Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin marathon 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    Dipity wrote: »
    Any good suggestions for last minute accommodation for Berlin? Trying to sort this out at the mo.

Need to get something for the Saturday and Sunday.

Dipity u could try the following place ;
    http://www.melarose-fengshuihotel.de/bildergalerie.aspx

Stayed there last year and returning again in Sept...... Easy to get to from Alexanderplatz ( 4 stops on tram )and reasonablly priced... Only thing is come race morning the Trams wont b running so its a brisk 20min walk to Alexanderplatz to catch tube to marathon start.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dipity

liamo123 wrote: »
    Dipity u could try the following place ;
    http://www.melarose-fengshuihotel.de/bildergalerie.aspx

Thanks liamo123. Didn't book there in the end but it helped as a starting point. Good luck in Berlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    Bib number and registration info arrived by email last night, getting close now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

4 stars (good)
    neilc wrote: »
    Bib number and registration info arrived by email last night, getting close now!!!

So exciting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)

This years number only 10 away from last years number.
    I know it's alphabetical, but still......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

3 stars (average)

I haven't gotten an email yet, I've checked my spam and none there, maybe I should email them? When I look up the list of entrants I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Marthastew wrote: »
    I haven't gotten an email yet, I've checked my spam and none there, maybe I should email them? When I look up the list of entrants I'm there.

I would. My mate didnt get one last year. and when he emailed them he got one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Marthastew wrote: »

Mine was in the junk mail to, when I checked yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Glad I checked the forum. Away on holidays and i'd deleted the Berlin email from my junk mail (just assumed it was an update cos it was in German). One month to undo all the badness that my body has been inflicted with on holidays.

Are the Irish contingent meeting for pints after or later that evening? I'm staying the Sunday so will b indulging in a few well earned beverages (apologies if this has been brought up before but I haven't the patience to scroll through the previous pages on an iphone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    Are the Irish contingent meeting for pints after or later that evening? I'm staying the Sunday so will b indulging in a few well earned beverages (apologies if this has been brought up before but I haven't the patience to scroll through the previous pages on an iphone).

I'll be up for the pints, I'm sure the guys who have been there before can suggest a nice pub? myself and brianderunner will be staying very close to the start/finish line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I'll be up for the pints, I'm sure the guys who have been there before can suggest a nice pub? myself and brianderunner will be staying very close to the start/finish line.

me too. I'm living for the pints at this stage. My club mates will be along also, about 16 of us so should be some craic. I may have to avoid whatever pub Brian is drinking in though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »

I'l get the ball rolling with suggestions.....

last year I spent far too many hours in the " Kilkenny Irish Pub " :
    http://www.kilkenny-pub.de/....

Its a fine place and was buzzing after the marathon and into the evening....Easy to get too also and for those bringing partners surrounded by what appeared to b nice places to eat..... Think it closed at about 2am ish....

BTW anyone u says u dont get a hangover from German beer is lying :eek:

4 stars (good)
    If I'm able afterwards, defo on for some German beers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

Thanks for the post NeilC, mine would have languished forever in my junk mail.

Any other first-time marathoners in Berlin 2011 reading this? Getting fairly amped about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

4 stars (good)
    jim0 wrote: »

Any other first-time marathoners in Berlin 2011 reading this? Getting fairly amped about the whole thing.

It's going to be my first marathon too. I'm getting pretty excited about it now, less then a month to go!

Definitely on for beers afterwards, a few celebratory drinks would be in order, all going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jim0

Yep, good luck to all of us - particularly newbies! Looks like a good event to start the "career" with.

We're staying in Friedrichshain - ie. a bit further east - so any pub recommendations out that way wouldn't go amiss.

3 stars (average)
    jim0 wrote: »

I'm not a first time marathoner but it is my first Berlin....
    Fingers crossed we get some good PB weather.

Training had been going really well but I'm counting down to the taper at the moment; i'm tired and nervous now, luckily I remember that this has been the case with all my other marathon training (Berlin will be my 6th) and in four weeks time it will all be worth it:)

Best of luck to everyone and fingers crossed for the last week's hard work before the taper

3 stars (average)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    I'l get the ball rolling with suggestions.....

last year I spent far too many hours in the " Kilkenny Irish Pub " :
    http://www.kilkenny-pub.de/....

Its a fine place and was buzzing after the marathon and into the evening

I can vouch for this place too.
    The pub was buzzing well into the early hours last year. You can even wear your medal in there and get away with it.
    We'll be there again this year.

3 stars (average)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    I can vouch for this place too.
    The pub was buzzing well into the early hours last year. You can even wear your medal in there and get away with it.

Actually it wasn't this place :o.
    The Irish pub we were in is the one in the Europa centre in the City Centre - http://www.irishpubberlin.de/index.php?id=7&L=1
    pub was buzzing well into the early hours last year. You can even wear your medal in there and get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Any chance this will be on TV here in Ireland? Both Hailie and Paula Radcliffe are going for Olympic qualifying times at this race as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

G-Money wrote: »
    Any chance this will be on TV here in Ireland? Both Hailie and Paula Radcliffe are going for Olympic qualifying times at this race as far as I know.

Eurosport covered it last year (pretty sure it was live coverage). It looked even wetter on TV than in real life! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    See this post from Krusty for the place people met last year directly after the marathon near the Brandenburg Gate. Nice spot and very close to the finish area. Might be an idea for this year as well?

4 stars (good)
    Just got an email from hotels.com saying the hotel we booked has ended their relationship with them and my booking will not be honoured. Any advice at this late stage on places to say. This close I presume I'm gonna get stung :mad:

3 stars (average)
    Just got an email from hotels.com saying the hotel we booked has ended their relationship with them and my booking will not be honoured. Any advice at this late stage on places to say. This close I presume I'm gonna get stung :mad:

How annoying for you.
    This is my first time doing Berlin so I can't recommend anywhere, we've booked the Hilton using airline miles (very lucky:))

Best of luck... I hope you get somewhere good/reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Peckham wrote: »
    Eurosport covered it last year (pretty sure it was live coverage). It looked even wetter on TV than in real life! :D

Unfortunately I can't get Eurosport, grrrrrrrr. Hoping to move to Sky within the next few months and if so, Eurosport is the first thing I'm getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Try: http://germany-booked.com/
    Additionally, we booked an apartment for the marathon in 2009, and it worked out really well. You can get some really nice places near the Tiergarten. Have a browse through some of the apartments on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4 stars (good)
    A friend of mine sent me a PDF containing info about the marathon the other day. He probably got if from the official website. On my phone so cant attach pdf.

Anyway in there, they mention they have a phone app that allows selected persons track you in real time assuming you wear your phone as you run. Looks quite neat as there is additional info etc. Can't find it in the app store. Anybody else have any better luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    A friend of mine sent me a PDF containing info about the marathon the other day. He probably got if from the official website. On my phone so cant attach pdf.

Anyway in there, they mention they have a phone app that allows selected persons track you in real time assuming you wear your phone as you run. Looks quite neat as there is additional info etc. Can't find it in the app store. Anybody else have any better luck?

Not sure if this is what you mean but they have the sms tracking going again this year, see this link.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

4 stars (good)

The app is called "where M I". It looks quite nifty, handy if you are carry your fruit phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

3 stars (average)
    Peckham wrote: »

The TV coverage on Eurosport last year was comical. Just a camera showing the mid pack runners streaming by one by one for most of it. The helicopter couldnt fly due to the weather. I ended up heading out to Rathfarnam to watch the 5k instead.

Advertisement