Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin marathon 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    Woke up this morning with a completely stuffed up head. Throwing the lemsips into myself all day. Fingers crossed it's a 24hr thing. Nearly there now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

3 stars (average)
    neilc wrote: »
    Woke up this morning with a completely stuffed up head. Throwing the lemsips into myself all day. Fingers crossed it's a 24hr thing. Nearly there now!!

Me too! Sona Cold&Flu tablets from Boots are also very good, I'm overdosing on vitamin C as well. Any other week I'd barely notice a head cold.
    Fingers crossed and get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Does anyone have any idea if you can get Torq gels in Berlin? Does the Expo just have individual gel suppliers or would there be stalls with all the various gels?

I've just discovered that the Cycle Superstore doesn't stock them anymore.
    Lots of different types at the expo, however, I wouldn't guarantee that they have your specific type. Much safer to get them before you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Does anyone have any idea if you can get Torq gels in Berlin? Does the Expo just have individual gel suppliers or would there be stalls with all the various gels?

I've just discovered that the Cycle Superstore doesn't stock them anymore.

I nearly panicked when I read your mail. I'm using Torq gels and plan to use them for Dublin. Chain Reaction Cycles seem to have them in stock.

Panic averted (Hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4 stars (good)

Anyway in there, they mention they have a phone app that allows selected persons track you in real time assuming you wear your phone as you run. Looks quite neat as there is additional info etc. Can't find it in the app store. Anybody else have any better luck?

Berlin iphone app is in itunes app store now (type "Berlin marathon" to find it). Some maps and handy info in there. Can use it to check a runner in real time, won't be using it myself as O2 have already quite literally buggered me twice this year with roaming data charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

O2 have already quite literally buggered me twice this year with roaming data charges.

:eek::eek::eek:
    runs off to check the small print on his own contract

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

3 stars (average)
    Works out at about 8 euro a minute when your abroad with o2. Learned my lesson the hard way in Rotterdam last year.

Good reading in this thread. Making me more nervous than before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

4 stars (good)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Me too! Sona Cold&Flu tablets from Boots are also very good, I'm overdosing on vitamin C as well. Any other week I'd barely notice a head cold.
    Fingers crossed and get well soon.

Got the Lemsips and Nurofen just in case. Took a Lemsip Sunday night just in case. Going around with a tube of antibacterial hand gel just in case. Haven't yet put on a surgical mask on the Dart but the thought has crossed my mind - just in case! Lashing the oranges into me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    Since there has been no 100% concesus can I declare the Irish pub in the Europa centre as the offical Boardsie Post race meetup Pub?

Website is included below.

http://www.irishpubberlin.de/index.php?id=7&L=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Since there has been no 100% concesus can I declare the Irish pub in the Europa centre as the offical Boardsie Post race meetup Pub?

+1 :D

I have just been looking this pub up :) It's right around the corner from my hotel so I will be found in here hopefully

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    +1 :D

I have just been looking this pub up :) It's right around the corner from my hotel so I will be found in here hopefully

Just checked, there's even a smokers lounge for liamo123 :D Pretty close to my hotel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    Just checked, there's even a smokers lounge for liamo123 :D Pretty close to my hotel too.

Smart Arse :D.... Errrr at a matter of interest anyone going 4 a couple of beers Friday evening ??? Its a bit of a pre marathon ritual 4 me at this stage... A couple of good German beers will do us no harm.... I'l b out with Mrs L so feel free to join us....

3 stars (average)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Smart Arse :D.... Errrr at a matter of interest anyone going 4 a couple of beers Friday evening ??? Its a bit of a pre marathon ritual 4 me at this stage... A couple of good German beers will do us no harm.... I'l b out with Mrs L so feel free to join us....

I tried suggesting that to meno last night but he was having none of it. He's taking it a bit too seriously i think. :) If O lionard got his olympic qualifying time after a few beers i think the rest of us are ok

4 stars (good)
    I tried suggesting that to meno last night but he was having none of it. He's taking it a bit too seriously i think. :) If O lionard got his olympic qualifying time after a few beers i think the rest of us are ok

For me the reasoning is as follows.....They say the most important nights sleep pre marathon is 48 hrs before the event .... From previous experience I know that come Saturday night I wont sleep much thinking about the marathon... So a couple of beers Fri night means Liamo will ( should ) sleep well :eek:.....

3 stars (average)

I'll drop you a text when I land. i think you are travelling on Thursday? I land on friday but not until 8.30pm Berlin Time, so it depends how quick I get out of the airport/to the hotel etc. Where abouts are you staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Thinking I might do the Breakfast run after all as it looks likely we will make it to the Expo on the Friday evening.

The Irish pub in the Europa centre is where we will be on Sunday night.

Not so sure about the beers on Fri night, but last year I had a couple of glasses of cheap fizzy wine on the Sat night and I came through OK on the Sunday.

The weather is gonna be warm - bring sun screen and a discardable cap. Bring the (provided) sponge with you for dipping into water (and tea, if you like).
    Don't forget to avail of your free beer straight after the race - it's free in every respect. The food in the post race goody bag is rancid - don't eat it, make your way through the family meet-up area and down to the big screen area where there will be an array of fast food (incl noodles) mobiles. Of course you will need a few euro for this food so don't forget to stash some in your gear bag that morning.

Smile for the camera - there are ALOT of them on the course (incl video).

