Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin marathon 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

4 stars (good)
    neilc wrote: »
    Check on the print out they emailed for registration at the Expo, they have my predicted time on it so I presume that the pen I'll be going in. It's so long since I signed up for the race can't remember if I actually gave them a race result.

I'm hoping that's the case too but the same question meno had was wrecking my head.

Now what's wrecking my head is what race runners to wear given my original choice (Ghost 4s) are still giving me blisters even after breaking them in over 50 miles or so. Think I'll be pulling out the old Ghost 3s.

Spent the day thinking every twinge in my knee was an ITB flare up or something and I was doing one legged squats on the sly to test it out - the madness has started already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    I'm hoping that's the case too but the same question meno had was wrecking my head.

Now what's wrecking my head is what race runners to wear given my original choice (Ghost 4s) are still giving me blisters even after breaking them in over 50 miles or so. Think I'll be pulling out the old Ghost 3s.

Spent the day thinking every twinge in my knee was an ITB flare up or something and I was doing one legged squats on the sly to test it out - the madness has started already!

Taper's a crazy time alright. I'm having the runners dilemma myself. I did the 16 miler in my kinvaras on Sunday, the longest I've done in them to date with no ill effects. So it's either them or the original choice Saucony Triumphs. Decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty, will print that Barcelona Result alright. I just looked at my Registration confirmation print out and it says 3:14:00 on it. I assume I'm ok?

Christ, I am getting stressed already :pac:

According to the brochure that has you in Block D (3:00->3:15) which is spot on for your target. I wasn't too stressed 'til I read all the stuff on here this evening :)

As in a B pen? Not sure, have to read my emails properly, I assume the info is in there somewhere

The target time you gave them should be on the email they sent you with the expo info, tickets etc just under the name & address. With that you can work out your block from the online brochure : A - 2:20->2:40, B - 2:40->2:50 & C - 2:50->3:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    The target time you gave them should be on the email they sent you with the expo info, tickets etc just under the name & address. With that you can work out your block from the online brochure : A - 2:20->2:40, B - 2:40->2:50 & C - 2:50->3:00.

Yeah the target time I sent them would put me in pen A, however in the brochure it says "best time" so my PB would put me in pen B. To be honest I'm not really going to get stressed about it, so many things could potentially go wrong so will leave it in the laps of the running gods.

4 stars (good)
    8 miles with 3 x 1600m intervals this morning - think the taper really only starts now - this P&D stuff is deffo a step up from Hal Higdon.

On the TV front I see the website says that BBC 2 are broadcasting the event live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    Yeah the target time I sent them would put me in pen A, however in the brochure it says "best time" so my PB would put me in pen B. To be honest I'm not really going to get stressed about it, so many things could potentially go wrong so will leave it in the laps of the running gods.

RR and others if 4 some reason ur in the wrong pen dont worry.... there's a wooded area between the starting pens... Last year I saw loads of runners jump over the barrier on the left hand side of the starting pens to either make a last minute pit stop or to head up closer to the start line... To the best of my memory is wasnt supervised so just walk up to ur app pen, jump back over the barrier and happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

3 stars (average)
    Any recommendations from anyone who has run Berlin before for good places for my OH to cheer me on on the route? Particularly from 20 miles on.
    With a million spectators I'm sure it will be tough....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Marthastew wrote: »
    Any recommendations from anyone who has run Berlin before for good places for my OH to cheer me on on the route? Particularly from 20 miles on.
    He can watch the start pretty easily from the Tiergarten, just up from the start line. Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church is at around the 21.75 mile mark, and is immediately recognizable, both for you on foot, and him as a spectator, and the adoring crowds are quite spread out. It'll still be tough to spot him in the crowds. It's around 2 miles walk from the Tiergarten. Here it is in google street view. It's at the 35k mark in this Berlin route map.

