Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you say mum, mom, mam or ma

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Used to be "Mum", sometimes "mother dearest" if I wanted something!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Mamaí agus dada... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

rorrissey wrote: »
    Mamaí agus dada... :o

Mise freisin. Except she's a Brit and doesn't get it so I drop the i at the end and do it in a posh accent to make her feel less of a foreigner :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Mammy, i'm 22 and pretty sure that won't be changing..

When i want her attention though and she's waffling on, i'll call her mother to annoy her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I say ma but I wont allow my son to call me It, I told him he could call me mum or my real name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

I say "mother".

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Mum or sometimes if I'm talking about her Mother or her christian name.

Mom sounds very american to me and Ma just doesn't suit our family. Mammy is something I would associate with native Irish speakers, but I suppose it should be Mammai (dunno how to do a fada).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Mam.
    Mother when i am sarcastically agreeing with her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

mam :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

MAM

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

D'Aul Wan or D'Aul fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Ma or Mam. Northside scumbag, me.

I'd agree "Mum" sounds ridiculous coming out of somone from Dublin, but it seems standard down in Cork and fits in fine with the accent.
    partyndbs wrote: »
    i say mum and think calling them mam or ma is disgusting well country folk can get away with saying mam but dublin people it is horrible
    Accent and choice of idioms are not the only areas in which one can let oneself down. Your written English, for example, is pretty ****ing horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Maaaaa..... 28 and i dont think it will change!! thou maybe mam at times....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

My parents have shuffled off this mortal coil - but I used to call them 'Ma' & 'Da'. It was affectionate, I liked it, and so did they. My children use a mix - 'Da', 'Dad', or 'Mum' (when I am dressed up.... ;)) Again, I like it, so do they.

But this, the OP, is deadly....

i say mum and think calling them mam or ma is disgusting well country folk can get away with saying mam but dublin people it is horrible

WOW!! Clearly I am missing something here. I was born in Dublin but never lived there. Have I missed out on something important?
    If you call your parents 'mam' or 'da' does that mean that you belong to some kind of neanderthal subspecies?

Just askin...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

mam,

i get called mammieeee by the youngest or ma ma or mammy by the 4 yr old with obviously speaks a bit of french

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'd call her mom, when Im giving out about her its 'my mother' >_>

She taught us to call her mom rather than mammy or ma etc, so I've always called her that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

It varies on the circumstances. I too am a Nort'soider so I refer to the 'rents as me ma and me oul boy or oul lad when I am in conversation with others. Addressing them directly I say Mum or Dad (well the oul boy's passed away now so..).

When my mother has a strop on I condescendingly address her as mater, mother or by her first name:

"Don't get tetchy, Mater"
    "My! My! What an outburst, Mother!"
    "Cool your cannons, there, Katherine!"

And when I want to be a bad son ala Nick Cotton I say:

"Oi! Woman! What's for dinner? Did you get them beers like I ordered?"

(she usually looks up from the crossword and says "you know where the cooker is, child!").

Mummy is faaaackin gay!
    Mom is equally pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Mammy.

Although that stopped as I hit puberty and ran into my teens and I started calling my mother by her first name. She's still bitter about it, occasionally getting in a huff and demanding I call her Mammy again. Just sounds weird to my ears though.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

I call my mother mam and my kids called me mam can't imagine saying anything else. Although it can be a bit annoying when kids draw out the maaam, can feel like your living with a flock of sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I say Mum, and I am not British, posh, snobby, rich, or from a certain part of Dublin [infact am from the opposite side of the country], nor did I watch too much British television shows growing up or any of the other things that people have stated on this thread.
    Nearly everyone I know says Mum.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

By her first name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

'Mom' is American.

Every fucking time this topic comes up, this horseshit is trotted out.

'Mom' is a Birmingham word, that's been in usage here since before America was discovered. Please don't call it an American word. I might be a lot of things, but a wannabe-American isn't one of them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What's wrong with mother/mam/mammy/ma like we used to always say??

Why are people starting this american sh1t and saying Mom??

I was in a thread in Legal Discussions yesterday: Mom
    Personal Issues today: Mom

Very irritating.

Edit.
    Mum is also okay. If you are posh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the hills/crap american shows on mtv are to blame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Perhaps their mothers prefer that to the nasal drawl of Maaaaa! like nails scraping down a blackboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Get a hobby imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I say MUM.

Problem, boards?

Advertisement