The last stretch along Unter Der linden is very deceiving - you can see the Brandenburg Tor in the far off distance and it never seems to get any closer. But this is the stretch where the support is massive - milk it. And when you do reach the Brandenburg Tor ther is still agood 400m to go.
    I measured 26.64 Garmin miles last year while running the blue line so make your calculations based on this. Measurements is in km only - might be worth switching to km on Garmin if you've done it before.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

4 stars (good)
    Toenails cut last night.
    Massage from my physio this afternoon.
    Packing tonight.

So exciting......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

3 stars (average)
    Checking the Berlin weather hourly.... Definitely going to bring sunscreen.

Getting very excited and very nervous now, I go from thinking I will run an amazing race to thinking I'll have to pull out after a mile... You would think I would have learnt to control the pre-race week hysteria by now; this will be my sixth marathon but it feels like my first one all over again..

Why do we do this to ourselves?:confused:

4 stars (good)
    I'll drop you a text when I land. i think you are travelling on Thursday? I land on friday but not until 8.30pm Berlin Time, so it depends how quick I get out of the airport/to the hotel etc. Where abouts are you staying?

Sorry Meno only saw this now....Heading over tomorrow alright and staying just off Prenzlauer Berg .... The Europa Centre seems to b a bit awkward to get 2 from our hotel so will probably head to

http://www.kilkenny-pub.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=1 or

http://www.oscar-wilde-irish-pub.de/contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Dead jealous of all the excitement. Even the taper madness :)

Best of luck to all of you - enjoy the race, the end of the race, the beers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)

Sounds good, I should be able to make it along. Did the dress rehearsal this evening wearing the kit I'll have next Sun and all went reasonably ok.

I'll probably be meeting some friends for a beverage or two after the marathon near the Brandenburg Gate if anyone will be around, see KC's post here for details. Will be an even better spot to be seeing as it will be dry & sunny :)

3 stars (average)
    Sorry Meno only saw this now....Heading over tomorrow alright and staying just off Prenzlauer Berg .... The Europa Centre seems to b a bit awkward to get 2 from our hotel so will probably head to

http://www.kilkenny-pub.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=30&Itemid=1 or

Yeah cool. The Oscar wilde looks to be very close to my Hotel which is at Hauptbanhof

4 stars (good)
    Yeah cool. The Oscar wilde looks to be very close to my Hotel which is at Hauptbanhof

Grand job... We'l b there Friday night so if it suits join us ( and anyone else for that matter )....2 pints and no more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Best of luck to all at the weekend,just finished packing bags,drive to Dublin tomorrow and Berlin from there.nerves are setting in now,maybe biting off more than i can chew.looking forward to it being done with now,it's been a long progamme leading into this.Hope to bump into a few Irish over with happy stories.I'll be wearing a tri-colour vest with Mallow ac if anyone spots it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    Just back from a seven mile dress rehearsal, went well enough. Did the PMP miles a bit faster than 3:30 pace just to see how it felt tonight. Felt good enough but for 26.2 miles I'm not too sure. One thing I am sure of after tonights run, I've a new mantra for the 20 mile + section of the race. You'll all just have to listen to this weeks Tony's Trials on Marathon Talk to find out what it is :D
    The Europa Centre seems to b a bit awkward to get 2 from our hotel so will probably head to

Our Hotel is on Leipziger, so the Oscar Wilde seems to be the closest for us too. Only heading over first thing Saturday morning so it'll just be Sunday night for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

To all ye Boardsies heading for Berlin - all the best for it - wishing you all well.

3 stars (average)
    psychozeb wrote: »
    Best of luck to all at the weekend,just finished packing bags,drive to Dublin tomorrow and Berlin from there.nerves are setting in now,maybe biting off more than i can chew.looking forward to it being done with now,it's been a long progamme leading into this.Hope to bump into a few Irish over with happy stories.I'll be wearing a tri-colour vest with Mallow ac if anyone spots it.

You going for 3 hrs too yeah? I should spot you then. I'll be in a navy blue and yellow London Heathside singlet. I'm certainly not british though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    neilc wrote: »
    Just back from a seven mile dress rehearsal, went well enough. Did the PMP miles a bit faster than 3:30 pace just to see how it felt tonight. Felt good enough but for 26.2 miles I'm not too sure. One thing I am sure of after tonights run, I've a new mantra for the 20 mile + section of the race. You'll all just have to listen to this weeks Tony's Trials on Marathon Talk to find out what it is :D

Our Hotel is on Leipziger, so the Oscar Wilde seems to be the closest for us too. Only heading over first thing Saturday morning so it'll just be Sunday night for us.

Yeah I heard Tony's Trials, it could work, best of luck in any case :)

So is the suggested location for Sun now the Oscar Wilde, that's handy for me as well as only a 20min walk from where I'm staying.

On the day I'll be wearing a red/black running vest with the UCC skull & crossbones logo if anyone spots me.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

You going for 3 hrs too yeah? I should spot you then. I'll be in a navy blue and yellow London Heathside singlet. I'm certainly not british though

going to give it a go and see how i fair out,Dublin as backup if it starts going wrong in Berlin..best of luck over.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    psychozeb wrote: »
    going to give it a go and see how i fair out,Dublin as backup if it starts going wrong in Berlin..best of luck over.

Best of luck too. Found myself looking at the Florence marathon (as backup yesterday) but stopped myself. Tbh i dont want another 2 months of LSR's amd PMP's, better to leave it all on the road on Sunday.

Advertisement