated world of sport, so fair play to her. She is my new heroine!

This is the problem I have with this whole affair. Fair play to Sian Massey for getting that offside decision correct and fair play to her for being a 26-year-old officiating a Premier League game, however, let's not forget that that's her job! To say that she's your 'heroine' purely because she's female is imo, inadvertedly patronising.

I'm sure she wants nothing to do with the whole uproar (she hasn't made any public statements) and a lot of what people have been saying (get a female to replace Gray, why can't women play in Premier League) are backwards and tokenist in nature. I want to see more female officiating but only on merit and ideally we get to a point where I don't even notice it at all, it becomes second nature

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

You know this whole incident kind of depressed me:mad::(. Yeah it's great that they'll pay for their ignorance and offensiveness but it really shows you how far we still have to go before some men realise that there's better ways to prove their masculinity than putting women down. Still though, we have come a long way, we just have a bit more to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

curlzy wrote: »
    You know this whole incident kind of depressed me:mad::(. Yeah it's great that they'll pay for their ignorance and offensiveness but it really shows you how far we still have to go before some men realise that there's better ways to prove their masculinity than putting women down. Still though, we have come a long way, we just have a bit more to go.

I feel similarly. The fact that Gray was sacked and the whole Sky vs Gray saga took away from the whole point of why people were angry about it. Them apologising makes not one iota of difference as far as I'm concerned, anyone can say sorry without meaning it, or apologise for being caught rather than genuinely reconsidering their original opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

sounds like the two previous posters wouldn't be satisfied unless the two guys were castrated and their balls served up on a platter

all in all though they're dinosaurs and the new head of sports found a way to get rid, so that's good

furthermore it doesn't really matter a damn if keys or gray are genuinely sorry about their actions, it doesn't matter if they will review their behaviour and treat women with more respect, the fact is that they are gone and their names will be tainted forever

I'm sorry if this shocks the two previous posters but, and I won't use spoiler tags here so prepare yourself, there are sexist men in the world!!!!

and there are sexist women in the world too for that matter - please approach the stamping out of both with the same zeal when you witness them or prepare for accusations of self-interest, bias and hypocrasy

The most important thing about this whole issue is not that Keys and Gray reflect on their behaviour, it's that the issue of sexism in the workplace has been highlighted (and with the deluge of media coverage on the issue it's fair to say that it has focused more awareness on the issue)

oh and slightly off topic, Liverpool played Fulham last night and after 2 minutes Torres scored a perfectly legitimate goal....however the male assistant referee made a huge error and flagged him for offside

The Liverpool fans responded by singing "There's only one Sian Massey" (who correctly allowed Torres goal against Wolves despite the protests that he was offside)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Sounds like there are a few posters here who are annoyed that women can finally prove they aren't just imagining the misogyny that can characterise their days (as proved by Keys and Gray and their attitude), and so instead choose to nit-pick at small details in peoples' posts.

So much for a place where women can talk about their experiences without being looked down upon for expressing them.

You'll know when progress is made when it is normal for women to referee in the Premiership and when a crowd gives them stick for their decisions, not their gender!

Feeona wrote: »
    Sounds like there are a few posters here who are annoyed that women can finally prove they aren't just imagining the misogyny that can characterise their days (as proved by Keys and Gray and their attitude), and so instead choose to nit-pick at small details in peoples' posts.

So much for a place where women can talk about their experiences without being looked down upon for expressing them.

ok then can you refer specifically to what posters here are annoyed that "women can finally provethey aren't just imagining the misogyny that characterise their days" as you say?

I pointed out the two posters prior to mine, as to my mind, being hardline and perhaps prioritising the wrong aspects of this case, are you prepared to point out the following:

a) who is annoyed that women can point out misogyny?

b) why are you characterising this case in the following one-eyed and hyperbolic way "women can finally prove they aren't just imagining the misogyny that can characterise their days"? Isn't this a thread about sexism in the workplace? Do you know that misogyny and sexism are different things? It seems you want to personalise this, that's your perogative but don't throw out accusations at unnamed others who don't do this.

oh and the last paragraph in your post is quite obviously a blatant attempt to get me infracted or banned built of course on the strawman argument that I am looking down on people, shame on you for playing that card

donfers wrote: »
    sounds like the two previous posters wouldn't be satisfied unless the two guys were castrated and their balls served up on a platter

You'd do well to get your hearing checked if that's what it sounds like to you.

