Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin marathon 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Well done lads, sounds like a tough day at the office.
    Managed it in 3:22:59. Absolutely thrilled. Last 10k very tough, slowed quite a bit, heat was a killer. Anyone hear what the temp was. Big PB though, 28mins+ quicker than DCM last year.

That's brilliant Neil. 1min/mile over 26.2 is some improvement. Get the drinks into you tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

neilc wrote: »
    Big PB though, 28mins+ quicker than DCM last year.

That's a savage improvement, congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

4 stars (good)
    That's a savage improvement, congratulations!

Can't believe Neil's eclipsed my 20 min improvement from Dublin last year - I blame the 3:30 pacers we had at Dublin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

neilc wrote: »
    Managed it in 3:22:59. Absolutely thrilled. Last 10k very tough, slowed quite a bit, heat was a killer. Anyone hear what the temp was. Big PB though, 28mins+ quicker than DCM last year. Full report later in the week. Big session tonight me thinks!!!

Well Done Neil thats a fantastic improvement...hope the party is going well. :D

Well done to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Can't believe Neil's eclipsed my 20 min improvement from Dublin last year - I blame the 3:30 pacers we had at Dublin ;)

Damn pacers running spot on time, eh? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Damn pacers running spot on time, eh? :rolleyes:

Yeah - Couldn't keep up with ya - I'll look forward to you dragging me to 3:15 in Cork next year

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

2:58:54 for me today in Berlin thats over 13 mins off last years pb.ran negative split of 16 secs.met a good few irish lads,from memory liamo123 ran 2:52,great going.over the moon myself but would have liked if the temperature was what they were predicting last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jacquib

Worst TV coverage I have seen for any sporting event that I can remember..

I 2nd that. With it being one of the big marathons you would think they would have had a back up plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Well done all on fantastic effort. Some great improvements on previous times to be seen.

Some didnt quite make their objectives but presumably will be back, further battle hardened to make a go of it again.

A few well deserved days off first though I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭plodder

Well done to everyone who did this. Was sorry I couldn't make it myself. It sounds like the heat was an issue again. That would really kill me. Can't cope with it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

shels4ever wrote: »
    Oh yes, your better then that, recover and then a nice spring marathon :)
    sorryto hear that niall i hope i have a better day at the races in liverpool,sure its all downto the day i suppose 3.30 i know im good for but on the daybthe rest will tell )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Cool Marathon, tough day for me. I'll explain in the log. Some fabulous times posted by our lot here though. Liam, great job and TRR flippin hell thats some performance you were clearly in the zone!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Paddys Wigwam

3:05 for me - delighted. I was aiming for sub 3 but realised at the halfway point the pace was too fast for me. As its my first marathon my inexperience came through too; particularly my refueling plans/my performance at the refreshment stops....

Have to say I found the whole thing absolute torture!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

4 stars (good)
    3.09.28 for me. Felt great until about the 28km, then got stopped in my tracks by a stitch. Was delighted in the end to finish, the last 14km was torture. Full report to follow, going to enjoy the german beers for a few days and then start thinking about Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

3 stars (average)
    Firstly congratulations to everyone, some truly amazing results on here. :)
    And thanks for all the help and advice over the past few months.

Berlin was my sixth marathon and I was shocked at just how nervous I was, my husband and I travelled over on the early flight on Saturday and by the time we got to the airport I'm sure he was ready to kill me. Thankfully he is very understanding and has also started running so we made it to Berlin without initiating divorce proceedings. On the flight over my pre-race thoughts ranged from thinking I would be pulling out after a mile to thinking I would somehow turn into a superwoman and race alongside Paula.

When we landed I began to calm down and the weather was perfect. Checked into our hotel, Hilton, which was super and then headed out for lunch. We had pasta al fresco and I was starting to feel like this was a holiday.
    Got the train to the expo, I loved the building it was in. It was, of course, VERY busy but we enjoyed it and didn't stay too long. My husband was hoping to buy a Germin and they were sold out, how ridiculous is that? If ever there was a time to overstock Garmin supplies you would imagine it would be at an expo for runners!

We headed back to the hotel and had a quick dip in the pool then headed out to check out the finish/start area. The pre-race atmosphere in the city was super, reminded me a lot of Boston.
    I was glad I had read the posts about Unter den Linden seeming to go on forever until the Brandenburg gate, I walked up it very slowly imagining how it would feel the next day after 41K. We had a lovely dinner and headed back for an early night. My husband spent ages working out exactly where he would spot me en route and he was doing so all I could think was "I hope I sustain the pace I'm supposed to so it all comes together".