Right... Probably time to start lurking in a marathon forum where I'm actually participating. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

I don't know the names of the places or any landmarks as I was running but my 'support' saw the start then handed me a gel at 14k (officially cheating I know) and then went to 40k (their choice, could have gone to the finish but thought 40k might be more exciting). They worked this out from the course map you'll get at the expo. Getting to 14k was a bit of a rush for them, but in the end they were there with a good few minutes to spare (to gibe me the gel).

The only place on the whole course with no support was at about 41.5k. Before you turn for the home straight there is about a 100m section, the last corner, where there was no one, so that would be a great place to run alongside someone and support them if they were tantalisingly close to their goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Daredevil78

I've told my OH he only has to show up at the finish, whats the last few hundred metres like for spotting people?? I'm aiming for a 4h45 so maybe the crowds would have thinned a bit by the time i plod round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've told my OH he only has to show up at the finish, whats the last few hundred metres like for spotting people?? I'm aiming for a 4h45 so maybe the crowds would have thinned a bit by the time i plod round?
    If you're wondering if you'll spot him, then forget about it! Unless he's naked, painted blue and being chased along the course by the local police, you won't see him. There will be throngs of crowds from the last bend all the way up to (and beyond) the Brandenburg Gate, and you will likely be in your own little world at that stage. You could get him to wait at one of the corners just before the final straight, and as racing flat Larry Brent pointed out, these tend to be pretty quiet. Also, make plans to meet up afterwards, as it can be very difficult. It'll take half an hour to work your way out of the complex (an hour if you opt for showers etc). There is a family reunion area, which has meeting points for every letter of the alphabet. So pick a letter (somewhere in the middle!) and meet up there. The beer and pretzels afterwards are particularly tasty!

4 stars (good)
    8 miles with 3 x 1600m intervals this morning - think the taper really only starts now - this P&D stuff is deffo a step up from Hal Higdon.

On the TV front I see the website says that BBC 2 are broadcasting the event live.

I had that session this evening, so that's the last hard run in the Berlin training plan. It's been a tough few days, Saturday 10k, Sunday 16m LSR, Tuesday 7m w/ 8x100m and today 8m w/ 3x1600m. Somehow managed 6:45, 6:57 & 6:43 tonight. Overall delighted with the P&D training plan, feeling very strong and managed to stay injury free through it. Roll on next week!!

4 stars (good)
    I had that session this evening, so that's the last hard run in the Berlin training plan. It's been a tough few days, Saturday 10k, Sunday 16m LSR, Tuesday 7m w/ 8x100m and today 8m w/ 3x1600m. Somehow managed 6:45, 6:57 & 6:43 tonight. Overall delighted with the P&D training plan, feeling very strong and managed to stay injury free through it. Roll on next week!!

You seem to be one day ahead of me as I had that 3x1600m this evening but anyway nice to have it out of the way, that's the last tough one I think. Now I can turn my attention to checking the long range weather forecast for Berlin on yr.no five times a day ;)

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    You seem to be one day ahead of me as I had that 3x1600m this evening but anyway nice to have it out of the way, that's the last tough one I think. Now I can turn my attention to checking the long range weather forecast for Berlin on yr.no five times a day ;)
    I'm on the up to 55 mile plan, you must be on one of the higher milage ones. Would be happy with that weather on the day 0800 to 1400 - 11° - light wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

3 stars (average)
    I'm on the up to 55 mile plan, you must be on one of the higher milage ones. Would be happy with that weather on the day 0800 to 1400 - 11° - light wind.

Would be VERY HAPPY with that weather... As long as the wind is light.
    Probably still too early to be looking at the forecast but of course I will be one of those people who checks it hourly for the next week.

Don't want to jinx Berlin but all of my past five marathons have been in glorious sunshine and almost perfect temperatures (Chicago 09 was a little too cold and Paris this year a bit too hot), here's hoping Berlin will be another perfect day.

4 stars (good)
    Would be VERY HAPPY with that weather... As long as the wind is light.
    Probably still too early to be looking at the forecast but of course I will be one of those people who checks it hourly for the next week.