I wouldn't have called for either of them to be sacked, or punished at all. I'd much rather they were educated on the matter, perhaps shown Hyde's gender similarities hypothesis as well as other studies, so that they might realise that there is no basis whatsoever to their opinions (opinions that don't disappear because they're punished or because they apologise, btw).

For me, there's little satisfaction in anyone being punished for something while still remaining steadfast in their unfounded prejudices. Much better they remain in employment and gain a new perspective instead. But that's wishful thinking in this particular case.

You'd do well to get your hearing checked if that's what it sounds like to you.

I wouldn't have called for either of them to be sacked, or punished at all. I'd much rather they were educated on the matter, perhaps shown Hyde's gender similarities hypothesis as well as other studies, so that they might realise that there is no basis whatsoever to their opinions (opinions that don't disappear because they're punished or because they apologise, btw).

For me, there's little satisfaction in anyone being punished for something while still remaining steadfast in their unfounded prejudices. Much better they remain in employment and gain a new perspective instead. But that's wishful thinking in this particular case.

ok fair enough and I apologise for my assumption

I agree with a lot of what you say, however I would say it is more important that this issue has got a whole lot of media exposure and all the sexist idiots out there will think twice now about their comments/behaviour rather than merely disciplining and educating those two men......i guess the sacking will give the sexists even greater cause to re-examine their behaviour

my only concern is that people might abuse the fact that political sensitivities have pushed the line too far at the moment and cry wolf when there are no predators about which in turn will create a backlash which will put things back to square one

clearly gray and keys behaviour is sexist and has rightfully been punished, let's hope it's these types of cases that continue to be punished instead of stuff like a guy at work yesterday who commented about an american woman with "i'd say she's a stunner" at lunch, this woman is in virtual meetings with us and has a husky voice....well at lunch one person voiced offense at this comment, going on about objectification/sexism etc., it was a fairly harmless comment in my view and I hope this case doesn't lead to bandwagon-jumpers highlighting cases that don't merit any kind of censorship or accusations

it's important to know when to speak out and what constitutes sexism or you'll set the cause back

it's important to know when to speak out and what constitutes sexism or you'll set the cause back

Definitely.

And that's why I'd have just rolled my eyes and moved along if the tone of this particular incident was a joking one. I was actually quite surprised at the incredulous, appalled tone that both of them (but Keys especially) used.

I suspect you might be overly optimistic about the effect it'll have on others, but I hope you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

The only reason charlotte Jackson is working for sky sports is because she is stunning looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Nozebleed wrote:
    The only reason charlotte Jackson is working for sky sports is because she is stunning looking.

So she's stunning and that automatically gives her colleagues carte blanche to make lewd comments at her? I'm astonished I should have to point this out because I can only remember having to do so in the "wearing a short skirt doesn't entitle a guy to sexually molest" arguments - but, here goes - being attractive, even being splashed all over lad mags in nothing or next to nothing doesn't entitle the males she works with to make make sexually suggestive comments to or about her....sheesh. :eek:

+1 to what Ickle Magoo says and it should be noted that Charlotte Jackson has a long history of writing about soccer as well as having a genuine lifelong interest in the sport. She is also a sportswoman in her own right and has a sporting family (her mother has represented England). Yes Sky have hired attractive girls who have little interest in sport or who are weak at presenting. But she is not one. She is 32 as well, so she has worked her way up the TV ladder.

Yes...gasp...a good looking woman can have interests and talent as well!

