Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you say mum, mom, mam or ma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Piriz wrote: »
    ok, people who say mum, mom are either too posh to the point its laughable or pretentious and want to be perceived as being 'well spoken' and 'well off'.
    do they call their dad 'dod'? as for the OP you can say mum or mom and call the southside the good side all you want but when it comes to the craic, dublin wit, proper banter and slaggin the northside is yer only man, in other words keep your poxy poshness, i meet your type all the time and you's are f*ckin boring!
    i say mam or dad when speaking to them...
    ma or da when refering to them with friends sometimes (if you think thats disgusting your too delicate for dublin and you should try to mix with people outside your small circle, but people will smell the judgement off ya and tell you to f*ck off probably and so it continues...)
    mammy is perfectly acceptable for children only.

jaysus dry your eyes man I'm sure he meant it in a tongue in cheek kind of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Mam 24-7

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

I was raised calling them by their first names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Can you be banned on AH for saying "your mummy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

super-rush wrote: »
    No its mammy.

End of.

Thread closed.

That just sounds incredible creepy coming from someone older than 9 years of age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Larianne wrote: »
    That just sounds incredible creepy coming from someone older than 9 years of age.

Theres nothing creepy about loving your mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

From South Dublin but definitely not the posh part. I called her "ma" as a kid but for some reason started calling her "mam" about the same time I realised I wasn't destined for a life of crime like most of my classmates. I don't think there's anything wrong with "ma"; to paraphrase those MTV fools, it's a Dublin thing. The Irish "mom" is also slightly shorter than the American pronunciation as far as I can tell. "Mum" is defintely a West Brit thing, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

phasers wrote: »

"Mum" is for English people/posh wannabes

It is in my bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I usually say mammy or ma :D I have said mum but not as much :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i've always said mam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

was ma till i hit 20, from then on its mother or when drunk her christian name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

+1 with Makikomi.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

It irks me no end to hear people saying 'mom'. Only started hearing it in the past few years. like, what, do you think you're American or what? I used to say mam. that's normal, nevermind this 'culchie' shite.

You're a snob if you get annoyed by the name someone calls their mother. if someone was raised to say 'mum' or mom its none of your fcking business. And everyone can STFU with this 'American', 'West Brit' crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ma and Da

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Mam for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I blame the parents or should that be pUrents! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

"Birth Giving Vessel"

Very formal but whatever

I used to say Mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Wilson91

I've always said "My ma" when talking about them, but for ages it was mammy when speaking to her face lol. Eventually that changed to mum as i got older... still call her ma at times when talking to her though, usually jokingly...dunno, it varies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭CitizenKeane

I haven't called my mother Mammy since I was a child (I call her Mam).
    But both my mother and father (and each of their siblings) called their mothers "Mammy" up until the day they died in their 90s.
    My parents were both well into their 50s at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

mumamomy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

It's odd but I called my mum by her Christian name, mainly because dad did. But then after I turned six or seven and I started reading the Beano and the Dandy, I called her mum, mainly because everybody in those comics did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I say mam.

Thats Limerick citaaaayyy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Jimmy Saville calls his Mum 'The Duchess'.

She's dead now but he kept all her clothes and has them dry cleaned once a year.

He remains unmarried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Mum or her name if I'm annoyed with her. She hates being called Mom or Mam and if you call her Maaaa :eek:...watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

I think in the Gaeltacht, the Irish for Mam sounds the same as Mom.
    But that is NOT to be mistaken for Connemara people trying to pull off an OC accent.:D

you got that spot on! call my máthair mom but not in the american way,

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Raic

When addressing her it's generally Mum, A Mham or A Mháithrín. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

"ma" til I was 8 and and then I called her by her first name.

why,
    because anytime id call her "MA" she wouldnt answer,
    so it would be "ma, mam, MA, MAAAAAAAAA" with no response
    where as when i would say her first name she would turn around instantly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I refer to her as "Mother Dearest"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Ma...

Advertisement