Sunday morning I woke at 5.30 after a good solid six hours sleep, the early flight the day before helped I think. Breakfast, then headed up to the start at about 7.30. This was the first time my husband had come to a start with me and he really enjoyed the atmosphere. We said our goodbyes and I headed off to get into my start corral F. I had read on here that it would be fairly chaotic and it was indeed mayhem! At 9 am I was still waiting to get into the corral, it was full and behind me were hundreds more people; crazy. The start is one of my favourite parts of the marathon so I relaxed and starting chatting to poeple around me. I crossed the start line about 11 minutes after the gun went off so it wasn't too bad.

I spent the first 5K dodging and overtaking but I tried not to get too worried that my pace was slow. I saw my husband at 1K, 5K, 22K, 35k and just before the finish; his spectator plan was perfect. I think he was more tired than me after the race, he literally ran from place to place. He had ballons tied to a stick and I was able to spot him every time. In terms of helping the time go by it REALLY helped to break up the race. I crossed the half way line and the race clock was showing 2.01.XX and all I could think was "Haile and his competitors will be finishing any minute now" he was back in his hotel room at that stage! But a world record was only minutes away.
    I met my husband just after the half and he told me I was looking strong, I told him the race wouldn't really be starting till 30K and to keep praying for me. I maintained a fairly consistent pace throughout but the sheer number of runners and the water stations really slowed me down and by about 30K I knew 3.39 might not happen for me but I decided to stay as strong as I could. My husband met me at 35K with my small bottle of flat Coke which was all I needed to get me to the finish line, he ran alongside me for a bit and I told him there would be no PB for me; stay strong and dig deep was his answer.... That really helped and I did indeed stay relatively strong and I had to dig very deep for the last 7K. It REALLY helped having read on here that the last 1K was a long drag. With the finish line in sight I was looking way past it trying to stay strong but I also wanted to soak up the atmosphere, as I looked to my left into the stand I noticed three red balloons and my husband screaming at the top of his lungs, what a perfect way to finish.:) As I crossed the line I was in tears and my Garmin showed 3.41.39, not a PB but only 16 seconds short of one and it puts me in the top 10% of female finishers. I was over the moon and couldn't stop shouting. On the finish line the Mysports video I can be clearly heard screaming Woo Hoo and Yes!, it's fair to say I was a little delirious:D

There was a queue for medals and then the finish area was quite easy to get around, I had a quick massage, collected my beer, dropped back my chip and headed out to meet my husband.
    We headed back to the hotel had a dip in the pool and had a delicous dinner. I had thought I would be too tired to go to the pub but I was feeling great and we headed up to the Oscar Wilde where it was really super to meet up with and put faces to lots of you on here. As my husband has signed up for Dublin he was thrilled to get lots of advice from Meno and Brian and Neil and TRR (who was unbelievably modest about his amazing achievement!)The plan was to have one or two pints.... We had a lot more than that, not exactly good recovery strategy but it was great craic and it would have been a shame to leave early. Highlight of the night was when "We are the Champions" was played... all the hard work over the last few months was well worth it. We got back to the hotel about 2am, ate all of the chocolate we had bought to bring home as presents (it's just lucky we didn't pass a kebab shop on the way home).
    And up bright and early for the flight home yesterday. I was shattered last night but had a great swim at the 40foot this morning so next stop Dublin....
    see you all there.

4 stars (good)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Firstly congratulations to everyone, some truly amazing results on here. :)
    And up bright and early for the flight home yesterday. I was shattered last night but had a great swim at the 40foot this morning so next stop Dublin....
    see you all there.

Nice report and well done.

Was I sitting behind you on the flight home?

I'm the chap who said getting off that I had a 14 minute PB and that I won't be running Dublin because my wife is due our 2nd baby that weekend.

3 stars (average)
    Nice report and well done.

Was I sitting behind you on the flight home?

I'm the chap who said getting off that I had a 14 minute PB and that I won't be running Dublin because my wife is due our 2nd baby that weekend.

Yes, that was me.
    Very, very best of luck for the arrival of baby number two. I hope the missus not booked into Holles St? I can't imagine that would be a very relaxing journey in if the baby arrives on Marathon day.
    Be sure to let us all know your great news and congrats on your great run in Berlin

4 stars (good)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Yes, that was me.
    Very, very best of luck for the arrival of baby number two. I hope the missus not booked into Holles St? I can't imagine that would be a very relaxing journey in if the baby arrives on Marathon day.
    Be sure to let us all know your great news and congrats on your great run in Berlin

Thanks - Holles St. it is - reckon we'll be in as spectators for the day if nothing happens before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Excellent report Marthastew. I enjyed reading it and it's posts like this that make this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 stars (average)
    I just threw up a report here for anyone interested in reading it.