• Advertisement

This is the Ladies Lounge. Our specific remit, if you care to read the charter, is a forum primarily for women to discuss issues from a female perspective - if that isn't to your liking and you have to resort to making sarcastic jokes about setting causes back, then perhaps the plethora of other forums would suit you better?

Cheers.

+1 to what Ickle Magoo says and it should be noted that Charlotte Jackson has a long history of writing about soccer as well as having a genuine lifelong interest in the sport. She is also a sportswoman in her own right and has a sporting family (her mother has represented England). Yes Sky have hired attractive girls who have little interest in sport or who are weak at presenting. But she is not one. She is 32 as well, so she has worked her way up the TV ladder.

Yes...gasp...a good looking woman can have interests and talent as well!

she's also made a lot of money from doing raunchy photoshoots for lads magazines so forgive me if i don't have as much sympathy for her if she does make claims of guys "objectifying" her compared to the likes of gabby logan who actually played sport to a very high level as a kid and never took her kit off to get some media exposure (despite also being decent looking)

This is the Ladies Lounge. Our specific remit, if you care to read the charter, is a forum primarily for women to discuss issues from a female perspective - if that isn't to your liking and you have to resort to making sarcastic jokes about setting causes back, then perhaps the plethora of other forums would suit you better?

Cheers.

what sarcastic jokes about setting causes back?

I'm not discussing moderator action on thread - take the warning on board and stop dragging the thread off-topic.

she's also made a lot of money from doing raunchy photoshoots for lads magazines so forgive me if i don't have as much sympathy for her if she does make claims of guys "objectifying" her

It would be reasonable for men to "objectify" her when she's doing a job where that is the intention. Otherwise, in other professional positions she, like everyone else, should be treated with the appropriate professional respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

It would be reasonable for men to "objectify" her when she's doing a job where that is the intention. Otherwise, in other professional positions she, like everyone else, should be treated with the appropriate professional respect.
    Well that's if you believe a person should be able to have their cake and eat it too. Are you trying to tell me females for the most part look on male football pundits as professional football analysts and not 'the guy in the Clavin Klein underwear add with the sexy six pack'?

Finding her attractive is one thing, I don't think anyone is suggesting no-one should find her sexy. I'm sure we've all worked with people we find attractive but I'm equally sure most manage to contain themselves and refrain from making knob gags at every opportunity. Is anyone seriously suggesting being in a lads mag = Gray/Keys-esque behaviour is not only doing nothing wrong, it's actually justified? Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I see what you mean Magoo but here's my issue. One thing I'm not sure I agree with is the context with which it's being dealt. I read a very interesting comment in the Star today written by a woman by the way, for whom such a thing may concern.
    'If everyones comments in work were picked up by a microphone none of us would have a job left'.
    As a male if I considered some of the things said to me by women in jest in the same light as this I'd have had them crucified by management but I usually just accepted it for what it was. A joke! Sometimes a joke in bad taste but let him without sin cast the first stone.

I'm not saying what AG and RK said was right or wrong and I do agree that when in the media your comments carry much more weight than normal but I refuse to accept that they are the personification of sexism in the workplace just because they had the misfortune of making comments made by many, Male and Female, with a microphone lurking. I think a lot of people need to tone down the sanctimony a little and realise the reality of the workplace.

I understand the point but unfortunately the reality is that many people out there tend not to compartmentalise things like that, if I was a primary school teacher and made some extra money on the side as a porn star I'm not sure many people would think it reasonable to do both jobs concurrently

what Gray said to her was disgusting and wrong and there is no excuse for it regardless of Jackson's raunchy photoshoots, however if she wants respect as a sports journalist then she should focus more on her sports media career rather than taking her clothes off

• Advertisement

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Are you trying to tell me females for the most part look on male football pundits as professional football analysts and not 'the guy in the Clavin Klein underwear add with the sexy six pack'?

Wait, those are one in the same? I've clearly been watching the wrong football analysis! :D

And I have no idea what women think about football pundits. But even if your suggestion is correct, it's still possible to find someone attractive and not demean them at the same time.

Advertisement