Don't want to jinx Berlin but all of my past five marathons have been in glorious sunshine and almost perfect temperatures (Chicago 09 was a little too cold and Paris this year a bit too hot), here's hoping Berlin will be another perfect day.

Chicago 09 was my 1st marathon and it was bloody freezing Martha :D.. Hat and gloves on the whole way around... Weather forecast 4 Berlin looks good ( fingers crossed )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Interestingly (or not) of the 280 odd Irish participants in 2010, all but 2 of us finished (2 males failed to make it to the finish line), which gave us a completion rate of well over 99%.
    Kenya had a completion rate of 50%.

Go Ireland!

As an aside the weather (from YR) looks absolutely perfect with partial cloud, light winds and 11C for the am period. Worringly, however, temps of 23C are being forecast for the pm.
    http://www.yr.no/place/Germany/Berlin/Berlin/long.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Interestingly (or not) of the 280 odd Irish participants in 2010, all but 2 of us finished (2 males failed to make it to the finish line), which gave us a completion rate of well over 99%.
    Kenya had a completion rate of 50%.

Go Ireland!

As an aside the weather (from YR) looks absolutely perfect with partial cloud, light winds and 11C for the am period. Worringly, however, temps of 23C are being forecast for the pm.
    http://www.yr.no/place/Germany/Berlin/Berlin/long.html

23C is perfect for having cold beers at the finish line :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Live on BBC Two from 7.45am. An unexpected but very welcome surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4 stars (good)
    G-Money wrote: »

not a surprise really. I guess they are covering it to see how Radcliffe goes. Definitely going to tape it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

As if things werent bad There is a nerve gone in my hand. Left hand completely numb. I think I have to pull the plug on Berlin(with my right hand). London nxt stop.

4 stars (good)
    As if things werent bad There is a nerve gone in my hand. Left hand completely numb. I think I have to pull the plug on Berlin(with my right hand). London nxt stop.
    Sorry to hear that Village Runner.

4 stars (good)

Nasty thing to happen so close to the event, hopefully it clears up ok.

Weather is still looking good for next Sunday thankfully, next week is when I'll really start checking it hourly :)

clipboard01sx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

G-Money wrote: »

AFAIK Berlin is one that is always covered either by Eurosport or BBC. You then have tv coverage for DCM this year (i think) as well as the usual coverage of NYC. Spoiled for athletics this year even in the non track season:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

not a surprise really. I guess they are covering it to see how Radcliffe goes. Definitely going to tape it

You not gonna let her beat you that easy are you? first Gemma Steele now Radcliffe letting the GB women walk all over you man:rolleyes:

4 stars (good)

Thats poxy luck VR... Hopefully ur ribs are improving and ur " connections :pac: " in the local hosp will sort out ur hand ........They say a week is a long time in politics but its a heck of a long time in the life of a marathon runner so dont pull the plug yet...

4 stars (good)
    Slightly off topic but I think I used up more (emotional) energy at Croke Park yesterday than I will in Berlin next Sunday. Managed to somehow stay off the jar so I'd better produce the goods this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

ecoli wrote: »
    AFAIK Berlin is one that is always covered either by Eurosport or BBC. You then have tv coverage for DCM this year (i think) as well as the usual coverage of NYC. Spoiled for athletics this year even in the non track season:D

I think RTE are covering the Dublin City Marathon alright. What about New York though? I'm pretty sure I had to resort to trying to watch a live stream on the web last year. I don't have Eurosport. At least not yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Guys, stop looking at the weather forecast. Every site gives a different forecast, none of which are reliable until 24 hours beforehand. You'll just drive yourselves stone bonkers! Anyway, sure didn't Olive Loughnane get a silver medal in that very city 2 years ago in 33-35 degree heat! Take that as inspiration. No bother to you!

Best of luck to all at the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Does anyone have any idea if you can get Torq gels in Berlin? Does the Expo just have individual gel suppliers or would there be stalls with all the various gels?

I've just discovered that the Cycle Superstore doesn't stock them anymore.

Advertisement