I think I'll definitely be back next year, I have revenge to be taken on the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

4 stars (good)
    Berlin Marathon 2011.

3:22:59

History

When I first entered this one after Dublin last year I gave myself the very ambitious target of 3:20:30 with a view to qualifying for Boston now that I’d be moving into the M40 category. I’d just gone from 4:50:14 in DCM ’09 to 3:49:39 in DCM ’10 so on a high after the race thought what’s another 30 minutes and entered. When the BAA changed qualifying times for Boston I thought another 6 minutes was just a step too far and revised the goal back to a much more sensible target of 3:30.

I decided to go with P&D this time around as well after hearing great things about them here. I couldn’t put down the book when it arrived and had it finished in a couple of days. Having used Hal Higdon previously I’d knew nothing of VO2 max or threshold runs but as long as I could do the program and stay injury free I was fairly confident I could hit 3:30. I don’t think the training plan itself could have gone any better. I pretty much hit all the targets along the way and as the plan progressed the confidence grew.

Two weeks out from Berlin the plan called for a 10k tune up race so I decided to do the lakes 10k after all the rave reviews here. In tough enough conditions on the day and a bit of a killer hill I managed to come away with a PB of 43:12 and a new time to punch into McMillan to see where I was at. He reckoned I could hit 3:22:44. With that in mind and a lot of head wrecking I decided to change the goal again and printed out a 3:20 pace band.

Race Weekend

Garmin Link

We traveled over on the Saturday morning and made our way to the Expo straight away. Didn’t delay there at all, done what was needed to be done and were on our way. After checking in at the hotel we went and sussed out the start/finish area. The atmosphere up there was amazing what with the kids races and the skaters. After dinner of a massive potato omelet (apparently a farmers breakfast) and a pint of German beer we were ready to hit the hay by 10pm. As Marthastew said earlier the early flight had its advantages because I slept straight away and didn’t hear one of the many good luck texts that came in over the next couple of hours.

The race itself was great; have to say I loved it. I know now I made the schoolboy error of going out too fast. It just didn’t feel like it at the time. At around the 5k mark one poor chap beside me took a spill, luckily enough he got straight up and continued running. When I looked back around I couldn’t believe what I saw, the 3:15 pacers. I wasn’t sure if I caught them or they caught me because I hadn’t been keeping an eye out for them at all. It was here I kinda changed the goal again. I didn’t actually decide to stay with them more like see how long I could continue to keep them in my eye line. Not the wisest of thing to do I know but I was really feeling great at the time.

I raced the Dungarvan 10 miler in January as hard as I could and did it in 76:32. Sunday I passed through the 10 mile mark on the garmin in 73:xx with what felt like very little effort. At this stage of the race it actually felt like jogging rather than running.

My water and gel strategy was working out great too. Before the race I taped a straw to each of my six gels. All I had to do was pop the gel, rip the straw off the wrapper, drink and dispose everything, no worrying about minding a straw.

I’m not too sure in the end when I lost sight of the 3:15 pacers but it must have been around 17 to 18 miles because this is when things started to slow down a bit. It wasn’t a major bonk by any means just a gradual slowing. At 35k I was actually still slightly ahead of pace for 3:20 but knew it wouldn’t be for much longer. The last few miles were tough but for the first time in a marathon I had the mental strength not to adopt the run/walk strategy :).

Once I knew 3:20 was gone I decided to just bring it home and soak up the atmosphere, which was amazing the whole way around. I heard the shouts of my wife at 42k but because there was so many people about never managed to make eye contact.

Overall the Berlin race experience for us was fantastic. Everything went like clockwork and was organized to a tee. Had some nice grub and lovely cold beers afterwards in the family area before heading back to the hotel to clean up. Later on in the evening after dinner it was nice to meetup with marthastew & Joe, Meno, Brianderunner, the ledgend that’s the roadrunner and plenty of others too.

Next up for me is DCM. Not sure how to run it yet, it seems to change by the hour but if I’m racing I’d need to decide soon because P&D says 5m recovery tomorrow. I’m a slave to the plan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

4 stars (good)
    The POST marathon plan going very well, Bier, Bier, Bier.

I have to agree with most of the feedback here, the marathon was
    fantastic in every way (but it certainly wasn't easy!)

I'm very happy with a 3 12 57 finish, 3 minutes outside my ambitious
    sub 3 10 plan.

