Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you say mum, mom, mam or ma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I call my mother mam/mammy and haven't lived at home for over 10 years.

Mam is fine. Mammy is something a child says. You might as well be saying mammary.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LordSutch wrote: »
    I'm not so sure that most Irish motherrs say 'MOM', I have noticed a MOM trend in the Irish media circles, and recently at the Baby fair in the RDS there were signs up for MOMs & Dad's, and even on Boards.ie there is a massive insistance on MOM, but out ang about all I hear is Mum, Mam, Mummu, or Mammy!
    Yep, ditto. It's more a local demographic here. Media twats are prone to it alright. Then again the amount of vocal strangulation that goes on in Irish Medja is a bit mad Ted. Especially among the women for some reason. TV3 is a beaut for it. Really dodgy probably cheap elocution lessons gone mad, mixed with a mid atlantic twang followed by a few months on a J1 to set it for life and bobs your mothers brother. Instant presenter. Though the background they're ashamed of pokes through on occasion. "Dese" and "does" rather than "these" and "those" and one common one is instead of "his" it comes out as "hees".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I Don't think anyone says mammy, maybe Super-rush !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This thread is original and interesting. AH needs more quality threads like this one.

Ah cheers snoogy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Mom is normal in Cork and Kerry, no idea why. My missus is nearly 30 and she's always said it. I've started referring to my Mam as Mom when talking to people down here, when I go back to Dublin she'll definitely be Mam again though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

I've always called my mother Mom and I'm nearly 30 and from south dublin so...

its horses for courses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I don't mind if country folk call their parents Mammy or Daddy. Bit childish. (I say Mam & Dad myself) but what is odd is calling them Mammy and Daddy when telling a story to someone.

Like: "Mammy always burns the toast..."

Eh, she's not my mammy. Her names not Mammy. Her (job!) description is a mammy. So say "My mammy always burns the toast."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Tails142 wrote: »

its horses for courses

It's horses for people from South Dublin. Horses and Moms... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

YORE MOM doesnt have quite the same ring to it as YORE MA, tbf

• Advertisement

Doug89 wrote: »
    Mom is normal in Cork and Kerry

:confused:

far from it, in my experience, and i've lived in both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've always called my mother 'mom'. If I'm ever referring to her in writing though it's always 'mum'. No idea why. The friends I grew up with were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Call my parents by their first names,always have!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tails142 wrote: »

its horses for courses
    Odd because I'm from a rugger bugger south Dublin background and hung around with same and 20 (and certainly before)years ago I knew no one who said Mom. Mum yes with the odd smatterings of mam and the even rarer mother. Well in the late 80's I did know one woman who said "mom", but she was a New Yorker. Why I reckon it's more recent was she was regularly slagged about it(in a nice way). By the same demographic most likely to say it today. The first time I heard it(from a non American) I'd say was in the early-mid 90's. Not far off the start of the oul celtic moggy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

Mom is normal in Cork and Kerry, no idea why. My missus is nearly 30 and she's always said it. I've started referring to my Mam as Mom when talking to people down here, when I go back to Dublin she'll definitely be Mam again though!

Probably depends on what school you went to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bitty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

My Dad grew up calling his Mother 'Mom' and he's in his mid 50s. He grew up in rural Co Limerick, but very close to the Cork border.......

This entire conversation is pathetic. Who the fuk cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Does anybody call their dad.....dod or dud?.....

juma wrote: »
    Since I'm not an inner city Dublin scumbag still struggling with the English language I never say "ma" when referring to my Mom.

I say ma or mum. And I'm not an inner city Dublin scumbag struggling with the English language.

I did however struggle to click the quote button and clicked thanks instead... Must be removed....

• Advertisement

Inbox wrote: »
    Ironically enough, a Mrs. Dodd was responsible for the founding of Fathers Day.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonora_Smart_Dodd

This entire conversation is pathetic. Who the fuk cares.

the person who started the thread and those who posted answering the question, presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

the usage of Maaa and Mom are equally cringeworthly. Mother/Mum sounds better and avoids the cultural cringe.

Mater if you are posh or old fashioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If anyone calls their mother mammy after the age of ten, they must be a bit soft in the head.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I call her Mam to her face.

I don't think the word is Mommy, or Mummy... I'm pretty sure it's Mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

mom
    dude
    awesome
    like wow
    epic
    epic fail
    lol
    oh my god (omg)
    other little annoying americanisms that are working their way into our way of communicating like a disease.

You sad lot. Just be yourself, be irish, stop trying to sound like the media whore-creatures that you see in that stomach churning program The hills.

I once seen the irish version of this show gay street...sorry i mean Fade street, all i can say is i don't consider the people in this program irish. They are some sort or anglo/american/west brit hybrid fakey phoney overly emotional cry-on-cue type things.

Truely embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Inbox wrote: »

Faaaah-sher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My problem with people calling their mother "mom" is that they probably didn't call her that 10 years ago.

You don't start changing the name you've always called your mother. You just don't :p

I don't think that is the case. I think most people as you say don't change the name they call their mother, its simply people only notice Irish people saying mom since they decided to hate on it because it is being used in some American TV show.

If its the most annoying thing in those peoples lives, fair play, they must have it good :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I usually call her Ma, and Mammy the odd time.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I don't mind if country folk call their parents Mammy or Daddy. Bit childish. (I say Mam & Dad myself) but what is odd is calling them Mammy and Daddy when telling a story to someone.

Like: "Mammy always burns the toast..."

Eh, she's not my mammy. Her names not Mammy. Her (job!) description is a mammy. So say "My mammy always burns the toast."

I know a woman who does this. It wouldnt be so bad if she was a teenager but she is in her forties, and bearing in mind I have never met her mother, she says things like "Mammy went to the doctors yesterday".

She also refers to all her relatives by their names when talking about them, so any update on family gossip(which I have little to no interest in to begin with, ends in a barrage of names of people with out any clue as to their relationships to one another, or to her"

"David was at Garys at the weekend, and they were talking about marys recent trip to the hospital, and I said to David, that I though Julio had put on weight. Then lillian came in and we were talking about louise".

When I tell stories I say "My mother, my father, my friend, my cousin". The rest is not need to know information.

Advertisement