Well done to everyone here on some great running, from the 2 36 :eek: (TRR) to all finishers.
    Lots of us with unfinished business for Berlin 2012 or is it too early to start
    thinking about that?

Great to meet some of you after in The Oscar Wilde,
    see you in Dublin!

4 stars (good)
    Haven't done a race report before so please excuse my ramblings.

Dublin 2010 was my first marathon. Posted a time of 3:47 but was gutted afterwards because I had tried for 3:30 but the wheels came off the cart and at 18 miles and there to the end was a serious struggle. A 17 min positive split resulted.

Struggled with injury after this but learned a lot from the Dublin experience and did Cork in June. An altogether different experience and I trotted around in 3:41 with a 1 min negative split - oh the difference in finishing strong with a smile on your face.

But this year was always going to be about hitting the target I set for myself last year. As my wife is due our 2nd baby the weekend of DCM 2011 and I would not get clearance to leave the country after September I had only one real option - Berlin.

I deserted Hal Higdon and jumped on tthe P&D bandwagon. Given the gap between Cork and Berlin I had to do a 12 week schedule. I was so lucky with this training plan I didn't miss a single workout. A time of 71:15 in the Frank Duffy 10 mile had me well on schedule for my sub 3:30 attempt.

So to the race weekend. Had to bring my brother in law to mind me as the missus is not exactly in a fit state to travel. Travelled over on Friday evening and went to the Expo en-route to the hotel. Bought a few bits and then got to the hotel for dinner and bed. Did a bit of sight-seeing on Saturday (probably too much) but went back to the hotel to put the feet up in the afternoon.

Out for an early dinner in a nice Italian and then to bed. My poor brother in law was chatting away to me over dinner but for me it was all picture and no sound as I was totally on edge. Couldn't sleep and sweated like a demon all night despite the air con having the room like a fridge.

On to race morning and got the porridge breakfast delivered to the room, stopped eating and drinking 2 hrs before the start time. Pressed a few buttons on the Garmin and it wasn't working - panic - managed to reboot it somehow and all seemed fine. Set the virtual partner to 4:54/km to allow for a margin of error on the Garmin. Away with us at 7:45. Had to turn back when I realised I'd forgotten to put sun cream on my head and vaseline on my feet. False start! Away we go again. 4 toilet stops en-route to Pen E - luckily I managed to avoid the nettles in the park. Got to the pen where there was a massive queue going nowhere. Stupidly jumped the barrier but no damage done and in to the Pen with me - couldn't believe the space in there given the congestion outside.

The Race

Soon after the race starts. I'm surprised how much space there is in the first couple of km. Much more room than Dublin and maybe even Cork! Things tighten up a bit after 2.5k and kind of stays that way until the finish. Had straws tucked into my wrist band. Grabbed two cups at the 1st water station - idiot - how to I take a straw out with my hands full? 1st 5k in 25:19 - just a bit behind schedule - no worries but better not let it slip too far.

5-10k I'm in to a nice rythm. Take my 1st gel just ahead of the next water stop and have the straw at the ready. 2nd 5k in 25:06 - slipping a little back but still ok.

10-15k pretty uneventful but I'm trying to enjoy the crowd. Feels like Denmark with the amount of supporters in Danish colours and Danish flags. 24:38 - better pace.

15-20k - think it's along here a group of ladies are cheering from a balcony so I blow them a kiss. I spot a couple of Dublin flags further on so I shout "Up the Dubs". 2nd gel in. 24:54 - not bad.

Halfway point comes up and my Garmin says 1:45. Don't have seconds on the time to date - damn it - am I 1 second behind or 59? Still I'm happy to be thereabouts.
    25k passes - 25:01. Time to get moving.

25-30k. Biggest issue to contend with here was running through glue after the Powerbar Gel station - feet were sticking to the ground. 3rd Gel in. 24:39 - good. The Garmin says 2:29 so I'm happy. Idiot!! I'm multplying by 5 to check my pace - I need to be 2 secs per km quicker than that. I'm still behind schedule!

30-35k. The P&D book says we're hitting the part of the race to look forward to - tell that to my calves! I start to pick it up. 24:13 - great. Garmin says 2:53 at the marker so I'm definitely ahead. My virtual partner on the Garmin has changed colour too - magic! Grab another Gel. Then the Garmin beeps 'Battery Low' - this simply inspires me to hurry!

35-40k. I'm passing buckets of runners and getting a bit annoyed with the congestion. I'm keeping an eye out for the brother in law. I throw a 5th Gel in. There he is at 39k and he runs up the street with me for 200m - we're having a chat about the race!! 23:51 for that 5k and the Garmin says 3:17 at the marker - brilliant.

40k to Finish. Now I feel it's in the bag. I'm raising my fists at every camera. Brother in law shouts at me before the Brandenburg Gate - I look at him and he manages a great photo with the iPhone! As I run through the gate I'm looking to get into a clear position so the photographers can get an iconic shot of me with the gate behind me. There's one and the fists go up and the camera clicks.

I cross the line. 3:27:58.

Soak up the atmosphere drinking the beer while stretching. Meet up with the brother in law at the family meeting point and he has real beer for me! We grab some grub at the finish area and a few more beers. Eventually end up sitting having beers at the 500m point on Unter den Linden watching some serious heroes running to the finish 2 and a half hours after me.

Chuffed. 3:27:58 - negative splits - 1:45:18 / 1:42:40 - a 14 minute PB.

Garmin Link

Time to focus on the last 4 weeks of my poor wife's pregnancy and then think about a plan to crack 3:15 in 2012 and a Boston qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Itziger wrote: »
    2.55.10 for Opus, well done. Great running, wasn't your pb 2.59?

Just about, I barely managed to get in under three hours back in April.

Been catching up on the great performances and reports in this thread and the logs this morning. The day itself went ok for me thankfully which I was very happy with after missing out on my goal here last year.

Started close to the back right of pen C which wasn't great due to crowding, seems the left hand side is the place to be as you zip up the outside much quicker. In the end took me ~1.5 mins to cross the start line.

The sub-3 pacers were right at the front of the pen starting off so I figured a reasonable plan would be to try and catch up with them first and then take it from there. Easier said than done as they split into two groups, I passed the first bunch at around the 3k mark but it took 'til 12k to reel in the second lot due to the sheer number of people between the two groups.

After that nothing really dramatic happened, pace stayed roughly the same although did slow down a bit after the 37k mark. I had five of the High5 isogels during the race roughly every 7k or so, ignored the first water station as it looked too much like a scrum but grabbed a cup at every one after that bar the very last one.

For the last km, I kept repeating the catchy slogan from Tony's Trials on the MarathonTalk podcast to myself, in case you didn't hear it, it goes like "F*ck your legs, f*ck em" repeated, seemed to help anyway :)

That evening I called into the Oscar Wilde where I met Meno, Brian, Neilc & the legendary tRR! Didn't have the energy left to visit the other Irish bar across town.

Sorry no Garmin link as on a week's holiday in Germany.

The 70m P&D plan worked pretty well for me so guess I'll use it again for London next April.

To finish up, I'd highly recommend the Berlin Segway tour that we did on Sat afternoon, it was just great crack zipping around on those yokes for four hours! We even got to see some of the inline skating marathon & the kid's race which looked like it had 1000's of runners.

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I just threw up a report here for anyone interested in reading it.

I think I'll definitely be back next year, I have revenge to be taken on the race.

registration for 2012 opens October 10th... You can sign up and start plotting your revenge....

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

A PB and first time sub 3 but the wheels came off for me as well. Don't know whether it was the heat, not getting enough water on board or just being tired at the start of the weekend but I felt from about 13km that it was tougher than it should be. Glad that I toughed it out (with a rather substantial positive split) and finished in 2:57:43. 8 minutes slower than I'd planned but it's a good motivation for Dublin (or if it turns out that Dublin comes up a bit too soon, roll on London 2012).

Glad I raced Berlin but I don't see myself going back. Nothing to do with the course or organisation but I think I might just stick with Dublin next year.

Well done to everyone from Boards that raced. Unfortunatley I didn't make drinks on Sunday night, just had a few in the hotel bar. The flight home on the Monday evening was like a competition to see who had the best John Wayne walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

4 stars (good)
    My race report

Congrats to all who ran the Berlin marathon.

To TRR, I was just reading your race report & see that you are pacing for DCM. I was wondering what pace you are doing as Im hoping to do 3:15. I done 3:17 last year for Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

jacquib wrote: »
    Congrats to all who ran the Berlin marathon.

To TRR, I was just reading your race report & see that you are pacing for DCM. I was wondering what pace you are doing as Im hoping to do 3:15. I done 3:17 last year for Berlin.
    TRR is the 3:00 pacer. The 3:15 pacers are Village Runner, Lecheile, and yours truly.

• Advertisement

TRR is the 3:00 pacer. The 3:15 pacers are Village Runner, Lecheile, and yours truly.

Thanks for that info. Hopefully see you on the day & Im able for the 3:15 pace :D

Advertisement